PDA

View Full Version : Distances in Shenandoah

Wombat
08-18-2003, 22:44
Could anyone advise what the 'average' distance one can cover in a day through Shendandoah is. I am talking about the stop and smell the flowers type hike not breaking records.

celt
08-18-2003, 22:54
If your only goals are to take your time and to smell the flowers you should be able to average any amount of miles you'd like to in SNP. The grades are easy, the climbs short and the path is well maintained. Many thru hikers walk 20 miles a day without complaint.

Kerosene
08-19-2003, 06:38
My brother and I did SNP as a southbound section hike when we were in our 20's. We averaged almost 14 miles a day without much effort, although we didn't take the time to explore the many lovely side trails. We might have done more mileage on some days, but we went in the Fall and the daylight hours tended to limit our mileage more than the terrain.

Peaks
08-20-2003, 15:14
How much time you spend in Shenandoah Park depends on your goals and objectives.

Certainly, if your goal is to get from Rockfish Gap to Linden, then it's totally possible to do consistent 20 plus mile days. But, if you want to take in the sights and such, then slow down and allow time accordingly.

The best parts of this park are off the ridge where the AT runs. Myself, I'd plan on a number of side hikes into the valleys and canyons on either side where the old homesteads are, where the waterfalls are, and other peaks such as Old Rag.