PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section Hike S or N

enLightened One
03-21-2007, 21:22
I am planning to hike the Georgia section of the trail at the end of March. Here is my question. Is it better south to north or north to south. I know most of the traffic will be heading north and at 1st this seemed to be my choce as well but since it is a section hike I can do it either way. So I would welcome any comments out there about this.

Almost There
03-21-2007, 21:27
My buddy and I are doing a section from Springer to Unicoi starting the 31st. I would definitely go north, it's a little easier hike and the crowds won't be so bad as most of the thruhikers have already started. Going Sobo, hiking out of Dick's Creek is rough, so is hiking out of Unicoi, and I would rather do Blood any day of the week going NOBO vs. SOBO. Your choice but to me NOBO is a much nicer hike, still challenging, but nicer all the same.

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 21:41
I pretty much agree with Almost There, but I wouldn't sweat it. There's not enough difference in difficulty either way to agonize over.

Personally I'd make the decision based on ease of shuttle/transportation for you. And if you don't like crowds then SoBo is much better if you don't plan to stay in shelters.

max patch
03-21-2007, 21:42
Is it better south to north or north to south.

In terms of hiking the trail it doesn't matter which way you go.

Since this is thru season, if you hike SOBO you will alway be the "new guy" If you hike NOBO you will probably camp with familiar people and develop a bit of a relationship with some over the course of the week.

You didn't mention what your shuttle arrangements are. The "safest" place on the trail to park would be ASP, which would suggest a SOBO hike.

I was out Springer to 5 forks and back last weekend, and in the afternoon it was absolutely perfect weather to hike.

Kerosene
03-21-2007, 22:59
I'd go SOBO. As a section hiker out for a week (or less), you'll only see a handful of people more than a few times, and they have different aspirations than you so the relationships aren't quite the same. Heading south you will be with a new group every night (if you decide to stay at shelters), but of course you will also be passing a lot of people.

I went NOBO in early April 2004. As we started from Amicalola on a Sunday morning we actually missed a lot of the crowds the first few nights. It was strange to hike in the same direction with so many people. I walk faster than most, and I found myself passing people but then not wanting to take a break and have us leapfrog each other for a few hours (strange, I know :o).

I went SOBO in southern Virginia in June 2005, catching the end of the NOBOs. I counted over 100 thru-hikers, spending short amounts of time with many of them and overnighting with a few. I think that I actually preferred this approach.

jesse
03-21-2007, 23:10
I am goint to section Ga this summer. I will do it SOBO, because it will be easier to have my wife/daughter find Deep GAp with me in the car. Also when I finish, I would rather park my car or wait on a pick-up at AFSP than on the other end, in the middle of nowhere.

Kiyu
03-21-2007, 23:29
I went SOBO in southern Virginia in June 2005, catching the end of the NOBOs. I counted over 100 thru-hikers, spending short amounts of time with many of them and overnighting with a few. I think that I actually preferred this approach.
How do you if hiking SOBO avoid stopping and chatting with folks on the trail without appearing rude....hang a cardboard sign around your neck declaring you deaf & dumb?
Just seems that once you have gotten in a grove stopping would allow those things that already ache to ache even worse. If NOBO you wouldn't see other hikers ahead or behind until the end of the day would you?

Kiyu

Skidsteer
03-21-2007, 23:34
How do you if hiking SOBO avoid stopping and chatting with folks on the trail without appearing rude....hang a cardboard sign around your neck declaring you deaf & dumb?
Just seems that once you have gotten in a grove stopping would allow those things that already ache to ache even worse. If NOBO you wouldn't see other hikers ahead or behind until the end of the day would you?

Kiyu

Just nod politely, smile, and keep hiking. No biggie.

enLightened One
03-22-2007, 00:05
Thanks for the comments. There are pluses and minuses to every decision. Seems the ease of leaving a vehicle and getting dropped off by the wife may favor a SOBO. I am not planning in using the shelters although I imagine a few nights may be near some of them. One more question. Is it important or necessary to hang our food on that part of the trail or is just a bit of extra care ok?

The Solemates
03-22-2007, 10:54
i'd go south and pick up all the free gear. half my stuff was acquired that way.

joel137
03-22-2007, 23:51
I've done it both ways. And I'd say there isn't much difference one way or the other. The fellow who commented about how you are getting to and from the trail probably had it right. If you are leaving a parked car go SOBO. If meeting someone who is picking you up it may be a little easier at the northern gap, i.e. a NOBO, but Amicolola isn't that hard to meet up, just make sure your ride knows if they should meet you at the inn/restaurant or at the visitors center down the hill (where the gate is). I didn't make that clear with my pick up and naturally we each assumed the opposite.