PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone coverage, Kincora to Damascus

Big Dawg
03-23-2007, 12:28
OK cell phone haters, no ribbin. I normally don't take a cell w/ me on hikes,,,,, but,,,,, I own/operate a landscape business, have done/will do plenty of marketing this season,,, and will also be joining my thru hiker friend, Diablo, in about a week for a section from Kincora to Damascus. I don't want to wait and return messages of prospective clients after the trip. Immediate, same-day return call is best for new business. My plan is to check messages/make calls once a day (of course, out of ear shot from any hiker). I'm hoping for excellent cell coverage in this section. Anybody.....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-23-2007, 13:14
We didn't have any coverage with US Cellular in the Kincora area about 1.5 yrs ago and none in Damascus with US Cellular or Cingular. Did get a signal last year in the wild pony area at Grayson Highlands with Cingular.

Footslogger
03-23-2007, 13:19
Same with Verizon. Nada until we got into Damascus.

'Slogger

firemountain
03-23-2007, 19:04
I have cingular and got no reception between pearisburg and the south end of the smokies (except at the shelter in laurel fork gorge). Biggest service gap in the south.

Lugnut
03-23-2007, 19:17
Zero at Kincora, spotty from Vanderventer to Abingdon Gap and sometimes in Damascus. I had Verizon at the time.

mts4602
03-23-2007, 21:00
Why is it that people hate others taking cell phones with them? If you don't use it except for an emergency then whats the big deal. The only prob I could see is others getting upset at people talking on them at shelters since everyone is in there together, like trying to get sleep or something.

I don't see getting upset about it, I take mine with me anytime I'm going somewhere where I could need it in an emergency.

firemountain
03-23-2007, 22:55
Was not an issue for me as I did a fall/winter SOBO, but I always practive LNT cell phone usage. I don't care to hear others conversations...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-24-2007, 07:38
Big Dawg, since this is a business thing you might want to look into renting a satellite phone for a month - and having your cell number forwarded to that or having someone else take care of calls that come in that week. You won't have the coverage needed to do it yourself in that section.

Rain Man
03-24-2007, 11:38
,,,, I own/operate a landscape business, have done/will do plenty of marketing this season,,. I don't want to wait and return messages of prospective clients after the trip. Immediate, same-day return call is best for new business. My plan is to check messages/make calls once a day (of course, out of ear shot from any hiker). I'm hoping for excellent cell coverage in this section. Anybody.....

If you do consider a satellite phone, check with these folks--
http://www.outfittersatellite.com/

Although they have excellent "footprints" (satellite's coverage area) in North America, you still have to get line-of-sight, so being down in a holler or behind a mountain might even kill satellite phone service. Outfitter Satellite can explain all that to you.

Rain:sunMan

P.S. In the interests of full disclosure, I'm their legal counsel. :)

Big Dawg
03-25-2007, 07:47
Thanks all,,,, I'll prolly have calls forwarded to my wife, and let her set appointments.

My friend Diablo is rockin on the trail,,,, started 2/28 and just arrived in Erwin, TN yesterday. He's havin a great time. Can't wait to meet up w/ him at Kincora!