PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Your Trial Name

Sticks41
03-22-2007, 12:58
Hopefully this is not a thread already. But how did your trail name come about?

Creek Dancer
03-22-2007, 13:08
After several failed attempts at water crossings in St. Mary's Wildnerness, I was dubbed Creek Dancer.

tokin
03-22-2007, 13:25
When doing the LT, another hiker commented to me that there weren't a lot of non-Caucasian people on the trail, my being the only one they had come across. Hence I received the name Tokin' Minority.

Trailers
03-22-2007, 13:36
is that a double name? tokin, like youre the token minority and you always tokin' on a jay?

or cant you spell :)

how long should you really wait to be named ?

whats the rules? accept first name? or wait until a good one?

Wonder
03-22-2007, 13:43
My friend and I have a tradition of day hiking the Pinnicle every November.......started way before I was a backpacker. Anyway, I was determined to go on our hike even though I was still recovering from a osteochoindrital transplant. (got a new ankle) I had spent 6 months on crutchs, and had been walking a month at the time. When we got up there, we took a picture with a sign thanking my doctor. A SoBo came by and decided that it was a wonder that my foot worked! Hence, WOnderfoot! I have no idea what this guys name was, but getting my trail name kicked me in the butt and got me out here!

Sticks41
03-22-2007, 13:47

I think it should be the first name. I mean, you're on the trial for the first time, you do something stupid, bam! that's your name. Also, you cna't give it to yourself, that's lame.

moxie
03-22-2007, 13:47
I carried Moxie, the Maine State Soda, on the trail while doing trail macic in the 1990's before my thru hike. I hiked with thru hikers Nomad 98 and Rascal in western Maine near Old Spec and Mahossic Notch. Nomad was carrying Moxie in a Nalgene bottle. We talked about Moxie and several times he refered to me by the name Moxie. I liked it and the name stuck. Intresting note, Nomad and Rascal went on to Spec Pond campsite and I turned north towards Grafton Notch. An hour later I met Attroll for the first time. We stopped and exchanged ideas about gear. I ended up purchasing a backpack like his and he ended up purchasing the brand and style boots I had on. Imagine, all those trail characters on the same day. One hand grenade could have gotten us all.

Tin Man
03-22-2007, 13:48
is that a double name? tokin, like youre the token minority and you always tokin' on a jay?

If you are thru-hiking you will receive a trail name relatively quickly. There are no rules really. Some believe in picking their own names before receiving an unflattering name. Some believe the best names are selected by someone else who only knows you on the trail. Some carefully pick their own name only to be renamed later due to some trait or story that is hard to distance yourself from. The point is you will likely be tagged with a name that has sticking power, either one you pick or one picked for you. Don't sweat it though and have fun with whatever name you wind up with.

Tabasco
03-22-2007, 13:54
I carried 3 different varieties of Tabasco sauce with me on my 2004 section hike. original red, habanero green and Chipotle brownish.

makes everything taste better!!

Sticks41
03-22-2007, 14:03
I should add mine...

Several meanings. My crew always busts on me, for everything. Everything. So, thus, I was deemed the name, Sticks, as in 'sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.' Also, I am skinny. Like a stick.

Creek Dancer
03-22-2007, 14:04
But the trail name is not official unless another hiker properly dubs you the name! The tradition is that in order to for the name to be official, you first have to filter and fill everyone’s water bottle, divide up your last roll of toilet paper among the shelter occupants, referee a round of fart baseball from behind home plate and clean the shelter privy. Then you have to kneel down on one knee and have another hiker tap you over each shoulder and say, “I hereby dub thee so and so”. :D

At least that what they told me I had to do when I got my name!

Sticks41
03-22-2007, 14:06
What is fart baseball? haha

Creek Dancer
03-22-2007, 14:17
:) LOL! You'll have to get Hog on Ice to explain the game. He is the Commissioner afterall.

Chaco Taco
03-22-2007, 14:20
Mine is Colonel Chaco. My buddies made a bet with me on a camping trip that I wouldnt streak through this group of girls site next to us. After some whiskey, I proceeded with the streaking in nothing but my chaco's. On a recent trip, a father and son duo had forgotten my name. At the time, I had a long beard that had handlebars and my chin was long and pointy. When talking about me they referred to me as The Colonel because they said I look like a Civil War Colonel. I later met some other hikers and they renamed me Colonel Chaco. I liked it so I stuck with it.

Tin Man
03-22-2007, 14:25
What is fart baseball? haha

Click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17391&highlight=fart+baseball) for the rules.

The Solemates
03-22-2007, 14:54
Thankfully, I've never been on trial.

RockStar
03-22-2007, 14:56
I had to be TOLD by someone else that I was being called this. And at first had no idea why I was being called this.

So I was at Walasi-Yi and they had a hiker feed. GREAT STINKIN all you can eat burgers and weenies. So amore was in the air and we were all laughing and joking in our own little groups. I was telling a lady how amazing the banana pudding was and how I LOVE banana pudding. She said "I maid it actually" And then it happened...for the 3rd or 4th time that week and the 2nd time that day.."I read your trail journal, you are so and so" and I was thinking ppl actually do read all that crap? So I jokingly said out loud "MAN, Now I know how Rock Stars feel when ppl come up to them." I meant small seemingly no name bands but, that wouldnt be as funny.

THEN at Hog Pen Gap an older couple that started to pull away as I approached the trail leading back into the woods, rolled down their window and started asking me questions as if I was the ONLY HIKER there and were so impressed. As if it was a sure bet I would make it to Maine. I quickly said I'll make it to Maine if I don't get hurt, go broke, or quite. Lone Wolf was standing there. When i turned around to start hiking again he was grinning and said "You're Famous".(Of course he was being a smart *ss but, smart *sses are funny) Then later the next day my hiking partner said "I think your trailname is Rock Star." I was very confused and upset b/c it seemed to be out of someones butt and have nothing to do with my hiking. She said when a fellow hiker Mr. Tarlin (B.J.) walked up he said "wheres RockStar" and that she had heard L.W. call me that too. Finally she reminded me of when they were cooking they heard me say what I said and alomost jerked their necks off to see who was saying it. It could be way worse and being a person with a good sense of humor I knew I could use it to humor myself and maybe others.

Nean
03-22-2007, 15:08
I think it should be the first name. I mean, you're on the trial for the first time, you do something stupid, bam! that's your name. Also, you cna't give it to yourself, that's lame.

You -and only you- decide what your trailname will be and you would have to be lame not to realize that.;)
Rules are for people w/ no common sense.:eek:

:-?

:)

Midway Sam
03-22-2007, 15:11
Thankfully, I've never been on trial.

Hahaha! I was wondering how long it was going to take.

leeki pole
03-22-2007, 16:11
Mispronounce the name of your hiking staff. Mississippi redneck. Given to me by Thoreau, thru in 2003, and by gum, I'm proud of it. :)

leeki pole
03-22-2007, 16:17
Of course it had nothing to do with nighttime incontinence in the tent..:)

Tabasco
03-22-2007, 16:19
Thanks for clarifying that leeki. I always wondered about that name, sounds like some type of VD

emerald
03-22-2007, 16:43
You -and only you- decide what your trailname will be and you would have to be lame not to realize that.;)

You've got that right Emoticon Man! Did you know that e-man would be sort of, almost, but not really an anagram?

Chaco Taco
03-22-2007, 16:54

Didnt you leave a bunch of stuff at Curtis' place? He wanted to pass along to you that he still has a ton of your stuff. :D

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2007, 17:01
Funny thing...... after all these years, everyone thinks I'm from Maryland!

Nope. Boston, actually.

http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/h/hungryheart.php

Chaco Taco
03-22-2007, 17:04

Nope. Boston, actually.

http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/h/hungryheart.php

And I was going to send you a tshirt that is green and says "I shamrock (pic of a shamrock instead of a heart) Baltimore. Learn something new everyday:D

Chef2000
03-22-2007, 19:53
It was the second day on the trail and I took the blue blaze to long creek falls for lunch, when i got down there two hikers I had met the day before were already there. i proceeded to cook a hot lunch of chicken ramen noodles, tomato soup mix and parmesan cheese. The other two hikers were eating a cold lunch, but they were digging my hot lunch. The male hiker says we should call you "cookie". I told him I had been a cook in the Army and we considered the term "cookie" an insult. I mean, the mess hall was open seven days a week, three meals a day, we work our buts off and those lame 11Bravos could have cared less, 94 bravo baby...I am sorry I had a flash back.

The hiker replied" why dont we call you chef, you know like that dude on south park"

Chef was born.

saimyoji
03-22-2007, 20:29
... they were digging my hot lunch. The male hiker says we should call you "cookie"....

I was just reading that other thread....this quote seemed to fit right in....:D

RiverWarriorPJ
03-22-2007, 20:44
Voet Nam.. .. <~~Was RiverRat, but it changed sum where along the trail....Sry 4 the YeLLow......but the Vets know it's significance..

RiverWarriorPJ
03-22-2007, 20:46
ooooopz.....replace the yellow O w/an I......LoL..

warren doyle
03-22-2007, 21:18
My trail name? It was on my birth certificate dated 3/12/50.

Kiyu
03-22-2007, 22:03
I carried 3 different varieties of Tabasco sauce with me on my 2004 section hike. original red, habanero green and Chipotle brownish.

makes everything taste better!!
Heh, heh, heh. Bet you've not been able to find Chipotle Tabasco since you've been hiking.:)
I think I've cornered the market on that stuff just in case they are considering discontinuing it. Absolutely fabulous stuff. Gets at least 7 stars on a 5 star scale.
We had our pantry lined with cans of San Marcos Chipotle peppers and some Yukotiko??sp hot sauce (from somewhere deep in the Mexican jungles)which was absolutely brutal but I've pared it down a bit as I need to live and breath.<G>
We use it with slices of chicken breast, onions & garlic and when it cooks the windows go open and if that is not enough we go outside. Coughing, hacking, jumping around the house, laughing, searching for a breath of fresh air. After we switched to Chipotle Tabasco we could live with it.
Chipotle tabasco is very mild by comparison but is my absolutely favorite seasoning.....well that and a glass of wine.:)
Got any trail recipes??????
Heck. got any recipes I can use at home windows open or closed??

Kiyu

Outlaw
03-23-2007, 06:53
Sorry, but I was self-named... based on an aspect of my occupation (I practice environmental law).

LIhikers
03-23-2007, 07:26
A hiking friend of mine named me fallsdownalot after seeing me fall down a few times. The last time, that inspired the naming, was a fall into a stream in NY's Harriman State Park. I wanted to get a photo of a stream but thought it would look nicer if I took it from a rock out in the middle. As I hopped from rock to rock, trying to keep my feet dry, I slipped and went in head first. So I've been fallsdownalot ever since.

Jaybird
03-23-2007, 08:28
Hopefully this is not a thread already. But how did your trail name come about?

i've been called "Jaybird" since i was a wee lil' hiker!

boring..huh?:D

see ya'll out there Apr 25-May 6th in VA

tokin
03-23-2007, 10:03

It is a double name, hence the apostrophe in tokin', because of the minority thing, and then because I could usually use one to mellow me out.

tagalong hiker
03-23-2007, 10:23
I chose tagalong to be my trail name before our section hike in 04 but at goose pond cabin the hikers there said it had to be something you earned at the trail. My husband was talking to the guys about the trip and our hiking diffrences saying he was always waiting for me and looking at his watch thinkin where is she so hence my trail name became "where is she?"
last year in NY he was dubbed Way ahead Ed but raelly doesnt like it.

Fly By Mike
03-23-2007, 10:24
Great thread. I'm always curious about where names originate.
In 05 I was day hiking Katahdin and met Domino, Stilts, and Treetops just before the tableland on their way to complete their thru. Later that night I met them again at the Scootic in Millinocket. Next day they were heading to NH and needed a ride. I was flying my plane back to MA so gave Domino and Stilts a ride to Lebanon NH with a "fly by" of the AT in Maine along the way. It was a great day and we flew low so they could see some of the shelters and the trail towns. Later that day in the Dirty Cowboy Cafe they came up with my name.

BlackCloud
03-23-2007, 12:34
I got tired of getting rained on, so I embraced it...

atbeatle
03-23-2007, 13:19
In 1982 I was dubbed Beatle Bailey cause they said I looked like BB when I hiked. But, later I was told it was cause I was the laziest guy to thru-hike the AT

Lion King
03-23-2007, 14:33
Well back in 1998 there was a Lion that escaped from the Atlanta Zoo.
It had roamed North GA for about two weeks, when one night while at Hawk Mtn Shelter I heard a dozen 21 year old Mercer girls out o f Spring Break screaming for help.
I lept from my tent...rather I slowly awoke and fought with the zipper till it opened and I could find my headlamp and shoes, then I lept to the shelter.

There in front of me where a gaggle of nearly nude co-eds hugging each other while in front of the shelter stood a Lion as big as a bus.
He turned to look at me, he roard, the ladies all screamed again so I did the one thing I knew I had to do.

I rushed toward him, tackled him and tied his paws together with randon bungee cord and string I saw under the shelter.

He calmed down after I whispered into his ear that I would fly him back to Africa to be with his Family, as that is where he wanted to be...the last thing he remembered was a dart in his ass. So we worked it out.
I look up and all th ehalf naked college girls are applauding and they welcomed me into their love hug.

From that point on, they called me "Lion King"

...or soemthing to that effect.:D:D:D

Rhino-lfl
03-23-2007, 14:41
Rhino, cause I'm as big as one, as strong as one, I'm a hard charger, and I knock over thingslike domino's when they get in my way. Plus, I'm THE greatest trail chef in the world.

Nean
03-23-2007, 14:49
You've got that right Emoticon Man! Did you know that e-man would be sort of, almost, but not really an anagram?

:-? ..... wellll :o I've been called worst :eek: :D

Nean
03-23-2007, 14:54
Didnt you leave a bunch of stuff at Curtis' place? He wanted to pass along to you that he still has a ton of your stuff.

:confused: Not that I know of
:-? OTOH, Curtis never came and got a ton of tin roof... (rusts);) from my place:(

Knees
03-23-2007, 15:14
I got my trail name because I'm the bee's Knees of course.

It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that I did my knees in that first day on the approach trail or that I spent the next couple of weeks limping (with both legs) in pain. I never would have talked about my knees and the pain to just about everybody around me.

I'd never admit to sitting at the Blueberry Patch being informed by Thumper and O'Connor that my trailname was Knees. Never! :eek:

I finally did catch up to and pass those two speed demons. From Hiawassee to the Mahoosuc Notch I ate their dust!

:D:D:D

Heater
03-23-2007, 15:47
i've been called "Jaybird" since i was a wee lil' hiker!

boring..huh?:D

see ya'll out there Apr 25-May 6th in VA

I guess I could go with "Running Deer" which was my Indian Guides name given to me by my Father "Walking Deer."

little bear
03-23-2007, 15:59
I was given Little Bear about 23 years ago while im Indian Guides by my father, and its something he still calls me to this day, so that is what I have picked for my trail name since it has been given to me so long ago.

dharmabum86
03-23-2007, 16:09
Mine is OJ, for now anyway. Lonewolf, Spiff, and some others gave it to me at SoRuck two years ago because I drive a white full size bronco :) I love it!

OrionTheRanger
03-23-2007, 16:49
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but whats a Trail Name?

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 16:50
Sorry for sounding like a noob, but whats a Trail Name?

An alias for the trail, so to speak.

OrionTheRanger
03-23-2007, 16:54
So like OrionTheRanger is mine? If so, can I change it? I dont want to be called that when i hike the trial.

emerald
03-23-2007, 17:07

:-? ..... wellll :o I've been called worst :eek: [reclaimed big grin]

Oh, it would just make life more complicated.:confused:

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 17:07
oriontheranger is just your username for whiteblaze.
you cannot change it. Your trailname is not related to your username at all. its hard to explain trail names, but it isn't mandatory to have a trail name, its just something that we (hikerfolk) do. There is probably a reason, but I am unaware. Maybe so people know who you are talking about. There are lots of 'John's' in this world, but only one 'Little Bear', for example.
Read the other posts in this thread. Your trail name is should be given to you by someone you are hiking with. It should be based off of something funny that happens. Or something stupid that you did.

Hope this helps.

Heater
03-23-2007, 17:08
So like OrionTheRanger is mine? If so, can I change it? I dont want to be called that when i hike the trial.

Just go by Kyle. A name should find you.

Webs
03-23-2007, 17:33
I got mine while doing the Foothills trail, where spiders webs abound and form a second skin on my face and arms. Not only that, but Webs is a nickname my dad has had for me for years...sorry, can't explain that one. :p

Big Dawg
03-23-2007, 18:13
I was given Little Bear about 23 years ago while im Indian Guides by my father, and its something he still calls me to this day, so that is what I have picked for my trail name since it has been given to me so long ago.

Indian Guides,,, man that takes me back. I was little cub and dad was big bear. Dad was a director of the YMCA back in the day, so Indian Guides was the deal, rather than boy scouts. Too cool!!

My trail name,,,,,,,, Big Dawg,,,, cause I'm BIG, the leader of "my pack", fun-lovin, loyal, and protective. Always thought Big Bear would have been appropriate too, based on the fact that I was little cub as a boy.

rafe
03-23-2007, 19:08
this album cover explains mine... plus, it relates to my hiking speed :)

cannonball
03-23-2007, 19:22
I nominate you to carry the trail name of seeker. ie, you have sought info about the trail here and have even enquired as to " what is a trail name".

tallfran
03-23-2007, 20:29
I guess I'm lame because I chose my own. I wanted a name for trailjournals.com that would indicate to the casual reader that I was an older female hiker. My name is Fran, hence Granny Franny. In reality, I have no biological grandchildren but I take care of preemies and other sick babies for a living, so I have hundreds of "temporary" grandbabies. Crutch tried to change it to Granny Fanny after an unfortunate incident with an abcess on that portion of my anatomy, but I resisted the change! (Still, the only pic of me on whiteblaze where I am identified, it calls me Granny Fanny. I blame Crutch for that, LOL...

ANHINGA
03-23-2007, 20:37
My "trial" name is probably "the accused" or "the party of the first part," but my "trail" name is altogether different. Ah, the subtle tyranny of poor spelling!:-?

Bloodroot
03-23-2007, 20:56
I got my trail name because I'm the bee's Knees of course.

It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that I did my knees in that first day on the approach trail or that I spent the next couple of weeks limping (with both legs) in pain. I never would have talked about my knees and the pain to just about everybody around me.

I'd never admit to sitting at the Blueberry Patch being informed by Thumper and O'Connor that my trailname was Knees. Never! :eek:

I finally did catch up to and pass those two speed demons. From Hiawassee to the Mahoosuc Notch I ate their dust!

:D:D:D

I hiked with them two from Shuckstack to Hot Springs. Along with them I hiked with the two Irish fellas (one named Iron Horse). Those two absolutely flew! Did you ever meet Iron Horse?

Bloodroot
03-23-2007, 21:06
I got my trailname sitting around a picnic table after eating dinner. The girl I was hiking with (Minnie) was sitting across from me and had finished eating bout the same time. (Let me back up....Minnie was hiking with a group of 5 of us guys). Anyhow before she got up to do dishes, I slid my dishes across the table to her and said, "chop-chop" (meaning as a woman, that was her role). Of course I was kidding, but the look on her face was priceless!!! Everyone else thought it was hilarous, so chop-chop stuck.

Never would have thought when I started my trailname would have turned out so cheesy. But I guess that's what distinguishes me?

Programbo
03-23-2007, 23:32
I wonder what years(s) "Trail Names" became the norm?....I don`t really recall a whole lot of people with them way back when :-?

Sleepy the Arab
03-24-2007, 00:46
Sadly, Sleepy the Arab is what I was named at birth.

Sly
03-24-2007, 01:16

Nope. Boston, actually.

Oh you're from Boston, that's explains it! :eek: :p ;)

Ramble~On
03-24-2007, 04:15
I got the nickname of Squirrel long, long ago..as I did and still do run around in the woods like a squirrel.. I was Squirrel on the AT in 1996.

SpiritWind. The name came about as I have this thing about raising my face to the sun on mountaintops....especially when there is even the slightest breeze. The wind on mountains that rustles the leaves, touches your face, blows your hair...makes that sound as it passes through conifers... Well, a friend in college once asked me why I always do that and I explained that that "breeze" is a Spirit Wind...and that wind is actually the spirits of good friends and family members. I've had more than my share of friends and family pass away way too young...That gentle breeze is their way of saying hello and my way of remembering them and feeling them with me.

prozac
03-24-2007, 17:04
The voices in my head named me. I argued with them but they just wouldn't listen. They never do. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their really not out to get me. :eek:

attroll
03-24-2007, 17:27
I have to confuse I gave myself my trail name. I was looking for something that I could use as a web site name and a trail name both. I wanted to use Troll but to many other people on the web were using the name Troll. So I had to come up with a different variation of it. Being a Appalachian Trail nut I stuck AT to the front of the name Troll and hence I became Attroll. I could probably get a trail name in the trail when I do my thru hiker but everyone knows me as Attroll now so I will just keep Attroll or Troll when I do my thru hike.

kyhiker1
03-24-2007, 19:06
My trailname was given on a section hike of TN/NC AT in 1986.Before the hike I had relatively long hair,below shoulders.One week before my hike I cut all my hair off down to 1/8".Walking and running prior to my hike on hot sunny July days I sunburned the top of my head.Second day of my hike I took off my bandana to saturate it with water and two thru hikers stopped to chat and said my head looked like fire on a mountain top,thus the trail name mountainfire.:sun

emerald
03-24-2007, 19:13
My "trial" name is probably "the accused" or "the party of the first part," but my "trail" name is altogether different. Ah, the subtle tyranny of poor spelling!:-?

You still haven't figured out that on the Appalatchin Trial all of the accused are deemed to be guilty by reason of insanity?:D The trial proceeds immediately to the punishment phase.;)

freefall
03-24-2007, 22:29
In `05, I did a weekend from Sams Gap to Iron Mtn gap. When I got to the summit of Big Bald there was lots of snow and ice. I stepped down and encountered a rock, fell forward and proceeded to slide face first down the mountain.

Around the fire that night, the hikers in front of me and the hikers behind me, decided I looked like I was trying to parachute down, only w/o deploying my `chute. It looked like I was "freefalling".

Hence the name.

emerald
03-24-2007, 23:07
When I got to the summit of Big Bald there was lots of snow and ice. I stepped down and encountered a rock, fell forward and proceeded to slide face first down the mountain.

Did you learn your lesson or has it been necessary for you to be subjected to additional punishment?:rolleyes: :D

freefall
03-24-2007, 23:27
Did you learn your lesson or has it been necessary for you to be subjected to additional punishment?:rolleyes: :D

I tried to get the gov't to let me use satelite data for the location of geographical features. Alas, to no avail. So, I am subjected daily to the aditional punishment.

An Appalachian Trial is nothing to sneeze at. :)

Rhino-lfl
03-25-2007, 10:46
The voices in my head named me. I argued with them but they just wouldn't listen. They never do. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their really not out to get me. :eek:

They're not out to get you ... I am!

cannonball
03-25-2007, 11:51
Cannonball champion at scout summer camp, 3 years in a row. How could one not use that medal of honor?:clap

Footslogger
03-25-2007, 12:08
The name "Footslogger" came about as a result of a web search ...and NO, I was not aware at the time that there was an outfitter in NC called "Footslogger's". I started with a standard Thesaurus and began looking through a list of words pertaining to walking, hiking and marching. Stumbled into the word "Footslogger" and took an immediate liking to it. Then I did an internet search to learn more about the history of the name. Turns out that it dates back to medevil times and was used to describe one of the King's foot soldiers. Being an old Airborne Infantryman myself it seems like a good fit.

After deciding on the trail name I stumbled into the following poem on the internet. It was written by the wife of a POW in WWI
=============================

The Footslogger

Here’s to the “footslogger” of the Infantry.
Who in battle has nothing in front of him, but the enemy.
You will fight, take, and hold the ground, Roosevelt said it.
You will win the war, but the Wac, Waves, and Air Corp will get the credit.
For us, there is no wonderful speeches or renown.
We are the queen of battles, but have no crown.

Come all you footsloggers roll your packs,
and put them high upon your backs.
We have a long hike ahead and we have no pay,
But when the day is done all you’ll want is to stop and hit the hay.
You don’t need money, you’ll never get it spent.
For where you go none of our fighters have not yet went.

To take that last cool drink from that French well,
Go out and meet Jerry and by God give him hell.
For with your faithful M1 and bayonet,
You’re the toughest fighter the world has seen yet.

Through artillery shelling and Air Corp bombing,
Jerry will stay,
But to hear the tramp of your advancing feet,
he will runaway.
To see us coming is what they really dread
They even leave their stinking, uncovered dead.

Your buddy is killed, dead and gone,
But his act of heroism will forever live on.
We have just one more long, long trek
And that is on the somewhat lonesome road back.
We gave them hell wherever we went,
They learned we were the toughest yet.

The war is now over, Forever finished and through?
Or will we allow them to rise up and start anew?
If we still have the infantry you can bet,
We’ll again be the toughest they have ever seen yet.
So salute the footslogger of the infantry,
Who in battle had nothing in front of him but the enemy.
================================

'Slogger

Topcat
03-25-2007, 17:12
I go backpacking with a crew of dads and sons and trial names take on an important purpose. Every time one of the kids calls for "Dad", 4 heads turn at once. It gets old.

I like my trail name, "TC" because it takes me back to my college days when i was a much happier guy.

prozac
03-25-2007, 18:46
Rhino, your just jealous cause the voices are talking to me! Sometimes to make them shut up you have to poke them with a Q-tip. :cool:

fredmugs
05-01-2007, 10:10
While Section hiking in Maine I was asked what my trail name was and I didn't have one. I was told that if I didn't come up with one I may get tagged with something unflattering so I decided to go with the name my golfing buddies gave me which is 3Putt.

It's a good thing too because while hiking in Colorado the day after eating buffalo meatloaf with gravy I was known as Intestinal Issues.

Freeleo
05-01-2007, 10:20
in a dream:sun

Bilko
05-01-2007, 10:38
Master Sergeant Ernie Bilko was a television character in the 60's. Played by Phil Silvers he was a conning friendly hustler that worked in the Air Force. He spend most of his time trying to figure out how to make a quick buck. In the 90's Steve Martin played the role of Ernie Bilko in a feature film. Both characters often replied to questions about their success in conning and hustling others with "That's why they call me, Master Sergeant."
I'm a retired Master Sergeant from the Air Force. After retiring from the Air Force, I found work at a Catholic School as an Assistant Principal, my boss, a nun, called to question my ability to get things done in unconventional ways. I replied "That's why they call me, Master Sergeant." Her reply was "OK Bilko how did you do it?" It stuck with me. Later while we discussed my hiking habits and the need of a trail name, Bilko was a logical choice.

tripp
05-01-2007, 10:45
Roots and rocks have a tendency to jump on the trail when I'm hiking by, throwing themselves under my feet and causing me to trip...a lot.

camojack
05-01-2007, 20:12
I have no idea why I was dubbed "Camo" (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo_Jack_hikes_again/aah). :-?

Anyway, my screen name is just my trail name and my nickname combined... :banana

ms doolittle
05-02-2007, 06:49
Given to me on my first backpacking trip.

We stopped for a break and a large beatle had crawled onto my pack. I removed him, but he was bound and determined to hitch a ride. So he decided to craw up my pant leg.

It wasn't until I had gotten my pack on and started walking down the trail that I felt something odd against my knee area. I reached down and felt a large lump. I hurried to remove the convertable pant and promptly discard the hitching beatle.

I was constantly playing with insects that trip (I still enjoy playing with crawlies).

Then there was the time I nearly walked into a bison standing on the trail......

generoll
05-02-2007, 07:47
I first came across trail names when I did the Standing Indian loop in March a few years ago. Everyone I met on the trail had these weird names and when I told them my name everyone wanted to know what my trail name was. At first I thought it was kinda hokey, but then I decided that when in Rome, etc...........

My wife has accused me of selective hearing loss and my favorite book is "For Whom the Bell Tolls" so I combined two the and came up with El Sordo. He was the hard of hearing bandit chief or I suppose freedom fighter, depending on your politics.

PUCK2007
05-02-2007, 16:17
first post and how better to do it then with a trail name one.
i was section hiking earlier this year and met "rattler" played leap frog with him for about three days and got to talking with him. hes from canada and i have played hockey since i was 7 so he naturally told me that my trail name should be PUCK and it stuck from then on. i was with two of my buddies and they call me PUCK more than my name.

The Owl
05-02-2007, 21:07
I'm not sure I have one. My board name, I've had that for almost a decade now, and like Puck, all my friends call me by "owl" ( I had to add the " The" since "owl" was already taken apparently!).

I'm undecided as to whether to find another name for a trail name, or just keep "owl". It'd be easier to just be me, but probably more fun to think of (or be given) something new!

I'm really enjoying this thread! Thanks to the original poster!

Miu
05-03-2007, 00:20
Wow! I didn't know Indian Guides was a real almost-boyscouts-but-not-quite organization! I saw that Chevy Chase movie "Man of the House" when I was a kid and thought Indian Guides was just some made-up club in the movie...Chevy Chase got named Squatting Dog. I sure hope I don't end up with that particular label....

yappy
05-05-2007, 14:44
i got mine on the pct in 96 from rainman..... i was hiking with he and his girlfriend.. yacking on and on about relationships on the trail and how tuff they can be... blah blah blah.. i had been yippy ..and he turned about and said you are not yippy your'e yappy ! yikes.. i was horrifed and shut up...lol...he then preceded to hike 4 miles outta his way and bring me doritos and a diet coke. i think he felt bad..:D but, alas, fiddlehead got ahold of it and it stuck... occasionally i am even happy yappy....:sun

hootyhoo
05-05-2007, 21:35
When we used to climb (trad climb) at the local crags we could not hear each other once the leader topper out because of the river noise in the gorge. So when you topped out and got tied in, you would yell Hooty Hoo. The sound travelled really good and could not be confused with other words. When the belayer heard hoooty hoo he would yell hooty hoo back, take you off belay and put his shoes on. When he got ready he would yell hooty hoo and when he heard your response 'hooty hoo' he would start climbing. If you pulled up on a ledge and yelled 'slack' it might sound like 'take', so on and soforth. Sport climbers did not top out, they had cold shuts to lower off of so they did not understand the sound problem and most of them thought I was just yelling hooty hoo for fun or something. So thats how I got to be called hooty hoo.

Photofanatic
05-05-2007, 22:02
I got mine from carrying in excess of 10 additional lbs in my pack to have the camera and lenses with me. Either I am hiking to shoot or shooting for an excuse to hike.

Gaiter
05-06-2007, 12:35
one of my mini gaiters fell out in miss. janet's van when she dropped me off for a spring break section, she said she had this image of me taking the one gaiter and switching it back and forth on my two feet, but i just wore it on one foot and had one really clean foot and one really dirty foot, so when i got back to her house she gave me the trail name 'gaiter'

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 05:24

I've always liked yours. Where did it come from?
--------------------------------------------------------
I know a lot of you guys in real life, but only know a very few of your actual given names. I've always thought that was pretty funny. Maybe not, or maybe just to me.

Either way, at 5:24 in the AM and only two hours of sleep, lots of things are funny.

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 05:41
Most people know why I'm the Nightwalker. I walk late, get up late, and just generally like the night. It was given to me in GA in '04.

If you get called something you don't like, just act like you don't hear it. If you show that it bothers you, you'll be stuck with it for life.

1500 posts as of this one. Too much time on my hands (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/styx/too+much+time+on+my+hands_20132890.html). I'm going back out tomorrow or the next day. Probably Franklin to Fontana. I hope to see some of you out there!

Cannibal
05-07-2007, 11:13
Seeing how I'm a descendant of the Donner Party and still carry a version of the name (Doner); I just couldn't resist going by Cannibal. Plus, once people hear the story, I'm sure to be well fed. :)

pokeyhontas98
05-10-2007, 12:25
My ex-hiking partner (Felix) gave me the first part of my name during our thruhike because I was a tad bit slower than the rest of the gang due to my lack of experience. The second part because of my Native American heritage. Unfortunately, the trail name speedyhontas that I later acquired didn't stick.

Gray Blazer
05-10-2007, 12:49
Most people know why I'm the Nightwalker. I walk late, get up late, and just generally like the night. It was given to me in GA in '04.

If you get called something you don't like, just act like you don't hear it. If you show that it bothers you, you'll be stuck with it for life.

1500 posts as of this one. Too much time on my hands (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/styx/too+much+time+on+my+hands_20132890.html). I'm going back out tomorrow or the next day. Probably Franklin to Fontana. I hope to see some of you out there!

I saw your pics in the gallery. Did you get those by nightwalking?

Gaiter
05-10-2007, 15:49
on my spring break section, a hiker (i'll be nice and not give his current name) got the name Cuddles, for cuddling up to another hiker, but refused to respond to it, so we gave up, it was one that could have stuck, but he didn't let it.

backfire
05-12-2007, 20:45
I got my trail name when my son and I hiked together in 2002. Had the buffet at restaurant along Springer approach trail, including lots of chili-mac. Didn't take too long and I was sounding like a car with a serious "backfire". For some reason my son wanted to lead the rest of the way.

Nightwalker
05-13-2007, 01:01
I saw your pics in the gallery. Did you get those by nightwalking?

It was before dark, but it led to sleeping, kind of, on a rock right below the tree line. That was a very long night!

fujiboots
05-13-2007, 10:04
Climbed up Mt Fuji in my Montbell boots and when I got back to my apartment I noticed they were covered in red dust from the mountain. I told my girlfriend (now wife) "Hey these are my Fuji-boots" Well I thought, what a great idea! Hiked the trail in '03 in those boots too...... There's my two cents (or would it be yens?) worth!

Uncle Silly
05-13-2007, 17:53
my trail name came about when my brother came down with a bad case of young'un's. i think he started calling me that about four months before the first one was born, and it stuck. when i started planning my hike a year later, and started thinking about trail names, it just seemed natural. works fer me i guess. :)

tombone
05-13-2007, 22:24
when i thru hiked in 76, there weren't trail names.
however, in 87, perhaps 88, while sitting in a pit orchestra, playing a show that featured brenda lee, the hornist, who was seated next to me, turned during a rest and poked a finger into my shoulder and said 'tombone!'...and cackled in her own inimitable way...the moniker stuck.

btw, itza combo of my first name and main axe...