PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen PawPaw?

Tin Man
03-21-2007, 13:50
Anyone seen PawPaw or know his story? According to this article (click here (http://www.dailymail.com/story/Life/+/2007032032/On-the-Trail-Hikers-often-given-new-names-once-their-journeys-begin)), he is 89 years old, racking up more miles per day than others much younger, and if he makes it all the way he will be the oldest hiker to have completed a thru. There should be a cheering section for this guy!

Tin Man
03-21-2007, 13:54
I probably shoud have mentioned the article is about Leonard Adkins, author of 15 books on hiking. This is his fifth thru-hike, his wife's forth, and his dog's second.

The Old Fhart
03-21-2007, 14:24
It should be mentioned that there is more than one PawPaw and the one referenced in the article above is not the well-known Paw Paw from KY who should be at Trail Days again this year. I certainly wish the PawPaw who is on the trail now all the best of luck on his hike.

Sly
03-21-2007, 14:28
It doesn't look like the PawPaw I know (who's right up there in age), but hats off to him...

Schulo
03-21-2007, 14:28
I ran into a couple of hikers at NOC that had seen him. They say he is one incredible guy. He is hikeing the trail by deviding it up into lots of small section hikes. What I mean is if a certian mountian is easier from the north he gets a off the trail, gets a ride, and hikes it north. At his age I say go PawPaw.

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2007, 14:33
I've seen hundreds of pawpaws on the trail. Even ate a few :D

Sly
03-21-2007, 14:33
He is hikeing the trail by deviding it up into lots of small section hikes. What I mean is if a certian mountian is easier from the north he gets a off the trail, gets a ride, and hikes it north. At his age I say go PawPaw.

Seems like a lot of wasted time to me.

Tin Man
03-21-2007, 14:51

Could be, but then when I am 89 thru hiking will likely consist of getting thru the living room and down the hall to the bathroom in time!

Go Paw Paw!

Big Dawg
03-21-2007, 15:24
Anyone seen PawPaw or know his story? According to this article (click here (http://www.dailymail.com/story/Life/+/2007032032/On-the-Trail-Hikers-often-given-new-names-once-their-journeys-begin)), he is 89 years old, racking up more miles per day than others much younger, and if he makes it all the way he will be the oldest hiker to have completed a thru. There should be a cheering section for this guy!

I met PawPaw at Woody Gap on 3/02. Super guy. We all stayed at hikerhostel that night.

Wonder
03-21-2007, 16:05
I heard that Pawpaw got off trail in NOC......a sad day. He is an amazing and intresting man who I'm am honored to have met.

weary
03-21-2007, 16:49
Not if you are 89 -- or even 77. After a while the aim is to do the miles, but in the easiest possible way.

emerald
03-21-2007, 17:11
I've seen hundreds of pawpaws on the trail. Even ate a few :D

I don't need to leave my yard for pawpaws!:p :D

I wonder if you TJ aka Teej or others would share with us where you found pawpaws near the A.T.? I can't think of any places where I found and ate ripe pawpaws along the A.T. although I know of quite a few good places to gather them elsewhere.

Everyone on the A.T. in September who has never eaten a paw paw should take advantage of such a opportunity. I'm sure there must be many places one might do just that.

galaleemc
03-23-2007, 10:56
I heard he got off the trail, due to a bum knee but wants to get back asap. He was bumping his car along on his hikes so he could have it when he wanted it. A real luxury item.

Sly
03-23-2007, 11:00
Not if you are 89 -- or even 77. After a while the aim is to do the miles, but in the easiest possible way.

What's the easiest way possible? I'd venture to bet he tries to do less climbing, more downhill, now his knees are shot. Rather than running around shuttling his car he'd be better off just taking it easy.

weary
03-23-2007, 13:15
What's the easiest way possible? I'd venture to bet he tries to do less climbing, more downhill, now his knees are shot. Rather than running around shuttling his car he'd be better off just taking it easy.
I suspect you're right. But people will try most anything.

Ron Haven
03-23-2007, 23:14
I heard that Pawpaw got off trail in NOC......a sad day. He is an amazing and intresting man who I'm am honored to have met.This past Monday morning he left Budget Inn in Franklin.Before he left he told me he was having trouble with his knee.He said til it got better he was going to South Carolina and spend some time with his daughter.

Dances with Mice
03-23-2007, 23:37
Cimarron (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=168357) (85? yo) and a cancer survivor is chugging up the Trail.

His luxury item is a Emergency Room Doctor (Bear Bag), who trails behind him. Mr. Bag may be joining us on W-B soon.

emerald
03-24-2007, 13:31
Mr. Bag may be joining us on W-B soon.

I do hope he will join us as he no doubt has all sorts of insightful stories he could share with us about his experiences.

gypsy
03-27-2007, 16:13
Awww Pawpaw........ when I think of him, I think of Maker's Mark and marriage proposals. Maybe I will leave wolf for him one day.....:-?