PDA

View Full Version : Lids

Brother in Arms
03-18-2007, 23:23
What do you wear on your bean???

My favorite lid is a Boonie hat. With the sides cocked up ( using the chin strap) But its hard to find one that fits because I have such a fat head.

For colder weather and at night I wear a knit cap and in hot weather I wear a torn t-shirt like a dew rag to keep my long hair and sweat out of my face.

I am considering bringind a silk handkerchief for hot weather on my sobo trip.

Brother in Arms

rafe
03-18-2007, 23:25
I never go anywhere without my Seattle Sombrero. :D Who cares if it's doofy looking. Keeps the rain off my noggin, confuses the bugs a bit.

astrogirl
03-19-2007, 00:19
a Nylon baseball cap. My current one is red with black mesh, I don't even know the brand.

I love that thing. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

bfitz
03-19-2007, 02:16
I thought this was a thread about buying weed in the olden days. And seattle sombreros aren't doofy looking!

Brother in Arms
03-20-2007, 10:27
Bfitz
you though the post was about buying weed? What gave you that Idea?

a Lid is a military term for a hat or cap.

By the way what is seattle sombrero??

Damn guess I don't know anything.

Thanks everyone
Brother in Arms

veteran
03-20-2007, 10:41
Seattle Sombrero (http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/headware/rain_hats/82130)

Old Grouse
03-20-2007, 11:05
[Y]ou though the post was about buying weed? What gave you that Idea?

Oh, to be young again!

rafe
03-20-2007, 11:11
"Rococco, you slimy weasel, how did you get in here? You don't have key."
"No, only half a key. I had to split it with the sound effects man."
-- Firesign Theater, ca. 1972 (?)

Tractor
03-20-2007, 11:23
back to the lid, I thought I would like to wear one and did so in the early days but I do not carry anymore. Just use a bandana from time to time. Another less thing to stress about......

Long feet
03-20-2007, 11:59
Hey,

I have to give props to the Tilley hat. I wear the LT6
http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=1&gender=u&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=LT6

A really great hat. Super light. Big brim. Cool in the Summer. In the winter I have been wearing a ninjaclava, but I just ordered a Thermal Polar Buff. I hope that it gets here before my next hike at the end of the month. Happy hat wearing.

Jesse

Gray Blazer
03-20-2007, 14:33
"Rococco, you slimy weasel, how did you get in here? You don't have key."
"No, only half a key. I had to split it with the sound effects man."
-- Firesign Theater, ca. 1972 (?)

Antelope Freeway....one mile

Midway Sam
03-20-2007, 14:41
Tilley LT3 if it's raining, otherwise I "go commando".

Old Grouse
03-20-2007, 14:42
Let's see, do I want the Antelope Freeway north.....?

Mother's Finest
03-20-2007, 14:49
I thought this was a thread about buying weed in the olden days. And seattle sombreros aren't doofy looking!

:banana :banana :banana

I am sure all the kids on the trail want lids right about now.

plus i like the annoying dancing banannas and I have many hours till I can decompress with my own lid....

Mammoth
03-20-2007, 15:43
Seattle Sombrero (http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/headware/rain_hats/82130)

The Seattle Sombrero is a nice hat, but it's too small for very big heads. I've had a lot of luck with the nylon booney hat from Columbia ($25), the larger size. It has an "adjustable" velcro strap on the inside, but if you pull that out then you get another inch of room. I also wear a bandana to keep my hair back.

Here is a link to a photo of me wearing the Columbia hat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/ChloeKing/itasca2938-1.jpg

And here is a link to the newest version of this hat. I have last years version that doesn't have a "terry cloth sweatband," but hopefully the larger styling is still in effect.
http://www.columbia.com/product.aspx?p=4231&cat=6&top=6&keyword=booney&topCatSearchName=&topCatSearchId=0&viewAll=False&currPage=1&searchType=keyword&activityId=0&activityName=&currFilterType=&allFilters=catFilterId%3d0%7ccatFilterName%3d

bigcranky
03-20-2007, 15:54
I've worn lots of different lids over the years, from the Seattle Sombrero (great in rain and cold, too hot in sunny weather), to a nylon Columbia boonie hat (nice shade, but it collapses when wet), and mostly a Columbia nylon ball cap with lots of mesh. But last week I wore my Tilley hat, a hemp version (TH3?), and it was great. Kept my face and neck covered in the sun, kept me mostly dry in a total downpour, and shaded my eyes enough that I didn't need sunglasses.

I loved it out in the Southwest last summer, but I had some concerns about using it on the AT. But it turned out well, and will probably be my hat of choice from here on out. (Though I still need to test it in hot muggy weather.)

rafe
03-20-2007, 15:55
Let's see, do I want the Antelope Freeway north.....?

Either way, long as you've got climate control. Me, I go for "Land of the Pharoahs." :D

Old Grouse
03-20-2007, 16:03
"Hee, hee, hee, here we are in the Land of the Pharoahs"

leeki pole
03-20-2007, 16:27
from an old DeadHead, "sometimes the light's all shining on me,
other times it can barely be seen" (kavu baseball cap, fwiw):)

Kerosene
03-20-2007, 16:32
A lightweight (1.5 oz) nylon ballcap with plastic brim from Mountain Hardwear.

Gray Blazer
03-20-2007, 16:43
A lightweight (1.5 oz) nylon ballcap with plastic brim from Mountain Hardwear.

You can put a gator sticker on the front to drive all them Volunteers nutz.:D

Brother in Arms
03-21-2007, 10:24
Man all you old hippies are crazy! But helpful characters...incidentally I had a firesign theatre record when I was a kid... W.C. Fields forever was pretty amusing.

Thanks for more info on hats....

I think I am going to memorize all the dead songs I know so I can have something to sing to people to entertain them on the trip.

Brother in Arms