PDA

View Full Version : Water along the trail...

Touch of Grey
03-24-2007, 15:18
Maybe someone can answer this for me.

It seems the locals down in Georgia are well aware of where all of the water is along the AT that they can get to.

That said, I suffered from a dehydration issue, of my own making of course, that could have been alleviated if some possibly better information was available. Take for instance the section from Hawk Mountain Shelter to Justus Creek/Gooch Mountain Shelter where the Companion state that there is no water aavailable after you leave Hawk until you get to Justus Creek or about 6.3 miles after crossing Horse Gap, Sassafras MT. Cooper Gap, Justus Mountain, etc. and yet I was tod that there at Cooper where I got off that there was water available just 100 yards down the road. (Not ATC property it was said but water just the same.) Is this an oversight on the part of the people who put together the companion and other guides or is this on purpose because it is not on ATC property?

It almost seemed as if the only water maked was either down a Blue blaze trail or was physically crossed by the AT. And yet I heard water in many areas where there was no marked water in the guide. Yes I would be hard pressed to go down the side of some of the ridges I was walking on to get at the water and then reclimb the steep incline back up to continue but for someone in trouble for water the fact that water is near could very well make the difference.

Again YES, I take full responsibility for my mistakes of not hydrating enough before beginning my day and at the end of the day which put me specifically in peril. But again knowing that there may be water available though questionable at times as too it's availability and usage would be a better service possibly to all in my mind. Friday Morning March 16 after Thursday nights rains had water flowing down the sides of most of the mountains between Woody Gap and Neels Gap making that section a joy to hike considering the fact that again the companion says that water is not available after Woody until Jarrard Gap or so.

Is there a specific reason this seems to be the case?

TOG:-?

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2007, 15:44
There's usually all sorts of "run-off" water (from snow-melt, etc.) in Georgia in late March and early April, i.e. there's all sorts of available agua all over the place in addition to listed sources. But when in doubt, especially if it's warm weather, I carry an extra quart. Better to have it and not need it than the other way 'round.

Dances with Mice
03-24-2007, 15:51
The guide has to be written for all seasons. Unreliable sources, ones that dry up most summers, are usually not listed so that people won't depend on finding water at a location then arrive to find a dry spring.

What looks to be a nice flowing spring in the Spring season in Georgia may be just a dustbowl in September.

rafe
03-24-2007, 16:13
TOG, get used to it. Finding reliable water, knowing where to "take" it and how much to carry at any given time, will be one of the bigger challenges of your hike. And it'll only get worse as the spring turns to summer.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2007, 18:56
Maybe someone can answer this for me.

It seems the locals down in Georgia are well aware of where all of the water is along the AT that they can get to.

That said, I suffered from a dehydration issue, of my own making of course, that could have been alleviated if some possibly better information was available. Take for instance the section from Hawk Mountain Shelter to Justus Creek/Gooch Mountain Shelter where the Companion state that there is no water aavailable after you leave Hawk until you get to Justus Creek or about 6.3 miles after crossing Horse Gap, Sassafras MT. Cooper Gap, Justus Mountain, etc. and yet I was tod that there at Cooper where I got off that there was water available just 100 yards down the road. (Not ATC property it was said but water just the same.) Is this an oversight on the part of the people who put together the companion and other guides or is this on purpose because it is not on ATC property?

It almost seemed as if the only water maked was either down a Blue blaze trail or was physically crossed by the AT. And yet I heard water in many areas where there was no marked water in the guide. Yes I would be hard pressed to go down the side of some of the ridges I was walking on to get at the water and then reclimb the steep incline back up to continue but for someone in trouble for water the fact that water is near could very well make the difference.

Again YES, I take full responsibility for my mistakes of not hydrating enough before beginning my day and at the end of the day which put me specifically in peril. But again knowing that there may be water available though questionable at times as too it's availability and usage would be a better service possibly to all in my mind. Friday Morning March 16 after Thursday nights rains had water flowing down the sides of most of the mountains between Woody Gap and Neels Gap making that section a joy to hike considering the fact that again the companion says that water is not available after Woody until Jarrard Gap or so.

Is there a specific reason this seems to be the case?

TOG:-?

there is water .7 down fs 42. a good sized stream. i walked the road the other day to justus creek.

Jester2000
03-28-2007, 19:22
As Dances said, water sources listed in the Companion and elsewhere have to be reliable sources, but if you think about it, listing every single water source anywhere near the trail would take a book about 2100 pages long. There's just very little need for that kind of detail, and you wouldn't be willing to carry a book that was that large anyway.

And anyhow, what makes you think the folks in Georgia want you drinkin' all their water?

Dances with Mice
03-28-2007, 22:05
there is water .7 down fs 42. a good sized stream. i walked the road the other day to justus creek.It even has a cute little waterfall there. So you know the super sekrit back way to Justus / Gooch Mtn, eh? The wide place in the road with fresh loads of dirt hauled in to block ORV's are kind of a giveaway.

If, uh, you don't know that way then forget I said anything.

Appalachian Tater
03-28-2007, 22:26
When you get to Pennsylvania you will need to be very careful about water in places at there is none, or it is hard to get to it, or both.

fiddlehead
03-28-2007, 22:36
Camel up if you don't like going down steep trails to find water. because THAt's where the water usually is: down the mtn.
When i camel up at a water source, i know for my body and experience, i can go 7 miles without needing another drink. (unless of course i am cooking/sleeping/eating)