PDA

View Full Version : Crystal light on the go

Brother in Arms
03-21-2007, 11:15
I recently tried crystal light on the go and its great stuff! One tube is enough for 20 oz of water and it actaully tastes good. Its sugar free so its light wieght. 10 tubes come in a box and they are less than $3.

I will be packing several of these on the trip.

Brother in Arms

D'Artagnan
03-21-2007, 11:31
I really like those and they help cover up the slight Aqua Mira taste. I also like the Propel powder, too. Same small packaging as Crystal Light. Not nearly as "acidic" tasting.

camich
03-21-2007, 11:44
I recently tried crystal light on the go and its great stuff! One tube is enough for 20 oz of water and it actaully tastes good. Its sugar free so its light wieght. 10 tubes come in a box and they are less than $3.

Brother in Arms

Yep that's good stuff...Walmart has the Great Value brand that is even cheaper and taste the same to me.

saimyoji
03-21-2007, 11:47
Tang is sold in single serving packets that each make about a liter, or two.

rafe
03-21-2007, 12:56
Why "sugar free?" When you're hiking 15+ miles a day, sugar is a good thing.

sarbar
03-21-2007, 13:48
Two benefits:
Weight in pack
Doesn't grow funk in your bottles
;)
Also, Target makes their version, which is very good!

shoe
03-21-2007, 18:15
Oooooooooo I am going to have to go looking for the Tang. I took Tang in a ziploc bag last year and ti kind of turned into this big orange blob. I love Tang :)

Brother in Arms
03-21-2007, 20:29
I love TANG what young lad doesn't.... ;)

the only reason I like the crystal light over tang is its lighter and makes a smaller amount at a time.

I'll look into the individual servings of vitamin T though.

Brother in Arms

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 10:19
I have to agree... the Walmart version is delicious.
I think it is better than the Crystal Light one and it is way cheaper.

Green Bean
03-23-2007, 12:41
I take a few tubes of crystal light when i go out hiking and some tang but the one thing i can not go without is my powered gatorade. It only comes in one flavor around here where i live but i portion it off into bags to mix good in a waterbottle full of water. GREAT STUFF!! ~GB

Wanderingson
03-24-2007, 07:52
Hey folks,

Check this website out. These drink sticks come in a variety of types. The spiced apple cider would be interesting to check out as a mixer.

This is the most I have seen in one single source.

http://www.sturmfoods.com/products.html

Some of these are a wee bit pricey but I'm going to give some of them a whirl.

Brrrb Oregon
07-27-2007, 15:48

If you want real sugar, Country Time Lemonade comes in the 1/2 liter "on the go" packets, too. I use those for my kids when we're camping, because I don't let them have fake sugar.

As posted above, though, you do have to be a bit more careful in cleaning up after real sugar drinks, so that your bottle doesn't grow something.

Toolshed
07-27-2007, 16:48
Yuck!!! It's not sugar!!!!! High Fructose Corn syrup!!!!

budforester
07-27-2007, 17:41
I've come to like the green tea "To Go" packets; I prefer the honey- lemon one, and Lipton also offers more exotic flavors. I haven't found packets with sugar instead of Nutra Sweet, but lemon masks the sweetener and I'll compromise for the convenience. Lacking ice cubes on a hot trek, I find the green tea mixes fairly refreshing in water that is cool. I typically use these with meals on summer daytrips or overnites, so the weight is inconsequential

damush
07-27-2007, 19:31
"4C sugar free Totally Light 2 Go" energy rush drink mixes...single servings, taurine and caffeine, plus it lightly carbonates your water. I've tried citrus and berry (yellow and blue) flavors and they're both good. Mall-Wart carries them.

Swass
09-09-2007, 11:15
I usually avoid the artifical sweeteners, but I recently bought a bunch of the Crystal Light on the Go because they have a green tea flavor with antioxidants, one for hydration, and a pomegranate one for immunity... I'm a sucker for that stuff.

aaroniguana
09-09-2007, 11:23
I've been using the Sturm Foods stuff (morning spark for a caffeine jolt) for about a year now. Walmart carries it in WV but not here in MD. Good stuff and it will cover the taste of any chemical purification. And it's very cheap if you buy it in bulk.

Ridgerunner50
09-09-2007, 17:11
Crystal Light Lemonade + Jack Daniels = whiskeysour nightcap at camp! :D

sarbar
09-09-2007, 17:36
If you haven't tried it.....the Celestial Seasoning Zingers are great. They are similar to the CL tubes, but nothing artificial! Yay! Really nice as well.

ChinMusic
09-09-2007, 17:43
I love Crystal Light Peach Iced Tea. I take it out of the orig packaging and place the powder in a little squirt bottle. Once I load my Gatorade bottle with new water I just squirt in a bit of powder and shake.

Smile
09-09-2007, 21:58
Just watched a very eye opening video called : Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World (http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Misery-Poisoned-Cori-Brackett/dp/B000BQ5IWS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6968799-6117440?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1189389423&sr=8-1). If you want to drink Crystal Light, diet sodas, etc. maybe check this DVD out.

ChinMusic
09-09-2007, 22:21
IMO, those that chose to believe the pseudo science preached by the fear-mongers regarding aspartame, are simply gullible.

The facts are that aspartame is a dipeptide (two amino acids) and its metabolism in our bodies is NOT unlike that of many other forms of sustenance.

fehchet
09-09-2007, 23:43
Yuck, chemicals chemicals! Give me plain water, organic blueberry tea, or organic coffee.

ChinMusic
09-09-2007, 23:50
Yes, heaven forbid anything as "chemical" as a dipeptide.

Sorry, I was an organic chem major....;)

fehchet
09-10-2007, 00:24
So what is dipetide?

fehchet
09-10-2007, 00:25
Sorry, I Googled it. thanks

Just a Hiker
09-10-2007, 00:38
I think those little tubes of koolaide are the best thing since tuna in foil packs. Plus I treat my water with it!! LOL!!! Take care,

Just Jim

Smile
09-10-2007, 08:29
The facts are that aspartame is a dipeptide (two amino acids) and its metabolism in our bodies is NOT unlike that of many other forms of sustenance.

:) Then you would love this video, very technical, chemical, and explains the breakdown in your body. Not a hype vid, just doctors, chemists and neurologists, that sort of thing.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 09:09
I don't know anyone in the medical professions who will go near a product containing aspertame and they certainly don't let their children near such products. I used to have horrible headaches and weakness. I switched to Splenda sweetened products from aspertame sweetened products and they went away. Maybe it is just hype, but my body says otherwise.

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 09:44
Yes, it is just hype. But if you got a placebo affect from a switch, it was worth it to you.

And I AM in the medical profession.....;)

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 09:49

Brother in Arms

There's also Power Edge and Morning Spark in tubes. Great stuff. I recently treated my water with these products while hiking.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 10:07
There's also Power Edge and Morning Spark in tubes. Great stuff. I recently treated my water with these products while hiking.I tried Power Edge, but it gave me a raging headache - guess it contains aspertame? Does anyone make a similar product with sucralose (Splenda)?

sarbar
09-10-2007, 10:46
I tried Power Edge, but it gave me a raging headache - guess it contains aspertame? Does anyone make a similar product with sucralose (Splenda)?

Dino....as I said above, try the Celestial Zingers :bananaThey are sweetened with Stevia!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 10:56
:o My bad - I missed your post, Sarbar.

SoonerTex
09-10-2007, 11:40
IMO, those that chose to believe the pseudo science preached by the fear-mongers regarding aspartame, are simply gullible.

Well call me gullible, because I too started drinking a product with aspartame and felt like crud. Did some research on aspartame and recognized some of the symptoms I had. About a day after I stopped drinking that product, I felt 100% better. I don't know if it is a mental thing or not, but I won't touch the stuff now. My daughter and I like the Country Time lemonade. Doesn't seem to mix real well in cool water, but oh well, the grit is good for the gizzard.

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 12:08
Don't get me wrong, Splenda (sucralose) is a fine product. But, I am SURE that if one does a Google search for "Splenda" "toxicity" one would find "dangers" related to it as well.

In fact, I doubt that there is a popular additive out there where some form of pseudo science hasn't attacked it.

Smile
09-10-2007, 12:40
Stevia is pretty good stuff, super sweet. I wonder what, if any, weight differences are for stuff sweetened with sugar as opposed to artifical sweeteners. Sugar is probably much heavier.

ChinMusic
Check out that DVD and then let us know what you think :)

sarbar
09-10-2007, 13:05
Smile, sugar sweetend is defintely heavier than the artifiical versions. I'll give the natural Stevia sweetened one thing-they are as light as the artificial ones. Stevia can take some getting used to though-as it is very sweet, and too much is too much ;)
The other big differences of course is calories-when backpacking this isn't an issue, but of course the sugar free versions are lighter in the calories.

The only time for me that I cared about sugar/sugar free was back when I used hydration bladders to drink out of. Sugar mixes can bloom quite easily, making a nasty clean up in hot weather.

chiefdaddy
09-10-2007, 13:37
I like to take Emergen-C packets they make a great tangy drink and chaser lol

Smile
09-10-2007, 14:02
Sugar mixes can bloom quite easily, making a nasty clean up in hot weather.

Good point, I had not thought about that! Makes sense though. :)

fehchet
09-10-2007, 14:08
You are all f''''''' All, these drinks are poison.! What are you thinking? Stay away! Enjoy water and tea and stuff.

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 14:47
99% of people who die have had carrots within the last year.

Nightwalker
09-10-2007, 21:49
Yes, it is just hype. But if you got a placebo affect from a switch, it was worth it to you.

And I AM in the medical profession.....;)

So is my neurologist. He said that folks with headaches should stay away from Aspartame. What is your specialty?

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 22:07
I am a dentist.

I seem to get headaches when I consume ice cream. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Again: "99% of people who die have had carrots within the last year."

Any "evidence" of headaches and aspartame is similar in content.

ANYONE can site just science site on the internet. ANYONE can site websites that state we never landed on the moon or the CIA took out the twin towers.

Please review the following be the New England Journal of Medicine.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/317/19/1181?hits=20&where=fulltext&andorexactfulltext=and&searchterm=aspartame&sortspec=Score%2Bdesc%2BPUBDATE_SORTDATE%2Bdesc&excludeflag=TWEEK_element&searchid=1130359189044_7030&FIRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=nejm

I prefer to get my science from reputable sites.

That said, if YOU think aspartame gives you a headache.....don't take it. I tend to avoid ice cream.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 22:46
ChinMusic, if aspartame is so safe:

Why is aspartame banned from all children's products in Europe?
Why did Monsanto get caught trying to bribe Health Canada (equivalent to our FDA) to allow aspartame to be sold there?
Why is there currently a bill before the British Parliament to ban aspartame?
Why are both New Mexico and Oregon attempting to ban it?
Why do scientists who worked at the FDA say they were fired for criticizing the approval of this substance soon after Reagan took office? Donald Rumsfeld (yes, the same one who fail so miserably in Iraq), then CEO of Searle (parent company of Monsanto), was also on Reagan's transition team which helped appoint the new head of the FDA - a man who reversed 16 years of the FDA refusing to allow aspartame to be sold in the US because of all the negative effects found in testing it.

Smile
09-10-2007, 22:55
Uh oh, a dentist.

May I assume that you also think that 'mercury fillings' are a hoax too? Just another case of those in the "medical" professional BSing the public to keep their jobs. I won't even get started on the helpful "floride" treatments that keep peoples teeth brittle (which is probably in your tap water and added to local water supplies in many places around the country.)

Frolicking Dino: If you have silver amalgams and have been told that the "small" amount of mercury is "inert" (a chemical impossibility), PM me - my story could change your health in a big way!

MONSANTO is destroying the environment - they also own SEARLE a very large and profitable Pharmac. company, their chems and crops and GMO's get you sick, and then they will sell you your chemo drugs to be sure to clean out your pockets before you go.

OK, I feel better now.

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 22:59
Politics. Is that so surprising?

Again, junk science can be found ANYWHERE on the internet. The only reputable scientific piece I can find regarding headaches and aspartame is the one published in the NEJM.

What reputable scientific studies do the politicians have to ban it?

I know, I know, big business is quashing all negative studies or killing off the investigators. Maybe Michael Moore should get to the bottom of this.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 23:04
Frolicking Dino: If you have silver amalgams and have been told that the "small" amount of mercury is "inert" (a chemical impossibility), PM me - my story could change your health in a big way!I have a young dentist who will not use the amalgams because of the dangers. She's cool :D

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 23:07
smile - YES, all the studies on amalgam are junk science as well. I have some "ancient" amalgams in my OWN mouth. You cannot find a reputable piece showing one iota of evidence against amalgam. Even if you could, as is common for ANY form of treatment, the quacks would soon shift their attention to the replacement composites (plastics). If you let the quacks win with pseudo science, they will just look for another target.

Do you realize how much work would be needed to replace all the amalgam fillings in the country? The ADA should be SCREAMING to ban amalgam so as to create a MONSTER windfall for the profession.

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 23:11
So we have a neurologist being cited on this board linking causation between aspartame and headaches. We have a dentist being cited linking causation between amalgams and "dangers".

Do ANY of your professionals read? Of do they just say things you want to hear and be "cool"?

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:12
Double post :)

Toolshed
09-10-2007, 23:16
Uh oh, a dentist.

May I assume that you also think that 'mercury fillings' are a hoax too? Just another case of those in the "medical" professional BSing the public to keep their jobs. I won't even get started on the helpful "floride" treatments that keep peoples teeth brittle (which is probably in your tap water and added to local water supplies in many places around the country.)

Frolicking Dino: If you have silver amalgams and have been told that the "small" amount of mercury is "inert" (a chemical impossibility), PM me - my story could change your health in a big way!

MONSANTO is destroying the environment - they also own SEARLE a very large and profitable Pharmac. company, their chems and crops and GMO's get you sick, and then they will sell you your chemo drugs to be sure to clean out your pockets before you go.

OK, I feel better now.
Try again. Searle was owned for a few years by Monsanto. Searle became part of Pharmacia in 2000 and then Pfizer took Pharmacia over around 2003.

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:16
I have a young dentist who will not use the amalgams because of the dangers. She's cool

That is awesome, she must be one of the open minded and well informed dentists that knows the real deal! Have you see the eye opening "smoking tooth" vid at IOAMT site. (http://www.iaomt.org/)? In Europe, they won't cremate people anymore without first removing their old amalgam fillings because the of amount of poisons it puts in the air, can't even imagine how much is released in the US each year, yuck.

Oh well, back on topic. Folks will use what they will in their water. I've said enough :)

ChinMusic
09-10-2007, 23:17
Oh there is def a market for targeting the gullible. It takes more honor to follow the science, where ever that leads, and to tell your patients the truth.

Amalgam IS on its way out, but not due to toxicity. It is on the way out because other materials are superior. The whole amalgam argument will be over once competing materials win over.

THEN, the conspiracists can fixate on a NEW target.....composites......LOL

Toolshed
09-10-2007, 23:48
Every few years, some young fervent hype-beleiving type comes along to tell the world how horrible their choices are.
Remember how bad Butter was for you and Margarine with the transfats fats was the savior?
Remember Eggs were bad for you?
Shellfish was horrible becsause of the high cholesterol levels??
Apples... Alar... Anyone? Devasatation of a crop... Anyone?
Milk and bovine growth hormones....
Bananas and Necrotizing Fascitis.....

Ignore all the do-gooders and alarm pullers. Those radicals that sift through a few websites and deeparately need to beleive something and then try to convince you how wrong you are. .....:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 23:51
ChinMusic - I just read the abstracts for about 50 studies in the British Journal of Medicine. If you want to see plenty of peer reviewed, doulbe blind studies showing the relationship of headaches and seizures to aspartame, go there.

ChinMusic
09-11-2007, 00:10
I find no such articles.

sarbar
09-11-2007, 00:15
So is my neurologist. He said that folks with headaches should stay away from Aspartame. What is your specialty?
So did my Neuro Dr. I have bad migrianes, and avoid ALL artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and preservatives now.

mrc237
09-11-2007, 02:08
I mostly use CL and buy a whole box and empty it into one of these: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13532&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1 I enjoy the fruit punch cuts the shine nicely!

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:51
Other than the Propel stuff, is Gatorade thinking about pushing out single serving packets for the good stuff; fruit punch, orange, & grape? I got a tun of Orange powder but would lke single servings.

Catnip
09-11-2007, 03:14
Here's an idea, using a paper straw to make your own individual packs of powdery things:
http://www.munex.net/kekawaka/straws.html

(I don't think I've posted before, but I read here a lot, just a wishful hiker at the moment.)

warraghiyagey
09-11-2007, 03:16
Here's an idea, using a paper straw to make your own individual packs of powdery things:

(I don't think I've posted before, but I read here a lot, just a wishful hiker at the moment.)

You go Catnip. Welcome to WB and post away.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2007, 06:17

(I don't think I've posted before, but I read here a lot, just a wishful hiker at the moment.)Welcome, and I hope you will keep posting - this is a wonderful idea. You would have to put the straws in a ziplock to keep them dry, but I would think with all the jostling as I frolic down a trail, I'd do that any way to catch anything that decided to escape from the straws.

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 19:53
So did my Neuro Dr. I have bad migrianes, and avoid ALL artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and preservatives now.

Nah, Chin Music said my headaches are imaginary. Or something silly like that. :)

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 20:35
Nah, Chin Music said my headaches are imaginary. Or something silly like that. :)
What I presented was the study published in the NEJM, hardly a source to be poo-pooed.

The study found that taking a sample of individuals, LIKE YOURSELF, that aspartame "caused" no more headaches than a placebo.

Is that too complicated?

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 20:48
What I presented was the study published in the NEJM, hardly a source to be poo-pooed.

The study found that taking a sample of individuals, LIKE YOURSELF, that aspartame "caused" no more headaches than a placebo.

Is that too complicated?

Sorry, I just believe a doctor who specializes in disruptions of the brain in general, and headaches in particular, over a DDS who gets his info from journals. Nothing personal.

Lone Wolf
09-13-2007, 20:50
Sorry, I just believe a doctor who specializes in disruptions of the brain in general, and headaches in particular, over a DDS who gets his info from journals. Nothing personal.

i've been having siezures for over 28 years. no "doctor" with all the tests can tell me why. maybe a dentist could

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 21:03
Again, you are having some difficulty understanding that this is not MY work.

It is a peer-reviewed piece in the NEJM. A link has been posted.

But go ahead, maybe a treatment of "head in the sand" will do wonders....;)

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 21:14
Again, you are having some difficulty understanding that this is not MY work.

It is a peer-reviewed piece in the NEJM. A like has been posted.

But go ahead, maybe a treatment of "head in the sand" will do wonders....;)

Yeah, dude. Uh, you win. I'll eat a pound tomorrow.

He also told me to stay away from caffeine and peanuts. Any opinions on his wrongness on those two?

sarbar
09-13-2007, 21:40
Like Night Walker, I'll trust my Neuro Dr. Three of my major triggers for vertigo migrianes are artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. Until you have Vertigo Migrianes....(and you DON'T want to ever have one!)

I have to read every label of every food item I eat or drink. I used to be a heavy Crystal Light drinker until about a year ago.

I am grateful I have good Dr's who take my migraines seriously. Many Dr's still do not understand how MANY types of them exist!

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 21:40
He also told me to stay away from caffeine and peanuts. Any opinions on his wrongness on those two?
No, and I don't feel like doing the research either. If I don't know something I will freely admit it. But, I'm sure there has been a study somewhere and if it was a peer-reviewed piece in the NEJM I would tend to believe it.

I know that many individuals are allergic to peanuts. My daughter is one of them. It would seem logical that headaches may be one of those reactions.

I know the LACK of caffeine causes headaches in individuals that are "chemically addicted"......like me.

When I go on multi-day trips I take caffeine pills with me to avoid the withdrawal headaches. In the past I would get a headache on day 2 and I couldn't figure out why.

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 21:44
Like Night Walker, I'll trust my Neuro Dr. Three of my major triggers for vertigo migrianes are artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.
I would love to ask your docs what literature/research they are relying on (if aspartame is indeed on their list), or are they just guessing. They have a licence in the field. That piece of paper on the wall gives them the RIGHT to "guess".....;)

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 22:36
I would love to ask your docs what literature/research they are relying on (if aspartame is indeed on their list), or are they just guessing. They have a licence in the field. That piece of paper on the wall gives them the RIGHT to "guess".....;)

Or, heaven forbid, they could be going on EXPERIENCE WITHIN THEIR FIELD.

You really should back down on this one, or just stop. You're starting to look rather silly.

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 22:41
I know the LACK of caffeine causes headaches in individuals that are "chemically addicted"......like me.

Well You've apparently never heard of titration, either. He didn't take me from 2 quarts of coffee to none per day all at once. It took over a month to get me down to nothing.

Please just stop. You're not a neuro. I'm glad that you like to read medical journals, but please just stick to what you know: crowns, root canals, etc. Maybe even a little nitrous now and then, eh?

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 22:43
No, and I don't feel like doing the research either.

Obviously not. And in his 30+ years of practice, my doctor obviously has.

We can do this all night. You can continue to feel superior and continue to look silly for as long as you want. With the hadache that I have today, I'll play as long as you care to. I'm certainly not going to be sleeping!

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 22:48
You really should back down on this one, or just stop. You're starting to look rather silly.
I am the one QUOTING a peer-reviewed piece in the NEJM, and I am the one that is looking silly.......:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for the aspartame-evil crowd to post a link from a reputable source. I am awaiting the enlightenment.

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 22:52
Well You've apparently never heard of titration, either.
Please, state what you based this on.

I said nothing regarding what you posted.

It is common knowledge that one can ween themselves off any chemical addiction. IMO, caffeine addiction has no downside for an otherwise healthy individual. I don't plan on changing. It is much easier for me to take caffeine pill with me on a backpacking trip than it is to go through the effort to avoid caffeine in daily life. That is simply my choice.

Nightwalker
09-13-2007, 22:54
I am the one QUOTING a peer-reviewed piece in the NEJM, and I am the one that is looking silly.......:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for the aspartame-evil crowd to post a link from a reputable source. I am awaiting the enlightenment.

I've changed my mind. I'm not going to try to argue with you and your one-note crap. I'm going to let you have the last word, grin a lot at your future postings, and doubt that I'll ever see you in MY world*.

You do not seem capable of enlightenment, honestly.

P.S. My reputable source is my Neurologist. I asked around with other folks that had severe headaches in the area, and he was the one that was most often able to get rid of them. Now, I have 3-4 bad, long spells with them per year. At one point, it was pretty much non-stop. I can almost live with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------
*I hike year round. It helps with the pain as well. You'll probably never see that one in a journal, either.

ChinMusic
09-13-2007, 22:55
Obviously not. And in his 30+ years of practice, my doctor obviously has.

It seems that what you are saying is that 30+ years in a profession makes you correct, even if the literature does not support you.

THAT is an interesting position.

All I have to do is wait out a few more years and I can ignore the journals too. Thanks for the heads-up.........:rolleyes:

sarbar
09-13-2007, 23:43

Research? Uh, more like FAMILY HISTORY OF HEADACHES. I am having similar headaches to the ones my father had. (and his dad as well)
My migrianes (and I have two distinct types) are triggered by hormone fluctuations, smells, high blood pressure and the Vertigo ones are triggered also by the fake items mentioned before.

I have had 3 MRI's done in a state of the art hospital in the past year. My Neuro Dr. came highly recomended and I researched him well. He specilaizes in migrianes as well.

Lets just say that I try to eat a mostly natural and organic diet, and try to live as well as I can.

Vertigo Migrianes are nothing to ever want. Basically I go through a 4-12 hour period where I suffer full blown vertigo and non stop vomiting. All I can do is lay face down on the floor and pray it will end eventually. I am left weak for a couple days afterwards and have migriane hangover, leaving me unable to drive. I have drugs to take for the vomiting/nasuea but they cannot even stop it.

Due to the life changes (knock on wood!) I can control these headaches. I take my BP pills very carefully, excercise and control my stress. I was pulled off everything they could take me off of. I am allowed to have caffiene in small amounts now (for me it isn't a trigger) but nothing fake. Fake is a trigger.

The alternative is barfing for half a day while feeling like I am on a never ending drunken spin session. No thanks. Fake sugar will never be worth that.

sarbar
09-13-2007, 23:48
*I hike year round. It helps with the pain as well. You'll probably never see that one in a journal, either.

Hey NW! I was told to excercise daily! My Neuro was happy to hear I hiked and backpacked...I tell my hiking partners always about my medical issues and where my meds are...and I just go. Hiking almost always makes me feel better :)

Nightwalker
09-14-2007, 00:01
Hey NW! I was told to exercise daily! My Neuro was happy to hear I hiked and backpacked...I tell my hiking partners always about my medical issues and where my meds are...and I just go. Hiking almost always makes me feel better :)

And always carry an Evazote freezer-bag cozy, like I do, heheh.

ChinMusic
09-14-2007, 00:11
Lets just say that I try to eat a mostly natural and organic diet, and try to live as well as I can.

I used to suffer from migraines as well. Fortunately, I followed the pattern of "out-growing them". I rarely get one now. But, in my 20s they were ALL too common. I feel for ya. Hopefully yours will diminish as you get older as well.

I try to eat well (75% successful) and take care of my body (75% successful). Whether this helps in avoiding headaches or not I have no idea. I just know it can't hurt. Your strategy of de-complicating your diet can't hurt either.

A trigger for me seems to be ice cream (small amounts are OK) or large amounts of refined sugars (candy). Whether these triggers are real, or imaginary, is not known to me.

If I am ever fortunate to have to make the decision to try the "Half-gallon Challenge" at Pine Grove, it will be a tough call. Maybe the caloric-burn rate at that point will be enough to offset the trigger.