PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies in late July?

gypsy
03-22-2007, 09:46
Hey guys,
LW and I are planning on hiking the long trail in mid to late July. How terrible are the black flies around this time? Anybody know? This is the only time I can work in a long distance hike between my semesters at school. I've been wanting to do the long trail for awhile. Thanks in advance, Gypsy

TJ aka Teej
03-22-2007, 13:45
Not bad at all, late-July is usually the tail end of blackfly season. Nice time of year to hike in Vermont, you'll enjoy it!

weary
03-22-2007, 13:48
Hey guys,
LW and I are planning on hiking the long trail in mid to late July. How terrible are the black flies around this time? Anybody know? This is the only time I can work in a long distance hike between my semesters at school. I've been wanting to do the long trail for awhile. Thanks in advance, Gypsy
I don't worry about black flies after the first week of July. But one can never say for sure. Nature is full of surprises.

MOWGLI
03-22-2007, 14:20
Gypsy:

I'm not a New Englander like Teej & Weary, but I had only a few black flies bother me in VT & NH in late July.

Mosquitoes? That's a different story! ;) Nothing a little campfire won't cure though.

Have a blast!

weary
03-22-2007, 14:22
Gypsy:

I'm not a New Englander like Teej & Weary, but I had only a few black flies bother me in VT & NH in late July.

Mosquitoes? That's a different story! ;) Nothing a little campfire won't cure though.

Have a blast!
Or a Zip Stove.

gypsy
03-22-2007, 15:45
Thanks you guys, I'm glad. I'll just make sure that I carry alot of Deet--the 100%-peel-your-face-off kind. :D

oruoja
03-22-2007, 17:44
It varies year to year. I have been out as early as mid-May to early June on extended Long Trail hikes with little to no problem and then got chewed up by black flies in July. Glastenbury Mountain seems to a popular place to find them even late into the summer season. With the good amount of snow we have accumulated this year the bug season could be extended, especially if we have a lot of rain over the next two months. Having done three LT thrus and almost done with number four I have to say that for me the most annoying bugs have been deer flies.