PDA

View Full Version : Ride Wanted

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2007, 20:30
I just spent a very unproductive half hour in Automated Voice Service hell courtesy of Amtrak, only to make the wonderful discovery that the only Train that serves my neck of the woods doesn't accept checked baggage at all and that my sole piece of baggage (i.e. my backpack) is too big to be considered "Carry-On".

So no Train for me.

The idea of 12 hours in a Greyhound isn't very appealing either.

So....

Anybody heading South from New England in the next few days or early next week?

I'm presently in Hanover NH and need to get to either Philadelphia, Washington DC, or Northern Virginia. Would love to travel Sunday the 25th but am flexible and can certainly wait til next week sometime.

Will happily pay for our travel costs (I'd have been paying for a Train ticket anyway); if anyone is heading South in the next few days and would like some travel company and the trip paid for, please get in touch.

Appalachian Tater
03-22-2007, 20:41
Jack, I hope you catch a ride, but no one at Amtrak will say anything to you about the size of your pack. If it won't fit in the overhead rack, there is room at the end of the car for it. You won't be the only one with oversized luggage. They flat out just don't enforce it, but they will tell you the official rules if you ask.

Of course, I haven't actually tried it myself, only observed others.

Tin Man
03-22-2007, 20:47
The timing may not work for you, but I am leaving CT for Philly tomorrow late afternoon or early evening. If you can get to Hartford/Waterbury/ Danbury CT in that time frame, I would happily drive you to Philly - no charge.

warraghiyagey
03-22-2007, 20:48
Hey Jack,

A Tater is right. I took Amtrak for 300 miles last spring with my pack and kept it with me at the front of the car. It's true they are very lenient with 'packers' if not outright welcoming. Had a good experience.
Met you last August in Hanover. Hope to see you on the trail this summer.
BTW, are you not taking the plane because you are afraid some one will come up to you and say Hi. . . Jack?
Get it?
Hahahahahahahaha, I crack myself up.
Peace:) :) :)

Warraghiyagey
SOBO 6/07

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2007, 20:49
Thanx TM, but that's too soon, still have a few last-minute things to wrap up here. Too bad, tho, that would've been perfect.

Obsidian
03-22-2007, 21:34
if there is no checked baggage at your station, they have rooms (the old smoking cars) or racks that they'll put your bags in it. I've taken huge suitcases and a huge backpacks on without problems.

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2007, 21:36
This is all good to know; may go with the Train after all. Thanks to all who posted.

atkentucky
03-24-2007, 02:55
Have you seen the size of Jack's pack. It can hold 2 adult midgets comfortably with room for a flat screen TV. He may require a private car :)

Whats up Jack. Last time i saw you was in Hanover in October 05 after me and Snackman finished the trail.

--kentucky

TOW
03-24-2007, 08:42
Hey Jack, back in '05 about this time of year I took Amtrak from Harpers Ferry to Kansas City with a Dana Designe Longbed riding right beside me. Perhaps they will let you carry your pack on?

I didn't even know about those rules either until I got to Kansas City.........

StarLyte
03-24-2007, 08:48
Have you seen the size of Jack's pack. It can hold 2 adult midgets comfortably with room for a flat screen TV. He may require a private car :)

--kentucky

Oh yeah....didn't you say you hid a woman in that pack once Jack?

Wish I were available to take you - the ride would be real nice with you.

TJ aka Teej
03-24-2007, 09:45
I can give you a ride to Katahdin sometime between May 14th and June 1st. Time to become a GAMEr, Jack! :D

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2007, 15:36
Note to Star Lyte.....

What you say did indeed happen, but truth be told, it was a small woman.

It's really amazing what you can accomplish when you have 110 Liters of space to work with.

Go Osprey!!

Mother Nature
03-24-2007, 15:39
Jack,

Mrs Gorp is heading south from VT to start a bike ride on April 1 in VA. Maybe she can help?

MN

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2007, 15:40
Too late, wanna be on Springer around then, but I think things are well in hand. Outta here tomorrow morning, thanx to one and all for your ideas and suggestions, see some of you in Dixie!

TOW
03-24-2007, 19:18
Jack, I hope your knees hold up.............