PDA

View Full Version : presidential range hopeful

savannah
03-22-2007, 09:23
Advice needed...I'm considering hiking section three of new hampshire in the white mountains this year. I have backpacking experience, but have never climbed anything over 2,000 ft. My companion has no experience, but is in relatively good shape. I average 8-12 miles a day in rocky PA...how many miles can I expect to hike a day in this part of the trail? What can I expect as far as temperature, black flies, etc... at the end of July? Any advice greatly appreciated!

rafe
03-22-2007, 09:27
Advice needed...I'm considering hiking section three of new hampshire in the white mountains this year. I have backpacking experience, but have never climbed anything over 2,000 ft. My companion has no experience, but is in relatively good shape. I average 8-12 miles a day in rocky PA...how many miles can I expect to hike a day in this part of the trail? What can I expect as far as temperature, black flies, etc... at the end of July? Any advice greatly appreciated!

The Whites are tough, but rewarding. I figure 1 mile per hour in the Whites, and/or 1 hour per 1000 vertical feet. That's in normal backpacking mode. Somewhat faster in day-hike mode or with a light (under 20 lbs.) pack.

With mountains like Washington or Moosilauke, you're looking at 4000 feet (or more) of vertical climb from trailhead to summit. At the Franconia Ridge, it's more like 3000 feet.

eventidecu
03-22-2007, 09:44
Nice new Icon there T2...LOL Now thats funny, I don't care hu ya r!!

DavidNH
03-22-2007, 09:52
Savannah,

As terapin correctly mentioned, expect to do no better than a mile an hour hiking in the whites. The terrain is very rugged. And yes, 4000 feet from bottom to summit is about right.

If you plan to do the presidential range, go prepared! yes it could be sunny calm and 70 degrees. It could also be cloudy, temps in 30's with a full gale and wind chills near or below freezing. Such is what I went through last August!

Even if you have blue skies, even if the forecast is for fair weather, bring rain gear and extra clothes. From the valleys (say Lincoln, NH) to the summits (any of the Presidential peaks) you may, and generally do experience a 20+ degree temp drop even in mid summer. In spring and fall there could be a 30+ degree temp drop. To put another way..once above tree line it rarely gets over 80 even in July and is very often in the 50's at best. Sometimes it may be in the 40's for high temps in July.

Now that bad news is out of the way here is some positive stuff to egg you on. The presidentials, given descent weather, are spectacular, and while rugged don't have those god awful small rocks of PA. The trails are reasonably well maintained. Also you will almost never be alone as the Whites are very well travelled.

The huts make a fine stop for a snack. You can refill your water bottles for free and get snacks for small charge. As far as overnights, they are filled months in advance but the food is great. I won't get into the plus's and minus's staying in the huts..it has already been beat to death here on WB.

Don't let anything I said here hold you back. The Presidential range is one of the premier hikes in the northeast! But since you said you hadn't climbed anything over 2000 feet I thought I would give you an accurate picture of what you will be getting into. The presidentials are the longest stretch above tree line in the east. Weather you are up there for day trips, weekend trips or multi day trips you will have wonderful scenery and great memories!

DavidNH

DavidNH
03-22-2007, 09:53
oh and one more thing..leave the bug dope at home. There won't be any bugs in them thar mountains..too windy!

weary
03-22-2007, 10:26
I tend to be conservative in these things. But I would figure on 5-6 miles a day, especially if you have plenty of time. It's a beautiful areas that is best enjoyed in an unhurried walk.

If your budget permits it, I would suggest a hut to hut hike, especially for the section between Lake of the Clouds and Madison Springs. This allows for reduced pack weight, and makes the section through the Presidentials less of a hassle. It's a long day between campsites in the high country.

Black flies should be gone by the end of July. But the huts fill up quickly. If you go that route, make reservations early.

Weary

Kerosene
03-22-2007, 11:16
My average miles per hour dropped from 2.5 to 1.5 or even 1.0 mph through the Whites on all but the rare smooth sections. It isn't so much the climbs as the roughness of the trail. Across the Presidentials it is very difficult to maintain a real stride as you're frequently hopping from rock to rock. At least in the summer you will have more daylight hours to hike, so as long as your packs are under 30 pounds then I'd guess that you could do 10-12 mpd without rushing.