PDA

View Full Version : saw an entry

Askus3
03-21-2007, 20:04
I saw an entry in the AT register box this afternoon at the junction with the Allis Trail in the Sterling Forest area (east of Lakes Road). Today is March 21 but the last entry was dated march 23, 2007 from a fellow who stated he was going to be out on the trail 30 days and was hiking from NJ to VT. Aside from having the wrong date, The entry prior to that was March 3, I thought that was quite ambitious to hike the AT north through here at this time of year. I can't remember the name of the hiker but I think it was Ken (Keith) ______ .

As for the trail conditions, we have today about 9 inch snow cover with a layer of ice on top that can not support my weight. It was nice for my Pug as he did not sink in. So even though it was not deep, (I wore stabilicers) it was slow going and strenuous hiking. I hiked to Mombash High Point and back which was tiring. The trail had one set of prints going east from Lakes Road (probably Ken/Keith). Now with the two of us going in and out there are prints going both ways. By the way Fitzgerald Falls was quite spectacular with a good water flow and coating of ice on the sides.

Conditions should change dramatically in the next 24 hours as we are going up to 60 and having rain early tomorrow.