PDA

View Full Version : DWR and Under Armor

mts4602
03-19-2007, 14:23
I have a Mountain Hardware jacket with DWR shells. I want to clean it but I'm not sure how to do it properly. The info that came with the jacket says to get some DWR spray to use on it. I'm not really sure what to get or when you put it on, before or after cleaning. I just don't want to screw up an expensive jacket. Anybody have products with DWR?

Also, I had a question about using Under Armor on the trial. I have a longsleeve cold gear that I use for running and snowboarding. Can I use it as a base layer in cold weather on the trial? Is this crazy or would it basically be the same as other products?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

rswanson
03-19-2007, 14:49
The Under Armor stuff makes a great baselayer. I haven't used Cold Gear but I've got friends who have and like it. I use the Heat Gear compression shorts for warm weather and really like them. Most synthetic garments function similarly. The UA stuff is better made than most.

Baum Trigger
03-19-2007, 14:55
I have a Mountain Hardware jacket with DWR shells. I want to clean it but I'm not sure how to do it properly. The info that came with the jacket says to get some DWR spray to use on it. I'm not really sure what to get or when you put it on, before or after cleaning. I just don't want to screw up an expensive jacket. Anybody have products with DWR?

Also, I had a question about using Under Armor on the trial. I have a longsleeve cold gear that I use for running and snowboarding. Can I use it as a base layer in cold weather on the trial? Is this crazy or would it basically be the same as other products?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

I once had a mountain harwear jacket that had a DWR finish, then it fell apart :eek:. A bottle of DWR spray will give you directions on what you need to do to replace it effectively. If the Jacket isnt very old, sometimes you can simply put the jacket in the dryer to rework the DWR (something about the heat can cause the DWR to fix itself) . You can google "Replacing DWR finish" or some variation of that to get a low down on this option. Other than that, dont worry about ruining the DWR. As long as you follow the direction it would be hard to screw the jacket up. Good luck to you!

Baum Trigger
03-19-2007, 14:58
Forgot to mention that you can get a bottle of DWR spray at any outfitter. You may also be able to find it at a Bass pro shop, gander mountain store, etc. Can't remember if you can find them at a regular retail store, but you may get lucky.

Weldman
03-20-2007, 21:08
I use a Nike Dri-fit shirt then a Under Armor cold gear long sleeve over it with a L.L. Bean(DWR) Anorak , keeps me warm in cold weather.

mts4602
03-21-2007, 19:33
Thanks for the help.

mythicyeti
03-29-2007, 00:39
Here is a quick guide to DWR upkeep.

- Don't be afraid to wash your jacket. Always use a product like Grangers tech wash or a low residue powdered soap. Never use liquid detergents, and give it an extra rinse if you can.

- Dry the jacket on medium to high heat. This reactivates the existing DWR.

- If after you've washed and dried the jacket water doesn't beed up then apply a spray on DWR (I like Grangers) for most jackets or a wash in if the jacket has a pu coating like Gore Pac-lite or Precip technology.

I have had a shell that has been washed and dried at least 12 times and the DWR still works as well as the day I bought it except on the inside of the cuffs.

Cheers.

Grinder
03-29-2007, 09:26
The motorcycle guys swear by NICWAX for their $800 Aerostitch riding suits.

The recommended treatment includes a detergent and waterproof renewal products.

Here's a googe search on the product(s)
http://www.google.com/search?q=nicwax&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Slosteppin
03-30-2007, 20:42
I wore Under Armour under REI Mistral pants (light weight Scholler Dryskin fabric) all of December, January and February for hiking, skiing and snowshoeing in northern lower Michigan. Temperatures were often about 10 F. My legs were never cold this winter. I have not weighed them.

Slosteppin