PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerest

shrimp
08-18-2003, 16:55
How many cubic inches does a full length ridgerest take up in a pack? From one website I went to, it came to about 800 ci... I'm amazed at that. (my tent seems to be 200 ci, sleeping bag about the same)

gravityman
08-18-2003, 17:05
It does not pack well. If you are looking for the smallest pad, go for the thermarest ultralight 3/4 length. If you are looking for light and small, the z-rest is the best, but it doesn't insolate well, and goes "flat" very fast. The ridgerest is great for insolation and being relatively light, but doesn't pack well.

Gravity man

Grimace
08-19-2003, 08:21
A lot of the new light weight packs have you line the inside of the pack with the sleeping pad. Then you put all of your stuff in the middle. When you compress it, it becomes rigid and thus supportive. By forming a tube with your ridgerest you'll maximize the space in your pack.

Streamweaver
08-19-2003, 15:56
Just remember that the pad takes up the same amount of space rolled up tightly as it does unrolled with your stuff in the middle! And with the ridgerest (even mine that is cut to 50")thats quite a bit of space that could be better used.I just put my ridgerest in a stuff sack and carry it on the outside of the pack. Streamweaver

dionalaniz
08-19-2003, 16:28
i've never actually seen anyone pack the sleeping pad *in* the pack. Usually it's strapped somewhere on the outside of the back, usually on the bottom. Many packs have straps located near the bottom specifically for this knowing that sleeping pads are just to voluminous to put inside your pack.

tlbj6142
08-19-2003, 16:42
As mentioned above quite a few lightweight packs expect/require that the pad be placed inside the pack.

Moonlite
GPV4
Granite Gear's Virga
Gearskin

....and many, many others.

shrimp
08-19-2003, 21:34
I've thought about maybe just going with the Z-Rest, and making an exterior pocket for it between my back and the pack. (Alice medium, no frame) I also figured I could add pockets on the bottom for the tent & sleeping bag I want to get. (Microzoid & Marmot Hydrogen) This would save me over 1000ci inside the pack, and since it's only got 2350ci normally, I will probably need that space.

brian
08-19-2003, 22:00
Tlbj6142:

You say that the Gearskin requires you to use a pad.

In reality, it does not. I used not a pad but my in-camp-sandals\a small kneeling pad (6"x15") along my back, with no pad of any substantial size, and it worked great. I think John McCue, owner of moonbow gear generally tells people to use a pad not so much for support but for protection of the contents of the gearskin.

Brian
Thru Hiker Year 201X

tlbj6142
08-20-2003, 12:17
Brian;

I can't wait for your 10+ page report full of pictures. But until it arrives...

You used a knee pad as a stiffener (for lack of a better term) along the back of the pack (Gearskin), correct?

Do you carry a pad for sleeping?
Do you wrap you gear up inside of your shelter as shown on Moonbow's site?
Or do you put your gear into stuff sacks and stack them inside of the gearskin?

Grimace
08-21-2003, 08:57
Hey tlbj6142,

Thought I would tell what I do with my Gearskin. The thing is extremely versatile.

My base weight w/o food and water is under 20 lbs. I carry a Z-Rest as my sleeping pad.

I put all of my gear into stuff sacks. One for clothes, one for my cookset, headlamp, pocket knife, one for food, and one for sleeping bag.

In the morning I take down tent, fold in thirds long ways. I then take my z rest and fold that in thirds as well. (I tried lying the Z Rest flat the first few times but I found that in would start to scrunch together at its folds as I walked.) I fold it in thirds and lay it so the folds go up and down (from waist to neck) I then lay the GSkin on the ground totally unhooked and slide the tent with the z rest on top over onto it. I fold the G Skin over and loosely clip all the side buckles. I then put in the stuff sacks on top of each other clothes, food, gear, sleeping bag. Almost like packing a top loader. I then slide my MSR Dromedary (water platypus) down the outside between the tent and the outer layer of Gskin. I clip the top buckles and then compress it all together.

This method worked great with 40lbs (10 days of food plus 4 liters of water) as well as with 20 lbs.

tlbj6142
08-21-2003, 09:24
Grimace;

Thanks for the info. Did you order hipbelt pouches and/or a front pocket for your gearskin? What material option did you choose?

brian
08-21-2003, 09:51
I did use the knee pad as a stiffener, and i put all my gear into 2 Exped Fold Drybags, and a silnylon bag for food. Loose items were either put in the hipbelt pockets (Aqua-mira, headlamp, lighter, camera, energy bars), in the mesh pocket on the back (pack cover, mug, rope, platy bladder (not used while hiking..i use a 2 liter camelbak) stakes). My HH Fly, which is 3 times the normal size (that i made), is wrapped up in my 2'x3' tyvek groundcloth for under the hammock and was put generally in the middle. I also had a small piece (2.5'x2') of close celled pad which i simply rolled up and put at the bottom of the pad, and it was out of the way, adn it didnt take up much space at all. So for inside the pack, i had 3 stuffsacks, 1 Hennessy Hammock in snakeskins, and my fly bundle.

THis method worked great up to the 32 pounds that I have tried so far in it. My max weight for my trip was 32 lbs.

BTW, my stuffsacks were all arranged horizontally in the pack, and the drybags are the perfect length for the gearskin, not sticking out too much out the sides. I buried my camelbak against the knee pad, so it was protected from rips and tears. to refil it....this is something I take pride in thinking of....I would remove the bite valve, and replace it w\ a platypus filter link. I would treat my water in my 2 liter platy, and then attach the platy to the camelbak hose via the filter link. Gravity would send most of the water back into the camelbak, with a little bit of force needed in the end.

Brian
Currently 15
Thru Hiker 2013...after grad school

BTW, my gearskin was 4oz oxford

brian
08-21-2003, 09:53
PS....

Ive got 4 pages done so far;)

Grimace
08-21-2003, 12:51
I have the ripstop nylon G Skin and I did opt for the mesh pocket on the back (front??)

I carried a couple snacks, Aqua Mira, First Aid kit, rain fly in that pocket.

I also laid the stuff sacks horizontally. The taller I made the G SKin (within reason) the more comfortable it was for me.

jlb2012
08-21-2003, 13:43
That is the key with the Gearskin - pack it tall enough so the straps can lift the load off of the shoulders and transfer the load through the pack to the hip belt. I use a hammock with a full length blue foam pad as the "shell" of the pack and even after tucking the top down some it is still tall enough to be very comfortable.

tlbj6142
08-21-2003, 13:48
Originally posted by Hog On Ice
pack it tall enough so the straps can lift the load off of the shoulders and transfer the load through the pack to the hip beltWhat "straps" are you talking about? There are a dozen straps on the Gearskin.

gravityman
08-21-2003, 13:53
Just thought that i would add in a few things here.

First, I had to do some modification to my gear skin to get the load lifters to work properly. I added in a buckle in the last daisey chain in the webbing on the shoulder strap. Then I put the loadlifters through this buckle. Otherwise the load lifter made the pack feel like it was pulling back. Load lifters should attach near the clavical (sp) bone and lift up from there.

2nd I got the silnylon version and just recently slipped and fell on a rock field, landing on my butt. Something that i have done a million times. Unfortunately a rock cut the silnylon (6" gash). I guess I should have gotten the tougher material. I am going to mend it with shield of some kind to prevent this from happening - so the upper half will still be silnylon but the lower half will be something tougher.

Just my experiences thus far with it. I haven't actually used it backpacking, but have taken it up 8 14ers.

Gravity Man

PS My only complaint (and I LOVE this pack) is that it is too warm against my back. This causes more sweat to run down my back, into my, well, you know, and causes serious chaffing. I am concerned about this over a longer trip...

Fallingwater
08-21-2003, 14:29
>> I've thought about maybe just going with the Z-Rest, and making an exterior pocket for it between my back and the pack. (Alice medium, no frame) I also figured I could add pockets on the bottom for the tent & sleeping bag I want to get. (Microzoid & Marmot Hydrogen) This would save me over 1000ci inside the pack, and since it's only got 2350ci normally, I will probably need that space. <<

Shrimp,

The pack you're describing already exists, it's the Moonlite from Six Moon Designs. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com. There's also a pocket on the side big enough for an ultralight tent.

They are currently on price reduction for $80 while the next generation pack is being developed.

Fallingwater

tlbj6142
08-21-2003, 14:40
Originally posted by Fallingwater
The pack you're describing already exists, it's the Moonlite from Six Moon Designs.You are such a good salesman Fallingwater.:D

tlbj6142
08-21-2003, 14:44
Originally posted by gravityman
too warm against my back.Another reason not to get the Silnylon version. Might was well have a gearskin made out of PVC.:D

My brother's is made out of the 1.9 ripstop, with 400d around the bottom third (where the hipbelt attaches around the bottom and up the front about 4"-6"). With one hipbelt pouch and no front pocket, it weights 1# 6.54oz (639g) on my EX5 scale.

gravityman
08-21-2003, 16:03
Yeah, that sounds like a better option. If I was reordering... maybe I'll ask him for a quote to remake the pack...

Gravity Man

jlb2012
08-21-2003, 16:20
tlbj6142 - the straps I was talking about are the load lifter straps that go from the shoulder harhess to the top two buckles on the main body of the Gearskin