PDA

View Full Version : Record Breakers

Trailers
03-22-2007, 17:59
Was just looking through some photos in the gallery and seen that Heald has walked the trail 8 times according to a comment :eek:

what is the most times someone has walked it?

what is the most yoyos someone has done?

whats the quickest through hike?

whats another fact that will shock and awe?

i once ate so much food i couldn't move and found it difficult to breathe automatically

Pedaling Fool
03-22-2007, 18:16
Whatever the numbers are, they're inflated. Too many people lie, many don't even know they are lying, because the easiest person to lie to, is yourself.

Don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, it’s just a fact of life. Nor do I question any claims.

I've had two UFO sightings.

Trailers
03-22-2007, 18:54
very true. i wouldnt even be planning an AT thru hike if it wasnt for lying to myself....well that another story.

I also had a UFO sighting....pink glowing ball flew across the sky, utterly straight, utterly silent. couldnt have been anything, dont think it was aliens but nothing explains it, my bro was there too, more dumbfounded than i

rafe
03-22-2007, 18:58
The trail is for recreation. Not for breaking records. You want to compete, there are a lot of venues for that out in the "real world". The AT's very purpose is to provide a refuge from all that.

saimyoji
03-22-2007, 19:20
I hold the record for fastest trek between my front door and the trail. :D

Trailers
03-22-2007, 19:38
The trail is for recreation. Not for breaking records. You want to compete, there are a lot of venues for that out in the "real world". The AT's very purpose is to provide a refuge from all that.

next time i think about asking some light hearted, fun, if you like questions about something i have just recently discovered and developed a genuine interest in to the level of wanting to experience. when i wish to ask about a part of that subject, that people who take said interest to an extreme, next time i think about enquiring about said subject, i shall stop, heed the words of a pompus git and just not bother because its just not in the spirit of things.

lighten up mate

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 19:42
next time i think about asking some light hearted, fun, if you like questions about something i have just recently discovered and developed a genuine interest in to the level of wanting to experience. when i wish to ask about a part of that subject, that people who take said interest to an extreme, next time i think about enquiring about said subject, i shall stop, heed the words of a pompus git and just not bother because its just not in the spirit of things.

lighten up mate

Well put, Trailers.

bfitz
03-22-2007, 19:56
Competition is good for the soul.

Topcat
03-22-2007, 20:01
Heald says one of my favorite lines in "2000 Miles to Maine". He holds up a Snickers wrapper and announces that he doesnt really eat Snickers bars, he "takes them, like a pill". I never looked at a Snickers the same since.

I assume it is the same Heald as i saw Wonder Dog in the movie too

Bloodroot
03-22-2007, 20:11

I think the question is legitimate. Just because your belief is that it doesn't mean that's others take. Not everyone seeks refuge from the real world.

Gray Blazer
03-22-2007, 20:13
I guess if you hike the trail 9 times you have a good chance of meeting more people. I've actually met Heald (and Annie) and gave him a snickers (the old fashioned way not the new broke-back way). I actually have a pic of them in my gallery. I was passed by Squeaky one time on his record breaking trek. He was moving too fast to get a pic.

Gray Blazer
03-22-2007, 20:16

I said something like that in one of my first posts here at WB. I learned about being flamed. Now that I think of it, I probably hold the record for being flamed the quickest.

saimyoji
03-22-2007, 20:17

Where can I get a Trail Use Regulator certification? :rolleyes:

rafe
03-22-2007, 20:22
I said something like that in one of my first posts here at WB. I learned about being flamed. Now that I think of it, I probably hold the record for being flamed the quickest.

I thought for a while (long ago) that I was surely the most anal... but I've been outdone, many times over.

Gray Blazer
03-22-2007, 20:27
I thought for a while (long ago) that I was surely the most anal... but I've been outdone, many times over.
I remember that. I think it's better to be anal than anal expulsive.

The Scribe
03-22-2007, 21:29
Was just looking through some photos in the gallery and seen that Heald has walked the trail 8 times according to a comment :eek:

what is the most times someone has walked it?

A serious answer?
I read in the ATC magazine not that long ago that our own Baltimore Jack is on record as officially thru-hiking the most times. Was it eight?

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2007, 21:33
The magazine was in error.

They were referring to hikes registered at the ATC office, and not everyone registers their hikes upon completion.

Warren Doyle has walked the Trail the most times; I believe the figure is 14.

warren doyle
03-22-2007, 21:33

Q: what is the most times someone has walked it?
A: The most times anyone has walked the entire trail is 14 times (i.e., 8 thrus and 6 section hikes) and I will finish my 15th trek (section hike) on 4/4/10 and my 16th trek (thru-hike) in early Sept. 2010.

Q: what is the most yoyos someone has done?
A: To the best of my knowledge,there have been two people who have done triple yo-yo's on the AT - Steve Nuckolls and Ward Leonard. Eagle/No Sense may become the third triple yo-yoer this season.

Q: whats the quickest through hike?
A: The endurance record for the AT is slightly over 47.5 days and was set by Andrew Thompson (Trail Dawg) during the summer of 2005 on his fourth record attempt.

Q: whats another fact that will shock and awe?
A: In my opinion, whoever becomes the first person to walk the entire AT four times in one calendar year.

rickb
03-22-2007, 21:37
Jack might be the one who has backpacked the entire as a thru hiker most.

warren doyle
03-22-2007, 21:54

I believe that distinction would belong to Ward Leonard (i.e., ten).

However, Mr. Tarlin might have the distinction of backpacking (thru-hiking) the entire trail the most consecutive years (i.e., seven).

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 21:54

Oops.

You said the 'B' word.