PDA

View Full Version : Pad for a hammock

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 13:41
So I'm going to order a clarks North American and skip the under quilt stuff for now, but I would like to get a pad, if for anything added comfort. My thoughts are to get two 1/4 pads (and here is where I need your help) that are wide (30"+) and long (as long as I can), and stick them together, then form and cut them to fill out the hammock. From there I want to put them in some kind of bag liner or something so that they are held together and there is some kind of cloth so I'm nt sticking to a pad.

What is a good pad to use for this (I don't want to drop big bucks here) and what would be a good cloth/fleece liner to stuff them in? Perhaps down the line I'll get an air mattress with this.

Thanks

txulrich
03-21-2007, 14:13
So I'm going to order a clarks North American and skip the under quilt stuff for now, but I would like to get a pad, if for anything added comfort. My thoughts are to get two 1/4 pads (and here is where I need your help) that are wide (30"+) and long (as long as I can), and stick them together, then form and cut them to fill out the hammock. From there I want to put them in some kind of bag liner or something so that they are held together and there is some kind of cloth so I'm nt sticking to a pad.

What is a good pad to use for this (I don't want to drop big bucks here) and what would be a good cloth/fleece liner to stuff them in? Perhaps down the line I'll get an air mattress with this.

Thanks

You can get a SPE from Ed Speer (http://www.hammockcamping.com/) and use most any pad. A lot of people use a 24" pad from Wal-Mart and are quite happy with it.

I tried the pad route and didn't care for it. Find what works for you.

lvleph
03-21-2007, 14:18
There is also the GG ThinLight. (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html)

Jim Bowie
03-21-2007, 15:12
You can get a SPE from Ed Speer (http://www.hammockcamping.com/) and use most any pad. A lot of people use a 24" pad from Wal-Mart and are quite happy with it.

I tried the pad route and didn't care for it. Find what works for you.

So, are you using an underquilt instead, or just going without?

txulrich
03-21-2007, 16:13
So, are you using an underquilt instead, or just going without?

I wasn't gonna steal this thread and go on about quilts, but since you asked. :D

I originally tried the pad route and it was a pain in my back. Struggling to stay on top of it and the condensation in the morning. I eventually dropped the money for a JRB nest and used my sleeping bag as a top quilt for awhile.

Then, I made a JRB ORM clone that I use on the bottom. I now use the Nest as a top. Both are money well spent in terms of comfort and warmth. For really cold temps (in the low 20's and below), I would add a pad. Here in Texas, it just doesn't get that cold but, for about a week if at all.

Upwards of 50 degrees, I'll use the Nest on the bottom and use a fleece blanket or such on the top. Above 70, I seldom use anything on top or bottom. Maybe a JRB Weathershield on the bottom to block the breeze and a cotton sheet on top.

All in all, it's way more comfortable than struggling with a pad and dealing with the condensation.

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 16:21
I think I'm just going to try the clarks North American, then get an SPE with the 1/2 pad and then get a larger 40x80 pad (this stuff perhaps http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html) somewhere to put under it. With a 20 degree bag and the 1" or so of pad that side I should be good to 20, maybe lower if I dress warmer or have an additional blanket or sack liner.

I just don't want to spend the money for quilts and **** even though packing up those pads will suck.

hawkeye
03-21-2007, 16:27
Let me know how you like the Clark. I sold my hammock (Hennesy) last year and wish I kept it.

txulrich
03-21-2007, 17:23
I think I'm just going to try the clarks North American, then get an SPE with the 1/2 pad and then get a larger 40x80 pad (this stuff perhaps http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html) somewhere to put under it. With a 20 degree bag and the 1" or so of pad that side I should be good to 20, maybe lower if I dress warmer or have an additional blanket or sack liner.

I just don't want to spend the money for quilts and **** even though packing up those pads will suck.

Like I said in my first post, find what works for you. I know of many hangers here and on the hammock forums that use a pad. I regularly camp with a guy (Scouts) that hangs and uses a pad. I don't think less of them. No one will look down at you (certainly the tenters will be looking up at you!). Definately find what works for you, refine it and use it!!

Fiddleback
03-21-2007, 18:17
Rhino-Ifl --

I don't think you need a hammock pad for extra "comfort" but you sure as heck need a pad or something else for under insulation.

As far as thin, wide pads are concerned, check out the Oware offering at http://owareusa.com/ ; 60 X 40 X 3/16" at 6oz. They cost $24 w/free shipping. I use their older one which was a whopping ¼" thick/7oz and am really impressed with it's insulation capability given its weight. Other benefits, due to its its size and material, are that it doesn't slip much and it cups around your shoulders providing extra insulation and wind block. I also discovered it does well with other pads on the ground. I folded it along the long axis and inserted an old Thermarest into the taco-shell of the Oware...it was the softest, warmest ground pad combination I can remember using...at least for the weight.;) And no slipping.

The Oware pad is the only one I've ever used in the hammock. I got the idea from Sgt Rock and I think he also sticks two of 'em together...you might find something about it at his site.

The only complaint I had was that it is bulky to pack. But a new pack took care of that problem...

FB

SteveJ
03-21-2007, 18:58
Hi, Rhino-Ifl - in the effort to keep it simple as far as pads, I use the Target brand - Greatland? - blue 3/8" closed cell foam pad. it's 27" wide, and is generally wide enough for me. If I know it'll be in the teens or lower, I'll carry a shorter piece and "T" 2 pads (1 3/8" pad isn't enough for me w/ temps below mid-30's...) at my shoulders to be sure that my arms and shoulders have padding.... Easy to replace, light and cheap ($11?)....

2Questions
03-21-2007, 22:02
I've gotten comfortable with my combination pad. Its made in sections that velcro together. Wing sections, main section, and lower section. See my gallery.

Just Jeff
03-21-2007, 23:10
You won't need a wide pad if you get a SPE. The SPE takes the place of the wide pad. I think most folks who use Clarks just use regular pads in the pocket. If you're going that route, consider getting the Clark first, then get 1-2 cheap Target or Walmart pads. If that doesn't work, spend the money on a different pad or a SPE.

But then, if you're spending over $350 on a hammock I guess more expensive pads is a pretty small percentage of the overall cost. Still might add unnecessary complexity though. But you gotta find what works for you! No criticism here! :D

Ramble~On
03-22-2007, 03:42
I have a Clark North American. I have used it in winter in below freezing temps and did fine with a simple full sized RidgeRest and some extra clothes stuffed down around feet level. The pockets under the North American when stuffed with clothes or other items with an insulating value act as an underquilt. If you're planning to use it in below freezing temps a SPE or a homemade jobbie will come in handy. The pockets don't cover the entire bottom of the hammock and these areas need to be insulated with something. Once you get the hammock and spend a few nights in it you'll get a good idea of what you need and where you need it. I am very happy with my Clark. I didn't like the way the mesh sags inward so I installed a DIY extender rod type thing that works for me. I ditched the rope that came with it and use webbing and Eno Slap Straps. Now, I like my Clark even more... I pretty much only use the Clark for "really" cold weather and have yet to use an underquilt with it. As far as hammocks go the North American is heavy. The "larger" sized tarp is a joke and I still wonder what they were thinking when they designed the tarp...The stock tarp stays home and I use a bigger silnylon tarp. There's pro's and con's with everything. The Clark North American is a good hammock and has some really good features.. When sleeping in my clark I often wake up to find that I haven't moved all night. It is possible to lie pretty flat but the Clark isn't an asym and the canoe effect takes some getting used to.

msupple
03-22-2007, 15:05

Thanks

I discovered this site which has pads plenty wide and long enough at competitive prices. I too have been looking for a pad wider than the standard 20 or 24". I have a double bottom hammock and plan on initially cutting it the full width of the hammock so it wraps up on the sides. Of course I'll have to taper it as it tapers to the ends.

here's the link. http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.htm?E+scstore

Miguel

Rhino-lfl
03-22-2007, 15:32
I discovered this site which has pads plenty wide and long enough at competitive prices. I too have been looking for a pad wider than the standard 20 or 24". I have a double bottom hammock and plan on initially cutting it the full width of the hammock so it wraps up on the sides. Of course I'll have to taper it as it tapers to the ends.

here's the link. http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.htm?E+scstore

Miguel

How tight do you think the CC005 Brownish-Gray Medium - 1 1/2 " Thick x 48 " x 82 " pad could wrap up? If I got this for the bottom, then used the SPE with a simple 1/2 wally world or other pad, I'm thinking I could be good till -9000 degrees below zero lol.

Tacoda
03-23-2007, 02:39
I used an underquild in lower temps from jacks r better. This no where even came close to what I required.

A sleeping pad in a hammock was like trying to get close to a coyote ugly. I was good while it lasted in drunken sleep, but it always seemed to go exactly where it was not needed.

Mind you, This was a smaller, home-cut pad. But still. Anything in a hammock will leave you in anticipation of a better ride unless you pay particular attention to the ' coyote ugly ' through out all hours of the night.

Full lady pad with all the baggage of course does not apply. But be prepared to pay them heavy 'ho'.

Tacoda
03-23-2007, 02:42
a solo light tent with a vestible and a light-wieght pad will shave off the pounds, and provide freedom.

Grinder
03-23-2007, 08:52
I found pads inside the hammock to be a royal pain. I felt like I was velcro'ed in place. As a light sleeper who tosses and turns, this made for a long night.

So, I went with a two layer hammock, with the pad in between the lawers. I started witht eh Risk Zhammock, as he designed it. I have since cut out the top to bottom ply connection on one side, to simplify loading the pads.

This was a major improvement. I slept for a month or two in it with one 24" pad on the diagonal. In colder weather, there was minor cold spots on the sides.

On the SPE subject: They work once you are in position. I found the side pads tendency to flop over on top of the main pad to be annoying. It was a lot of fuss to get everything in position.

Pads are somewhat of a pain to pack and carry, as they take up a lot of space.

This led me to the gearskin type of pack. In this design, the pad becomes the body or stays of the pack. Things integrated well.

I'm now piddling with two 20" pads. I currently just lay them between the two ply hammock with some overlap. I'm considering duct tape hinges and corner trimming to make things neater, but comfort is great with the makeshift set up as it is.

Miles of Smiles

Fiddleback
03-23-2007, 08:58
Does anyone have an 'oversized' pad, e.g., ~ 60 X 40", that slips in their hammock, specifically a Hennessy? Mine simply does not slip enough, if any, to leave parts of my bod without insulation. I use clothing and 'stuff' for a pillow...the pad takes care of the rest of me, from the base of my neck to my feet. Given its size, it simply doesn't have much space to slip.

Tacoda --

I don't want to start another tent vs hammock but what did you mean by "freedom?" Second only to comfort, I find convenience/freedom to the benefit of hammocking. My hammock setup time is about the same, maybe quicker, than my tent and I don't have to search out a site that's level, dry, smooth, etc. I concede, however, that ya' gotta have trees...:-?

FB

SuperTroll
03-23-2007, 10:26
Tape Two 1/8 inchers together lengthwise, shape to fit the hammock, then spray them with a spray adhesive and stick a light flannel to them....

Rhino-lfl
03-23-2007, 10:44
I just got off the phone with knox. They are all out of the 1.5" stuff, but the 3/4 inch rolls up to about a 12" diameter. I just ordered it. I got the Medium Black Closed Cell Foam 3/4" x 57" x 82" and will trim it to fit my hammock then maybe cover that with a inexpensive bag liner or something.

I should get the hammock, bag, and pad early next week. Night temps here are still 40 to low teens so I'm gonna try it out in the back yard. I'd suspect with my 10 degree bag, ziplock bags in my clark, and the 3/4 pad I should be good for a bit. If I need more I'll get the 4x4 SPE with the1/2 pads and pop that on the 3/4 pad. That should keep me till about -200F lol.

I'll let ya know how I like it when I try it out.

FanaticFringer
03-23-2007, 16:24
a solo light tent with a vestible and a light-wieght pad will shave off the pounds, and provide freedom.

And leave you counting sheep all night long:D

msupple
03-26-2007, 10:23
I just got off the phone with knox. They are all out of the 1.5" stuff, but the 3/4 inch rolls up to about a 12" diameter. I just ordered it. I got the Medium Black Closed Cell Foam 3/4" x 57" x 82" and will trim it to fit my hammock then maybe cover that with a inexpensive bag liner or something.

I should get the hammock, bag, and pad early next week. Night temps here are still 40 to low teens so I'm gonna try it out in the back yard. I'd suspect with my 10 degree bag, ziplock bags in my clark, and the 3/4 pad I should be good for a bit. If I need more I'll get the 4x4 SPE with the1/2 pads and pop that on the 3/4 pad. That should keep me till about -200F lol.

I'll let ya know how I like it when I try it out.

Just curious...why you decided on 3/4" thickness for the pad. That seem like way overkill. Most people seem to think 1/4" or 3/8" to be more than adequate. Usually it's the width that seem to be the issue. I'm going to order some 1/4 or 3/8" and leave it wide enough go up the sides of my double bottomed hammock. The only concern I have is the added bulk that will come with the added width. For that reason I'll probably go with the 1/4" and use compression straps to get it down to a manageable size when packed. Right now I'm using an old 2" thick Thermarest which is about 30" wide. I've slept down to 32 degrees with a 20 degree bag and have been quite comfortable. I only partially inflate the mattress so it conforms nicely to the hammock. Keep us posted.

Miguel

Rhino-lfl
03-26-2007, 12:10
Just curious...why you decided on 3/4" thickness for the pad. That seem like way overkill. Most people seem to think 1/4" or 3/8" to be more than adequate. Usually it's the width that seem to be the issue. I'm going to order some 1/4 or 3/8" and leave it wide enough go up the sides of my double bottomed hammock. The only concern I have is the added bulk that will come with the added width. For that reason I'll probably go with the 1/4" and use compression straps to get it down to a manageable size when packed. Right now I'm using an old 2" thick Thermarest which is about 30" wide. I've slept down to 32 degrees with a 20 degree bag and have been quite comfortable. I only partially inflate the mattress so it conforms nicely to the hammock. Keep us posted.

Miguel

Because I'm still building the hammock set up and would rather go to big then too small to start. I got a huge piece of ccf 57" x 82" and can cut that to the exact size I want and fiddle with it. I can alway use it to support my pack if it works, and unlike most people, I won't have to carry a bunch of pads and underquilts if one big one will work. Once I trim it to where I want it, I'm going to sew a fleece blanket to it for comfort and I should be golden. I'll post pics and a followup when I actually get the stuff.

Dan Wilson
03-26-2007, 20:50
I like the the Big Agnes system a bunch! I use it in the winter with my ENO One Link System and love it!

Tacoda
03-31-2007, 22:35
Tacoda --

etc. I concede, however, that ya' gotta have trees...:-?

FB

Ah, ya I would hope you would understand that the area I hike in does indeed have trees.

Rough
04-01-2007, 09:55
I use a cut-down to 3/4 length Walmart CCF pad in my Clark. It works fine and I've never had any condensation issues. Lately the LunaPad (see link below) has caught my eye as a lightweight option. Anyone using this pad?

http://www.nunatakusa.com/lunapad.htm

Rhino-lfl
04-01-2007, 11:19
http://www.nunatakusa.com/lunapad.htm

I paid only a little more then that for my 57x80 3/4 pad. Plus, I don't like the divots on that pad because they compress.

Ridgerunner50
04-01-2007, 16:52
Another method to keep your pad from sliding all around in your hammock is to get some tool box liner at WallyWorld and and cut a strip the length of your pad and place it between the pad and hammock. This really helped reduce the pad from sliding all around. We use this material at Kroger in our refrigerated meat cases and I hate it as you can not slide the styrofoam trays of meat around in the case. You must lift and move them. A light bulb want off in the ol' knoggin'. I cut a 12" strip to try it out. It worked great on my last outing.

hobbit
04-02-2007, 16:36
has anyone ever tried to sew a set of loops underneath the hammock and just put a pad underneath the hammock?
would this work?

Rhino-lfl
04-05-2007, 10:27
Got my 3/4" 57X82 ccfp today and it is a whopper. The material is real nice, firm but flexible. The whole pad weighs 11lbs, but I intend to put it up quite a bit, but I'm not sure how yet. I'm thinking about cutting a 37x82 piece and then fitting that into the hammock and trimming it for fit and support, it will probably end up looking like a mummy sleeping bag profile. I'll use the rest to stuff in my SPE and see how that feels. I'll try them separate and together in my CJH NA.

I did sleep on the pad on my floor last night and it held heat like crazy, thought it was going to cook me. The insulation properties on this foam are great, your hand gets warm just holding it lol.

Pics!!

whitefoot_hp
04-13-2007, 16:24
There is also the GG ThinLight. (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html)
this is a great idea. its not like you need padding, your in the hammock, you just insulation.

msupple
04-16-2007, 09:38
Got my 3/4" 57X82 ccfp today and it is a whopper. The material is real nice, firm but flexible. The whole pad weighs 11lbs, but I intend to put it up quite a bit, but I'm not sure how yet. I'm thinking about cutting a 37x82 piece and then fitting that into the hammock and trimming it for fit and support, it will probably end up looking like a mummy sleeping bag profile. I'll use the rest to stuff in my SPE and see how that feels. I'll try them separate and together in my CJH NA.

I did sleep on the pad on my floor last night and it held heat like crazy, thought it was going to cook me. The insulation properties on this foam are great, your hand gets warm just holding it lol.

Pics!!

I hate to say it but at 11 pounds you might as well be hauling an RV around. 3/4 inch is way thicker than you need. Some people find 1/8" to be adequate with 1/4 to 3/8 being the norm. Where in the world did you ever get the idea that the pad needed to be 3/4" thick? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything but why haul around all that extra weight and thickness when it's not necessary.