PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Repair

K-dog
03-19-2007, 15:46
Hi, all.

I've been reading the Whiteblaze forum for some time and I've finally got something that I'd like to post.

I managed to tear two small slits in my down bag. They're each between 1/4 and 1/2" long and about 1/16" wide, and they're 2" apart from each other.

My question: Can anyone here give a recommendation for a neat-looking repair job? I know there are glues and tapes, but I want to make sure and do as professional a repair job as I can. If that in fact involves glue or tape, then so be it. That said, I don't want to just slap a hunk of tape on the holes - because I value my bag and I don't want to "junk it up." But if there's a neat way to do it, I'll do it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin

rswanson
03-19-2007, 16:08
What kind of bag is it and what's the shell made of?

If you don't want to futz with it yourself, Rainy Pass Repair (http://www.rainypass.com/index.htm) in Seatlle will do it professionally.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2007, 20:28
You could use an iron-on patch, even put it on the inside. They sell them at fabric stores. Just make sure that the fabric can handle the heat. If you apply it correctly, it will outlast the item you repaired.

K-dog
03-19-2007, 21:39
What kind of bag is it and what's the shell made of?

If you don't want to futz with it yourself, Rainy Pass Repair (http://www.rainypass.com/index.htm) in Seatlle will do it professionally.

It's a goose down REI bag. It's a few years old but in excellent condition. The shell and lining are 100% nylon.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I'd rather do my own repair. I don't want to spend on shipping.

Thanks.

K-dog
03-19-2007, 21:42
You could use an iron-on patch, even put it on the inside. They sell them at fabric stores. Just make sure that the fabric can handle the heat. If you apply it correctly, it will outlast the item you repaired.

I would use an iron-on patch, but I want a very small patch (like, hardly noticeable) and I don't think I can get away with that using an iron-on.

Anyhoo, I appreciate the replies, folks. Thanks much.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2007, 22:00
Put the patch on the inside.

You could also put a small piece of fabric inside to reinforce it and sew the tear with matching thread.

Also, McNett makes "Tenacious Clean Tape" for repairs. It's clear. If you can't find it locally, you can find it online.

K-dog
03-19-2007, 22:16
Put the patch on the inside.

You could also put a small piece of fabric inside to reinforce it and sew the tear with matching thread.

AT, to put it on the inside I'd have to cut the holes open a bit, wouldn't I?

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2007, 22:29
Not if you rolled or folded the patch before sliding it through the tear. I have done that several times. I think your nylon would melt, though.

If you take torn jeans to the cleaners be repaired, they put a patch and then sew around the circumference and then randomly all over it. Ugly but strong.

The big problem is that the holes are so close together, you now have a weak area.

I guess the tears are like that first bad scuff on a pair of new shoes or the first scratch on a pair of new glasses or on a watch, or a scratch on a new car: you knew it was inevitable, but you hate it just the same. A sleeping bag is utilitarian, so these injuries are inevitable. At least you won't look like a a newbie with $2,000 with of brand new gear that hasn't even gotten dirty.

shoe
03-19-2007, 22:42
take it back to REI and get a new one. They have a great return policy.

Last year I tore a small tear on my Sub kilo and didn't have duct tape or anything so I stuck a piece of thin moleskin on it and it has worked beautifully even if it doesn't look beautiful