PDA

View Full Version : best socks for hiking ????

Crazy_Al
03-22-2007, 21:46
What are the best socks for hiking ????

warraghiyagey
03-22-2007, 21:56
I'm sure that there will be many different brands spoken of but I found that my hike changed dramatically when I took friends advice and started wearing sock liners. Just little light ankle socks that absorb most of the friction that usually becomes blisters.
These same friends were in favor of smart wool for the over sock and I liked them when I tried them. Probably will this year too.
Hope this helps.:)
Peace
Warraghiyagey
SOBO 6/07

rafe
03-22-2007, 22:00
Bridgedale socks. Very tight weave. Like these (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0,11313_Bridgedale-Extreme-Hiking-Socks-Merino-Wool-For-Men-and-Women.html).

shoe
03-22-2007, 22:02
I'm a Thorlo girl with no liners. I get blisters if I use liners :shrug:

Hikerhead
03-22-2007, 22:03
Ask Kerosene what's the best. He owns at least one pair of socks that were every made.

warraghiyagey
03-22-2007, 22:05
I'm a Thorlo girl with no liners. I get blisters if I use liners :shrug:

What are Thorlos? I'm not too lazy to look it up, just thought you could give a better description more quickly. BTW, liked your advice for Victoria - gracefully put.:) :)
Peace

gold bond
03-22-2007, 22:40
I like Ingenious socks. Suppose to be a sock with a liner built in. Kind of expensive so I usually just get the Smart Wools.

shoe
03-22-2007, 22:56
What are Thorlos? I'm not too lazy to look it up, just thought you could give a better description more quickly. BTW, liked your advice for Victoria - gracefully put.:) :)
Peace

Thorlos are a brand of socks. and thanks :)

Almost There
03-22-2007, 22:57
Depend on the shoes you hike in. Do you hike in boots or trailrunners. Used to swear by Smartwool and liners for boots, but now that I switched to runners I go with ankle patagonia lightweight socks, no liner!

The other question is what time of year you are hiking. I will go with Smartwools in the winter and other cold months, summer they're overkill.

Aswah
03-22-2007, 23:30
i use only liners... they dry quick, wash quick...

Footslogger
03-22-2007, 23:31
Hard to beat Thorlo Light Hikers with Coolmax.

Bought several pair prior to my thru in 2003 from this on-line vendor. Kept the spares in my bounce box.

http://www.sockcompany.com/thorlighikwc.html

Free delivery on orders over $55

'Slogger

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 23:39
Smartwools. My wife likes Bridgedales. She wears them instead of slippers in the winter.

rafe
03-22-2007, 23:50
Smartwools. My wife likes Bridgedales. She wears them instead of slippers in the winter.

I've got lots of ThorLos, and I used to think they were the cat's meow. They're pretty damned good, no question about it. Bridgedales are harder to find at retail outlets. The one pair I have are amazing, and they're far tougher (noticeably tighter weave) than any of my ThorLos.

hammock engineer
03-22-2007, 23:53
I wear whatever smartwools campmor has for cheap. I love the feel of them. They also do not hold the smells as much. So far smartwools and trail runners work for me.

My advice is to order some different ones from campmor or stp and see what you like.

refreeman
03-23-2007, 00:01
SMARTWOOL - expedition hiker, cured my blister problems

bfitz
03-23-2007, 00:09
Varies, often I use pantyhose as anti-chafing skivvies, cut off the lower legs and use the footies as liners, all very sheer and low-friction, then wear light non-cotton thin dress socks. All cheap, super light, and can be replaced during ressupply easily.

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 03:03
Thorlos are a brand of socks. and thanks :)

I gathered that they're socks. Wondering if you know what fiber mix they are, how dryable, you know that kind of info.
And, you're welcome.:) :) :)
SOBO6/07

rafe
03-23-2007, 06:47
I gathered that they're socks. Wondering if you know what fiber mix they are, how dryable, you know that kind of info.
And, you're welcome.:) :) :)
SOBO6/07

ThorLos come in all sorts of flavors. Here's their website (http://www.thorlo.com/ws6/socks.php). (Google is your friend.)

saimyoji
03-23-2007, 10:03
When my boots were new I needed two pairs of nylon dress socks (tried the expensive "hiking" sock, nothing worked as well as a cheap-$2- pair of Wally world dress socks), now that my boots and feet are all matched up, I can wear any sock and have no problems. I only have to consider the temperature: thin socks for hot days, warm socks for cold days. :p

illusionistG
03-23-2007, 10:10
Wigwam Wool "Light Hiker" main sock with Wigwam "Gobi" poly liner. No sweat, no blisters, and easy to wash with quick drying

max patch
03-23-2007, 10:26
When I wore lightweight boots I used thorlos. No blisters on my thru if you need an endorsement.

Now that I wear trailrunners I use a double (2 layers in one sock) coolmax running sock. No blisters on that setup yet either.

Kerosene
03-23-2007, 10:42
Ask Kerosene what's the best. He owns at least one pair of socks that were every made.Actually I do own a number of different brands as I've tried to figure out how to hike with sweaty feet.

I lean toward SmartWool Light Hikers (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=5732&parent_category_rn=4501773&vcat=REI_SEARCH) with Fox River X-Static Liners (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1022604&parent_category_rn=4501316&vcat=REI_SEARCH). I swap out the liners every few hours and they have a chance of drying out on my pack or overnight. I also carry a few pairs of Injinji Tetrasocs (http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/outdoor_c.htm) with individual toes as I sometimes get blisters on top of and between my toes.

max patch
03-23-2007, 10:57
I also carry a few pairs of Injinji Tetrasocs (http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/outdoor_c.htm) with individual toes as I sometimes get blisters on top of and between my toes.

My father used to get blisters between his toes. Problem solved after he started using injinjis.

atbeatle
03-23-2007, 11:26
Whatever socks are comfortable with wicking qualities will work, but it is very important to use two layers, an inner light sock and an outer heavier sock. This way you can adjust socks to weather and/or swelling of feet. also it is important to have several sets to clean and dry out, especially the inner sock (thin are easier to clean and dry quickly)

shoe
03-23-2007, 12:18
And, you're welcome.:)
SOBO6/07

Well no one said I was real smart ;) I did respond fairly late into the evening
I don't know what they are. I can't find the packaging right now.
I do know they have coolmax in them and I think they are synthetic.
Now I got to clean and find the packaging oe it will bug me for the rest of the day to know exactly what is in my socks. :rolleyes:

Miner
03-23-2007, 15:41
I love Wrightsocks (http://www.wrightsock.com/). They are double layered (i.e. have a build in liner sock) and dry quickly. I normally rotate 2 pairs of socks every time I stop for a rest and let them dry on the outside of my pack as I hike.

Peaks
03-23-2007, 16:10
Like all gear, there are many different brands out there, and there is no concensious which one if best. Almost any good hiking sock will work. But the old ragg wool sock is probably not the best. And certainly a thread bare or worn out sock will probably not work well.

That being said, the natural fiber socks (such as smartwool) stink much less than a synthetic sock (like Ultramax).

The debate about liners goes on. Again, some use them, some don't . Some say they may help, some say they don't. My advice is that they certainly can't hurt, and may even help, especially before your feet get totally conditioned. I'd recommend using liners with yours socks when buying boots, and then be prepared to ditch the liners when the boots get a little tight later.

Johnny Swank
03-23-2007, 16:43
2 pairs of cheap nylon/poly dress socks from the Dollar Store (Black, to complete the entire look). I've never had a blister with these things, they dry quick, and cost damn near nothing.

Thick generic merino wool socks to sleep in.

BigCat
03-23-2007, 16:58
I like Ingenious socks. Suppose to be a sock with a liner built in. Kind of expensive so I usually just get the Smart Wools.

I juts bought a pair of those and I really like them. Luckily the weather in southern Va was crazy enough to test them on a 40º and 82º day in the same week. They kept me warm and cool, respectively.

PS - I wear NB 810's

Sticks41
03-23-2007, 17:17
http://www.backcountry.com/store/SWL0080/SmartWool-Adrenaline-Light-Micro-Sock.html

I am about t o purchase a couple pairs of these. Smartwool. Look great.

warraghiyagey
03-23-2007, 18:53
Well no one said I was real smart ;) I did respond fairly late into the evening
I don't know what they are. I can't find the packaging right now.
I do know they have coolmax in them and I think they are synthetic.
Now I got to clean and find the packaging oe it will bug me for the rest of the day to know exactly what is in my socks. :rolleyes:

That made me laugh. But now I'm starting to feel a little lazy as T Too pointed at that "Google is my friend." Anyway, you say you're a "Thorlo girl" so I'm gonna check them out.:) :)
Peace
SOBO7

Earl Grey
03-25-2007, 23:16
Just today I bought a pair of REI wool light hiking socks. I own some smartwools but these were like half the price and mini crew to boot. They also have the same amount of merino wool as the smartwools. Ill hike in them soon.

hopefulhiker
03-26-2007, 07:17
I like Thorlos. They make them here in NC. They have a factory outlet in Statesville off I77 for seconds...

soleful
03-26-2007, 11:02
I highly recommend Thorlos for wet weather. I tend to like the Smart Wool for drier weather.

Both are excellent choices.

More advice: Try several brands, because they tend to pad/reinforce them differently. For example I like a little more padding on the instep whereas someone else may go for thicker padding on the heel.

Also, buy your socks a size under your shoe size. This will allow for stretch and then you won't have excess material in your shoe, which can cause blisters.

That's all I have.

LostInSpace
03-26-2007, 20:46
I have been using Bridgedale socks for the last ten years. Currently, I prefer the "Light Hiker" (45% CoolMax, 34% Merino Wool, 20% Nylon, 1% Lycra). I also have four pairs of the predecessor of what is now called the "A.T. Boot Plus" (48% CoolMax, 30% Merino Wool, 21% Nylon, 1% Lycra). It is a little heavier than the the Light Hiker. I like the Bridgedale socks better than any other socks I have used. My second choice is SmartWool, which I seem to like better than the Thorlos. You can buy Bridgedales (and most other brands) discounted at the Sock Company (http://www.sockcompany.com/****r.html).

Moon Monster
03-26-2007, 22:37
I love Wrightsocks (http://www.wrightsock.com/). They are double layered (i.e. have a build in liner sock) and dry quickly. I normally rotate 2 pairs of socks every time I stop for a rest and let them dry on the outside of my pack as I hike.

These are often highly regarded. However, I blew holes in the heels of a pair on the Tahoe Rim Trail after just 40 miles in them. Continued to wear them because I was in for 8 days, and then blew out the little toe area on both later in the week. Some worn spots on the bottom as well. These holes were all the way through both layers.

Pokey2006
03-27-2007, 00:38
For me, the REI socks were the ones that blew holes in them...lasted only a few weeks on the trail. Thorlos have gone several hundred miles without a hint of a hole (more durable than REI), BUT, they stink to high heaven, especially after hiking in the rain. Plus, for some reason they too forever to dry out.

Because of smell issues, and because they are quick-drying, I now only wear 100 percent wool socks. To each their own, though. Experiment -- bring a couple different kind of socks along and play around with them -- to see what works best for you.

Crazy_Al
03-27-2007, 09:48
Notice that no one has mentioned TEKO brand socks.
SmartWool and Throlo are mentioned most often.
Bridgedale has a small following.

Popularity order appears to be
1) SmartWool
2) Throlo
3) Bridgedale

Yahtzee
03-27-2007, 10:11
Some people are mosquito magnets, others are tick magnets. If you are prone to attracting ticks, as I am, I would recommend Thorlos. Ticks think Smartwools are animals and they attach very easily. Once I switched to Thorlos, the problem almost completely stopped.

Smartwools are comfortable, tho.

weary
03-27-2007, 11:23
ThorLos come in all sorts of flavors. Here's their website (http://www.thorlo.com/ws6/socks.php). (Google is your friend.)
Thorlo's solved my blister problem in 1993 and I've worn them ever since in one flavor or another. I've also experimented with Smartwool, but Thorlos, pronounced thurlo, are a bit cheaper, and work fine.

They are made in Statesville, NC, and have a factory store there. Whenever I'm within a hundred miles of Statesville I stop and buy a batch. The store has first quality and alleged seconds. I've never been able to tell the difference, so I buy the half price version.

Weary

Miner
03-27-2007, 15:41
These are often highly regarded. However, I blew holes in the heels of a pair on the Tahoe Rim Trail after just 40 miles in them. Continued to wear them because I was in for 8 days, and then blew out the little toe area on both later in the week. Some worn spots on the bottom as well. These holes were all the way through both layers.
Really? Which model of sock did you have as they have a large catalog of socks?

NoKnees
03-27-2007, 16:27
Over the years I have used Thor Lo and smartwool. For me the biggest change was going from a heavy boot/trekking sock combo to a lighter hiking shoe and lightweight (often ankle high) socks. I like the smartwool or the REI mereno wool version of the lieghtweight socks. I go to the higher cut if its ticky or snowy/very muddy.

What I like about the lightweight combo is.

the shoes dry quick and are less heavy when wet. I spent some time hiking out west and wading rivers was part of the hike.

The socks take up less room and weight in your pack.

The socks are easier to wash on the trail and dry faster.

Since going light on the footware my blisters have stopped and I thought my feet would get banged up.. but I shed 30lbs out of my pack at the same time and now my feet get less beatup thanthey did in heavier full boots.

troglobil
03-27-2007, 16:36
My vote goes for Smartwool lightwieght hikers and Fox River X-Static liners. Never a blister with this combo inside my HiTec Altitude II's. I don't wear trail runners, so no comment for them.

weary
03-27-2007, 17:30
Whatever socks are comfortable with wicking qualities will work, but it is very important to use two layers, an inner light sock and an outer heavier sock. This way you can adjust socks to weather and/or swelling of feet. also it is important to have several sets to clean and dry out, especially the inner sock (thin are easier to clean and dry quickly)
An inner layer is not necessary if you wear Thorlo socks with properly fitted boots, in my experience, which confirms a company claim.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 20:07
I like Thorlos. They make them here in NC. They have a factory outlet in Statesville off I77 for seconds...

Thorlo HQ is in Statesville.
Years ago on my way back from a trip to SNP I stopped and loaded up on some Thorlos. They had both seconds and first quality. Of all the socks I've worn the Thorlo "Light Hiker" sock is my sock-of-choice.