PDA

View Full Version : Water on the Art Loeb trail?

little bear
03-18-2007, 19:13
Im planninig on hiking the Art loeb Trail March 30-April1 and I have been looking at the National Geographic Topo map for Pisgah and I see very few water sources. My question is, are there small water sources, ie. little streams, or any thing like that, that is not shown on the map?

Thanks for any help

LB

Phreak
03-18-2007, 19:52
Yes, there are a lot of little water sources that aren't shown on maps. You'll have no issues finding water every few miles.

Ramble~On
03-22-2007, 03:49
Little Bear when are you planning on hiking ?
Duh... March 30-April 1..
Anyway..there are several piped springs that are reliable but don't qoute me on that and several small springs that can be nothing more than a trickle.

humunuku
06-26-2007, 23:03
FYI, Just did the Art Loeb this past weekend. Water was kinda scarce from Deep gap shelter until Grassy Cove top...lucky for me we had thunderstorms one night and i was able to filter from a puddle on a rock. Many springs were dry or down to just a drip...other than that, it was an incredible hike (although doing it in two days was a bit much....). Everyone needs do do it....now!

Ramble~On
06-28-2007, 02:50
There are some reliable water sources but they are off the A.L. a tad.
A piped spring is about 100 yards north of the gate at Black Balsam parking area (FS 816). Prior to reaching Shining Rock gap there are two springs a few yards to the right of the trail...( maybe 50 yards south of the junction with Shining Creek Trail) I was in Shining Rock and the Middle Prong Sunday and Monday - the thunderstorms made finding water real easy.:)