PDA

View Full Version : lessons learned without leaving the house

Grinder
03-21-2007, 11:42
I am going on my virgin hike in a month or so.
I have been pouring over the trail Journals and reports here in a typical newbie fashion.

One thing stands out. The people who try to force miles or to stay up with someone else break down

Time and again, I read "Good day today. Most miles I ever hiked!" Followed by "My knee/ foot/ toe/etc. is killing me today" on the next day's entry.

Zero impressed me with his body awareness. Although I doubt I have the ability to sleep in to mid day like he does (Some things are wasted on the young!!!<G>) and worry about doing nothing for a whole day at a shelter, He certainly has the right idea about body conditioning.Stress and then rest.

Thanks to Jessebrent, who said "Don't worry about miles. Just get out there and hike. There are plenty of chances to bail out if you need to."

Left to my own devices, I would be sweating blood and checking the schedule every five minutes.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Fiddler
03-21-2007, 12:23
If you've never hiked before learning to take it easy is all the more important. Don't matter how good a shape you think you're in, when you start walking all day with a load on your back the body starts telling you things. And if you don't listen, sooner or later you'll pay. If you get in a hurry, if you want to make big miles, drive or take a bus.

Footslogger
03-21-2007, 12:29
Tom ...lots of things I could suggest but here's one that helped me when I was getting started (and still does on occasion today)

Take a small notebook and pencil. During the course of your hike write down the things you brought and didn't use and vice versa ...the things you didn't bring and wish you had.

Stow that list in your pack and pull it out as you prepare for your next hike. Little by little you will hone in on what works best for you.

'Slogger

Rain Man
03-21-2007, 15:01
A great adage I read somewhere is that you should start slow, then slow down.

I agree with the post about big miles, followed by pain and problems. They seem to go hand-in-hand.

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

Grampie
03-21-2007, 15:48
Tom,
Some advise from someone who thru-hiked at age 66.
#1 Take your time. Even if you feel fine limit your daily miles during the first week. Six to eight mile days worked for me.
#2 Take a zero day at least once a week for the first month.
#3 Eat often. I found out that I needed to eat something every two hours.
#4 Get in the habit of drinking plenty of water even if you do not feel thirsty.
#5 Enjoy the experience.:)

eric_plano
03-21-2007, 16:35
I have been repeating the 'Start out sow then go slower' mantra in my head these last few weeks. I did the go fast then breakdown thing last time out.

(read: go fast,in my case, simply means 16-17 mile days early on for someone out of shape).

The only other thing I have been not doing is overthinking the hike. I pretty much just put it out of my head when I start feeling crazy with my start date looming :)

Grampie
03-21-2007, 16:44
I have been repeating the 'Start out sow then go slower' mantra in my head these last few weeks. I did the go fast then breakdown thing last time out.

(read: go fast,in my case, simply means 16-17 mile days early on for someone out of shape).

The only other thing I have been not doing is overthinking the hike. I pretty much just put it out of my head when I start feeling crazy with my start date looming :)

Ir's great to be young.