PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Only Shelter In Feb/march???

Whitefish
03-19-2007, 15:16
I will be hitting the trail 2/20/08 with two friends. We want to hit it early to beat the "running of the bulls" - Hearing about the fall out rate by the time we reach Virginia most of the hikers will have dropped off. I plan on using a tarp when the days are warmer and if a cold spell comes in plan on sleeping in the shelters. I have no intention of sleeping in the shelters period unless flat out freezing/torrential downpours. Anyone out there try this technique and had success/failure? Thanks all.

rswanson
03-19-2007, 15:32
I don't think you'll find shelters any warmer than tarping. They might come in handy for blocking some wind but creative pitching of a tarp can accomplish the same thing. As for success/failure, if you know how to pitch a tarp and select a site properly you should have no problems.

As an aside, if you stay in front of the pack you should have the shelters mostly to yourself anyway, at least during the weekdays.

GlazeDog
03-19-2007, 18:04
Several times I pitched my tarp across the doorway of a shelter to create a forth wall. All freezing hikers loved it! And then it doubles as a stand alone shelter too. WOW!

GlazeDog

bigcranky
03-19-2007, 20:42
That's what I do -- carry a tarp, and use shelters if the weather totally sux. Cowboy camping is fun in February and March if you think the weather is stable -- great clear skies at night. (OK, so I set up my tarp just is case....) I use a homemade breathable bivy to add warmth and wind protection to my bag (and keep the skeeters and mice off in a shelter).

hopefulhiker
03-19-2007, 20:47
The thing that bothers me about just tarps is the lack of bug protection.. I know in the winter it is no big deal but what do yawl do in the summer?

Doctari
03-19-2007, 21:34
I have found that my tarp CAN be warmer than a shelter. Some (Blue Mt) Are super windy. When I was there, the wind came from a westerly direction, the shelter faced NNW, on a windy or even breezy day, it can be a bit drafty. and this is just my opinion, humble tho it may be, that its easier to re-orient a sub 2 Lb tarp than a several thousand LB shelter :p

My point is, a shelter blocks the wind, IF it's orientd right, It dosn't block much better than a properly oriented tarp will.

As to bugs, assuming you aint going to the dark side (Becoming a hammock hanger) a bit of bug netting turned the trick for me "back in the day". Come to think of it, I'm still using a tarp, I just don't sleep on the ground under it. For me, orientation is still critical.

Somewhere here on WB is a very good article on different was to hang your tarp.

Doctari.

grysmn
03-23-2007, 00:49
I've used a tarp on the rail in Feburary. Plenty of trees. The Tarp when properly located is warmer than a shelter. The Shelter locations are maximised for Hot summer nights, meaning that most shelters have drafts and are located in "Cold Spots". With a tarp you can often find a spot out of the wind. Shelters sort of suck., the mice run over you and try to steal your food or piss on it, people arrive at all hours and shine their lights in your face and you are supposed to be extremely happy to see them and listen about their great night hike, people tend to have meaningful chats at all hours. The value of getting a good night's sleep is underratted among hikers. The plus side of shelters is there are time's when you get a good group together, with a tarp when thing's suck you have an option. Oh I started out with a tarp last year, finished with a hammock. Hammocks rock!:banana

Heater
03-23-2007, 01:54
The thing that bothers me about just tarps is the lack of bug protection.. I know in the winter it is no big deal but what do yawl do in the summer?

I have looked into this and H.S. Tarptent Contrail (sewn in floor) is about as close to a barebones Tarp/bugnet system as you can get and the weight is similar unless you are a serious gram weenie. Then the convieniance factor comes into play. I just cannot see a better overall system than the Contrail.

I am going with the Contrail.

rafe
03-23-2007, 07:05
I am going with the Contrail.

I'd love to hear reviews of the Contrail from real users. I went with the Rainbow instead, because of concerns witht the Contrail's shape (being similar to another tent I tried that didn't work out.)