PDA

View Full Version : Timing for Shenandoah

Wombat
08-18-2003, 22:45
Is it better early or late September to hike Shenandoah or is is pretty much the same?

Kerosene
08-19-2003, 06:43
You have a better chance of catching Fall colors in late September, although that might still be a touch early for all but the highest sections. The temperatures should be a little more moderate later in the month also, which will tend to damp down the mosquito population. As mentioned in another reply, daylight starts to become scarce the later you hike (check out the Averages & Records section of www.weather.com for Waynesboro, VA).

Lilred
08-20-2003, 23:29
Grace,
Fall color tends to peak around the middle of October. How much time do you plan on taking? If it's color you want to see, try to shoot for the later Sept., early Oct.,

If you've never seen fall color at its peak, it's something to behold. I'm still blown away by it every year.

Wombat
08-21-2003, 02:18
Thank Kerosene and Lilredmg. Sound like late Sept is the go. From responses I guess it might take me 8 - 10 days at least to do Shenandoah. No never have seen fall colours. We do not have deciduous native trees over here. This is why I am coming all the way over there in the Fall.

squirrel bait
08-21-2003, 11:18
Hopefully all goes as planned I will be in the SNP during that time. I will be hiking north to south and blue blazing some of the time. I considered the Big Blue but have opted for SNP. I'll keep an eye and ear out for ya. Good luck, all these people have given great advice on the SNP. By the way, I have only been to Perth but a beautiful country.

Wombat
08-21-2003, 21:31
Thanks Squirrel Bait but I won't be there until 2004. I am the eternal planner and have a hefty exercise regime planned so I can actually do this. Getting a better idea as to the weight I need to carry around. By the way you guys are giving me wonderful advice.