PDA

View Full Version : Equinox Katadin?

whitefoot_hp
03-19-2007, 10:54
anybody ever used this pack or know much about it?

whitefoot_hp
03-19-2007, 10:54
heres a link if you need it
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010

sparky2000
03-19-2007, 11:33
Used it last year in the summer from MD. to mid NY. Very comfortable IF one doesn't overload. Durable. Pack to avoid punching holes in the walls. Use the tie straps to hold one's pad therein keeping the load balanced inside the pack.

bigcranky
03-19-2007, 11:41
I tested it for Backpackgeartest a few years ago. The hip belt was great, and the three-strap system worked pretty well to transfer some weight to the hips. It was usable with total loads under 20-22 pounds, at least on my back. Even though it looks like a giant silnylon stuff sack with straps, be aware that the entire back (the part the contacts your back) is made of mesh, and rain will get inside the pack.

rswanson
03-19-2007, 15:00
I think Neo uses this pack and swears by it, maybe ask him. Of course, he also sleeps in a hammock......

neo
03-19-2007, 15:35
anybody ever used this pack or know much about it?

excellent pack,the best long distance pack i have owned,i have been using this pack for over 3 years now.:cool: neo

Cedar Tree
03-19-2007, 16:37
I also carry this pack, but BigCranky is right. The back is mesh, and definitely not waterproof. A packa works well with this pack. Also, the mesh is pretty rough, you can't wear it without a shirt or it will rub you raw.
CT

soccrosse
03-19-2007, 20:11
I've been using this pack for the last 3 years with great success. I use a large trash bag as an inner liner to keep my sleeping bag and clothes dry. I also use my inflatable matress as an inner tube to give the pack some rigidity. In my case the pack is most comfortable with loads under 25 lbs. The first year I used the pack I had some troubles with a rip around the drawstring area. I contacted Equinox and was directly linked with the designer who modified the pack by sewing in a triangular reinforcement area. They sent me a new pack and asked me to test it out. Great folks....

2Questions
03-19-2007, 20:53
I've been using it for a couple of years in all seasons. My gear fits well..yes I'm a hanger too!!...Its durable. I've added a custom mesh gear bag that attaches using the top two straps so I can keep wet gear and on the go items handy. So far no problems. The hip belt is good enough for me to carry 28lbs with no problems and I bet it could do more. I use a Packa and compactor trash bag liner with no problem in wet weather. My rolled up sleeping pad protects the bag from items poking the silnylon. Overall I'm real happy with it.

neo
03-19-2007, 21:19
I also carry this pack, but BigCranky is right. The back is mesh, and definitely not waterproof. A packa works well with this pack. Also, the mesh is pretty rough, you can't wear it without a shirt or it will rub you raw.
CT

not a problem for me i use a oversized silnylon pack liner in mine:cool: neo

WILLIAM HAYES
03-19-2007, 22:15
I have used this pack for two years. It has worked well for me but I would not recommend loading more than 25 lbs which would stress the pack. I had a small hole develop and Equinox promptly sent me a new pack-Their customer service was outstanding. Be careful packing your gear in order to get a uniform shape. Pack structure is created by your sleeping pad-for me the Z-rest which folds easily has worked best. Other comments have mentioned that rain can be a problem because of the mesh. I have find this to be an issue also. I use a trash bag for my clothes and sleeping bag and this has worked well in some very heavy downpours on the trail. If you chose this pack make sure you are into lightweight backpacking and remember to baby it-it want stand up to much abuse-all in all I like the pack it carries well and is light weight. Also Look at the Granite Gear Vapor trail it is heavier than the Equinox Katadin but is well constructed and can handle some abuse.
Hillbilly