PDA

View Full Version : St. Paddy's Day @ Standing Bear

MrHappy
03-20-2007, 15:37
I've been here since friday the 16th. Several hikers have been through since then:

March 16th: Catepillar, TMack,
March 17th: Mice, Tito, Diablo, Ansil, Snake Bite
March 18th: Castanets, Moonwalker, Rock Hound
March 19th: L-Train, Sardines, Noodles, Just Rick, Grey Wolf, Ice Man, Rock Hound (still here).

I'm hoping to yellow blaze to Hot Springs tomorrow, and L-train may join me. I'm trying to keep moving North until my leg is better and I can continue walking.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2007, 16:21
And skip Max Patch, one of the prettiest mountains in the South?? :eek:

Personally, I'd take an extra day's rest at Standing Bear, get your leg right, and then take your time hiking to Hot Springs, it's an easy section.

When you start skipping sections to make it easier on yourself, or to keep up with friends, you're on the path to going home. You can't base your trip on what other people are doing. And when you start skipping beautiful sections, then what's the point? Hot Springs will be there when you get there, and anyway, you're out there for the Trail, not the towns......

But like so many things, to each their own.

Chaco Taco
03-20-2007, 17:42
I've been here since friday the 16th. Several hikers have been through since then:

March 16th: Catepillar, TMack,
March 17th: Mice, Tito, Diablo, Ansil, Snake Bite
March 18th: Castanets, Moonwalker, Rock Hound
March 19th: L-Train, Sardines, Noodles, Just Rick, Grey Wolf, Ice Man, Rock Hound (still here).

I'm hoping to yellow blaze to Hot Springs tomorrow, and L-train may join me. I'm trying to keep moving North until my leg is better and I can continue walking.

Hey man its Chaco. I was the one with Curtis when you got picked up in G'burg. How are you feeling? Thanks for leaving me and Hike out of your list.:D Let me know how you are doing. Been thinking about you guys since I have been back in the real world. Take care and good luck

MrHappy
03-22-2007, 13:29
Sorry Chaco, my memory was rough.

Also, I screwed up the end of the list. On March 19th we had Queit Paul, and nobody else. All the people I listed on the 19th were actually there on the 20th.

I was on the path to going home. Badly. Just getting out and going somewhere else has remotivated me, at least for the time being. I will keep that advice in mind in the future though Jack.

snowhoe
03-22-2007, 14:39
Jack is right you dont want to miss Max Patch it so cool looking south and seeing the Smokies. I couldnt believe that I waled thru all that.

Chaco Taco
03-22-2007, 17:08
Sorry Chaco, my memory was rough.

Also, I screwed up the end of the list. On March 19th we had Queit Paul, and nobody else. All the people I listed on the 19th were actually there on the 20th.

I was on the path to going home. Badly. Just getting out and going somewhere else has remotivated me, at least for the time being. I will keep that advice in mind in the future though Jack.

Im just giving you a hard time. Must have gone a ride with Curtis. His driving can lead to head trauma. Just kiddin Curtis. Anyway, good luck on the hike. Thanks for the Kerouac recommendation. I picked up a copy Sunday. Take care Mr Happy. We are pullin for ya buddy. Stay positive!
Colonel Chaco

Wonder
03-23-2007, 12:02
It's really hard to leave Standing Bear Farm. I spent Easter there last year! Please tell Curtis that I said hi, and I'm still up for making my tasty onions and burgers this year!