PDA

View Full Version : how much peanut butter?

sloopjonboswell
03-18-2007, 11:07
it seems like i should cut down how much im taking (roughly 2+ cups) im sure i'll only use it for lunches but i already have lots of gorp.planning on having 3-4days in the pack.:D thanks if anybody can help, back to trimming.

Vi+
03-18-2007, 11:50
Sloopjonboswell,

Your question, “how much peanut butter?” has very subjective answers.

You touched upon one aspect - “i already have lots of gorp” - which is how much else you have to eat.

How much do you like Peanut Butter?

How much Peanut Butter do you typically eat?

What are you already carrying, even without carrying Peanut Butter, that you would eat with Peanut Butter?

To help you eat more Peanut Butter, I suggest you try Arrowhead Mills Valencia Peanut Butter which is available in Crunchy or Creamy. I quote, “Made from Valencia peanuts. Smaller and sweeter than other peanuts, they are dried by sunshine, roasted and unblanched for sheer perfection.” “Gluten Free. Sodium Free. Good Source of Protein. No oils or stabilizers added. Oil separation is natural with this product.” “Ingredients: Roasted unblanched Valencia Peanuts. May contain 0.5% or less of the following: Cashews, Almonds, and/or Sesame Seeds.”

There is a new and small caveat, “May contain other nuts and seeds.” I suspect these “others” as well as the “0.5% or less of the following” may be incidental, added residually by shipping, storage and processing. You know, the Legal Department is working hard.

I’ll add, it’s delicious.

Peanut Butter is heavy. It’s also adaptable and, when you’re really tired, it can stand alone; just eat and sleep.

You’re going to eat it. You have to carry it. Decisions, decisions. Good luck.

Vi+
03-18-2007, 11:52
Reference Post #2: Telephone 1 / 800 / 434 - 4246.

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2007, 12:24
You can also use it to make peanut sauce for ramen. Just add a little onion, pepper, and garlic flakes and a spoon of honey or sugar, if you have it. Peanuts and peanut butter are a great source of fat with a little protein thrown in, too.

http://www.peanut-institute.org/NutritionBasics.html

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 17:17
I would take all of the peanut butter, and I would take half of it intravenously. And I would take twice as much of the cheese, but only one third of the oatmeal.

Topcat
03-18-2007, 18:01
I would take all of the peanut butter, and I would take half of it intravenously. And I would take twice as much of the cheese, but only one third of the oatmeal.

you only say that because you didnt put peanut butter on the oatmeal...a yummy treat making oatmeal worth the carrying:D

freefall
03-18-2007, 18:56
you only say that because you didnt put peanut butter on the oatmeal...a yummy treat making oatmeal worth the carrying:D

Not to mention the favorable effects of oatmeal on the digestive system.

I usually carried a 16oz. of PB and it was gone by end of the week.

swift
03-18-2007, 20:06
Provident Pantry has peanut butter powder, it is quite good and easy to add water and re-constitute. crush up some peanuts and add to make the crunchy stuff....MMMMMM

Topcat
03-18-2007, 20:17
Provident Pantry has peanut butter powder, it is quite good and easy to add water and re-constitute. crush up some peanuts and add to make the crunchy stuff....MMMMMM
is there a website?

TDale
03-18-2007, 20:22
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FS+D140_A_name_E_Peanut+Butter+ Powder

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 17:20
I LOVE peanut butter. I carry a full tub. I put it on my ramen, which is especially good, on crackers, rice cakes, PLAIN, everything.

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 18:22
I LOVE peanut butter. I carry a full tub. I put it on my ramen, which is especially good, on crackers, rice cakes, PLAIN, everything.

I've always drawn the most curious looks when I explained my Hellmans mayo and strawberry jelly sandwiches. Now I think I understand the source of those looks.:)

The trail made me love the damn stuff and nobody here has mentioned yet that when you finally put your pack down at camp each day it's a great quick snack while you get started with domestics. That's my favorite snack of the day.
Peace
SOBO6/07

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 18:25
And by "the damn stuff" I mean a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, not the afore mentioned mayo and jelly - that's just for special occaisions. :rolleyes: :)

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 22:34
Everyone should try it. I got the idea from a chinese dish I like. You cook the ramen. Drain it. Then let it cool. Then you mix it in some peanut butter ( helps if you put the two in a zip lock ) and then you add some soy sauce and EAT. SOOOOO good. Mmm.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2007, 00:14
OK, I'll test it here in the kitchen first. Might make a good alternative on the trail.

atraildreamer
03-24-2007, 15:33
Stop & Shop... 3 lb jar...it's worth the weight! :banana

Sticks41
03-24-2007, 16:20
OK, I'll test it here in the kitchen first. Might make a good alternative on the trail.

Let me know how it works out. Everyone in my crew makes fun of me when we get to camp and I bust sit out. They're like 'EW'. But I know that they're just jealous.

Penne
03-24-2007, 18:34
Let me know how it works out. Everyone in my crew makes fun of me when we get to camp and I bust sit out. They're like 'EW'. But I know that they're just jealous.

I'd be jealous. You're basically making a thai peanut butter sauce, what's not to love. I'd recommend you add some cayemme pepper and garlic powder.

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2007, 18:55
A bit off topic, but any Fluffernutter fans out there?

Or is it just a Boston thing? :-?

MOWGLI
03-24-2007, 19:07

My Mom made them for me while I was growing up. I loved 'em when I was a kid. I suppose I'd eat one on the trail, but not at home. Unless there was nothing else in the cupboard.

mudhead
03-24-2007, 19:20
Works north of the river, too. Everyone knows that marshmallow fluff is fat free.

warraghiyagey
03-24-2007, 19:36

While I'm in Boston now I grew up w/ fluffernutter and is a fave. And I sent The Dude my pack list last not (and I swear I'm not making this up) it included "fluffernutter" under food supplies. :)

camich
03-25-2007, 15:48

I made one for my son about a month ago.....he didn't like it:eek: I couldn't believe it.

Vi+
03-25-2007, 17:49
Warraghiyagey,

You advise (Post #12), “... my Hellmans mayo and strawberry jelly sandwiches.”

After reading the foregoing, I looked back to your Trail Name - I do earnestly hope that IS your “Trail Name” - and thought, “Now, ‘warraghiyagey’ sounds like the noise I’d make the first time I’d try this.”

I have a fondness - yes, I’ll admit, it's strange - for a split banana, with peanut butter smeared on, and mayonnaise over the peanut butter.

warraghiyagey
03-26-2007, 01:18
Warraghiyagey,

You advise (Post #12), “... my Hellmans mayo and strawberry jelly sandwiches.” -
. . . I have a fondness - yes, I’ll admit, it's strange - for a split banana, with peanut butter smeared on, and mayonnaise over the peanut butter.

Now I wonder if Elvis ever gave that one a whirl. Other than the mayo and jam my tastes aren't particularly eccentric but with that said, I most certainly have to give the 'PB Mayo Banana Split' a go.
I'm also currently working on the Ramen and PB recipe.
As the for the trail name, a few people on the trail knew the meaning. I protected it that way. I was with this excellent group of - the Mobsters - people who honored each other and we had great fun hiking Maine.
The name is dear to me.:) :)
Now I'm off to try this PBM Banana split - on wheat of course.;) :)

Sticks41
03-26-2007, 16:53
i should enter my ramen peanut butter recipe to backpacker's cookoff

warraghiyagey
03-26-2007, 17:17
i should enter my ramen peanut butter recipe to backpacker's cookoff

Well the results are in, from my kitchen at least and the ramen and PB recipe is quite a surprise.
While this recipe will make a nice change up on the trail I did as was someone suggested and added soy. That was a clincher.
Then I got creative with a little wasabe and it was even better!!!
The only thing I didn't try was Hellman's. . . well obviously. . . back to the kitchen.
PB and Ramen, excellent.:)

Sticks41
03-26-2007, 22:34
I like to add soy sauce and sesame seeds. Mmmm. Did you make it cold? The trick on the trail is to hydrate the ramen in a ziplock and then drain nad add the PB. It makes clenaup easier and prep easier. Then add the soy suace and seeds and mmm. Ill try the suggestion from this thread. I am craving it. Ahh. can't wait to get on the trail again.

warraghiyagey
03-27-2007, 01:25
I like to add soy sauce and sesame seeds. Mmmm. Did you make it cold? The trick on the trail is to hydrate the ramen in a ziplock and then drain nad add the PB. It makes clenaup easier and prep easier. Then add the soy suace and seeds and mmm. Ill try the suggestion from this thread. I am craving it. Ahh. can't wait to get on the trail again.

I actually mixed it in right after rinsing thinking it would loosen and stir easier. It did. Next time I'm trying sesame. I don't thenk the wasabi was a good match.:rolleyes:
When are you going on the trail?

SOBO7

peanuts
03-27-2007, 10:30
i just had ramen w/pb & sesame the other day for dinner at home:) and yes i also add soy and red chili pepper and chili sauce!:) happy happy happy yuuums

bfitz
03-27-2007, 11:10
What the hell is a fluffernutter and why would anyone in their right mind want to eat one?

peanuts
03-27-2007, 12:01
a fluffenutter is pb and marshmellow combined. you find it where the marshmellow is sold, it comes in a jar.

TN_Hiker
03-27-2007, 12:03
What the hell is a fluffernutter and why would anyone in their right mind want to eat one?

Peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwiches. I do believe it is a yankee thing. I have had them, but a big fan of it. However; on the trail I bet it is yummy

peanuts
03-27-2007, 12:07
its very yummy, tn hiker!

mudhead
03-27-2007, 12:18
While you are building one, dip into the peanut butter, and the the fluff. Eat. Kinda messy on the trail. Don't put too much fluff on or it oozes. Better at home or at the truck.

Lanthar Mandragoran
03-27-2007, 12:48
why would anyone in their right mind want to eat one?

Because they are awesome... Oh, and making them with warm fresh toast is triple awesome... mmmm... yummy, melty, gooeyness... ahhhhh.......

Sticks41
03-27-2007, 15:10
I actually mixed it in right after rinsing thinking it would loosen and stir easier. It did. Next time I'm trying sesame. I don't thenk the wasabi was a good match.:rolleyes:
When are you going on the trail?

SOBO7

Try is cold next time. Just run the ramen under cold water for a little. It is pretty hard to mix the ramen, but it definately tastes better cold.

Try the sesame! Mmmmm.

And my crew is leaving on Saturday for a Massachusetts section hike.

Jester2000
03-27-2007, 17:41
Because they are awesome... Oh, and making them with warm fresh toast is triple awesome... mmmm... yummy, melty, gooeyness... ahhhhh.......

Sounds like somebody has to change their shorts. . .

bfitz
03-27-2007, 18:15
I thought it had something to do with adult movies. And tapioca.....?

eightiesguy
04-07-2007, 17:00
has anyone tried the powered peanut butter? How easy is it to use? How does it taste?

atraildreamer
04-07-2007, 21:28
The most disgusting peanut butter recipe is at the bottom of the page at this link:
http://www.nuvo.net/hammer/cols/1997...r_2_20_97.html (http://www.nuvo.net/hammer/cols/1997/hammer_2_20_97.html)

Bachelor Style Peanut Butter & Jelly & Mac & Cheese :eek:

1 package Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinner
7 tbsp. generic peanut butter
7 tbsp. grape jelly
1/4 cup milk
Prepare Macaroni and Cheese dinner as directed on box, except OMIT the 1/2 cup of margarine. Before adding cheese powder, mix peanut butter and jelly into macaroni. Stir well. Add cheese flavoring to taste. Serve with plenty of water on the side. You'll need it.