PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting sister to hike.

David335
03-21-2007, 09:13
I have an 11 year old sister who loves nature and is very athletic. But now that I am getting more and more into backpacking my sister should start going with me and my father because we have the right gear and things for her. She has a good friend who backpacks but she still refuses to hike/ backpack. Soes any one have any ideas? Because i think once she tries it she will enjoy it though.

Midway Sam
03-21-2007, 09:19
If she wants to go, she'll go. Make it her decision, not yours. Perhaps suggest day hiking to start.

Chances are there is a fear/phobia involved here that she isn't telling you about.

Grinder
03-21-2007, 09:19
you can lead a friend to 'Springer, but you can't make them hike

Tom

saimyoji
03-21-2007, 09:37
Try duct tape. She's 11, can't weigh that much. :D

mudhead
03-21-2007, 09:47
Ask her friend that hikes why.

Trailers
03-21-2007, 09:59
its probably because shes 11.... pretty key age for girls. maybe shes worried her friends would think less of her for going walking in the woods with dirty people, or something along those lines, hard to think what kids that age are thinking

Trailers
03-21-2007, 10:00
oh her friend backpacks... strange

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-21-2007, 10:36
Many 11 yo girls who are athletic and love nature also love hot showers, moisturizer and frilly clothing. Backpacking does not interest them because of the lack of things like running water, flushing toilets and lighted mirrors.

Fiddler
03-21-2007, 10:50
What type of nature does she like best? Birds, plants, animals? Don't offer to take her on a "hike", offer a "nature walk" instead to view and enjoy the kind of nature's attractions she enjoys. Start with maybe just a few hours if she doesn't want to go for an overnight "nature walk". You and dad carry packs but don't ask her to. If you can get her to start walking with you she'll carry a pack when she's ready to. And take time to work up slowly from there.

Gray Blazer
03-21-2007, 10:54
Tell her you saw Leonardo DiCapprio (insert some more age appropriate teen idol's name here) out on the trail the last time you went.

Rain Man
03-21-2007, 15:24
... my sister should start going with me and my father because we have the right gear and things for her....

First, ditch your attitude that she "should" do what you think she should do. That in and of itself could kill the deal. Hint: I have two little sisters.

Second, do you think a father-son outing is inviting to a little sister? Get real. Look at it through her eyes, not yours.

Third, have father invite daughter on a father-daughter outing of her choice, leaving you behind. See if that tickles her fancy.

Fourth, get mom or some other female to inquire about little sister's inclination (or not) to do a guy thing with the males in the family. Proceed from there.

Fifth, perhaps you should offer to go with mother and sister on a weekend trip to visit quilt stores?

Be patient. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Rain:sunMan

David335
03-21-2007, 19:09
Many 11 yo girls who are athletic and love nature also love hot showers, moisturizer and frilly clothing. Backpacking does not interest them because of the lack of things like running water, flushing toilets and lighted mirrors.
the strange thing is she dosn't enjoy those types of things. She is a rough and tumble type fo girl. Her best friend is an avid backpacker who has hiked all of the CT AT mosy of the Mass, NY, and NH At also so she, also
my sister and her friend also go for hikes all the time when they visit each other. :-?Also she dosn't mid going with me and my father on trips. we go skiing together all the time. She has said that she likes our company also

Mammoth
03-21-2007, 19:15
Maybe find something specific that she might like. Such as making and using alcohol stoves, cooking at camp, bird watching, photography, or start out on little trips and invite her backpacking friend with you (parents permitting). Also, you mentioned that you "have the right gear and things for her," does that mean hand-me-downs? Sometimes a cool new backpack or jacket can work wonders.

Good luck!

Penne
03-21-2007, 21:27
I started backpacking at 11. I wasn't an athletic girl--think more along the lines of bookworm. The trip was the family vacation that summer so I had to go, but I wanted to. It probably helped that my mom was into backpacking and told stories about it, and we went on a lot of day hikes. I didn't have a problem with the hand-me-down gear--the pack was older than I was. I did have a friend on the trip so I'm sure that helped. Maybe invite her backpacker friend?

David335
03-22-2007, 08:21
I am currently planning to do a short overnight later this spring/early summer. With her and her friend.
The only hand-me-down gear is my backpack but that could change if she becomes serious about this.

Midway Sam
03-22-2007, 08:31
...have father invite daughter on a father-daughter outing of her choice, leaving you behind...

Bingo. She doesn't wanna spend all her time in your shadow. Let her have some "daddy time" to herself.

RadioFreq
03-22-2007, 09:04
[quote=Fiddler;342678]You and dad carry packs but don't ask her to. If you can get her to start walking with you she'll carry a pack when she's ready to.quote]

I believe that's called "guilt". :D

Rain Man
03-22-2007, 09:40
the strange thing is she dosn't enjoy those types of things. She is a rough and tumble type fo girl. Her best friend is an avid backpacker who has hiked all of the CT AT mosy of the Mass, NY, and NH At also so she, also my sister and her friend also go for hikes all the time when they visit each other. ...

All that you've said so far is like a giant neon billboard, proclaiming that things don't add up. Yet you aren't finding the answer by being "ego-centric,"-- by looking at things only through your own eyes. You've tried that and have failed.

If you want to solve the "problem," -- you see it as a problem, maybe she doesn't,-- then you've got to get out of your shoes and into hers. Most people can't do that. But good faith and humility and empathy and patience go a long way, so perhaps you can.

But drop any attitude (if you have it) of "what's WRONG with my sister and how can I fix her." Just because you can't divine the source of her feelings doesn't mean they are "wrong."

Best to you. I might add, hike your own hike.

Rain:sunMan

gold bond
03-22-2007, 09:45
My wife didn't want to packpack. She listened to all my stories, still no intrest. Planned ,what I thought at the time was the perfct hike for her, and got her to agree to go. Worst time I've ever had on the trail! Had to lure her to the end with candy! Thought we'd never get off that trail alive!! She will camp with the best of them...no matter what the weather. Never been in a camper, loves her tent. Guess what I'm trying to say is don't force it...if she 's not intrested you might do more harm them good. Give her time..she may never want to and thats ok too.

Rhino-lfl
03-22-2007, 10:15
Buy a larger pack, duct tape her up, stuff her it in :) When you get to your starting location, tell her if she ever wants to see home again to follow you. Then gie her an iPod and get going! She'll thank you for it.