PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in New Hampshire

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 15:44
I want to start taking some 5 day and weekend backpacking trips in New Hampshire and I have a few questions.

Where are some good starting points for hikes on the weekend and maybe a little longer? I’m looking for places that I can drive too, get out and park, leave the car and do my thing, then walk out when times up. I’m also looking for some places that I might be able to do a little fishing while I hike.

I don’t think I’m looking to cover huge miles or anything like that yet, but I’d like to hike in, maybe fish, hike in more, whatever, then head out and drive off when I’m done. Being able to leave my car behind for a few days is important, because otherwise I won’t be able to get there lol.

I don’t know too much about the parks or good areas for stuff like this, so I appreciate the info and help.

rafe
03-21-2007, 16:07
Get the AMC White Mountain Guide or the "50 Hikes in New Hampshire" book. But be warned... hiking the Whites in spring can be a bear. You'll encounter snow well into May and maybe even early June, and all the streams will be high. There are dozens of trailheads along the Franconia Notch, along Rte. 16, along the Kancamagus Highway, Rte 2, Rte. 302, and Rte. 113 (east of Gorham, along the ME/NH state line.)

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 16:17
Are there places there I can park and walk for a few days? NH is really my only choice cause I live on the North Shore of MA and I'd like to keep my drive time down to a few hours. But that is also the reason I'm not going deep since backpacking in NH can be cold till july at night.

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 16:18
I wish all my friends were into hiking and not boats lol, it would be nice to have a friend who knew about this stuff and would go with me.

icemanat95
03-21-2007, 16:25
You can stitch together any number of loop hikes in the major areas of the Whites including the Pemigawasset Wilderness accessed either from the Kancamagus Highway or from several trailheads in Franconia Notch. The Presidential Range can be accessed readily from Route 2 to the North and Route 16 to the East and Route 302 to the West. You can go into the Presidentials from the Pinkham Notch AMC facility and access miles and miles of trails on both sides of the Notch and stitch together all sorts of loops.

For something a little less scenic and ambitious, there is the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway which can be managed in a couple three days as an end to end hike. You'd need someone to pick you up or drop you off at one end or the other.

Askus3
03-21-2007, 19:18
Have you checked out http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/ (http://viewsfromthetop.com/). Lots of great ideas and private hiking events. Also many of the members of this website are from the Boston area. They go to the Whites quite frequently, many in quest of their peakbagging the NH 48 - 4,000 footers.

Mr. Clean
03-22-2007, 04:18
There is definitely snow into June on many of the trails, and the loops you can put together are endless. I'll second views from the top, but the AMC White Mtn Guide and maps is your best bet for planning your trips.

applejack
03-22-2007, 06:27
the lincoln woods trail or wilderness trail near lincoln is a good starting point. one can do a few nights in the woods and hardly go up an incline. and you can also integrate as high a mountain as you want from there into your walk. being in the valley of the pemi wilderness, there is the pemi river, as well as other rivers and streams and ponds and falls you can walk to. as far as how the fishing is in them, i don't fish so i wouldn't know. living on the north shore myself, it will be between 2.5 - 3.5 hours to drive to anywhere i feel like going in the whites. find out about the forest service's parking fee or sticker rules. the majority of places to park a car is on forest service land and costs a small fee to park, but the parking's pretty safe- i've never personally hit the lottery of having my car broke into.

applejack
03-22-2007, 06:29
oh, and if you don't climb the higher mountains, the snow is gone from trails probably a month or so sooner, maybe more.

Rhino-lfl
03-22-2007, 09:55
I picked up those books, can't wait till I get them. Also, I thought the park services in NH were closed until May?

rafe
03-22-2007, 18:41
oh, and if you don't climb the higher mountains, the snow is gone from trails probably a month or so sooner, maybe more.

The streams will still be very high. I've tried to hike on Memorial Day and had to turn back -- not very far up the trail, in fact. I forget which summit I was aiming for but it was one of those trailheads off the Kancamagus highway, heading up onto the Passaconaway ridge. Punching through the drifts was bad enough, but it seemed there was a stream crossing every five minutes, and each crossing required removing shoes and socks... after the fourth or fifth crossing I gave up.

I tried to salvage the hike by crossing the road and heading up into the Pemi along the Sawyer Pond Trail -- but I was stopped at the Swift River. The river was raging, and I'm guessing it would have been thigh- or waist-deep, at least. Ice-cold spring runoff. No thanks!

rickb
03-22-2007, 18:56
I picked up those books, can't wait till I get them. Also, I thought the park services in NH were closed until May?One of the great things about hiking in the Whites is that you really can camp virtually anywhere. Basically if you stay 1/4 mile away from anything man made (other than a trail), go 200 feet into the woods to camp if you are in Wilderness area, and don't camp above tree line, you are probably "legal".

Or, you can pick up a copy of the regualtions at one of the Forest Service Stations on the way up (on either way in
to Waterville Valley or Lincoln). You might be stopping there for a parking permit anyway (or get one at REI).

Because so little planning is required, our approach for years was to just to lay out the map in the morning and just look at it until something seemed like a good fit for how we felt that day. Then go. When you come back, mark your route with a red pen and before too long you will see have been all over, but with more to explore

The aren't any best hikes in the Whites, only different ones.

illusionistG
03-22-2007, 20:25
Don't forget that the AMC runs a shuttle in the Whites allowing you to park, do a day hike or multiple day hike without having to return via the same path or a loop trail to your vehicle.

http://http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

As far as a good ,challenging loop trail:

Lafayette Place Parking Lot (Franconia Notch) Take Falling Waters trail to Franconia Ridge. Then head to Mt. Lafayette via the AT (also called the Franconia Ridge Trail). Take trail down to Greenleaf Hut then follow the Bridal Path back to the Lafayette Place parking lot. If you have a clear day you will be in awe of the views !!!

As for fishing try the Sawyer Pond Trail off of Kancamaugus Highway.
Best of luck and enjoy

rafe
03-22-2007, 20:42
As far as a good ,challenging loop trail:

Lafayette Place Parking Lot (Franconia Notch) Take Falling Waters trail to Franconia Ridge. Then head to Mt. Lafayette via the AT (also called the Franconia Ridge Trail). Take trail down to Greenleaf Hut then follow the Bridal Path back to the Lafayette Place parking lot. If you have a clear day you will be in awe of the views !!

One of the best loops ever!!! IllusionistG knows whereof he speaks.

Rhino-lfl
03-23-2007, 10:26
Don't forget that the AMC runs a shuttle in the Whites allowing you to park, do a day hike or multiple day hike without having to return via the same path or a loop trail to your vehicle.

I'm going to look into that, thanks. I just starting out hiking and don't have any ideas where to go. I am however experienced with camping and outdoor survival, I just don't have any idea where to go here to do it lol. And being a solo item, I gotta figure this stuff out on my own.

I'll be somewhere up there the week of april 16th. If you see me walking around (or driving around lost looking for a spot), throw a acorn at me to get my attention and tell me what the hell to do lol.