PDA

View Full Version : Chafing....that sticky snappy ouch

Trailers
03-19-2007, 16:54
Im not really a seasoned walker and havent perfected the art of preventing the chafe. im walking the AT next year but im doing a 1000 mile sweaty jaunt through france and spain this summer.

what are the ultimate methods of anti chafe?

Bravo
03-19-2007, 17:48
Spandex. Shorts or pants. If you don't like the look where em as underwear with a lightweight nylon overshort.

Tipper
03-19-2007, 18:15
Kilt, regimental-style. I wore one last year with NO chafe. My only chafe came from spandex shorts worn for 3 days in extremely wet weather.

Toolshed
03-19-2007, 18:26
Don't recall what else you can get it in the UK, I prefer diaper cream for the after burn (A+D or Desitin over here). Takes care of the pain. You can get Nappy Rash or Bubb's and I beleive A+D (I beleive the A+D has Zinc oxide and perhaps cod oil in it) at most apothecaries in the UK.

Product called Body Glide - preventative, but I checked cotswaldsoutdoor and they have nothing. The cragrat shops in Keswick are too far from you. You might try REI.com and see if they will ship bodyglide to the UK. Best preventative product (besides spandex shorts) I have used.
Cheers.
"Shed

Smile
03-19-2007, 19:26
Body Glide + Kilt = Comfy

hopefulhiker
03-19-2007, 21:08
Risk has a book called "My Wildly Sucessful 200 mile Hike" He has a whole chapter devoted to this with six subsections.. He recommends a loin cloth with no underwear.

I just used underarmour as underwear with nylon shorts on top. Also used Gold Bond powder.

whitefoot_hp
03-19-2007, 22:27
yellow body of gold bond. its a lovely tingle.

whitefoot_hp
03-19-2007, 22:28
i will add that it works as good at prevention as it does treatment. does both well.