PDA

View Full Version : acrylic sweaters

sloopjonboswell
03-18-2007, 21:21
the one i have is really comfortable, how does acrylic compare to wool for a march start. surely i wont be the only person carrying a sweater this month.:-?

Appalachian Tater
03-18-2007, 21:49
Wool keeps you warm. Acrylic doesn't do as good a job. If you don't have a wool sweater, go to a thrift shop and buy one, preferably with buttons or a zipper at the neck to extend the range of temps where it is comfortable. There are plenty of thrift shops in Athens. You might also get one at Target or on sale at someplace like J.C. Penney.

rafe
03-18-2007, 23:08
I almost always hike with either a wool or acrylic flannel shirt. Not necessarily to wear while hiking, but great to wear at camp on cool evenings. If it's cold enough to warrant it, I might wear it while walking... but that doesn't usually happen in the height of summer.

dust never sleeps
03-21-2007, 22:26
What the f00ck is acrylic? Some type of polyester?

rafe
03-21-2007, 22:33
What the f00ck is acrylic? Some type of polyester?

In a word, yes. From Wikipedia:
Acrylic fibers are produced in a range of deniers, typically from 1 to 15. End uses include sweaters, hand-knitting yarns, rugs, awnings, boat covers, and as a precursor for carbon fiber. Production of acrylic fibers is centered in the Far East, declining in Europe and now shut down (except for precursor) in the U.S.

Acrylic is lightweight, soft, and warm, with a wool-like feel. It dyes very well and has excellent colorfastness. It is resilient, retains its shape, and resists shrinkage and wrinkles. It is quite varied in form and sometimes has an appearance similar to wool or cotton.
Here's a link to an acrylic flannel shirt (http://www.blair.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=BlairCorp&pcats=99999%2C100001%2C100263&catalogId=10001&categoryId=100263&productId=32195&prnbr=29054&cmCategoryId=Keyword+Search&langId=-1&storeId=10001&ddkey=PCNSearch) at blair.com. $9.95. I've got a couple of these. Very comfy. Feels like cotton, but it's all-synthetic.

Bravo
03-21-2007, 23:19
One Word=Thermawrap

Whistler
03-21-2007, 23:44
I think wool is more comfortable. Acrylic tends to be a little too hot when it's warm, and too clammy when it's wet. You can find decent merino wool sweaters at thrift stores for about $5 bucks. That's what I'd use.
-Mark

chknfngrs
03-22-2007, 07:38
I have and use both. Wool is definitely the better option. Acrylic works best when layering, but as stated before doesn't breath or dry as well as wool. When I know I will be in cold, dry conditions, I'll most likely take an extra layer to throw under the acrylic. But if it's wet, the woolen goodies go first.

For March on the AT? Prolly wool shootoff is your best bet...I'd get a Cashmere V Neck were I to be you..