PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from non-americans

Trailers
03-18-2007, 18:41
Hey guys,
Im thinking about doing the AT next year, what i was wondering was....whats the deal with visas? i know if i just come to the US i get a 90 day tourist visa right? so how do i get a longer one to thru hike?

dont tell me i have to do a border run?

RiverWarriorPJ
03-18-2007, 19:32
There are many ways to handle that......"but"... YOU must 1st promise not to blow up the AT or leave trail side bombs...

peanuts
03-18-2007, 19:47
trailers, you need to go the the us embassy and apply for your visa and let them know what you are planning to do. visar are normally 90 days, but you might be able to get an extension. they will be able to give you all the info you will need. good luck!!!

MarcnNJ
03-18-2007, 20:30
For some reason, I remember hearing from foreigners last year that its a total crap shoot.....You can apply for a visa for a certain length of time (i.e. 7 months), and when you finally arrive here it could be shortend (5 months)....

Trailers
03-18-2007, 20:30
thanks guys.

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-18-2007, 21:34
I had to get a visa for my thu-hike lastyear, I'm an Aussie (obviously) but the process is the same from the UK. The process was slightly annoying (lots of forms & had to go to the consultate for an interview) but I had no problems at all with having my application accepted. It seems that they are very interested in making sure that you have good reasons to return home at the end of your trip ie. family, home owner, job etc. & that you do have enough cash to support yourself. The US consulate web site has all the information & forms you need & explains the process very clearly here is the link to the consulate in London

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...niv/index.html

The visa is for 1 or 5 years but the immigration officials at your port of entry decide how long your actual visit may be. I was given 6 months, whcih was enough for me.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions about the visa process or the trail in general.

Good luck !

Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-18-2007, 21:36
Try this one

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html

Kaptain Kangaroo

warraghiyagey
03-19-2007, 00:19
[quote=Kaptain Kangaroo;341314]I had to get a visa for my thu-hike lastyear, I'm an Aussie (obviously) but the process is the same from the UK. The process was slightly annoying (lots of forms & had to go to the consultate for an interview) but I had no problems at all with having my application accepted.
The visa is for 1 or 5 years but the immigration officials at your port of entry decide how long your actual visit may be. I was given 6 months, whcih was enough for me. . .

I'm a U.S citizen but as my hiking friends were from England and Switzerland I learned a bit. Ultimately they were given the amount of time they asked for. Immigration is pretty aware of the Appalachian trail and are accomodating after the initial red-tape. I was also fortunate to cross paths with Kaptain Kangaroo one day in Maine and as a man who finished I'm sure his tips are exactly what you're looking for.
Hope to see you on the trail.:) :)
Peace

Warraghiyagey - SOBO 6/07

Trailers
03-19-2007, 11:34
awesome advice, cheers guys.
All things well, I'll be starting in about 365 days! :sun

moxie
03-19-2007, 22:29
I'm in the process of getting a visa to visit China this summer. I will spend alot of time in Tibet but I was told not to mention I had any idea of going near Tibet to the Chinese Government. They consider it part of China but are not crazy about letting Americans near the place.