PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a hike with in-laws

pokeyhontas98
03-21-2007, 12:34
I’m taking my in-laws hiking this summer in the Smokies they are in great shape and they have some experience hiking in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular area with great scenic views and decent privies for a 2-day hike.

The Weasel
03-21-2007, 12:41
I’m taking my in-laws hiking this summer in the Smokies they are in great shape and they have some experience hiking in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular area with great scenic views and decent privies for a 2-day hike.

Pokey ---

I see that you're in Indiana (nice to meet another Hoosier!.lived in Michigan City as a kid, went to law school in South Bend). Perhaps the best overall hiking trail, with views, in the Midwest is the "Knobstone Trail" in southern Indiana, sometimes referred to as "the little Appalachian Trail." Google it and you can get a lot of info. It has excellent road access, great views, wonderful scenery. Not sure about privies; stretches I have done did not have them but went through a few picnic areas that did.

Not sure what geographical area you are looking for, which might help narrow suggestions.

The Weasel

The Weasel
03-21-2007, 12:43
Oops, sorry, misread your post: You'll be in the Smokies. OK.

Seriously consider doing part of the stretch from NOC (National Outdoor Center) in Nantahala Gorge to Fontana Dam. You can camp anywhere (unlike the National Park), don't need permits, and the NOC is a VERY neat place (including a hostel, motel rooms, restaurants, kayaking, store). They can help with shuttles, too.

The Weasel

Sly
03-21-2007, 12:51
Hey Pokey,

You may want to consider starting out from the Big Creek campground near Mountain Momas, hiking the Chestnut Branch Trail to the AT, check out Cammerer Fire Tower, continue south to the Cosby Knob Shelter for the night and return to Big Creek via the Low Gap/Big Creek Trails the following morning.

pokeyhontas98
03-21-2007, 12:51
Thank you Weasel, yes I am a Hoosier (live in Bloomington) I have had the pleasure of hiking and camping in the Knobstone several times it is a beautiful area and I plan to take them hiking there. Southern Indiana is a great place for hiking, with all the national forests, and I spend alot of my free time hiking here. I didn't know they called it the little AT, that's pretty nifty. Do you know who came up with that term for it?

pokeyhontas98
03-21-2007, 13:02
Hey Pokey,

You may want to consider starting out from the Big Creek campground near Mountain Momas, hiking the Chestnut Branch Trail to the AT, check out Cammerer Fire Tower, continue south to the Cosby Knob Shelter for the night and return to Big Creek via the Low Gap/Big Creek Trails the following morning.

Sly thanks for the suggestion, I am going to pull out my AT maps and check out the area. I'm happy to get a recommendation from such an experienced hiker:).

pokeyhontas98
03-21-2007, 13:10
Seriously consider doing part of the stretch from NOC (National Outdoor Center) in Nantahala Gorge to Fontana Dam. You can camp anywhere (unlike the National Park), don't need permits, and the NOC is a VERY neat place (including a hostel, motel rooms, restaurants, kayaking, store). They can help with shuttles, too.

The Weasel

Thanks for the tidbit Weasel, I will check the area out (hotels and restaurants might not be a bad idea for the inlaws).

The Weasel
03-21-2007, 13:17
Thanks for the tidbit Weasel, I will check the area out (hotels and restaurants might not be a bad idea for the inlaws).

Pokey ---

Bloomington, huh? Can you forgive me for going to "that school" in South Bend?

I heard the "little AT" nickname a few times on the web about the Knob. I love that trail...tough sucker, in places, just like the AT.

I can't strongly recommend enough basing at the NOC: It was the training center for the US Kayak Team in the Atlanta Olympics, and the Nantahala Gorge is incredible. There is also a steam railroad that travels to the NOC, and several other good tourist sites in the area. NOC has inexpensive hostel rooms (hold 4 I think) as well as 2 nice places to stay, and its "campus" is very cool with really nice people. It can provide a "one stop" experience so you don't have to do a huge amount of work yourself. EXCELLENT outfitter on site, both for water and foot sports.

"Balds" north and south of it are outstanding places to go. If you only have 2 nights, try to make one of them on top of a bald...mountain top, open, vistas for 60 miles - honest! - with incredible sunsets. AND open camping on them. The best there is.

The Weasel

pokeyhontas98
03-21-2007, 13:28
Pokey ---

Bloomington, huh? Can you forgive me for going to "that school" in South Bend?

I can't strongly recommend enough basing at the NOC

The Weasel

I guess I could forgive you:-?. My sister also went to law school but twas IU (no pun intended).
You have convinced me I will have to see it now. I am going to search in to the area and sites online and try to find some pics and info about the area. Thanks for your insight.

ric2hunt
03-21-2007, 16:48
A great hike would be from Standing Bear Farm, http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/, just north of I40 and immediately outside of the northern boundries for the GSMNP, and on to Hot Springs, NC. Hot Springs is a great trail town and the springs would be great after the hike. Shuttles are readily available from both ends and usually you can leave a vehicle at StandingBear and catch a ride back.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-27-2007, 20:27
I won't go into specific trails and iteneraries because I don't know your hiking style or abilities. I'll just tell you a few of some of the sweet spots I find myself going back to over and over again.
In no particular order:

Mt. Sterling (Cataloochee/Big Spring area)
+great views from firetower with camping really close, good sunrise spot
-no water at site

Gregory Bald (Cades Cove)
+beautiful bald with great views of Cades Cove, nice hidden spring close to bald
-site 13 has had a lot of bear problems, was closed the last time I checked, Parson Branch Rd was also closed.

AT from Spence Field to Derrick Knob
+my favorite stretch of AT in the south(in good weather), great views of Fontana Lake
-can be a hard hike to plan without staying in shelters but can be done

High Rocks (Forney Creek area)
+nice view, I never see many people there
-no legal camping real close

Charlie's Bunion(Newfound Gap)
+more beautiful views
- lots of tourists, would be a good short dayhike

Cammerer Fire Tower
mentioned in previous post from Sly

With over 800 miles of trails the options on hikes in the park and to these places are immense.

Egads
03-27-2007, 21:50
PokyH98

Cosby to Henwallow Falls to Maddron Bald to AT to Low Gap Trail back to Cosby is a nice ~21 miler. Trail offers mountain streams, falls, views, virgin forests, flowers, bear sightings, & you are real close to Mt Cammerer for a ~15 mi in & out.

The only negative is it in the GSMNP and some sites are rationed due to the heavy use.

Enjoy

Egads

bfitz
03-28-2007, 00:17
Depends, do you like them?...Or do yo want to make sure they never want to hike with you again?

Marta
03-28-2007, 06:12
Hey Pokey,

I second this suggestion. Big Creek Campground is a nice little tent-only place, which offers you a base-camping option. The bathrooms are amazingly nice. There are some unrationed campsites about five easy miles up Big Creek Trail, if you don't want to or can't get reservations in Cosby Knob shelter. Both Big Creek and Chestnut Branch trails go alongside very nice creeks for quite a ways. Mossy and lovely and very Smoky Mtns. Lots of wildflowers this time of year.

Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower is pretty by itself, and offers incredible views on a clear day. To get there from Big Creek is quite an uphill hike. It's not too steep, but it is all up to get there, and all down on the way back.

Marta/Five-Leaf

pokeyhontas98
04-17-2007, 01:45
Thanks for all the great insight, I am looking forward to the trip.
Bfitz, to answer your question, They are worthy and not your typical inlaws.

pokeyhontas98
07-27-2007, 13:38
Me and my family will be leaving a week from Sunday and heading east towards the Smokies. Unfortunately, the inlaws will not be making the trip with us afterall. I am looking forward to hiking and I thank everyone for their suggestions. I was hoping to stay on the trail a day or so, but my husband booked us a posh place at the legacy mountain resort instead. Thanks again for all the great tidbits.