PDA

View Full Version : Bland VA

Repeat
03-19-2007, 06:17
Does anyone have any information concerning a new hostel in Bland VA? I am looking for a place to park and a shuttle to the trail just outside of Bland.
Repeat

trippclark
03-19-2007, 10:53
When are you looking at doing this? I too am searching for the exact same info and am hoping to do a 42 mile northbound section starting at Bland on the weekend of April 14. I'm hoping that I can find a shuttle and avoid taking two cars.

Yahtzee
03-19-2007, 12:22
I do not know of the hostel in Bland, but if you go to the IGA in town, there will be a phone number for George and Murray Zeigenfuss. George is former thruhiker and one of the kindest people I have met in my travels. You might want to check that out.

BTW, George, who is over 70 yrs. old, was shot while hiking on the trail on New Year's Day a few years back. Doctor told him he'd be dead if he wasn't a hiker Morale? Get's to walkin'.

Happy Trails.

Repeat
03-19-2007, 12:24
I am doing this section This Sat, Sun, and Monday. If the hostel is not open, I will park at the hotel and pay for a shuttle to the trailhead then use a suttle for the return from Pearisburg.
Repeat

HappyGoLucky
03-25-2007, 00:00
Not aware of a hostel there. Used to be one in Bastian until the mid-90s.

Big Walker Motel is the one place of lodging that I'm aware of in Bland.

Lilred
03-25-2007, 02:07
I was in Bland last summer, will start again there this summer. No hostel that I know of, just that motel, and boy is it out of the way. Bland is good for a quick resupply.

Repeat
03-26-2007, 13:38
I started the section at the AT's juncture with Hwy. 52. There is room to park on the side of the road. There were two vehicles parked there by section hikers. I used Brenda from the Rendezvous Hotel in Pearisberg(540-921-2636) as my shuttle to Hwy. 52. She was very helpful. The trail is a road walk for about a mile and leaves the gravel road to the right at a double blaze, almost a 180 degree right turn. I stayed at the first shelter (Halvey's Mill) Friday night. I hung my hammock behind the shelter. There is small creek in front of the shelter about an 8 minute walk down a switch back trail. About an hour north of the shelter as you crest a knob there is a tree with a blue blaze on the right and a white blaze on the left. The AT proceeds down hill to the right of the tree with no white blaze evident for about 30 yards or so down the trail. The walking is moderate ridge walking with few rock or roots but lots of leaves (leaf surfing). I had lunch at the Jenny Knob Shelter. There is a good spring down a blue blaze trail to the left of shelter (left as you face the front of the shelter). It is about a 9 minute steep walk to the spring. The last 50 yards is through a maze of rhododendron--it is blue blazed all the way to the spring. Be careful to follow the blue blaze back---I got lost tring to short cut back to the shelter. My water trip took an hour. There is NO water between these shelters. It is pretty dry at this point. When you cross VA608 north of this shelter, cross the road to the clearing just in front of you and you can see the trail on the other side of the clearing. No white blazes untill you are into the woods a few feet. I thought I would camp at Kimberling Creek, but did not see any suitable sites so I did an easy two to Dismal Falls. I am very glad I did. This is a wonderful place to camp (highlight of my trip). Plenty of spots for tents or hammocks and lots of easy access water and I got to sleep to the sound of rushing water. I got in the hammock at 8pm and did not get out till 7AM. Sunday morning I hiked a very easy 6 miles of level dirt path to the Wapiti Shelter. Be alert for the double blazes, the first left turn is easy to miss. You are on old roads which make the turns easy to miss. The pull out of Wapiti is not bad, about a mile and half to two miles, with some pretty views at the end. I had been having some difficulty with my stomach, which was worsening I hiked. It was to the point I was unable to drink, so I stopped at Big Horse Gap (the towers at the top of the hill) and called Brenda to pick me up at Sugar Gap Rd. She came and got me and tried not to let me pay her, but I insisted. I highly recommend her services. I used Baltimore Jack's resupply recommendations from here on WhiteBlaze. I also was able to contact George Ziegenfuss (GaMe89) who offered to help me in any way possible. He lives in the vicinity and is a real friend to hikers.
Repeat

trippclark
03-26-2007, 14:54
Repeat,

Thanks for the trip report. I am planning the same hike April 13 - 15. Your information will be very helpful. I have already corresponded with Brenda at the Rendezvous Motel also.

Tripp

Gaiter
03-26-2007, 16:13
bland is bland, the name is a perfect fit,
where in bland did a hostel open up?
i got a hitch out of bland from a very nice older hiker (looked to be in his 70's or 80's), who had 'at hiker' liscence plate and a bunch of AT stickers on the back of his little red truck, don't remember his name but he said he used to run a hostel in bland, might be the George guy yall mentioned? anyone know?

ASUGrad
03-28-2007, 11:12
The prison is pretty close

Jim Adams
03-28-2007, 14:21
bland is bland, the name is a perfect fit,
where in bland did a hostel open up?
i got a hitch out of bland from a very nice older hiker (looked to be in his 70's or 80's), who had 'at hiker' liscence plate and a bunch of AT stickers on the back of his little red truck, don't remember his name but he said he used to run a hostel in bland, might be the George guy yall mentioned? anyone know?
Might have been Levi Long from Bastian. Bastian is a far better stop IMO.
geek

Brrrb Oregon
03-28-2007, 14:41
bland is bland, the name is a perfect fit
Still, I thought Boring, Oregon, was saddled with a bad name!
They could be sister cities! :D

doodles
04-08-2007, 22:01
I used Brenda from the Rendezvous Hotel in Pearisberg(540-921-2636) as my shuttle to Hwy. 52. She was very helpful.

Hey Repeat,

When we met a few years ago, Ron and I parked at the Rendezvous and Brenda shuttled us as well. Short walk from the trail, very helpfull and reliable.