PDA

View Full Version : Will this sleeping bag be to small for me?

Rhino-lfl
03-19-2007, 15:51
I'm 6'4" 290lbs and I haven't seen one in person, only online. I was wondering if it was a good bag, and more importantly, if I would fit in it. Thanks

Product Description
U.S. Mil.-style ECWS 3-in-1 Sleeping System is super WARM. 3 comfy layers! Patterned after the famous U.S. Mil. ECWS (Extreme Cold Weather System). Use each alone or snap 'em together. 1. Outer Shell Bivy Bag: Waterproof, taped and breathable material; Fully encloses your body with Velcro closure at top; Hooded Woodland camo. 2. Patrol Sleeping Bag: 1 1/2 lbs. polyester fiber; 210T rip-stop fabric with a water-resistant coating; Large nylon zipper and baffle; Drawstring-close hood; Measures 81 x 34 x 24"; Comfort rated 30-50°F; Olive Drab. 3. Intermediate Sleeping Bag: Can be used with one or both of the other Bags; Drawstring hood; 2 1/2 lbs. of polyester fiberfill; Collar baffle; Super tough 210T rip-stop fabric; Measures 79 x 31 x 20"; Black. All 3 Bags together earn a -10 degrees F comfort rating. Included compression sack secures all 3 Bags.

saimyoji
03-19-2007, 16:00
link??????

rswanson
03-19-2007, 16:14
At 79", sounds like it will be too short for you at 6'4". I'm betting it will be too tight for you at your weight as well. Looks really heavy as well with just the two bags weighing 4 lbs. With the outer bivy I bet its close to 6 lbs. and very bulky. Most military gear isn't designed to be carried too far from a Humvee, at least not comfortably. If this is for backpacking I'd concentrate on more traditional sleeping bags.

Toolshed
03-19-2007, 16:41
at 290 lbs, unless you have a big ass and tiny chest/arms, in a 31" (62" circum) bag you won't have enough space to bend your arms to zip it up.
You really need either This (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174364&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) or This (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB452) both are extra-wide. I have each and they are wonderful!!

buckowens
03-19-2007, 17:58
I have the bag issued to me, and it is in my barn right now, but have never actually used it. I know, let the aviator jokes begin...

I will be happy to do whatever you need in the way of measurements or weighing. Some of the other military guys on here may have used them.

bigben
03-19-2007, 22:44
Check out a Golite Doze 20 in Wide/Long. I'm 6'3" 285lbs and wear a 52" jacket. Of the 20 or so bags I crawled into last year when I was looking, it was the only one that I could roll over in from back to stomach without the bag rolling with me. It WILL fit you and you'll love it. It's 3# 3oz, 650 down with water-resistant DWR ripstop nylon shell, and about $200. Money well spent IMO.

Bigben

Rhino-lfl
03-20-2007, 09:40
Hmm, that is what I thought. It's a military surplus bag, so once size fits all lol. However, I like the bag in a bag idea so I have something for year round use. The surplus bag is only $100 and I really didn't want to get into spending the money on 2 bags fall/spring and summer.

Rhino-lfl
03-20-2007, 09:40
I have the bag issued to me, and it is in my barn right now, but have never actually used it. I know, let the aviator jokes begin...

I will be happy to do whatever you need in the way of measurements or weighing. Some of the other military guys on here may have used them.

It looks like it won't fit afterall ... damn my hugeness! Do most of you guys have cooler and warmer weather bags, or just one cold weather bag?

Earl Grey
03-20-2007, 09:43
Yes warmer and cooler bags for the different times of the season. To me a sleeping bag is one of the things to spend good money on. It will protect you and could possibly save your life. Not to mention it gives you comfort at the end of the day.

rswanson
03-20-2007, 10:07
It looks like it won't fit afterall ... damn my hugeness! Do most of you guys have cooler and warmer weather bags, or just one cold weather bag?
For a little over $100, you can get a decent 20 degree down bag. Chances are, you'll spend more on your bag than any other piece of gear. I'd use 20 degrees as a target because its a great baseline. If the bag has a full zip, you can use it in warmer weather just fine, partially unzipped or as a quilt. In lower temps, you can use high loft insulating clothing (like down or synthetic filled jackets) and thicker base layers to extend the range of the bag.

Rhino-lfl
03-20-2007, 12:51
For a little over $100, you can get a decent 20 degree down bag. Chances are, you'll spend more on your bag than any other piece of gear. I'd use 20 degrees as a target because its a great baseline. If the bag has a full zip, you can use it in warmer weather just fine, partially unzipped or as a quilt. In lower temps, you can use high loft insulating clothing (like down or synthetic filled jackets) and thicker base layers to extend the range of the bag.

I like the sound of this. I plan of getting a North American Hammock from Clarks and they tell me if I pad the pockets and maybe just use some type of closed cell pad for the base and a mummy bag I'll be fine to 0 or so. My thoughts are to buy the hammock and a wally world pad, then get a 20 bag and supplement with a fleece blanked or additional layers as needed.

I'm planning for 0 to 100 degrees but will realistically be doing 50-80 degrees.

Rhino-lfl
03-20-2007, 13:32
What about this for a pad
(http://moontrail.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html (http://moontrail.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html)) the 9DLX to toss under my hammock and sleep on with a good sack?