PDA

View Full Version : Where to start in Vermont or Massachusets?

Ernst-Josef
03-20-2007, 19:35
Dear All,

I am German and walked some years ago for 4 days along the AT in the
Shenandoa region, it was wonderful. This year I will have the opportunity
to come to Boston and I want to walk another 4, 5 days mid September
along the trail. I found in the internet that some starting points are quite
well accessible by bus from Boston, like Norwich/Hanover or Bennington in
Vermont or Williamstown in Massachusets. From one of these points I would
intend to walk direction south.

Can you give me a hint what starting point to prefer for the beauty of the
trail, or even a forth starting point with easy access from Boston? Or
where to get such an information? It is clear to me, that for different
people different areas are beautiful, so it is what most would prefer.

Thank you very much in advance for a hint and sincerely Ernst-Josef

hopefulhiker
03-20-2007, 19:37
Look into going to Dalton Mass....

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2007, 19:45
With that time frame in mind, I'd get to Rutland VT (check out Vermont Transit Bus Lines on the Internet; the town is also served by AmtraK).

Then from Rutland, I'd take the shuttle bus out to the A.T. crossing at the Inn at Long Trail at Sherburne Pass, near Killington. And then I'd hike South to Rt 9, near Bennington. (Bennington's an easy hitch from the Trail and then you can get back to wherever you need to go).

By doing this, you'll see most of the best parts of the A.T. Vermont, including Killington Peak, Clarendon Gorge, Baker Peak, Stratton Pond and Mountain, and Glastenbury Mt.

This is about 90 miles, meaning you'd probably need more than 4-5 days. For a shorter trip, I'd hike south from Manchester Center to Rt 2, where you could then get a bus in nearby Williamstown.

TJ aka Teej
03-20-2007, 19:55
:welcome: to WhiteBlaze, Ernst-Josef!
For the beauty of the Trail, Jack's suggestion is excellent for mid September.
Bring your camera!

warraghiyagey
03-20-2007, 20:05
Check out Dalton which is just under 2 hours west of Boston. From there you can hike in to southern Vermont and climb the highest Peak in Mass., Mt. Greylock.
If you'd like more of a mountain challenge head to Rutland/Mt. Killington Vermont area.
But if you want to hike just mountains try Gorham NH and hike some of the Presidential range in The Whites Mountains!!
Enjoy your time on The Trail.:) :) :)
Peace

TJ aka Teej
03-20-2007, 23:02
Hi again, Ernst-Josef!
To help with your trip planning:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
It's a link to the on-line edition of the 2007 ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion, which I'm sure will be help to you in planning your hike.

Askus3
03-21-2007, 19:25
Visit http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/. Here is a wealth of info about hiking in the Whites and New England and numerous outings by people looking for partners from the Boston area to go hiking all year long.