PDA

View Full Version : PFTHD - Post-failed thru hike depression...anyone else?

VictoriaM
03-18-2007, 11:40
I've been back for a few days now after injuring my feet badly enough to have to get off the trail. Since then, I've been sitting around the house in a funk. This was my one chance at a thru - for various reasons, there won't be another chance for me. Before you all start getting cheery and begin the "the trail will still be there" talk, please keep this in mind. There will not be another chance for me. Ever.

Has anyone else here gone through this? How long did it take you to snap out of it? I've offered to resupply and slack all my friends when they get up this way, but now I'm wondering if seeing them again so far along in their hikes will only make this worse (not that that will stop me, I still want to help them).

Anyway, it sucks to be me right now. I wish I had walked off the injury.

Almost There
03-18-2007, 11:53
Walking off the injury, doesn't work depending on the injury, you will only make it worse. Although never having thru-hiked I have had to cut long section hikes short, and it does suck when you put time you saved up away, and you end your hike a little into the time you have.

What did the doctor say about how long you have to take off to let your feet heal? What I am saying is, why couldn't you start again a little further up the trail? It may not be a complete thru, but who cares, you are doing this because you love being out there, and if you have the time right now, why not get out there and do what you "can" do.

What you're feeling is completely normal, but maybe a revised plan can help break you out of your funk. If you can get out there again, try hiking in trail runners(ended my foot problems) and don't go barefoot again.

I don't know your situation and so have no idea why you can "never" try it again, I have to wait till retirement, but I will definitely be out there when I am around 60.

Dreams like life are never perfect, but maybe you can still live part of your dream.

I hope you can work this out to an acceptable or happy resolution for you!

Topcat
03-18-2007, 12:11
Since you already had the time budgeted and the prep done, why dont you do some longer sections this year when you feel better. Pick out the areas that you were particularly looking forward to and do them without all the miles in between.

Disciple
03-18-2007, 12:12
Hello Victoria - very sorry to hear about your foot and the change in your hike plans as a result. On the up-side (if i understand you correctly), you are not seriously injured and unable to hike at all. I'm no doctor, but maybe the best medicine to cure your canceled hike ills, is to just begin doing what you are able to do. Life is a series of many twists and turns in the trail but as the saying goes...'its not about the destination its the journey', and regardless of your thru hike status, your journey continues. Revise your plans live/hike to your fullest...Katahdin comes in many forms! God bless.

Sly
03-18-2007, 12:19
I can't imagine, but who knows it could happen to me this year. But then again, I wouldn't cash in it so soon. I've only had one injury to get me off trail but returned ASAP. If you've allowed 6 months, take whatever to get better and try again.

Of course, if you have better things to do....

Lumberjack
03-18-2007, 12:34
The season is still young and there is still time to fix the footies and hike.

at only 26 years old I would not say "never" just yet....you may have to wait a long time but if you really want it the trail will always be waiting for you.

let your foot heal and start planning your next trip. Perhaps sectioning might be worth a consideration. Its far better to hike half the trail then none at all...

VictoriaM
03-18-2007, 12:45
My husband doesn't want me to go back out, so it's over for me. I can't go back and finish now.

My injury won't end hiking forever, but it will probably be a few more weeks at least. I still can't comfortably walk around my own house. I'll definitely do some hiking when I'm healed, but sectioning doesn't appeal to me - the dream for me has always been doing a thru, so sectioning would seem pointless for me.

Oh, and at 26 I would say "never". Yes, the trail will still be around, but I won't be able to take six months again. Even if my situation allowed it at some point, my husband, future kids, and physical condition wouldn't. I'm a down to earth kind of girl, so I'm being realistic about this.

rafe
03-18-2007, 12:54
Anyway, it sucks to be me right now. I wish I had walked off the injury.

What's the big deal about thru-hiking versus section hiking? By the third night in the woods, it's all the same -- you're dirty, smelly, hungry, sore, and happy. It's all good.

I still berate myself for giving up a thru hike in 1990. OTOH, I've enjoyed the heck out of most (if not all) of the section hikes I've done since then, and sometime very soon that patchwork quilt will be done, and I'll be able to say, I've walked from Georgia to Maine, on the A.T. Big whoop!

There's no shame, and no hurry. Heal up and walk what you can, when you can. Thru-hiking is over-rated. Even LW agrees. ;)

applejack
03-18-2007, 12:57
that sounds pretty sour that your husband has decided you can't go back out and enjoy what's left of your summer off once your foot has healed. it's possible that something like that is something you may end up holding against him in your mind in the future, as it seems to mean a great deal to you. i'd personally say that if you were to get back on the trail where you left off anytime in april you'd have plenty of time to do the trip. i started at springer on may 22 and had plenty of time. took a week off in vermont, finished oct 2.

Topcat
03-18-2007, 13:10
In 1985 i had a chance to spend a year in Paraguay. My wife said if i did, she wouldnt be here when i came back so i didnt. 22 years later (and many life experiences) i still resent that and wish i had just gone.

Bravo
03-18-2007, 13:35
My husband doesn't want me to go back out, so it's over for me. I can't go back and finish now.

Must suck living your life for someone else. I guess that's what some folks call love. Hmmm.:rolleyes:

RockStar
03-18-2007, 13:45
Victoria...I got off the trail after reaching Bly Gap last year b/c of my back. I got really depressed but, planned to take a train up to Harpers ferry and atempt a flip-flop. I went against Dr.s orders for Physical Therapy and just tried muscle relazers to stop SEVERE muscle spasms that kept me up at night...I had to come home there too. I got the worst depression of my life watching ppl I hiked with finish. It didn't lift until I decided to go back and started to buy gear/plan. So about 9-11 months of feeling sorry for myself led to 30 unwanted unneeded lbs. and a lot of time I could have used to plan wasted. Never say never. Anything could happen.

I planned for over 6 years before I actualy tried and during those 6 years...I thought I would NEVER be able to go do it...it was just a dream. Then life changed for the better and I had the chance. I DONT know your situation but, I know I have someone that loves me who HATES hiking and HATES that I like it not to mention the thought of being without me for 6 months. However, they'd rather me go hiking again and stay 6 months to finish than to keep talking about gear,mileage,food, etc etc ALL THE TIME! ;) So maybe obsessing about it out loud will convince your other half to WANT to ship you to Harpers Ferry for your flip-flop. The trail starting there isn't so bad at ALL.

Tramper Al
03-18-2007, 13:56
I don't know, maybe I have a whole different way of looking at this hiking thing. Of course, I am a sectioneer and peakbagger.

I see a lot of people, especially here at Whiteblaze, who talk about "failure" in the context of a thru hike that didn't go quite as hoped or planned. It seems to me that much of this feeling of failure originates when the hiker goes in with the assumption that anything other than hiking the ENTIRE trail end-to-end in a single season is a wholly inadequate experience. I also see a lot of questions about "why did your thru hike fail", or "how did you feel when you failed" or whatever. I think it is particularly wrong for those who did thru-hike to consider it failure for others who could not or did not do so.

I'm all for setting a goal and striving to reach it, no question. As a sectioneer with goals, I do have more leeway and can adjust my plans at any time without getting off track. Those with peakbagging goals have much the same situation.

I listen to all you thru hikers, though, who tell me that just being out there is the true experience. And that's my goal too - just to be out there. Anything else I "accomplish" is just icing on the cake.

So, I have to wonder if much of the sense of "failure" stems from too narrow a definition of sucess.

Of course this may be of no help to you at this point, Victoria, but I'm going to guess that you actually achieved and accomplished quite a lot in your trail experience, regardless.

I'd rather set myself up to enjoy the experience, however the details actually work out.

Lilred
03-18-2007, 14:01
Sorry Victoria, but if my husband told me I couldn't fulfill a dream of a lifetime, I'd tell him where exactly to shove his selfishness and I would go. I know I don't know your situation, your marriage or either one of you, but I would NEVER let another human control my life, EVER. Been there, done that. That's why I have an ex.

Now, about that foot, or feet. Take your finger and press down real hard on the side of your heel, just below the ankle bone, on the inside of the foot. If it hurts real bad, it's probable plantar facitis. I have it and it can cause me to hobble with pain. If it hurts when you press, go out and buy a pair of Crocs if you don't have some already. The pain and the limp will go away almost as soon as you put them on. Works for me, and has worked for several other people I work with. They bought crocs on my recommendation and they thank me all the time. I wear them all the time now and my pain is now GONE. Also, a pair of fitted orthotic insoles works like a charm for hiking. I took my boots to a doc and he fitted those insoles to my foot, in my boot. They're not cheap, $90, but they'll last a lifetime. They are the kind that you heat up first and form to your foot. You have plenty of time to heal and get back out there and finish. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Mr. VictoriaM, quit trying to keep her home and help her get back out there. Maybe you're concerned for her health or maybe you're just selfish and controlling, I don't know. Either way, STOP IT and help her get back out there.

When I'm out hiking, I continually thank God for a husband that is not a control freak and helps me fulfill my dreams.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-18-2007, 14:07
Victoria, first, my condolences for your injury.

I have been in your shoes. The dinosaurs were planning to thru hike before a really bad head-on collusion in August, 2004, left the female dino (me) with a some serious injuries that make thru-hiking impossible. We have both cried many tears and had a lot of trouble wrapping-our-heads-and-hearts-around-reality. I can no longer hike fast enough nor carry enough weight for a thru-hike.

It has taken several years for us to adjust and has been hard on our marriage. We finally came to realize that we had three options - the male dino could do a thru without me, we could attempt to section hike the whole thing (and the male dino could do any parts I simply couldn't alone) or we could abandon the idea. Abandoning the idea was not an option for me. The male dino doesn't want to thru without me so we slowly came to terms with being section hikers.

At first, I felt like you "sectioning doesn't appeal to me - the dream for me has always been doing a thru, so sectioning would seem pointless for me." However, I slowly came to recognize that I have to deal with life on life's terms. My leg is permanently injured -- and I was told it would not get any better. The best I could hope for was to strengthen the less badly injured muscles to take over the work of those that were nearly totally paralyzed. I may or may not be able to hike all parts of the AT, but I can certainly hike sections of it.

I've spent much of the last 2.5 years doing physical therapy on my leg and changing our gear to fit the new constraints of our hike. I've examine many sleeping systems and found two - one ground and one hammock - that work for my leg. The male dino switched to an external frame pack so he can carry more of our gear. I switched to a smaller pack and started buying ultralight and super-ultralight gear. I have made a lot of our new gear so it could be customized for our unique needs - things like a double quilt with more insulation on my side (I'm a cold sleeper and he is a warm sleeper). The male dino has had to learn to trust that those flimsy little sil-nylon tents and tarps really work and are durable. He is even coming around to the idea that a hammock might be OK.

Victoria, I'm not going to tell you any of this was easy or painless. Sometimes life changes your dreams. I hope you and your husband can come to some sort of a compromise that you both can live with regarding what you do with the rest of your time off. I've had some things in my life I didn't do because of spouses and I regret them -- the spouses are gone, but the dreams live on. I hope to live long enough to make my dreams (or as much of them as I still can) a reality. Today I appreciate that the joy is in the journey, not in the achievement.

The Weasel
03-18-2007, 14:26

My injury won't end hiking forever, but it will probably be a few more weeks at least. I still can't comfortably walk around my own house. I'll definitely do some hiking when I'm healed, but sectioning doesn't appeal to me - the dream for me has always been doing a thru, so sectioning would seem pointless for me.

Oh, and at 26 I would say "never". Yes, the trail will still be around, but I won't be able to take six months again. Even if my situation allowed it at some point, my husband, future kids, and physical condition wouldn't. I'm a down to earth kind of girl, so I'm being realistic about this.

Well, I'm with you on the "don't tell me I'll do it again." Yes, it sucks. I know how it feels. You're not alone. There are a lot of us who didn't make it and may not.

There are some things you can do: There are other long trails with much of the same glory in different ways that aren't the same length but have scenery, friendship and panache to them, with lengths that you can still probably do year. Come out and do the John Muir Trail here in California...in a month or thereabouts you can bag several "teeners", on trails that will not endanger your leg. One of them is Mt Whitney, a "one day" up-and-down that's the highest mountain in the lower 48. When you finish the JMT, you're in an elite crowd, and I plan to do Whitney next year. If you have your gear ready, all you need is a ticket (Sacramento or San Fran or Reno).

I'm sorry for what happened. It stinks, and, to use a phrase that I got to know well once upon a time, "Life stinks, then it gets nasty." So you're in good company (other than mine, but the others I know that didn't make it are pretty cool), and think of what you can do instead.

The Weasel

gsingjane
03-18-2007, 14:27
(((VictoriaM)))... I surely hope you will get some good, sympathetic yet constructive responses here on this board. I really feel so sorry for you right now, it must be so awful to feel as you do currently.

I have children that are almost as old as you are, so please forgive me if I'm going to sound overly maternal... it's sad to see that life can be so full of disappointments. This is probably not the first major difficulty you've had, nor (sigh) is it likely to be the last. Many - in fact I'd venture to say, most if not all of us - on this board who are past our 20's have had our fair share of things that didn't work out as we'd hoped and planned. We're living with the consequences of poor choices, uninformed decision-making, or just plain bad luck. On some of those things, life eventually gives you a do-over, but on some of them, you don't and one way or the other have to make your peace with it. Only time will tell whether you'll get another shot at your thru-hike dream, or whether you'll eventually find a way "around" your hurt and disappointment without actually completing that particular thing.

Before I had my kids, I read and heard so much about how wonderful a great birth experience can be. It would be life-changing, affirming, do all sorts of great things for me forever, I would never forget it. Well, short of having my children (or me!) die at birth, all four of my birth experiences were about as awful as you can imagine. No gory details, but just, something that I'd believed would be so wonderful, just wasn't, not in any way. And, of course, there were NO do-overs on that one. It was what it was, and always will be. But I eventually was able to deal with my feelings about it, by realizing, partly, that my expectations were faulty and that having and loving and enjoying my children over the course of their lives was the truly important aspect of being a mom, not having some "mountaintop" experience when they were born. All things being equal, I wish the births had gone better, but I'm now okay with the fact that they didn't.

Let yourself hurt and grieve and start to heal now. Be good to yourself - this doesn't necessarily mean holing up with an unlimited supply of Ring-Dings and romance books, but find other things to nourish your spirit. Just spend some simple time outdoors with no performance expectations. Have fun with the friends whose company you might have missed during your thru. Do some things with your husband that you both enjoy. Take the opportunity of this window in your life to do something else creative and interesting. Try to connect with whatever higher power you believe in, to start getting some insight on why this happened. And... God bless you and keep you.

Hugs,

Jane in CT

The Weasel
03-18-2007, 15:20
Sorry Victoria, but if my husband told me I couldn't fulfill a dream of a lifetime, I'd tell him where exactly to shove his selfishness and I would go. I know I don't know your situation, your marriage or either one of you, but I would NEVER let another human control my life, EVER. Been there, done that. That's why I have an ex.

Mr. VictoriaM, quit trying to keep her home and help her get back out there. Maybe you're concerned for her health or maybe you're just selfish and controlling, I don't know. Either way, STOP IT and help her get back out there.

When I'm out hiking, I continually thank God for a husband that is not a control freak and helps me fulfill my dreams.

Good friend, we do not know others' marriages well enough here, I think, to say these things. Vic will do as is best for her life, and I'm sure you respect that as much as the rest of us do.

The Weasel

sleeveless
03-18-2007, 16:23
Victoria,

I hiked the trail in 2005 starting on my 60 birthday. I went alone. I am sure my husband would not have wanted me to leave for 6 months when we first got married but then I wouldn't have wanted that either. At 60 he missed me but didn't even think about saying don't go, he knew better.
As others have said to you, life has many twists and turns and your time will come. I also would say as others have, heal and get back on the trail. I had tendinitis on the top of my foot and had to take a week off in Damascus. I had sore feet just behind the toes, almost all of the hike until maybe New England, probably by then they were just numb, in fact a year and a half later they still are not the same as they were, probably never will be. I found that when my feet really hurt if I took a 2 or 3 min break it made all the difference in the world. Get your husband interested in backpacking and do small family trips, the time will come for another long hike, maybe after the kids are grown as mine was. Take care.

Blue Jay
03-18-2007, 16:29
My husband doesn't want me to go back out, so it's over for me.

Wow, I was sure slavery was abolished. I'm sure you could get a new husband as female hikers are rare and much valued.

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 16:45
Victoria --

Life, as they say, is full of compromises. If your husband doesn't want you completing the AT, what would he say to you giving the Long Trail a throw?

It's much shorter -- you could do it in three to four weeks comfortably. More of a vacation rather than a life changing commitment. It's also not a section hike -- an End to End of the Long Trail would give you a sense of accomplishment.

Also, if you time it right, say doing it in August northbound, you could hike with your buddies from the AT, as the southern 95 miles are the AT.

Regardless, I think you should definitely come to the Billville Hiker Feed in July. Sometimes the best cure for Post Traumatic Hike Stress Disorder is being around other hikers & trail-related folks.

got milf?
03-18-2007, 16:56
My husband doesn't want me to go back out, so it's over for me. Even if my situation allowed it at some point, my husband, future kids, and physical condition wouldn't. I'm a down to earth kind of girl, so I'm being realistic about this.

You're going to have kids with this guy? Who tells you not to fulfill the dream of a lifetime, while you're not tied down by the responsibilities of kids yet? (Notice, I said yet.)

He sounds like a "it's my way or the highway" type. Take the highway, veer off onto the trail, and tell him to have his own kids.

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 16:58
. . . tell him to have his own kids.

That's sort of insensitive. Have you considered the fact that he's tried to get pregnant and is having fertility issues?

applejack
03-18-2007, 17:07
ha! lol - here's offering you some praise, jester, that which i know you have unquenchable thirst for!

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 17:14
ha! lol - here's offering you some praise, jester, that which i know you have unquenchable thirst for!

Ahh, praise of and for me! It has been a while since someone other than me has directed praise my way.

I momentarily consider hijacking this thread and turning it into a new "In Praise of Me" thread. But no! I recognize that Victoria deserves her own space.

I praise myself for my wisdom and unselfishness.

1azarus
03-18-2007, 17:44
those of us with a few more years on our feet know that life goes on... and that there are all sorts of permutations of our lives with mates, with children, with parents. complicated beyond words, painful sometimes... those (future) kids will grow. you and your husband will probably grow, too!!! who knows, one of your unborn children may invite you on the trail!!! mine did after some 25 years off the trail for me raising my family, and that has made my reborn hiking passion all the more special. be patient with life. and condolences for the loss of this thru.

Vi+
03-18-2007, 18:14
VictoriaM,

You advise, “I've been sitting around the house in a funk. This was my one chance at a thru - for various reasons, there won't be another chance for me. ... There will not be another chance for me. Ever. ... I wish I had walked off the injury.”

Re: “This was my one chance at a thru - for various reasons, there won't be another chance for me.”

Who knows, you may be right. I’m sure it feels that way right now. Each of us is different. Each relationship increases our differences geometrically. What I prefer, my wife may not. Each of us needs to make compromises. It is, however, actually impossible for anyone to KNOW the future, as a fact.

Re: “I wish I had walked off the injury.”

All injuries aren’t simply walked off.

You ask, “Has anyone else here gone through this? How long did it take you to snap out of it?”

A long-standing but only rarely recurring injury ended my thru-hike but a short distance into it. Nothing dramatic, certainly not befitting some heroic adventure story.

I recall the starting date each year. I reconsider another thru-hike every year. Some of the good things are: (1) I had a job which entailed extensive travel, working long hours even when not traveling, and often going long periods of time with no days off. I realize now how much I enjoy spending time with my wife. I don’t want to be apart from her for anything like half a year. (2) I spent the last years at work dreaming about and planning my thru-hike. My thru-hike, regardless of its short length, was a great success by that measure.

P.S. What the hell is “Llama Punch?” High energy drink, martial art, marital aid, all of the above?

Hey, Jester2000,

Now that I know the limits - “Try to be open minded. But not so open minded that your brains leak out of your head.” - I’m going to relax a bit.

Thanks

Fannypack
03-18-2007, 18:34

u say that u will definitely do some hiking... well, when u hike u are doing a section of a trail, therefore u are sectioning....

When and if I go out to the AT this spring or summer I will be doing a section of the AT, I may not complete what I plan to do or I may do more than planned (I doubt it) but I will be on the trail, not at work, and hopefully among friends...

I hope u go out to the AT this spring and/or summer to have fun and backpack and improve your on trail skills... Take your husband and then he can see what he is missing. Of course, u must be prepared for him to say that he is staying home next time.

U must remember that thru-hiking the AT is YOUR dream and your friends, family and co-workers probably have NO idea why you want to do this. You probably will never get them to understand your passion for backpacking nor should u try to get them to understnad WHY u do it. It is your passion...

Get in shape walking the neighborhood streets, 1st with no weight, then add a little at a time and finally STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Fannypack
03-18-2007, 19:05
I read your Jan 24, 2007 entry, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165674, and it sounds to me like u were very comfortable hiking with Bird Legs & friends for the w/e. And from what I have read in your Prep hike entries, u seem enjoy hiking with Bird Legs so I was wondering if u have been able to talk with her since u returned to NJ??

As I said in my earlier post, good luck and hopefully your current mental & physical situation will improve quickly.

minnesotasmith
03-18-2007, 21:12
I finished my 2006 thruhike attempt, and while I was out there, during that time something precious slipped away from me, probably irreplaceably, that kills me when I think of it. On the AT, it's a bit like being a Rip Van Winkle; you expect the people in the world to stay the same between when you leave and when you get back, and that is not going to be the case.

Oh, and a thruhike is NOT the most important thing in the world, certainly not on the level of a marriage. I would not advocate leaving a spouse over their opposition to you undertaking one.

judypudy
03-18-2007, 22:03
Victoria-

My stomach dropped when I turned to the last entry of your trailjournal and saw "Post #1" - not only because I feel horrible for you but I'm so afriad that's what will happen to me. I'm quitting my job and selling my house so the last thing I want is to be homeless, unemployed, injured and shacking up at Mom and Dad's in the bedroom I grew up in. My condolences.

You had some good suggestions - like the Long Trail - but maybe it would be good to find something to focus on other than hiking and the AT. I remember in your prep entries when you were packing your mail drops you were horrified by the amount of packaging food came in and you wanted to
start a garden when your hike was over. What about that? Or something else you could immerse yourself in. Or stop checking out trailjournals and whiteblaze (I make that resolution all the time and always break it - do as I say, not as I do)

Take care -

shades of blue
03-18-2007, 22:05
Victoria
I won't pretend to understand your marriage or physical condition...maybe you have a disease that has a chronic degeneration of bones or such. If not, I've seen many people of 60 and 70 thru-hiking the trail. Children eventually grow up. One thing that the trail taught me (long distance section hiker) is that we can't see all the eventualities of our life, where the trail will take us. Maybe you won't hike the trail again, but honestly...if you don't...that will be your choice. My wife supported my dream by driving me to the trail head, and missing me for three summers. I supported her dream of becoming a nurse at 40 and continuing now to get a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. I miss her when she studies, but it's an important dream that takes time, effort and sacrifice. If the trail is important to you, talk to your husband and explain it...again and again. If you can let the dream go, then that's ok to...I believe we choose our own path in life. Good luck.

STEVEM
03-18-2007, 22:59
Victoria, I have a daughter about your age who sees doom and gloom in every setback and disappointment. Funny how those with the brightest futures are the least able to see it.

You hiked more AT miles in two weeks than I did in the last two years. You hiked more AT miles than most people will do in a lifetime. You may not see it today, but I am sure you've learned some lessons that will last you for a lifetime.

Life is full of change, some good, some bad, some terrible and unfortunately, some even worse. No one has stolen your dreams. Keep them alive they will grow and change with you.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. This may be totally corny, but there's a little poem that I've had in my wallet for the past 25 years that I read maybe once a year. We were all wannabe hippies back then. http://www.evolvehome.com/desiderata.html

Welcome home neighbor!

emerald
03-19-2007, 00:07
Surely, you've got to admit it was one heck of a section-hike, whether your last or the first of many. By the way, we're all section-hikers. :welcome we'd be happy to have you join us on a section-hike.

Some hike a bigger section than others on the first attempt. Not many hike a 2000-mile section the first time they take a whack at the A.T., but most who keep section-hiking eventually log 2000 miles. When that occurs, they're eligible for the same recognition accorded anyone else who hikes 2000 miles, no more and no less.

I hiked today with some BMECC friends in the snow and it wasn't even on the A.T. We had a great time!

got milf?
03-19-2007, 00:49
I finished my 2006 thruhike attempt, and while I was out there, during that time something precious slipped away from me, probably irreplaceably, that kills me when I think of it.

I'd like to hear a bit more detail about this intriguing statement.

Blue Jay
03-19-2007, 01:14
I'd like to hear a bit more detail about this intriguing statement.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

warraghiyagey
03-19-2007, 01:15
Victoria,

I was surprised how many folks either missed or actively ignored your feelings and chimed in with responses not the least bit sensitive to your experience (and some downright cruel - these ones always surprise me on WB).
Before you left I always appreciated your posts and read them with interest. While I'm glad to read you again I'm also left wanting to say something that makes sense. Unlike the others, I respect that you know what you can and can't do in your life.
I don't think unless we have the same experience that anyone can pretend to know how you feel. But aside from the folks that didn't seem to want to imagine how you feel, there are some pure empathizers here. And I am one.
I hope that at the very least you can find it within you to stay close to the people here that are closest to your dream. We're always your family in that capacity. I sure don't want to miss the lively energy in your posts.
I'm going to try again this year, SOBO, and I would be happy to give you updates, stories of what I see - hoping there's something medicinal in it for you.
And I will be praying that one day there is a way for you.
Peace.:)

Your friend,
Warraghiyagey

bfitz
03-19-2007, 02:07
A few weeks is nothing. Jeez, many folks haven't even started yet. Skip a few hundred miles if you need to and continue your thru. There's plenty of time. If your man can't handle being lonely, tell him to come do some sections. I think your PFTHD is a bit premature, and is affecting your thinking. But, as Sly said...If you've got something better to do...

bfitz
03-19-2007, 02:13
I'm rooting for you.

oldfivetango
03-19-2007, 08:20
Has anyone suggested telling the husband that he should get
out there and try it?Oh,orthodics fixed my foot pain.Now,on to
the back surgury:banana Don't give up,Victoria,you're still young!
Oldfivetango

Grinder
03-19-2007, 08:31
Victoria,
Reading your post and the replies, two adages come to mind

"Never say never"
And
"It ain't over til it's over"

Mourn the premature end of this trip as long as you need to. Then get back to the future. It's waiting .

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Ewker
03-19-2007, 09:15
Sorry to hear about your foot problems. I read your TJ and noticed that you hiked the Approach Trail barefooted. Could that have caused your foot problems? I am such a tenderfoot that I can't even imagine doing that...ouch

Don't give up your dream on thru-hiking the AT. Heck my dream of doing that is still 10 yrs away. Get back out there after your foot problems have healed. Lots of time left to hike this yr.

Hope you get better soon

Yahtzee
03-19-2007, 11:52
Just my little opinion, but those who are ripping the husband are falsely assuming that Victoria is a non-entity incapable of making her own choices and being acted on by the big bad wolf. Hogwash. Sounds like her husband gave her an ultimatum (cowardly thing to do) but at that pt., Victoria has choices to make. And those choices are completely hers. She will have to live with those choices. Just as if she had left hubby and continued hiking. That decision would have had consequences, as well.

Vic, I am so sorry you are depressed. I have no advice, only sympathy.

Almost There
03-19-2007, 12:56
Yahtzee hit the nail on the head, if she really wanted to continue she would find a way to convince him, I know my wife would. Sorry but you don't tell your wife what she can and can't do, that's the surest way to guarantee she will do the opposite if she has any spine, my guess is he explained to her why he didn't want her to go back out and she gave in to his point. I'm also guessing it's very likely we won't hear back from her for awhile.

DavidNH
03-19-2007, 13:44
I think one of the biggest challenges of thru hiking the AT is simply getting enough time (5-6 months + for most) to accomplish the task. I was fortunate enough to be in a postion to do so (being single without kids helps!).

I would think that those who have a spouse would find the support, finacial and emotional, to make a thru hike happen. Of course not having a spouse, I can't speak very well to this situation. Perhaps those of you who are married and have the dream could explain it to your spouse, what it means to you and see if he/she will understand and help you acheive your dreams. Imagine, hiking the whole AT and having a spouse to be the support person and even meet you up at Baxter? I envy such folks!

To the original poster : How much of the trail did you actually complete? couple days? few weeks? a month or more? You may not have done what you set out to do, but you still had an outdoors wilderness experience that few others get. Just getting out of Georgia is an accomplishment in its own right. Perhaps in the future..you could just go out for week long sections..to areas you have done, or perhaps areas you haven't. That is what the trail is really there for. Not to accomplish some feat but to get out into the woods and into the mountains in the first place. So feel good about what you did do!!

In the future..I am not going to thru hike again. But I want very much to go back and do certain sections!

I am not sure if I am helpful here but have tried to be as understanding as I can.

So many times..I hurried and tried to make miles. In all cases I had more fun and remember the experience more fondly when I put aside the miles and competativeness and just enjoyed the moment. Yet how easly my hike could have ended short of Katahdin. I had a couple bad spills in Maine.

DavidNH

icemanat95
03-19-2007, 13:59

Victoria,

First off, I HATE the word "failure" in conjunction with things like this. YOU did NOT "fail," your body failed to support your heart's ambitions...that's a whole different thing. So put this "failure" crap out of your head right now.

Next: Do not discount the value of section hiking. Some of the best hikers I met on the AT, some of the most joyful, were section hikers. They spent the whole year looking forward to the year's section, planning it with friends, taking practice hikes, whatever. When they get back out on the trail, they get to fall in love with it all over again. Talk about a cool experience. How many of us wouldn't like to re-experience that every year?

Another thing to examine is what the thrru-hike was for you. Why were you doing it? To say that you did it? To commune with nature? To experience the Eastern Mountains in a variety of seasons? Only the belt notching reason is closed to you now. The other things are still there.

In my other life I study a small variety of budo (traditional Japanese martial ways). When I first started (and every now and again) I was focused on earning rank, specifically looking toward shodan, the first "black belt" rank. But progress is slow, and a good sensei can slow you down even further than your technical abilities would allow in order to allow your spiritual and psychological abilities to catch up and mature/evolve. Sensei may even demote you if your attitude does not meet the standards he or she demand. Ultimately there is no "ultimately" in budo. There is no ending place or final goal. Those who embrace budo settle in for the long haul and accept that they will continue to learn until the day they die, continue trying to improve the most basic, fundamental techniques. Even when their bodies fail them, they continue to consider the inner aspects, the "ura" of their arts, and thus continue to improve their budo, even as their physical skills degrade. Ranks and titles evaporate in the long run, they become simple sign posts along the way. Most of the high ranking budoka I have met don't even remember the dates of their various rankings. What they remember are students and teachers, insights they have gained by watching other people and training with others. Fellowships and shared experiences.

So don't worry about the thru-hiker or 2000-miler designations and the kudos...none of it means anything really. Looked at objectively a thru-hike is little more than a 5 or 6 month vacation. What's important is what you learn and experience along the way, and a very few of those things cannot be gained by other means. Its the journey, not the goal, that reaps the rewards.

About the word "never." I don't know your situation. You are young, but you may have some underlying health problems that you haven't told us about that may seriously impact your prospects for future physical activities. On the other hand, medical science being what it is, many of the physical maladies that prevent people from enjoying full movement in life, WILL be cured in the coming decades, or at least be a whole lot more treatable. Tissue culturing will allow treatment for osteoarthritis, advances in neural science will address degenerative neural muscular disorders, the list goes on and on. So you may actually end up being healthier and more physically able at 50 than you are now. There are a lot of 50 and 60 year olds out thru-hiking after their retirements.

Finances are another worry, but, that's what savings accounts are for. Tuck away a little each year and you'll be surprised how fast your adventure fund stacks up.

Bottom line. Some choices aren't yours to make. Getting off the trail was one of these. So why regret the decision, it was out of your control. Yes it closed the book on this discrete adventure, but try not to let it get you down, one door closes and another three appear before you. You said something in your journal about a sailing trip? Go for it. And marriage and kids are a grand adventure as well. Get 'em started early on the trail. Focus on the journeys and enjoy them.

Chris_Asheville
03-19-2007, 14:20
Vic,
I am probably the least controlling person in the world when it comes to relationships. I don't think it's out of the question for your husband to not want you to disappear for six months. Everyone on here seems to think dropping everything (a marriage, rent/mortgage payments and everything else that goes along with having a life) at any point in time is okay for everyone. I agree with many of the reasons people have to hike and I understand everyone needs to do things for themselves. As hard as it is for me to say and realize, being responsible has several facets. Responsible to yourself, your life and, at this point in time, your spouse. You DID decide to get married and occasionally you have to accept everything that comes along with that commitment. If he is a jealous jerk, rid yourself of that and continue doing whatever you want whenever you want. If he's a nice guy who is simply concerned with the health and safety of his wife, you should probably talk with him about your desire to finish. Last but certainly not least, find something other than hiking that will make you happy, at least temporarily.
Goodluck!

leeki pole
03-19-2007, 14:33
Victoria,
Reading your post and the replies, two adages come to mind

"Never say never"
And
"It ain't over til it's over"

Mourn the premature end of this trip as long as you need to. Then get back to the future. It's waiting .

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Ditto.
Keith:sun

gold bond
03-19-2007, 14:46
"Never say Never" and "Never say Always" ! I don't know you or your husband. It sounds as though he knows the way you feel, but does he "KNOW THE WAY YOU REALLY FEEL"? Sometimes our tendacy is to let our emotions or our fears get in the way of letting out our true feelings. Alot of people have responded to this "assuming" that your husband knows "ALL" of your feelings about your passion for this. Communications are very important in a matter of this sort.You two obviously love each other...so talk it out....comprimise....work it out together.Solutions are easy, it's finding them that are the hard thing. This might be the one thing that makes your marriage as strong as it will ever be!
Good luck, God bless, and may the paths in your future be softer!

NICKTHEGREEK
03-19-2007, 14:50
If this is the very worst thing that happens to you, then your life will be near perfect.

VictoriaM
03-19-2007, 15:01
I haven't answered because I don't really know what to say. No, I'm not feeling better. No, my husband is not a control freak or a jerk, just a man who misses his wife when she's gone and has a hard time dealing with house and pets alone while being out of the house for up to 14 hours every day for work. Yes, in the end it is up to me, but it's hard to continue a six-month trip knowing that the ones you love most will have such a hard time of it.

I do have health issues, among other things, that would get in the way of a future thru. By rejecting sectioning for myself, I mean no offense against sectioners, just that it would be meaningless for me personally. Yes, I'd have fun hiking all the different sections, but I wouldn't feel as if I had accomplished anything.

It's a tough decision for all involved, and whatever I choose will hurt someone. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm nbot sure which) it looks like I'm going to have to go back out. I've sunk into a deep depression that nothing seems to help but planning to continue my hike. I want to go back and finish my hike more than anything, but at the same time I don't want to go back. I worry that I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't finish, and I worry that I'll be miserable and lonely for the duration if I do. Yes, I'm aware that I'm not the first person to have these kinds of feelings, but knolwing others have had them doesn't make them any easier.

I'm leaving things up in the air for now. If I'm going to get back out I need to do it soon, as I think I'll need to take it extra slow to avoid reinjuring myself. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but whatever it is will happen by the end of the month, I think.

Small Steps
03-19-2007, 15:10
Victoria,

First I want to say sorry to hear about your injury. I know what it is like to plan, train commit your life to a goal and have it all taken away in a heart beat. All I can say is you have to get up smile and say life is good. There is no magic to getting out of the funk…..(if you find the magic cure please let me now….) You have to look at it this way…..at least you had the opportunity to plan, train, and proper for a dream. Look at how much you learned and how much of a better person you are for it. Myself I was too stupid when I was 26 to take advantage of the time I had to fulfill dreams like thru hiking the AT. So I am in total envious of you for having the opportunity to attempt a thru hike. It is only now that I am 40+ that I sit back and regret not taking advantage of my youth.

The next thing is don’t ever say “never”. Thing have a way a changing all the time. I look at my life in the past year. I have gone from happily married to foot loose and fancy free. When I was married my wife HATED camping let alone hiking. Her version of camping was getting in the car and not knowing which Hilton she was going to stay in. That was if you could get her in a car for a trip over two hours. Now that things have changed I am planning my AT hike. Still can’t do a thru hike, but I can do long sections. Hope to be able to do a thru hike when I retire, Good Lord willing….. So things can always change.

The next thing I wanted to say was I don’t know what kind of agreement your husband and you made but you probably want to start talking about that right now. I know when you get married you make a lot of sacrifices for each other. My wife made some for me and I made some for her, I understand that. But if it is a true life’s dream, or something you truly love giving up on it will cause problems in the long run. I know this for a fact. Let me give you a small example. I love NASCAR. Before I was married I had gone to the Charlotte spring race for years. Before we got married, my wife even went with me a couple times. When we got married she just up and said she was not going any more and that she hated the races and would never go to another. I thought I was being a good husband by giving up my tickets and not going…. After seven years of marriage it was amazing how that decision come back to torcher me and how much anger and resentment it brought into our marriage. Every year I would go into a funk at the end of May because I wish I was going to Charlotte (this year I think I am going, ya as soon as I finish typing this I am going to go buy tickets…….). I’m not saying that the race was the only reason we broke up, there was a bunch more…some my fault some hers. What I am trying to says is, it sounds like the AT thru hike is something you have wanted to do and will resent if you give it up. All I can say is this. Kid can wait, jobs can wait, and life can wait. At 26 you have so much in front of you, don’t rush it. Talk to you husband and explain what went wrong, why it went wrong, what you are going to do to correct it, and that hiking the AT is a life dream you need to complete so that you don’t regret not doing it later. IMHO if he truly loves you he will understand your life dream and want you to have the opportunity to fulfill. I’m not saying he will understand you wanting to thru hike the AT (who does but us warped people), but he will live with it. If he says he can’t live without you for 6 months tell him that he does not have to. I am sure you are going to be hitting a town every week or so. He can meet you in town…maybe even at a shelter close to a road….

IMHO… LOVE is giving and taking so that each person feel totally happy and fulfilled…

If hiking the AT is something you truly want you have to talk with him and make him understand. If he will not listen then does he truly love you...

Outlaw
03-19-2007, 15:21
Victoria,

You wrote in post #53 that you are not feeling better. My simple advise to you is for you to go back and read what you wrote in your final entry in your TJ. I also read the "other" final entry you wrote, the one that you deleted; it too spoke a great deal about your fortitude, desire and drive.

To me, after reading your TJ, sounds like hope is not lost. If you do make it back to the trail (whether this year or one in the future) just take it one step at a time... before you know it many steps will have been taken on your journey.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Ender
03-19-2007, 17:01
Victoria,

I'm not going to give advice either way, because it's a choice you have to make for yourself. I will say that if you left tomorrow, you could finish by mid september averaging just 12 miles a day, a very relaxed pace. If you do go back out on the trail, hiker shorter days, and you'll need fewer zero days. Take it easy, and listen to your body. And if all else fails with your feet, there are some long distance canoe trails out there that you could thru-paddle :sun

Trailers
03-19-2007, 17:13
I havent read all your posts, or anyone elses for that matter, but to me it sounds like youre on a rollercoaster of depression, down one min and then really down the next, positive and refelctive one second then a complete bastard to yourself the next. i know what this is like ive just come out of a huge depression to do with health...im still suffering physically (more than ever) but mentally i feel better and thats because im aiming at challeneges and stuff, go for it. and you dont need to tell me about lost dreams. ive just had to give up quite literally THE greatest job in the world up in Japan, with so many benefits, 10s of amazing friends i will most likely not see ever again, high pay, almost free rent...... all because of health. the AT is my new thing for next year. you can do it.

dont make rash decisions when youre mentally incapacitated. trust me, judgement is seriously impaired

handlebar
03-19-2007, 18:20

Whoa, girl! Never say never! Keep the dream alive and let that be the incentive for you to stay in physical shape so that when you get to be the ripe old age I was last March 15th (60 years and turned 61 on the trail), you can take up the dream again. By then all those intervening family things may no longer be impediments and your husband might even join you. There's a 60-something couple hiking now on trail journals, and I finished with two other guys who were even older than I. Realistically, you can have another chance.

rafe
03-19-2007, 18:26
Whoa, girl! Never say never!

I'm with you. VictoriaM is, what, 26 years old? Unless she's been mortally wounded, she's far too young to be using words like "never" in reference to her own life.

SURVIVOR
03-19-2007, 19:12
VictoriaM,
You and I stayed at the Hiker Hostel together and chatted for a bit. We saw each other again at Neel's Gap. I got off the trail the next day. Do not beat yourself up over this. You have a lifetime of adventure ahead of you. Not all dreams come true. That's life. But you tried.And who knows. You may be able to start again. If not, your head won't pop off of your shoulders. Keep going. Move on to the next dream. I don't think of me failing a thru hike, I think of it as a sucessful section hike from Springer to Neel's! ;) All is well, VictoriaM.

Jester2000
03-19-2007, 19:12
Just read your post #53.

I hope you get the chance to really reflect on what you NEED. And then do that thing. Rooting for you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Skidsteer
03-19-2007, 19:20
You could give Ben Franklin's method a try:

Take a sheet of paper, list all the pro's on one side and the con's on the other side. Invite your husband to participate. Discuss. Decide.

Good luck and best wishes.

Jester2000
03-19-2007, 19:39
On the "pro" side put down "Can gorge self almost to death on cheese every day if I want to."

GlazeDog
03-19-2007, 19:40
I haven't answered because I don't really know what to say. No, I'm not feeling better. No, my husband is not a control freak or a jerk, just a man who misses his wife when she's gone and has a hard time dealing with house and pets alone while being out of the house for up to 14 hours every day for work. Yes, in the end it is up to me, but it's hard to continue a six-month trip knowing that the ones you love most will have such a hard time of it.

I hope you can hear this open-mindedly. I get a sense you're emotionsl right now and not seeing things clearly. You're talking in definitives (i.e. "never", etc.) and very emphatic language. It sounds like you need some space to think.
Maybe your husband needs to work less-switch jobs?? 7days times 14 hours is 98 hours a week. That is more than 2 full time jobs. This doesn't sound like reality to me. And the dogs can surely be dealt with. You are more important than the dogs.

The only person that you can truly make happy.....is yourself.

Be responsible for yourself first.

Truly this may sound harsh, but I say it with true concern.

Sincerely,
GlazeDog

Bravo
03-19-2007, 19:44
I hope you can hear this open-mindedly. I get a sense you're emotionsl right now and not seeing things clearly. You're talking in definitives (i.e. "never", etc.) and very emphatic language. It sounds like you need some space to think.
Maybe your husband needs to work less-switch jobs?? 7days times 14 hours is 98 hours a week. That is more than 2 full time jobs. This doesn't sound like reality to me. And the dogs can surely be dealt with. You are more important than the dogs.

The only person that you can truly make happy.....is yourself.

Be responsible for yourself first.

Truly this may sound harsh, but I say it with true concern.

Sincerely,
GlazeDog

TruDat!!!!

bfitz
03-19-2007, 19:50
VictoriaM,
You and I stayed at the Hiker Hostel together and chatted for a bit. We saw each other again at Neel's Gap. I got off the trail the next day. Do not beat yourself up over this. You have a lifetime of adventure ahead of you. Not all dreams come true. That's life. But you tried.And who knows. You may be able to start again. If not, your head won't pop off of your shoulders. Keep going. Move on to the next dream. I don't think of me failing a thru hike, I think of it as a sucessful section hike from Springer to Neel's! ;) All is well, VictoriaM.A quote from a movie or tv show I barely remember watching last night and don't remember the name of that managed to stand out was "I don't use the term failure. I succeeded at figuring out what doesn't work!"

Brrrb Oregon
03-19-2007, 20:07

I do have health issues, among other things, that would get in the way of a future thru. By rejecting sectioning for myself, I mean no offense against sectioners, just that it would be meaningless for me personally. Yes, I'd have fun hiking all the different sections, but I wouldn't feel as if I had accomplished anything.

It's a tough decision for all involved, and whatever I choose will hurt someone. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm nbot sure which) it looks like I'm going to have to go back out. I've sunk into a deep depression that nothing seems to help but planning to continue my hike. I want to go back and finish my hike more than anything, but at the same time I don't want to go back. I worry that I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't finish, and I worry that I'll be miserable and lonely for the duration if I do. Yes, I'm aware that I'm not the first person to have these kinds of feelings, but knolwing others have had them doesn't make them any easier.

I'm leaving things up in the air for now. If I'm going to get back out I need to do it soon, as I think I'll need to take it extra slow to avoid reinjuring myself. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but whatever it is will happen by the end of the month, I think.

Living is something you do one day at a time. So is hiking, so is being married, so is being happy, and so is being miserable. Take care as you go through this that you do not attempt to bear a lifetime of suffering in a single day. Take today's suffering, today's disappointment, the trials that are in front of you right now: try to concentrate on those. As for tomorrow, there is a certain amount of planning for tomorrow that is today's duty, but the rest is generally a fruitless anxiety. All fulfillment you will ever find is to be found in the present moment, and nowhere else.

Having said that, healing (physical and inner) and grieving are both processes that cannot be hurried. While you're recovering, though, it is not a bad time to ask yourself what you think finishing this through-hike is going to do for you, whether you think it is going to make you a different person than you are now, and whether becoming who you want to be can happen in no other way. You have said that sectioning would be "meaningless"....but what is the meaning that this quest has for you? Have you set it up as a cure that may not deliver the goods? If not, can you set about doing what you can to make it either more meaningful or more likely to succeed next time than it was this time? We are not trying to be glib, but you are hardly on your deathbed. Life has its surprises, for those ready to be surprised.

I say this because what you are going through is very similar to what is suffered by those who had their heart set on becoming a physician or completing a doctorate, when it becomes clear that that is not going to happen in the immediate future and especially when it looks very possible that it may not be a realistic goal even in the distant future. A lot of soul-searching goes on. Handled badly, it does lead to a bitter lifetime of regret. Handled well, though, it makes a more centered person and, when things do turn out in the end, a far better doctor than a journey of clear sailing would have produced.

Why would that be? It is because these great achievements do not create meaning in our lives so much as they unearth it. What the hike will unearth in you is in you right now. Consider the day of your funeral, what the mourners will miss about you. Is your successful completion of a thru-hike so likely to be the centerpiece of the emptiness they would feel, if you were gone? (Obviously you would be deeply missed, or your husband would not give a fig whether you hiked or stayed home.) Or is it more likely to be those qualities in you that such a hike would either nurture or exemplify? Consider ways that you might nurture those qualities--both the ones that make you a beloved and the ones that make a thru-hike a possibility for you--until the day when another opportunity might present itself. Consider also, that there may be things standing in the way of your hike that are at the same time things for which you may be, on another day, very much thankful. It may seem cliche, but we've all seen It's a Wonderful Life. There is a quite a bit of truth in that sentimental old chestnut.

Good luck, as they say, happens to those who are ready for it. This delay may, in the end, deepen the meaning of the hike that you do complete. If you were to say one day, "That stupid sprain turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me"....well, it is hard to imagine, but it wouldn't be the first time.

One more thing: you may be suffering clinical depression. If this fog of grief and misery does not lift, or if it produces feelings of worthlessness in you, get yourself some help. Just as walking on a bad knee can make it worse than having it tended to, so trying to "walk through" depression can lead to a life needlessly bogged down in hopelessness and despair. You would never let a champion thoroughbred continually suffer what you decided on your own was a career-ending injury without ever having it seen by a veterinarian. Give yourself the same credit. If you think you have problems that can't be fixed, that is exactly when you should see someone who has made a profession of guiding the process that fixes them.

Until the cloud of grief lifts, hang in there. It will pass, if you use the time well, but it won't be easy. If you can, find people who are going through the same thing, if that helps you. We feel for you, and many will be the time out on the trail that we will be thinking of you--even if we aren't on the AT--I'm sure of it. But please, do take this as you would have had to take your thru-hike, if you had any hope of finishing it: one day at a time.

VictoriaM
03-19-2007, 20:09
Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date, beginning where I left off (I feel a little funny about that, but I guess I haven't been off long enough to need to start over). We'll see how I hold up physically.

rickb
03-19-2007, 20:14
I haven't been off long enough to need to start over

You got that right!

VictoriaM
03-19-2007, 20:15
Oh, and one other thing: A Llama Punch is like a donkey punch but with spitting. This is what happenes when you let your hiking buddies trail name you.

(I wish I could edit.)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-19-2007, 20:16
This is good news, Victoria. Prayers for your success.

Sly
03-19-2007, 20:20
Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date, beginning where I left off (I feel a little funny about that, but I guess I haven't been off long enough to need to start over). We'll see how I hold up physically.

Right on! Give it some time, take it slow and don't try to keep up with anyone. Hopefully without further injury your body will become accustomed to the rigors of the trail. It really takes 4-6 weeks to get trail hardened at which point it's alot more enjoyable.

Best of luck.

Brrrb Oregon
03-19-2007, 20:21
You're going to have kids with this guy? Who tells you not to fulfill the dream of a lifetime, while you're not tied down by the responsibilities of kids yet? (Notice, I said yet.)

He sounds like a "it's my way or the highway" type. Take the highway, veer off onto the trail, and tell him to have his own kids.

And people wonder why there is a 50% divorce rate in this country.

It is, quite frankly, thoughtless and irresponsible to suggest that a couple should divorce on account of a problem you have learned about via one or two posts on the internet. Yes, you can divorce a spouse, but an ex is for a lifetime.

To Victoria: reading your posts over, I see that you do suffer from severe depression. I trust that you are treating that as seriously as a heart attack....because this obstacle is like a mountain climb for somebody with congestive heart failure. No, your depression may not rob you of your life in a single day, although sometimes it does, as you and I both know. It can rob you of your life one day at a time....and we both know that, too. My depression is fairly mild, and I can vouch for that. I hope I'm preaching to the choir on this one: you're worth the help and you should not on any account evade it. OK?

One day at a time, with all the help you can get. That is what everybody on the planet needs. You are no different.

Brrrb Oregon
03-19-2007, 20:22

That is good news. Good luck to you, now and always!!
(And make sure you take very good care of yourself on the trail....no denial, just like you promised hubby, didn't you! ;) So do that, too.)

Skidsteer
03-19-2007, 20:31

Have a great hike!

emerald
03-19-2007, 20:38
VictoriaM

Please take the time to see a medical professional if you have not already to learn what you may have done to injure your foot or feet and to learn what you can do to avoid this problem again when you resume your hike. Obviously, you should wait until your body is ready to support what you will call upon it to provide.

Heater
03-19-2007, 20:42
A quote from a movie or tv show I barely remember watching last night and don't remember the name of that managed to stand out was "I don't use the term failure. I succeeded at figuring out what doesn't work!"

Well, if you weren't so STONED... :D

That short term thang yaknow.... ;)

What were we talking about?!! :confused:

Heater
03-19-2007, 20:48
Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date, beginning where I left off (I feel a little funny about that, but I guess I haven't been off long enough to need to start over). We'll see how I hold up physically.'

Way to go Victoria and also way to go "hubby". I am looking forward to following along with your Trailjournal.

:sun

rcli4
03-19-2007, 21:37
Victoria
I was supposed to hike in 2001. 3 weeks before I was to leave my daughter said she was getting married. I thought that was more important than hiking so I put my hike off. In 2006 I finally was able to hike. I went to Maine to hike southbound. I fell coming down Katahdin and broke my leg. Of course I didn't know it was broke so I kept hiking. The next day I hiked to Abol bridge. I realized that I could walk no more and came home. My leg healed quickly but my mind did not. My wife really doesn't want me to go again. A lot of people on WB and other hiking sites think hiking is the most important thing in the world. To me it is not. You may want to consider their marital status before feeling bad for putting more weight on your husbands happiness than perhaps they would. My wife and her happiness is important to me. Hiking is important to me. I can hike if I want, but a thru hike is a selfish thing to do. You must weight the cost verses benefit. Only you can make that choice. I still get depressed when I think about it to much. For me I will go back when the time is right. If you go back try to enjoy everyday and if being home becomes more important to you then hiking, go home.

Good Luck
Clyde

Bravo
03-20-2007, 08:58

Way to meet the challenge. Good for you. I think you'll enjoy telling your kids this story a lot more than the one from a few days ago.

Ender
03-20-2007, 10:33

Excellent news. Best of luck! And remember, in the end, it's just walking in the woods. Take it easy, take it slow, and enjoy yourself out there.

leeki pole
03-20-2007, 11:11
Whohoo! Prayers and safe travels to you.
Keith:sun

bfitz
03-20-2007, 12:38
We'll see you out there!!!:sun

rafe
03-20-2007, 12:45
And remember, in the end, it's just walking in the woods.

I think the Yiddish word schlep (http://wordsmith.org/words/schlep.html) captures it nicely. ;)

Marta
03-20-2007, 13:00
That vision of sitting at home, looking at most of six month's worth of Mountain House meals kept me going a few times...

Best wishes!

Marta/Five-Leaf

gold bond
03-20-2007, 13:26
I'm so glad that you and your hubby could talk and figure out a solution! I knew you two could. Obviousy all here at WB support you and believe in you. Sounds as though your husband supports and believes in you...now it's your turn! The trail is no harder than you make it. Whether it be in life or the AT you have to believe in yourself. We all can type support for you till our fingers bleed but you've got to hike your own hike. Every step will be a new and exciting adventure for you. As long as you take care of your physical needs and your healthy enough to start again it's all up to you! I like to call it, "mind over matter" If you don't, the little stuff don't matter! Start this hike as if it is a new chapter in your life...and when you get back, whether you tru hike or not...well you and and the hubby will have plenty of time to...(insert imagination here!) God speed I'll be keeping up with you thru your journals! Congrats to the hubby!!

gold bond
03-20-2007, 13:47
What I meant to say was, " if you don't "MIND", The little sfuff won't "MATTER"! Again, God speed!!

peanuts
03-20-2007, 13:59
you go GIRL!!!!!!

Ender
03-20-2007, 16:49
I think the Yiddish word schlep (http://wordsmith.org/words/schlep.html) captures it nicely. ;)

Indeed. :sun But a very pretty schlep.

mweinstone
03-20-2007, 17:50
i am praying you get arested and convicted of murdering a dream and are sentenced to walk the AT with your husband as soon as you feel better.

Lumberjack
03-20-2007, 18:27
remember to only take one step at a time, good luck

GlazeDog
03-20-2007, 18:54
GOOD LUCK-- I'm very happy for you!!

GlazeDog

warraghiyagey
03-20-2007, 19:29

Victoria - Victorious Again!!!

You go girl. Among other things I'm looking forward to as I leave Katahdin June 1 is to meet this wonderful person - Victoria. I dreamed the thru hike since high school and finally got on the trail last June.
This year I know that it isn't the thru that draws me but the trail. I just love being on it. But I do hope to climb Springer in late fall. And to meet you some time along the way.
And I'm especially happy to see the responses change from down right uncaring rudeness - to nothing but the good energy of people pulling for you. That is what I expect on WhiteBlaze and among the white blazes.
I am so happy to hear of you getting back to your dream.:) :) :)

Peace,
Warraghiyagey

Jester2000
03-20-2007, 19:42
Yay! Good luck! Tell me one thing, though. . .

On the "pro" side put down "Can gorge self almost to death on cheese every day if I want to."

Talked to hubby tonight. He's planning to drive me back down to Hiawassee the last weekend of this month. April 1st is my restart date. . .

I'm guessing you told him about the cheese. Am I right?

VictoriaM
03-20-2007, 19:57
Yay! Good luck! Tell me one thing, though. . .

I'm guessing you told him about the cheese. Am I right?

The cheese was definitely the deciding factor. ;)

You know, I didn't bring any cheese with me in my first two weeks. I actually dreamed about it a couple of times. I'll be bringing a nice big block of sharp cheddar when I start back.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the good wishes and encouragement.

Lilred
03-20-2007, 20:19
Get those insoles and take care of your feet. Rest often with your boots off. Good luck, I can see you smiling from here.

Kudo's to hubbie.

Toolshed
03-21-2007, 07:51
If it is Plantar Fasciitis, the good thing is that it only hurts when you get out of bed or if you take too long of a break!!!
I backpacked for years with it on and off - it is a minor nuisance.

Otherwise, my advice is a little different than others. No sugar coating.
Get off your ass and get out there and live life. No more self pity. No more thinking about why you couldn't do it, no more worrying about plants, hubby or animals. If you want to do the hike, you'll do it. Think about the positives and what it is going to mean to you.
But most importantly get off your ass and get moving!!!!!

Fannypack
03-21-2007, 09:44
If it is Plantar Fasciitis, th egood thing is that it only hurts when you get out of bed or if you take too long of a break!!!
I backpacked for years with it on and off - it is a minor nuisance.

I second the above.

when i returned from the PCT01 hike I went to foot dr to ask about a "severe pain in the heel of your foot". It felt like a needle being stuck in the bottom of my foot...

The dr said it was most likely Plantar Fasciitis and i should do the achilles heel stretch and that worked for me...do the stretch often , i.e., before u get the severe pain.

On the trail i would suggest that u still have the Vitamin I ready...

Good luck...

Btw, I still suggest u do some dayhikes on the AT near your home before returning to GA, maybe on the w/e, use 2 cars so your husband can join ya and u don't have to retrace your steps. By doing this, u will also be familiar w/ this section when u get to it when u are doing this section-hike portion of your thru hike.

jesse
03-21-2007, 11:59
Victoria,
My pastor told a story a few years ago that I think has some application here, maybe.
There was a man who was not particulary close to his father. This man's favorite childhood memory was a day that he and his father had gone fishing. His father had kept a diary, and had written in it almost daily. After his father passed away, this man was reading his dad's diary, the only entry made on the day they had gone fishing was:
"My son and I went fishing today. Did not catch anything. Entire day wasted."

Between now and the middle of October, you will either complete your thru, or you won't. If you take an all or nothing approach, then I'm concerned, that like the dad in the story, you will miss "life" on your way.

Have fun and hyoh. Sieze the moment!

Toolshed
03-21-2007, 13:33
VictoriaM,
Do you have any problems with my posting of your PM rant here?

MOWGLI
03-21-2007, 13:47
Best of luck Victoria.

VictoriaM
03-21-2007, 16:36
VictoriaM,
Do you have any problems with my posting of your PM rant here?

Go ahead, dearie. By keeping it private I was trying to keep attention off you.

Toolshed
03-21-2007, 17:52
VM, Original intent wasn't to be rude but as a wake-up call.
This is what you wrote me
----
Excuse me? You said no sugar, but you could have included some reality in your outrageously rude response. I'm not supposed to worry about my husband? What? Do you mean that I should go do whatever I want and if my mairrage of nine months fails I should just shrug my shoulders and move on? Do you mean that my pets, who are like my children, should be treated like decorations and allowed to suffer or be mistreated if that's what's convenient for me? And where the hell is the self pity? Saying I won't get another chance at this has nothing to do with pity, it's just the reality of my situation. If I was planning to pity myself it would be over the fact that I probably won't live past 50 due to my weak heart, so I'll barely get to see my kids graduate college. I'll probably never retire and enjoy my grandchildren. Do I pity myself over it? ****ing no. Never have and never will. I just get out and live as much life as I can.
-----
All of this should have been stuff you considered before stepping on the trail. I don't understand the animal comment - Is your husband doing something to them while you are gone?
But as I PM'ed back, based on your earlier threads, I didn't think you'd make it and I still don't think you'll make it. Everyone else can can console you about your feet or your pets or your plants or your marriage, but this was all stuff you knew going into the hike. You lashed out at others in previous posts - I think you want to hear what you want to hear and you shut out the rest.
This is where the rubber meets the road - you wanna be a thruhiker - get off your ass, get out there and do it - that is barring any cardio physical limitations. Forget the foot pain and gain some mental fortitude and focus on the trail. If getting pissed off at me for not coddling you in your first attempt helps you, I can send you picture and you can spit on it every day (llama) if it keeps you on the trail. And tell hubby, "this is my dream and I need this" But really, puting it into perspective, he seems like a pretty good guy if he is willing to drive you back down to GA so you can get back on the trail.
'nuff said.

VictoriaM
03-21-2007, 18:37
All of this should have been stuff you considered before stepping on the trail. I don't understand the animal comment - Is your husband doing something to them while you are gone? But as I PM'ed back, based on your earlier threads, I didn't think you'd make it and I still don't think you'll make it. Everyone else can can console you about your feet or your pets or your plants or your marriage, but this was all stuff you knew going into the hike. You lashed out at others in previous posts - I think you want to hear what you want to hear and you shut out the rest.
I don't think you'll find a single post in this thread where I did anything like lashing out. Why, you ask, did I "lash out" at you and no one else? Because others who responded (though some of their statements were way off, especially some things said about my husband) honestly meant to be helpful. You didn't mean to be helpful, you just meant to be a prick. I called you on it, and now you're running to tattle and pout to the other forum members about how mean I am. If you're going to dish it out, learn how to take it.

The animals comment has to do with my two dogs being in crates from 7am to 7pm and 11pm to 6am every weekday while I'm gone, because has to sleep and go to work. I love my dogs and hate putting them through that, so it's something that weighed heavily on me in my decision. Every bit of "advice" you give me seems to advocate being completely heartless and caring about no one but myself. I'm not like that, and if you are I feel sorry for you and everyone who has to deal with you.

This is where the rubber meets the road - you wanna be a thruhiker - get off your ass, get out there and do it - that is barring any cardio physical limitations. Forget the foot pain and gain some mental fortitude and focus on the trail. If getting pissed off at me for not coddling you in your first attempt helps you, I can send you picture and you can spit on it every day (llama) if it keeps you on the trail. And tell hubby, "this is my dream and I need this" But really, puting it into perspective, he seems like a pretty good guy if he is willing to drive you back down to GA so you can get back on the trail. 'nuff said.
So what you're advocating here is walking on an injury that will only get worse with time unless it's rested enough to heal. I'm sorry if you think letting an injury recover means I have no fortitude, or whatever, but you'd be completely wrong about that. Getting "off my ass" would be counterproductive right now, as I need to stay off my feet until the pain is completely gone if I want to tendonitis to heal well. I'm not pissed at you either, I just think you acted like an ignorant prick in this particular thread. I don't know you from Adam, so I can't speak beyond this thread, and I'm not the type to get overly person with people over one thread posted on an internet forum.

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 19:01
Wow.

Who needs Jerry Springer? :)

Bravo
03-21-2007, 19:20
I thought it was Spring today. I guess some folks still got the old cabin fever.

I love this part of WB. Learning and entertainment. Awesome.

I'm rooting for Toolshed and VM. I've got a full bag of chips and a free night. Drag this little screen play out.:D

Yahtzee
03-21-2007, 19:23
After reading the previous exchange, I am now ashamed I posted anything to this thread.

Best of luck, Vic. Come what may.

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 19:31
After reading the previous exchange, I am now ashamed I posted anything to this thread.

Best of luck, Vic. Come what may.

Eh. Why?

It's just a spirited debate between passionate individuals. One of the things in life that differentiates us from corpses.

We just got good seats.

STEVEM
03-21-2007, 19:31
Victoria, I've read many of your threads and comments and understand that you feel that thru hiking the AT this year is something you feel you must do. I'm not sure I understand why you are so adverse to section hiking, or why you feel this will be your only opportunity to fulfill your dream.

I've never heard you explain why the AT is calling you. What are you looking for? What questions are you trying to answer? Why do you need this hike? Are you hiking toward something or away from something? Are you competing with someone or something? Are you trying to prove something to yourself or someone else?

Victoria, is there an invisible little girl on your shoulder whispering that you're not good enough or strong enough or entitled enough to succeed.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I've dealt with insecurity my entire life and think I know the symptoms when I see them.

You've asked many questions about how to hike the AT, but do you clearly know why you seem to need the trail so badly?

Sly
03-21-2007, 19:32
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.... :D

MOWGLI
03-21-2007, 19:41
(Using my best Howard Cosell voice) Down goes Toolshed! Down goes Toolshed!

Yahtzee
03-21-2007, 19:45
Eh. Why?

It's just a spirited debate between passionate individuals. One of the things in life that differentiates us from corpses.

We just got good seats.

Just not my idea of good hiker chat. Don't mind ripping on gear or trail sections or trail abstractions like purism or trail magic, but when things get personal I get uncomfortable. The trail may be the best part of some of our lives, but it is not life.

Can't we all just get along. And by get along, I mean go hiking.

mudhead
03-21-2007, 19:56
Why lurkers lurk...

Maybe she should take the dogs...

ed bell
03-21-2007, 19:57
The animals comment has to do with my two dogs being in crates from 7am to 7pm and 11pm to 6am every weekday while I'm gone, because has to sleep and go to work. I love my dogs and hate putting them through that, so it's something that weighed heavily on me in my decision. Every bit of "advice" you give me seems to advocate being completely heartless and caring about no one but myself. I'm not like that, and if you are I feel sorry for you and everyone who has to deal with you.IMHO this "solution" allowing you to take time to make a thru-hike attempt is inhumane. 20 hours in a crate with 4 hours out weekly for 5+ months is something I doubt any dog owner could advocate. I urge you to find another solution. Other than that, anyone here who makes a comment about YOUR marriage situation, or dynamics has no clue what they are talking about. Don't sweat that. I would suggest that it might be in your best interests to keep some of your personal matters private. Give those feet time to recover and good luck to you.:sun

Marta
03-21-2007, 20:01
I don't think you'll find a single post in this thread where I did anything like lashing out. Why, you ask, did I "lash out" at you and no one else?

Sorry, V, but you lash out at people all the time. Anyone who doesn't agree with you or who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems gets a taste of the whip.

But, as so many other have pointed out, it is an amusing show.

Marta/Five-Leaf

VictoriaM
03-21-2007, 20:21
SteveM - I know you're not being mean. I do have very clear (in my mind) reasons for wanting to do a thru. I doubt I could explain them well, though. It's not about insecurity or provong anything, but rather about finding out a few things. There are specific questions I want answered, and I feel that a thru is exactly the setting I need to be in in order to answer them

ed bell - That's exactly the problem, and we are working towards a solution. That's not to say that the dogs were the only factor in my indecision about returning, but it was a big one.

Sorry, V, but you lash out at people all the time. Anyone who doesn't agree with you or who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems gets a taste of the whip.

You're right, I do keep the whip at hand. I don't suffer fools gladly, so when someone behaves like a fool towards me, I'm more than happy to let them have it. If you look at all my posts, though, you'll see that I'm very kind to anyone who is kind to me, and even to people who make honest mistakes. It's deliberate ruseness that gets me going. And by "anyone who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems" I assume you're refering to the people who think that my pink backpack is a good reason for someone to attack me with violent sexual threats. Feel free to feel that way, and I feel bad for any friend or family member of yours who gets raped or mugged.

At any rate, Toolshed didn't say anything about causing my own problems or the like. What he did was throw profanity at me while implying that caring about my husband and pets is weak and silly. Sorry if you disagree, but it seems to me he needed the lash.

Marta
03-21-2007, 21:07
And then there's this tendency to put words in other people's mouths and then attack them for what they "said."

Bravo
03-21-2007, 21:14
There are specific questions I want answered, and I feel that a thru is exactly the setting I need to be in in order to answer them

You got questions. I got answers. I'll answer anything you ever wanted to know. Try me.:)

"anyone who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems"

I guess those might be the same people who suggest that you might in any way be causing your own solutions.

Just a thought. Some might call it taking responsibility for your life.

DawnTreader
03-21-2007, 21:30
Llama punch.. HAHAHA this is one of the funniest trailnames I have ever heard... If its like a donkey punch, with a Llama instead.. HAHAHA Brilliant....I'd like to hear you explain yourself out of this one when asked by a respectable person.....hahaha

rickb
03-21-2007, 21:32
I wish I had not looked up "donkey punch" on wikipedia.

Lilred
I'm rootin for ya Vic. Maybe you could get a neighborhood kid that's responsible enough to come over and let the dogs out of their crates. You could prolly hire one cheap.

T-Dubs
.You're right, I do keep the whip at hand. I don't suffer fools gladly, so when someone behaves like a fool towards me, I'm more than happy to let them have it.

"We be nice to them, if they be nice to us." :) (LotR)

This type of thread is a tough one for me. It's like one of those algebra problems back in high school where the only thing I could think is, "I don't know enough to figure this out. There has to be some more information somewhere. I don't know enough. How can any one figure this stuff out?"

But then, I struggled some in high school. :)

Tom

Trillium
03-21-2007, 21:36
And by "anyone who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems" I assume you're refering to the people who think that my pink backpack is a good reason for someone to attack me with violent sexual threats. Feel free to feel that way, and I feel bad for any friend or family member of yours who gets raped or mugged.
I CANNOT believe you attacked Marta in this way. You obviously have a problem. I thought that the primary problem that you had caused for yourself was to hike without shoes on, if in fact you did this; I certainly don't know because you have obstinately refused to answer the people who have asked about this. For shame for your comment to Marta.

Trillium
03-21-2007, 21:41
I wish I had not looked up "donkey punch" on wikipedia.
I don't know what that is but I have no intention of looking it up; there is enough innuendo to know that it is not something that is respectable.
I just wonder about a woman who would adopt that as a trailname. Just because someone wants to call you that doesn't mean you have to accept it or answer to it.

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 22:07
This thread is getting surreal.

dust never sleeps
03-21-2007, 22:33
I don't know what that is but I have no intention of looking it up; there is enough innuendo to know that it is not something that is respectable.

In the context of a man giving a woman a "donkey kick," I believe it means to get her p.g.

VictoriaM
03-21-2007, 22:59
I'd like victoria to explain two things:

why/how she got the trailname llama punch, and/or the history behind it.

The history behind it is that it came out over a great weekend I had with my local trail buddies. We got a little nuts, hiked a lot of miles, and had a great time. The joking got a little raunchy. The exact moment I was given the name escapes me, but the name reminds me of the great time I had with my friends and the good feeling I get from accomplishing something on the trail (in this case, hiking an 18 mile day right off the couch). That's why I keep it. I do love the looks it gets me, though, from people who can't figure it out. I don't generally explain it.

and

why she thought hiking barefoot was a good idea

Because at home I'm a barefooter. And my foot injury was caused by the shoes I put on for the next two days, not by my day of barefooting. I strongly suspect that if I had stayed barefoot I'd be uninjured and on the trail right now. However, I'm beginning to see that going home and having to decide to head back was good for me in the long run, so I'm not sorry it happened. The timing of my return will also place me on the trail in about the same spot as one of my local hiking buddies, too. It would be great to hike with her for a while.

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 23:05
Don't let the razzing get to you, VM. Just hike and see what happens.

You may turn out to be 2007's Minnesota Smith. ;)

VictoriaM
03-21-2007, 23:07
I never let razzing get to me. :) I'm itching to go, but my foot just isn't ready yet. We've settled on April 1st, so I'll be going stir-crazy until then!

insure ants
03-21-2007, 23:45
The history behind it is that it came out over a great weekend I had with my local trail buddies. We got a little nuts, hiked a lot of miles, and had a great time. The joking got a little raunchy. The exact moment I was given the [donkey punch] [] escapes me, but the name reminds me of the great time I had with my "friends" and the good feeling I get from accomplishing something on the trail (in this case, hiking an 18 mile day right off the couch).

I think Victoria's too young and wild to be married.

:rolleyes:

rickb
03-22-2007, 07:03
Just a thought. When quoting someone its probably best to do so without modification.

After reading insure ants post above, I was take a little aback.

Then I went back to read that VictoriaM was infact given the name.

In any event, I am too old and mild to even be condsidering such thoughts this early.

Marta
03-22-2007, 07:12
You may turn out to be 2007's Minnesota Smith.

MS had to stop posting, start hiking, and keep hiking to become anything more than a provocative Web Blazer.

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 07:18
MS had to stop posting, start hiking, and keep hiking to become anything more than a provocative Web Blazer.

True, True.

icemanat95
03-22-2007, 08:37
I never let razzing get to me. :) I'm itching to go, but my foot just isn't ready yet. We've settled on April 1st, so I'll be going stir-crazy until then!

I haven't been following this since I dropped in my 2 cents, but it sounds like you are going to give it another try. Good for you. Take it slow and you'll be OK I think. Give your tendonitis plenty of time to heal Make sure your feet are properly supported by your footwear. I also hope your doctor gave you some stretches to do to warm up and loosen up the affected tendons and muscles, and that you are doing them. If not, you need to bully your way in to see a sports medicine doctor or a podiatrist. A specialist may be able to get down to WHY you are having foot problems and give you some real solutions to those problems.

A cortisone injection can also go a long ways toward improving things.

Your restart date is very solid BTW. In 1995 when I thru'd, April First was a surge day. Tons of people hit the trail around that time at Springer. I started on March 28th and made it to Katahdin by October 8th despite losing almost a month in zero days, injured time, sick days, etc. along the way.

Also consider taking an anti-inflammatory each morning to prevent inflammation that'll mess up those tendons. Back before they were yanked from the market, I got great results out of Celebrex for my recurring tendonitis problem (mine was in the sides of both knees (Iliotibial band syndrome) ) Ibuprofen manages it now, but I've also had good results from Aleve.

Stretching is a very good thing though. If the muscles attached to the affected tendons get stretched out nicely, then the tendon itself won't be stressed as much in use.

Good luck.

hammock engineer
03-22-2007, 10:12
I haven't been following this since I dropped in my 2 cents, but it sounds like you are going to give it another try. Good for you. Take it slow and you'll be OK I think. Give your tendonitis plenty of time to heal Make sure your feet are properly supported by your footwear. I also hope your doctor gave you some stretches to do to warm up and loosen up the affected tendons and muscles, and that you are doing them. If not, you need to bully your way in to see a sports medicine doctor or a podiatrist. A specialist may be able to get down to WHY you are having foot problems and give you some real solutions to those problems.

A cortisone injection can also go a long ways toward improving things.

Your restart date is very solid BTW. In 1995 when I thru'd, April First was a surge day. Tons of people hit the trail around that time at Springer. I started on March 28th and made it to Katahdin by October 8th despite losing almost a month in zero days, injured time, sick days, etc. along the way.

Also consider taking an anti-inflammatory each morning to prevent inflammation that'll mess up those tendons. Back before they were yanked from the market, I got great results out of Celebrex for my recurring tendonitis problem (mine was in the sides of both knees (Iliotibial band syndrome) ) Ibuprofen manages it now, but I've also had good results from Aleve.

Stretching is a very good thing though. If the muscles attached to the affected tendons get stretched out nicely, then the tendon itself won't be stressed as much in use.

Good luck.

Some good advice here. I went many years through rowing with one thing or anymore bothering me. I little advil before and after goes a long way. I get better pain results from Aleve. I would definitly be careful though with taking more than the directions say. Especially if you are having other problems. Having food in your stomach when or shortly after you take these goes a long way. To me it helps keep my stomach from yelling at me.

I would say starting out slower and stretching is the way to go. If I am stiff I like to walk for a half hour or so in the morning to warm up my muscles before I stretch. This fits my hiking style as I do not like to eat right when I get up and usually have to many layers on starting out. I also like to stretch at the end of the day to calm everything down before I do to sleep.

If you are having muscle problems a lot of water helps out to.

Having said this, talking with a doctor first would probibly not be a bad thing. Go to a sports med. one. They are used to focusing on getting athelts back into their max preformance levels in a short amount of time.

Creek Dancer
03-22-2007, 10:26
Do you think your trailname will have any impact on whether or not men "stalk" you on the trail? Seems to me that any name that has the sexual innuendo of "Llama punch" will encourage a like response.

mishab_10
03-22-2007, 10:32
Hmmm... I don't believe there "won't be another chance", unless you're dead. I tried a thru-hike twice once back in 1969 and again in 1977. Yes 1969 and 1977!!! Because of circumstances beyond (1969 the draft) and in 1977 I had to abort the hike after about 500 miles. Yes, I went through a sort of depression (both times). After 1977 I though I was done and would never be able to make another attempt. The years passed and here I am 30 years later, fast apporaching 60, being 2 years from retirement and am contemplating another attempt at a thru hike in 2010. I've suffered a lot of setbacks over the over the years, but I have learned one thing: Times change, circumstances change, you cannot predict what the future will bring.

The only never ever I subscribe to is "Never, ever give up your dreams"!!

I do not know if I will even make it in 2010. Again circumstances may come up that will not allow me to try a thru hike.

saimyoji
03-22-2007, 10:57
Do you mean that I should go do whatever I want and if my mairrage of nine months fails I should just shrug my shoulders and move on? ....

Hmmmmm....when I was still in my ninth month of marriage, the LAST thing I would ever consider would be spending the next 4-6 months away from my spouse. But that's just me.

Victoria: I sincerely hope that your health allows you to successfully do the things you want in life, and that you are happy with the decisions you make. The only advice, and I hesitated in doing so when you first posted this, regretfully now, I would offer is that something like this is probably best kept among those who know and love you. Seeking sympathy for a general situation is one thing, but now you find yourself defending personal and private, even intimate, details about your life to people who don't know a thing about you. :(

Best of luck to you.

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 12:09
iceman and hammock engineer: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have great insurance (we buy our own) and mine is already about maxed out this year from having a checkup and x-rays on my knees before heading out in March. Getting in to see a specialist for my foot is out of the question. I'm doing as much research on the condition as I can, though, and hopeful that reasearch, going slow, advil (not too much, I don't like taking it for more than a couple of days) and a little prayer will get me through.

Creek Dancer: It hasn't so far, and I don't expect it will. a) I'm not terribly attractive, so I tend not to attract the attention of men. b) As I mentioned, I don't general explain what the name means because the exact definition doesn't really have anything to do with me, so people rarely know it contains any innuendo. c) I talk about my husband constantly, and I firmly believe that the first step in avoiding unwanted attention on the trail is to make it clear that you're not available. d) I think the whole "stalking on the trail" and "pink blazing" thing is blown way out of proportion. Everyone on the trail was very nice and polite to me, men and women both.

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 12:10
Seeking sympathy for a general situation is one thing, but now you find yourself defending personal and private, even intimate, details about your life to people who don't know a thing about you. :(

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your good wishes. I haven't disclosed any intimate details of my life, though.

icemanat95
03-22-2007, 12:33
Creek Dancer: It hasn't so far, and I don't expect it will. a) I'm not terribly attractive, so I tend not to attract the attention of men. b) As I mentioned, I don't general explain what the name means because the exact definition doesn't really have anything to do with me, so people rarely know it contains any innuendo. c) I talk about my husband constantly, and I firmly believe that the first step in avoiding unwanted attention on the trail is to make it clear that you're not available. d) I think the whole "stalking on the trail" and "pink blazing" thing is blown way out of proportion. Everyone on the trail was very nice and polite to me, men and women both.

Some things have NOTHING to do with whether you think you are attractive or not (your husband thinks you are attractive, so....) Some things are only about a half a step away from rape, maybe less than that, and rape has nothing to do with sexuality, it's all about power and victimization. People looking to use a woman (or man) as a sexual toy are about 1/4 step away from rapists...just one bad day away. You do NOT want to put yourself in such a person's view, ever, in any way....EVER. You think you have difficulties now? It can get a LOT worse.

rafe
03-22-2007, 13:01
Some things have NOTHING to do with whether you think you are attractive or not (your husband thinks you are attractive, so....) Some things are only about a half a step away from rape, maybe less than that, and rape has nothing to do with sexuality, it's all about power and victimization. People looking to use a woman (or man) as a sexual toy are about 1/4 step away from rapists...just one bad day away. You do NOT want to put yourself in such a person's view, ever, in any way....EVER. You think you have difficulties now? It can get a LOT worse.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here for VictoriaM? That she not appear in public, ever? That she wear a Taliban-style burqa? I honestly don't follow your logic here, Iceman...

Creek Dancer
03-22-2007, 13:12
Not sure, but I think he is suggesting that it might be a bad idea to have your name be the same as a sexual act.

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 13:17
Do you think your trailname will have any impact on whether or not men "stalk" you on the trail? Seems to me that any name that has the sexual innuendo of "Llama punch" will encourage a like response.

Creek Dancer: It hasn't so far, and I don't expect it will. a) I'm not terribly attractive, so I tend not to attract the attention of men.... I think the whole "stalking on the trail" and "pink blazing" thing is blown way out of proportion. Everyone on the trail was very nice and polite to me, men and women both.

You're right, I do keep the whip at hand. I don't suffer fools gladly, so when someone behaves like a fool towards me, I'm more than happy to let them have it. If you look at all my posts, though, you'll see that I'm very kind to anyone who is kind to me, and even to people who make honest mistakes. It's deliberate rudeness that gets me going. And by "anyone who suggests that you might in any way be causing your own problems" I assume you're refering to the people who think that my pink backpack is a good reason for someone to attack me with violent sexual threats. Feel free to feel that way, and I feel bad for any friend or family member of yours who gets raped or mugged.

At any rate, Toolshed didn't say anything about causing my own problems or the like. What he did was throw profanity at me while implying that caring about my husband and pets is weak and silly. Sorry if you disagree, but it seems to me he needed the lash.

Victoria: There is one fool you suffer too gladly: yourself. You equate disagreeing with you or suggesting that you could use some honest criticism rather than unequivocal cheerleading as rudeness.

You DO let razzing get to you, and you started a very long thread which was as long as it was because in it you repeatedly defended your RIGHT to let it get to you. In the "whip" post above, you say as much yourself. What, you don't mind rudeness, as long as someone tries to pass it off as humor? Who are you trying to fool?

You absolutely have met up with rude people on the trail, and you were pretty PO'd when you were told on this forum that the best thing to do was to ignore them. That wasn't advice you liked, so the rest of us didn't understand or just didn't like you or heaven knows what. Whatever the problem is in a social situtation, let it be certain that it is never you. Think about that, why don't you?

It is fine to ask people to either say nice things or keep their mouth shut....if you don't go around asking for their honest opinons. You can't have that cake and eat it, too. Again, do not let yourself fooled. If everyone you hear is only heard because he or she is telling you what you want to hear, you've not looked for honesty. Do you want to know the truth about yourself, or not?

Well, we have one thing in common, you and I: we think we can teach pigs to sing. If I have an ounce of sense, I won't post this, but I bet I will.

Have a nice hike, and good luck to you.

bfitz
03-22-2007, 13:22
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here for VictoriaM? That she not appear in public, ever? That she wear a Taliban-style burqa? I honestly don't follow your logic here, Iceman...No doubt. I wouldn't know what a llama punch was if I took one in the face. Some people are way oversensitive about this stuff, icemans panicy post was unnecessarily over the top.

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 13:38
Victoria: There is one fool you suffer too gladly: yourself. You equate disagreeing with you or suggesting that you could use some honest criticism rather than unequivocal cheerleading as rudeness.

I took both support and criticism in this thread, as I have in others. It was onyl when it crossed over into profanity that I "lashed out". Being told that if I didn't get "off my ass", treat my husband and pets like garbage, and walk on an injury that would only be made worse by doing so that I'm somehow weak and unmotivated didn't sit well with me, and yes, I do think I had the right to call that poster on his attitude.

You DO let razzing get to you, and you started a very long thread which was as long as it was because in it you repeatedly defended your RIGHT to let it get to you. In the "whip" post above, you say as much yourself. What, you don't mind rudeness, as long as someone tries to pass it off as humor? Who are you trying to fool?

I don't let razzing get to me. I will speak up when it crosses into abuse, though. And which thread are you refering to? If you mean this one, I posted it for some support in making a really tough decision. If you mean the other one, I posted it to find out whether I'd be seeing more of the same behavior I'd just experienced when I got out on the trail for my thru. There was nothing in that thread asking for suggestions on how to handle it, only asking how much I'd see it. And yes, I certainly do have the right to be offended, or not, as I choose. I think some people are reading offense where there isn't any, though. Tone doesn't come across well online.

You absolutely have met up with rude people on the trail, and you were pretty PO'd when you were told on this forum that the best thing to do was to ignore them. That wasn't advice you liked, so the rest of us didn't understand or just didn't like you or heaven knows what. Whatever the problem is in a social situtation, let it be certain that it is never you. Think about that, why don't you?

No, I was PO'd because a number of people told me that what I was wearing caused the aggressors to attack me verbally. That kind of "blame the victim" mentality is really alarming. I didn't care one way or the other if they told me to ignore the guys. I had to handle the situation at my own discretion since I was the one in it, and telling me to ignore it was a bit late. At any rate, I'll handle it the way I need to be handled, and ignoring them might be good advice, but wasn't asked for in that thread.

It is fine to ask people to either say nice things or keep their mouth shut....if you don't go around asking for their honest opinons. You can't have that cake and eat it, too. Again, do not let yourself fooled. If everyone you hear is only heard because he or she is telling you what you want to hear, you've not looked for honesty. Do you want to know the truth about yourself, or not?

I do want honest opinions and always value them, but if you* curse at me and verbally abuse me, expect to take some of what you dished out. This thread only got ugly when the cursing and abuse began. (*that's the collective "you", not you in particular)

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 13:40
No doubt. I wouldn't know what a llama punch was if I took one in the face. Some people are way oversensitive about this stuff, icemans panicy post was unnecessarily over the top.

Uh, bfitz, maybe you ought to go look up what a "donkey punch" is, because VictoriaM and her friends aren't the only ones on the trail who will know it.

Let's just say that I wouldn't go out in on the trail with a name for a sexual act that the Enron traders used to describe what they were doing to power customers.....and I'm not nearly so thin-skinned as VictoriaM is. If she's going to fly under the radar of the purposefully rude, as I think she would rather do, she needs a new name.

Maybe "Victoria" might be nice. Or even "MightyM" or "Barefoot"....anything but a name that might be taken as an invitation to provoke. She's got enough on her plate to deal with.

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 13:47
I do want honest opinions and always value them, but if you* curse at me and verbally abuse me, expect to take some of what you dished out. This thread only got ugly when the cursing and abuse began. (*that's the collective "you", not you in particular)

Look at him like he's a big-mouthed fool (because he is), but do not dish out what he's dishing out. It is impossible to give the rude "what they deserve" without splashing some of it on yourself.

You cannot teach a pig to sing. You just frustrate yourself and annoy the pig. Life is too short for that kind of stuff.

But, you are right: most of the people you're likely to meet on the trail are wonderful human beings, and a priviledge to know. Have a great trip, and the best wishes to you and those who'll be supporting you at home, the husband and the dogs both. A long and happy life to all of you.

But one thing: if anybody asks you what the trail name means, please just say, "Oh, don't ask. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that it was given in jest by people I like on a day I like to remember, so I'm being a good sport about it."

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 13:52
But one thing: if anybody asks you what the trail name means, please just say, "Oh, don't ask. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that it was given in jest by people I like on a day I like to remember, so I'm being a good sport about it."

That's basically what I do, which is why I'm not worried. And thanks for the "good luck", I'll probably need it.:)

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 14:04
That's basically what I do, which is why I'm not worried. And thanks for the "good luck", I'll probably need it.:)

Everybody does, every day. It's just that the thruhikers know it! :D

rafe
03-22-2007, 14:18
VictoriaM, it's none of my business, but it's a dumb-ass trail name, and you're crazy to use it. With all your other issues, why bring this one upon yourself?

Just my $0.02.

MOWGLI
03-22-2007, 14:25
I used to work with a guy at NYNEX who played in Howard Stern's band which was called Pig Vomit. So, your trailname could be worse - I suppose.

BTW, I'm no prude, but until someone suggested to look it up on the 'net, I hadn't a clue what the trailname meant. :eek:

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 14:43
You're going to be hiking with a new group when you restart.

You can get another name if you like.

MOWGLI
03-22-2007, 14:53
I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. FUBAR comes to mind immediately.

But... When I think about Victoria's internet persona and her interests, the name Pugnacious does comes to mind. ;)

And Victoria, I say that with a smile on my face and no malice in my heart. :sun

Toolshed
03-22-2007, 15:04
... Being told that if I didn't get "off my ass", treat my husband and pets like garbage, and walk on an injury that would only be made worse by doing so that I'm somehow weak and unmotivated didn't sit well with me, and yes, I do think I had the right to call that poster on his attitude.....

Where did I tell you to treat your pets and husband like garbage? Point to my words please. I told you you should have thought about these things before you started your hike. I also said your husband must be a pretty good guy to drive you back down to GA to continue.

However, since you have brought it up, it seems you've been planning for at least 6 months now for this "lifelong" dream. Your greatest idea was to stick your dogs in a crate 11 hours a day???!!!

Common sense. Build 'em a kennel outside in a shaded spot with some 6X6 fencing panels some landscape timbers, a small dog house and some pea gravel - all for about $200.

I still don't understand your foot injury. What type of injury occurs after wearing shoes for 2 days?? Bad enough to get off the trail and go home, but not bad enough to see a doctor?? BTW - You, yourself, wrote in your original post that you wished you had "walked off the injury" which led me to beleive it wasn't all that bad.

Yeah, I did tell you to get off your ass and get back on the trail. I guess that could be considered cursing and insulting by some, though I am surprised it is been seen that way by one who takes what appears to be spinoff of an anal sex act as a trail name.

Outlaw
03-22-2007, 16:35
BTW, I'm no prude, but until someone suggested to look it up on the 'net, I hadn't a clue what the trailname meant. :eek:

Me too and I wish I hadn't. But, no matter... to each his or her own.

[quote=Boston;343349...i don't think i would be able to ask them about their trail name.... ...it's kinda a strange thing to be talking about with people that you don't reall know, unless its your close friends, where the name seems to have originated.[/quote]

That's why I chose my own trail name; I didn't want someone else sticking me with a name I would consider embarrassing or in poor taste. I have not thru-hiked myself (I have done sections in NH, MA, VT), but my understanding is that it is sort of commonplace sitting around a shelter or campfire to ask people about the origin of their trailname.

max patch
03-22-2007, 16:44
I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. FUBAR comes to mind immediately.

Unless we're talking about different people, the trailname FUBAR unfortunately turned out to be spot on accurate.

saimyoji
03-22-2007, 16:51
Unless we're talking about different people, the trailname FUBAR unfortunately turned out to be spot on accurate.

And like FUBAR, Llama Punch is one that will probably be remembered years from now....

Footslogger
03-22-2007, 16:53
[quote=MOWGLI16;343351]I would never presume to tell anyone to change their trail name. And there have been some silly ones over the years. ===================================

Met a hiker in 2001 named "A$$ Face" and had a similar thought ...

'Slogger

MOWGLI
03-22-2007, 17:00
I know this isn't a thread about trail names, but in 2000, I did see one register entry from a hiker named Poop Finger.

Now THERE'S a visual for ya! :eek:

emerald
03-22-2007, 17:05
To expect ATC to print in A.T. Journeys a name like more than 1 in this thread is outrageous! I would think people would have better judgement.:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 17:07
I know this isn't a thread about trail names, but in 2000, I did see one register entry from a hiker named Poop Finger.

Now THERE'S a visual for ya! :eek:

Especially if his hiking partner was Itchy Butt.

leeki pole
03-22-2007, 17:17
For all you military types out there, you remember the three;
SNAFU.....TARFU......and of course, FUBAR!:)

Bravo
03-22-2007, 17:40
For all you military types out there, you remember the three;
SNAFU.....TARFU......and of course, FUBAR!:)

What's TARFU?

leeki pole
03-22-2007, 17:50
Things are really *fouled* up :)

bfitz
03-22-2007, 18:12
Uh, bfitz, maybe you ought to go look up what a "donkey punch" is, because VictoriaM and her friends aren't the only ones on the trail who will know it.Okay, I looked it up, (and can't wait to try it:eek:), but the llama refernce throws it off a bit...Llama punch is a fine name, and will be abbreviated to llama 99% of the time. Not a BFD. Most won't catch it anyway and its kinda funny considering the obvious paradox what with mild-mannered VictoriaM and the pink backpack:p . I am officially amused.

bfitz
03-22-2007, 18:13
I may change my trailname to Dirty Sanchez this year.....

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 18:19
I may change my trailname to Dirty Sanchez this year.....

...Cleveland Steamer doesn't appeal to you?

bfitz
03-22-2007, 18:20
The trail doesn't go through cleveland! Howabout Hanover Pot Pie?

T-Dubs
03-22-2007, 19:17
...Cleveland Steamer doesn't appeal to you?

Dang, but I've led a sheltered life.

Thankfully!
Tom

dust never sleeps
03-22-2007, 19:24
I still think Donkey Punch is a perverted deviation from Donkey Kick which means to knock up a girl, i.e., get her pregnant.

I don't remember exactly where I heard the term, but I think it was in a movie where they were talking about some girl in pink pajamas or panties and how some guy gave the Donkey Kick, and the obvious implication was that he got her p.g. Try to visualize the term, and it kinda makes sense :rolleyes:

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 19:29
Dang, but I've led a sheltered life.

Thankfully!
Tom

I ain't all that sick.

My problem is that I enjoy the Bob and Tom show. (http://www.bobandtom.com/) Pretty funny stuff.

bfitz
03-22-2007, 19:40
My brothers pet name for his wife for years was blumpkin. You should have seen her face (and his) when she finally found out what it meant!

shoe
03-22-2007, 21:38
Victoria -

I only breezed through the 10 pages in this thread. You are going to do what you want to do so do whatever that is but please considering changing your trailname. Your trail name is disgusting and as a solo female hiker I feel your inviting trouble/harassment onto yourself and if possible to other females out there.

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 22:09
Victoria -

I only breezed through the 10 pages in this thread. You are going to do what you want to do so do whatever that is but please considering changing your trailname. Your trail name is disgusting and as a solo female hiker I feel your inviting trouble/harassment onto yourself and if possible to other females out there.

The sexual part is bad enough, but does she know it is associated with Enron now? It is one of the more extreme phrases they used in e-mails to describe how they were enriching themselves at the expense of their ratepayers. Now, the phrase is even worse. :eek:

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 22:14
The sexual part is bad enough, but does she know it is associated with Enron now? It is one of the more extreme phrases they used in e-mails to describe how they were enriching themselves at the expense of their ratepayers. Now, the phrase is even worse. :eek:

Yikes, maybe I should change it! ;)

bfitz
03-22-2007, 22:17
Yikes, maybe I should change it! ;)...........:p

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 22:25
Yikes, maybe I should change it! ;)

When you get propositioned about some shady get-rich-quick stock scheme, don't complain that I didn't warn you. ;)

VictoriaM
03-22-2007, 22:31
When you get propositioned about some shady get-rich-quick stock scheme, don't complain that I didn't warn you. ;)

Hmph, I would never leave my husband for a.....wait, can I actually get rich with this scheme?...I would never leave my husband for such a terrible thing! :p

bfitz
03-22-2007, 22:34
Did I say stock? I meant co...:eek: !!!!

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 22:35
Hmph, I would never leave my husband for a.....wait, can I actually get rich with this scheme?...I would never leave my husband for such a terrible thing! :p

Girl, you're going back on the trail with his blessings....you already are rich.

(Hey, when they ask about your name, you can add that your husband's trail name is "Guido".....and then say, big-eyed, "And that isn't the half of it. The man is a menace, do not let him find out you've been near me.")

Brrrb Oregon
03-22-2007, 22:36
Hey, when they ask about your name, you can add that your husband's trail name is "Guido".....and then say, big-eyed, "And that isn't the half of it. The man is a menace, do not let him find out you've been near me."

OK, maybe not. Lying will always get you in trouble. But you are rich!

got milf?
03-23-2007, 00:22
She's 100% Irish. Just like I thought.

A sweetie, too. :)

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 02:13

For a girl that just wanted to know if anyone felt badly as you did when you started this thread, you have taken an INORDinate amount of heat here.
And you dished it back, and mostly rightly so.
With few exceptions that was all the energy you recieved until you announceed you were going back.
It's that treatment that will definitely keep me from asking a question here. What if it's the wrong one? I'm screwed.
But you survived quite nicely and you're headed back and I wish you the best of luck, as with everyone headed out or already there.
I'm not sure the hoopla of your name will matter out in the woods at all as it did here.
But if you do, you deserve the right one. There is something that describes what you are to all this and what it means to you. You were describing the ashes of your life long dream when you started this thread.
How about Phoenix?:) :) :)

Peace VM
SOBO6/07

Heater
03-23-2007, 02:16
She's 100% Irish. Just like I thought.

A sweetie, too. :)

Talking about suggestive trailnames.... Got MILF!?? :eek:

I am surprised the mods have not snapped to that one yet. :-?

Heater
03-23-2007, 02:32
Victoria, I am glad you are returning to the trail but I think you should do it after you find other accomodations for the pugs. Not Caged.

I think you could make them a kennel or a dog run pretty easily. It's really not expensive at all! If you live in an apartment your could even get a child barrrier for a door and keep them in a bathroom or the kitchen or a spare bdrm with plastic laid down. That can be done for less than 50 bucks. No biggie. I you cannot afford it I think maybe somebody on here might volunteer. I would but I am too far away.

Just don't leave those animals caged like that for so many hours of the day. JMO... :-?

DawnTreader
03-23-2007, 11:42
To expect ATC to print in A.T. Journeys a name like more than 1 in this thread is outrageous! I would think people would have better judgement.:rolleyes:

I'm only speaking for myself on this one, however, I don't believe that anyone choosing or accepting a given trailname has this in mind when deliberating. I could care less if my name (which is totally printable) were "appropriate" enough to be printed in AT Journeys, and to have this in mind when choosing a name is truley self serving and stupid. Don't bow to anyone Llama Punch, I would never answer to this name, but if you like it, don't change it... You don't have to explain yourself to anyone..

The Dude

DawnTreader
03-23-2007, 11:44
P.s.
I like Warragihyagi's suggestion of the the trailname Phoenix

bfitz
03-23-2007, 13:02
P.s.
I like Warragihyagi's suggestion of the the trailname PhoenixSince we're discussing trail names in general, I have to say I find trailnames like that a little pretentious. Similiarly, I find mythological references, being named after historical, philosophical or literary figures and non-jokey names in general kind of pretentious . (In general, some are apropos because they suit the person soooo well. But typically when I meet a thoreau or a shakespeare or a nietzsche I immediately think "self-named" and "overly pretentious". Super-hero names or pro-wrestler names or pop culture references I'm usually okay with, but it seems to me to work out best when others confer a name with humor and affection after they get to know a person. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is not typically very highly regarded....

hammock engineer
03-23-2007, 14:27
Since we're discussing trail names in general, I have to say I find trailnames like that a little pretentious. Similiarly, I find mythological references, being named after historical, philosophical or literary figures and non-jokey names in general kind of pretentious . (In general, some are apropos because they suit the person soooo well. But typically when I meet a thoreau or a shakespeare or a nietzsche I immediately think "self-named" and "overly pretentious". Super-hero names or pro-wrestler names or pop culture references I'm usually okay with, but it seems to me to work out best when others confer a name with humor and affection after they get to know a person. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is not typically very highly regarded....

That's my take at least. I want my trail name to find me on the trail. Hopefully something good that is given to my for my lack of skills or gracefulness.

Programbo
03-23-2007, 19:06

Oh my..You should never say never...LOTS of people who had kids got back out there later in life ok..Husbands come and go..Life takes you odd places you never would have imagined...At least you got out there and tried which is more than a lot of people do... My incomplete thru hike was in 1977..I got away from hiking seriously for 30 years..Married 3 times..Now I`m back to day hiking for now and I dream of maybe doing a thru when I retire in 12 years..That special feeling you described you had when you arrived at the shelter at night will feel the same even if you don`t try another thru for 30 years..Just stay involved with the trail and helping others even if it`s just day hikes from time to time :)

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 19:12
Since we're discussing trail names in general, I have to say I find trailnames like that a little pretentious. Similiarly, I find mythological references, being named after historical, philosophical or literary figures and non-jokey names in general kind of pretentious . (In general, some are apropos because they suit the person soooo well. But typically when I meet a thoreau or a shakespeare or a nietzsche I immediately think "self-named" and "overly pretentious". Super-hero names or pro-wrestler names or pop culture references I'm usually okay with, but it seems to me to work out best when others confer a name with humor and affection after they get to know a person. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is not typically very highly regarded....

Sorry you feel that way. Sorry so many people have these feelings when all there is behind the thought is pure, simple, good energy. How can that ever be found repugnant (yes I know you didn't use that word but you sure evoked that feeling)?
It comes from good stuff.
I understand what you're saying in general, it's the kind of pretention that one might use infusing a form of apropo into a general dialog. Gives them a feeling of self-importance but makes the audience cringe.
So - apropo of nothing -
Phoenix was meant to just be any idea, and it came from good energy.:) ;)

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 19:18
I'm only speaking for myself on this one, however, I don't believe that anyone choosing or accepting a given trailname has this in mind when deliberating. I could care less if my name (which is totally printable) were "appropriate" enough to be printed in AT Journeys, and to have this in mind when choosing a name is truley self serving and stupid. Don't bow to anyone Llama Punch, I would never answer to this name, but if you like it, don't change it... You don't have to explain yourself to anyone..

The Dude

Exactly. Well spoken Dude.:)

wacocelt
08-09-2007, 08:16
:sun

My trailname WAS Puck, but a friend gave me a T-shirt (you can see it for yourself in my only WB photo) and folks started calling me that day one.

I'm glad I can still be a source of enjoyment for you folks. I use to get pissed off at these anonymous jabs, but now I stop in solely to see how many of you will go out of your way to dig up this horse and beat it.

Victoria...
I've received everything from snide comments to death threats from this lovely little community, yet strangely enough, whenever I head back out to a trail, I'm welcomed me with big smiles and open arms. A few folks may avoid me, which is perfectly understandable, but NONE of these internet blow hards will ever confront you in person. Some of these folks will grab hold of something and never let it go, no matter how hard you may word to redeem yourself. The thing is, the trail takes care of it's own. This site is NOT the trail and only a small percentage of the people that post here will actually ever walk a mile on it

Good luck on your hike. Be well.

Puck Fu

weary
08-09-2007, 08:54

Many people do thru hikes in their 60s. Even I managed to get from Springer to Katahdin in six months and three days after celebrating my 64th birthday that May.

Mine wasn't a thru hike. I had to take two critical weeks off because of a strange nerve disorder that made it impossible for me to sleep. But it certainly felt like a thru hike when I reached the summit of Katahdin on Oct. 16, 1993.

Quite a few do thru hikes in their 70s, and a couple of hikers have earned 2000 miler patches in their 80s.

Very few of my expectations at age 26 came true. But many greater things -- things far greater than anything I could imagine at age 26 did happen.

Life is full of surprises.

Weary

Time To Fly 97
08-09-2007, 09:22
IMHO you husband has nothing to do with your decision to not continue after you heal. It is your choice and you should be cool with that. It is an awesome thing that you attempted a thru-hike (period). It sucks that you got injured, but it is what it is. Your depression is typical, I think, after any extended stay in the woods - natural resistance to change and temporary. Consider what you are doing different terrain and then adapt and enjoy.

As for helping your friends slack - I'm sure it would be good to see them. I have life long friends from my hikes.

happy hiking!

TTF

Mags
08-09-2007, 10:26
Very few of my expectations at age 26 came true. But many greater things -- things far greater than anything I could imagine at age 26 did happen.

Life is full of surprises.

Weary, that was awesome. I'm only 33, and I find that to be true. What I expected out of life seven years ago is different from what I have now. Who know what the next seven years will bring?

Life is too short to use the word NEVER. Esp at 26 yrs old!

Ender
08-09-2007, 11:01
Mine wasn't a thru hike. I had to take two critical weeks off because of a strange nerve disorder that made it impossible for me to sleep. But it certainly felt like a thru hike when I reached the summit of Katahdin on Oct. 16, 1993.

I would still consider that a thru hike. Taking time off for injury doesn't change the fact that you finished it in one go... the time off was just another aspect of the same trip.

That's just me though... I consider everything that happened during my hike, everything, as part of the trip. From injuries, to hostels, to shelters, to days off in town, to all the miles hiked, to sleeping out under the stars.... it's all what got me from Georgie to Maine.

weary
08-09-2007, 11:43
I would still consider that a thru hike. Taking time off for injury doesn't change the fact that you finished it in one go... the time off was just another aspect of the same trip.
Well, I had to bypass Southern New England in order to beat winter to Katahdin. I didn't do the missed sections for two years -- so I'm just a section hiker, though the first section took six months. The second a couple of weeks, maybe three. I forget.

Weary

minnesotasmith
08-10-2007, 01:22
You said: "Husbands come and go"

Only if the woman divorces them, as a rule. Easily 75% of divorces in marriages involving minor children (families) are filed for by the woman, and the bulk of the time without what has long been considered legal (e.g., real) grounds existing for those divorces, let alone them having been substantiated in court to legally acceptable levels. If a woman wants to marry, start a family, and not get divorced, the most important thing in preventing it is for her not to file for divorce herself. How hard can that be for people to figure out?

ed bell
08-10-2007, 01:53

Only if the woman divorces them, as a rule. Easily 75% of divorces in marriages involving minor children (families) are filed for by the woman, and the bulk of the time without what has long been considered legal (e.g., real) grounds existing for those divorces, let alone them having been substantiated in court to legally acceptable levels. If a woman wants to marry, start a family, and not get divorced, the most important thing in preventing it is for her not to file for divorce herself. How hard can that be for people to figure out? The easiest way to avoid divorce is to not file for one. I'll take note of that. :rolleyes:

Wonder
08-10-2007, 07:58
I thought it was to never get married........marriage is the leading cause of divorce

superman
08-10-2007, 08:57
In the first place there is no such thing as a failed thru hike. It is only a thru hike that turned into a section hike. It's no thing.
In the second place I've been married and I've been single. They are just two different flavors. I was married for 18.5 years and a lot of good things happened. On the other hand a lot of good things happened while I've been single. Both flavors are good...just different.
Thirdly, life is like a thru hike. Just because there is rain some times doesn't mean it's not a good hike.
Finally I tell you about a friend of mine who came to me and said "My wife wants me to sell my Harley or else she's filing for a divorce." With out pause I said "keep your Harley...it makes less noise than your wife." While that may seem knee slapping hilarious to you the point is to figure out what's important to you and just do it.
(personal philosophy...no charge)

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 13:15
I'm a little confused.

I thought VictoriaM went back out on the trail, full of renewed hope and with her husband's blessings, marriage in fine shape, back in April.

Has she been heard from since? Has something gone wrong that I don't know about? I thought she was still out there.

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 13:21
The easiest way to avoid divorce is to not file for one. I'll take note of that. :rolleyes:

I think that a woman who vows to kill her husband rather than divorce him can statistically expect to face a significantly lower risk of divorce, particularly if she owns both a cast-iron skillet and a shot gun. I've been told that this attitude really fosters a sense of attentiveness and a commitment to fidelity in the husband, as well. Well, that's what my mom told me, anyway. I know many women married over 50 years who have said the same thing. The resolution to continue living is a strong motivator.

The standard of separation under this strategy is "Not a jury in the world would convict you, girl."

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 13:25
I think that a woman who vows to kill her husband rather than divorce him can statistically expect to face a significantly lower risk of divorce, particularly if she owns both a cast-iron skillet and a shot gun. I've been told that this attitude really fosters a sense of attentiveness and a commitment to fidelity in the husband, as well. Well, that's what my mom told me, anyway. I know many women married over 50 years who have said the same thing. The resolution to continue living is a strong motivator.

The standard of separation under this strategy is "Not a jury in the world would convict you, girl."

None of the husbands were ever injured in these experiments. Domestic violence is inconsistent with the survival of marriage, and it doesn't matter who the perpetrator is. The point is that these ladies were willing to put up with a lot, they were in it for the long haul, but they drew their boundaries quite clearly, too, and in no uncertain terms.

Kiyu
08-10-2007, 14:47
I'm a little confused.

I thought VictoriaM went back out on the trail, full of renewed hope and with her husband's blessings, marriage in fine shape, back in April.

Has she been heard from since? Has something gone wrong that I don't know about? I thought she was still out there.

She went back out in April I think and when I checked her journal there was nothing after her April 11 entry. She came out recently and posted something about her dogs so it seems she wasn't able to stay on the trail.
Kiyu

Brrrb Oregon
08-10-2007, 16:56
She went back out in April I think and when I checked her journal there was nothing after her April 11 entry. She came out recently and posted something about her dogs so it seems she wasn't able to stay on the trail.
Kiyu

Oh, well.... if she gets around a computer some time, I hope we hear from her. I've been wondering how it went. Maybe she has an open summer and is just doing other trails, instead. That could make an interesting story, too, when it comes.....the road less travelled.

chief
08-11-2007, 01:27

I served on a jury several years ago. Our case was a 49 yo woman who shotgunned her hubby while he was sleeping. Did we convict? You betcha! She got 25 years.

MOWGLI
08-11-2007, 07:16

Only if the woman divorces them, as a rule. Easily 75% of divorces in marriages involving minor children (families) are filed for by the woman, and the bulk of the time without what has long been considered legal (e.g., real) grounds existing for those divorces,

A few questions:

1. Whose "rule" are you referring to above?

2. Where did you get that 75% figure? Got any data to back up that claim?

3. How do you know that the "bulk" of divorces had no legal grounds?

MS, you claim to be a scientist, so I hope you can produce some data to bolster what appears to be conjecture on your part. I'll apologize for suggesting that you're wrong if you can back up your claim with something other than a "Father's Rights" website.

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 01:45
I served on a jury several years ago. Our case was a 49 yo woman who shotgunned her hubby while he was sleeping. Did we convict? You betcha! She got 25 years.

Important Clarification: Although my own mother, grandmother, and their contemporaries did talk like this, I didn't mean she actually should shoot him. I meant that if a jury would even consider forgiving you for shooting him, then go ahead and leave: you have grounds for separation. I think that is how Grandma meant it, too.

Seriously, though, I'm not advocating in favor of domestic violence. I'm advocating staying around as long as you find him no worse than annoying. Moods do change.

parintachin
08-30-2007, 00:44
Victoria: First, you're right, you can't go back now. Real injuries need time to heal, and injuring an injury will make it worse- not just at the moment, but for years to come. I'm speaking from experience.

Second, I understand where you're coming from. I began what was supposed to be a 3 month, 800 mile hike and had to leave the trail after one week: 35 miles into the 100-mile wilderness I injured one ankle badly enough to need a month's recovery, had to hike the 35 miles back to get home, and in so doing hurt the other as well as inflaming both knees. Proof as though any were needed, that ignoring knee injuries 10-11 years ago (repeated stress on a bad bone structure) still has it's effects today. (see above: take all the time you need to heal.)

Like you, I have had to accept that a thru-hike will not happen. It sucks. It really sucks. But you can still take weekend hikes, or week-long hikes, and when your kids get older, take them on a long 2-month hike during their summer break from school. At some point in your life you CAN take a break from working- whether that means becoming so indispensable at your job that they will hold it for you for 2, 3, or 6 months (hey, one place held my mother's for a year), or to quit your job and begin another 3-6 months later.

After your 4-8 weeks recovery time this time around, you don't have to get to work straightaway. Pick a campground by a big lake. Set up a tent. Hang out. Enjoy the air. It's free. It doesn't require too much use of your legs. Your arms still work- rent or borrow a kayak. Pick up a book on bird calls and on plants native to the region. Listen. Look. Learn. Enjoy :)

JAK
08-30-2007, 02:32
Silly rabbit. Woods are for kids.

JAK
08-30-2007, 02:56
Might as well being saying you can't go out on Halloween Night. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Life doesn't end with children. Life just begins all over again. Perhaps it easier when you grow up with woods all around you, but we have to stop thinking about the woods as some far off un-natural boogey man place that we need to prepare for like a space mission, and once we get there walk around in space suits like it was the moon. I think we sometimes take this business of leave no trace a bit far. Get down. Get dirty. Smell it. Taste it. Roll around in it. It's called nature for a reason. It's the place we are naturally meant to be. With kids, dogs, husbands, if you have them you just bring them along with you, naturally. ;)

JAK
08-30-2007, 03:56
Darn. This thread should be dead.
Please disregard or delete last two posts.