PDA

View Full Version : SOBO June 1

hikerchris
03-20-2007, 13:55
I am SOBO June 1, Baxter State Park officials willing. Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?

Penne
03-20-2007, 14:04
I'm planning on arriving June 1st. Then I'll be climbing Mnt. Katahdin on June 2 and the next day I'll be going southbound. I only sent in my BSP reservations yesterday, so hopefully that works out.

warraghiyagey
03-20-2007, 19:41
I am SOBO June 1, Baxter State Park officials willing. Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?

Hey Chris,

I'll be Hiking Katahdin on the 1st and heading out of BSP the second. There are at least a coulple others I know of hiking out that weekend. You can search some of the threads to find out who they are. Also check out Class of 2007.
PM me if you'd like to talk. I hiked Katahdin to Dalton Mass last year and learned alot (like say for instance that I HAD to come back).
Peace:) :)
Warraghiagey

TJ aka Teej
03-20-2007, 19:47
Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?
The first Friday in June should see lots of MEGAs in the Park. Over the last several years there's usually been about 80 southbound hikers out of Katahdin Stream Campground by mid-June.

Have fun!

hikerchris
03-21-2007, 09:16
Awesome, I look forward to meeting everyone. I believe I'll be there on the 31st and tackling Katahdin on the 1st, then heading south on the 2nd. My knees hurt already, woo hoo!

Brother in Arms
03-21-2007, 20:33
I plan on hiking Katahdin on the first and heading on out the second if I am still alive...

Looking forward to meeting you all, I will be the dorky looking guy with the glasses....LOL

Brother in Arms

kyhipo
03-22-2007, 08:07
I am SOBO June 1, Baxter State Park officials willing. Any other peeps planning on a June 1 beginning?I am really considering a southbound hike also or flip flopping,I have not done a serious hike in 2yrs and it has been killen me,got the gear got the dough but need the time,hopefully be out their as well,ky

Penne
03-31-2007, 13:53
I got my confirmed reservations from BSP in the mail today. I was surprised I got them so soon, their website made it sound like they took ages to process reservations. It feels like the hike is getting close now.

Joshrm78
03-31-2007, 15:15
My tenative start date is June 1st also hope to see you all there.

hammock engineer
04-01-2007, 12:49
I'll be out there headed south around that time. See you guys out there.

warraghiyagey
04-01-2007, 16:05
I'll be out there headed south around that time. See you guys out there.

By my count that's six WB SOBOs that should be at Katahdin Stream on the first.:) Is June 1st tomorrow yet?:sun

hammock engineer
04-02-2007, 00:20
By my count that's six WB SOBOs that should be at Katahdin Stream on the first. Is June 1st tomorrow yet?

That's cool. I was worried about being alone. Wonder what the other half goes through with 40+ people from WB alone planning on starting on a given weekend.:-? I am trying to convince my buddy to start with me and do the 100 mile wilderness, so there might be one more for 10 days.

ferryman
04-02-2007, 00:50
Starting your hike at Katahdin and then heading into the 100 mile wilderness is going to be trying at times and strenuous at best. As well as the excellent advice available here on Whiteblaze and journals from previous southbounders, there are going to be obstacles along the way that you may not be able to prepare for...fords, bogs, bugs, food weight, blowdowns and post hole digging, especially at Whitecap Mtn. Be sure to take advantage of the long daylight hours by starting early, taking breaks and arriving at your campsite before darkness. Also explain to folks back home that it takes alot of days (8-12+) to get through to Monson and not to be alarmed because you may be stuck up to your waist in a bog "somewhere" in the wilderness. Team up with fellow hikers for companionship and humor to lighten your physical and mental load. Best of Luck, Steve the ferryman ps. The Kennebec Ferry runs 9-11am starting on FRIDAY THE 13TH of May. See you at the river!

warraghiyagey
04-02-2007, 01:15
That's cool. I was worried about being alone. Wonder what the other half goes through with 40+ people from WB alone planning on starting on a given weekend.:-? I am trying to convince my buddy to start with me and do the 100 mile wilderness, so there might be one more for 10 days.

I see Steve from Caratunk is up late. Or early.
H.E. - I think you will find the exact opposite of loneliness on the trail. And around the end of June starts the slow trickle of NOBOs that turns into quite a glut at shelters for about a month before slowing again.
I like your 10 day estimate for the 100 mile - it's much more realistic than many make - who learn that it's OK to take the trail's lead when setting their pace.
See you at Katahdin Stream:) :)
Peace
Warraghiyagey
SOBO7

ryan207
04-05-2007, 19:40
Also arriving June 1st, hiking katahdin june 2nd and hiking out on june 3rd.

warraghiyagey
04-06-2007, 06:34
Also arriving June 1st, hiking katahdin june 2nd and hiking out on june 3rd.

So have you decided on any weekend hikes before then? By the way you were one of the six WB SOBOs I counted for June 1st.
Check you PMs. I sent you one a couple weeks ago. . . I think.
Peace

jkashley1234
04-10-2007, 01:06
I'll be there on the 30th at KSC and hiking on the 1st as well. See you all there....Later..

Phreak
04-10-2007, 09:14
I'm moving my start date up from August 4th to around the 12th or 19th of June. Hope to see some of the SOBOs from here on the trail.

Good luck to everyone!

hikerchris
04-13-2007, 13:30
For those June 1 peeps out there, 49 days to go:) . Somehow, that seems so much better than 50.

warraghiyagey
04-14-2007, 07:17
For those June 1 peeps out there, 49 days to go. Somehow, that seems so much better than 50.

. . .48, 47, 46. . . I don't think I can wait much longer.:( :) :) :)

ryan207
04-14-2007, 18:17
same plans here. see you on the trail!

Gypsy"04"
04-19-2007, 00:53
Any of you SOBO's from Maine up for some tune-up hikes as soon as the snow is gone. I was going to hike the Smokies and in to trail days, but I'm thinking now of kicking off from Katahdin instead. I live in Oxford and want to get up in the woods as soon as the weather starts to cooperate.

warraghiyagey
04-19-2007, 01:16
Any of you SOBO's from Maine up for some tune-up hikes as soon as the snow is gone. I was going to hike the Smokies and in to trail days, but I'm thinking now of kicking off from Katahdin instead. I live in Oxford and want to get up in the woods as soon as the weather starts to cooperate.

Well, I'm not from Maine but will the NH/MA border do? How about the Prezzies or some such? PM me.:)

Just a Hiker
05-14-2007, 22:48
Hey Hikerchris. Thanks for signing my guestbook. I'll see you all in early June. If anyone needs help or gear or even money, let me know. Take care all!

Just Jim

Brother in Arms
05-23-2007, 10:30
Snow on Katahdin right now....may still be closed by june 1st/2nd but I hope not....I'll keep my fingers crossed. I got reservations for june 2nd at katahdin stream see you all there.

Brother in Arms