PDA

View Full Version : chestnut knob

rainmaker
08-21-2003, 21:31
We're planning to stay at or near the Chestnut Knob shelter in October. What is the water situation ?

Lugnut
08-22-2003, 00:36
I think a lot of the guides say there is no water there. That's correct, but there is a small "pond" just to the south not too far. Water to the north is a ways. I fell for that no water thing and carried mine coming from the north then walked past the pond leaving the next morning. Not a happy time but I was at least going down hill! :)

celt
08-22-2003, 06:01
The spring-fed pond is 1.8 miles south of the shelter. The next water north is 1.3 miles at Walker Gap.

The Companion says there is sometimes water found 0.2 miles south of the shelter then 50 yds left on an old jeep road.

Grimace
08-22-2003, 08:34
There was plenty of water on that jeep road when we went by in late Sept. It is a pretty steep climb from there to the shelter.

Kozmic Zian
02-08-2004, 11:57
I think a lot of the guides say there is no water there. That's correct, but there is a small "pond" just to the south not too far. Water to the north is a ways. I fell for that no water thing and carried mine coming from the north then walked past the pond leaving the next morning. Not a happy time but I was at least going down hill! :)

Man, you guys....that water at da pond s. o' Chestnut Knob is some of the best, clear, beautiful water on Da Trail...be sure to hit dis spring on da way up to da Knob....The Shelter is rather small, bein' an oldie (made of stone) but ders a nice flat area to camp on...kinda exposed do...watch da wind. The views into da Menonite valley below are beautius indeed. Enjoy......KZ@

bearbait2k4
02-11-2004, 15:07
Awesome shelter.

I wouldn't depend on the jeep road water, as it tends to dry up a lot. The walk from the pond to the shelter is a nice, flat walk, though.

BlackCloud
07-15-2004, 20:23
My vote is not to rely on the pool of water just south of the shelter. In 11/03 it was quite dry & didn't look very appealing.

Spring-Pond to the south (downhill) is awesome......

Kerosene
09-05-2005, 19:11
The spring-fed pond is 1.8 miles south of the shelter. The next water north is 1.3 miles at Walker Gap.Even in Walker Gap it wasn't clear where any water could be found in early June 2005 after a rainy day.

There was a small spring alongside the Trail perhaps half a mile south of the meadow if you want to avoid the spring-fed pond.

TexasEd
08-23-2010, 17:29
August 2010

Pond 1.8 miles south of Shelter was full in 95 degree heat. Plenty of Apple trees in the area for supplemental food when they are ripe.

The chestnut ridge walk is long and exposed with very few trees for about 3 miles.

Heading North, when you get close to the shelter you have to leave the Jeep path and veer left. I did not find a blaze near the path anywhere within 200 yards.

Shelter is a 4 walled shelter with a door. There are bunk beds on the inside.

View of the valley was obstructed by trees growing up in the sight lines. Best view was about .75 miles South of VA 623.

We did not find any water over that stretch.

Rain Man
08-24-2010, 17:20
Pond 1.8 miles south of Shelter was full in 95 degree heat.

Don't forget, this pond is spring-fed and the spring is in a concrete box in the woods on the north end of the pond. No need to take water from the pond itself.

I was there this past Saturday afternoon. :) Also, the trail had just been mowed in the past week. Nice!

There is a much smaller "pond" much closer to the shelter, so don't be confused on which is which. One is about 100 feet across, on is about 10 feet across.

Rain:sunMan

Berserker
03-18-2011, 12:29
What is the area around this shelter like for tenting? Any good space around the shelter or within close proximity to the shelter either South or North on the AT?

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 12:42
What is the area around this shelter like for tenting? Any good space around the shelter or within close proximity to the shelter either South or North on the AT?

Plenty of space - the shelter sits on a knoll in an open grassy area. Camping in a tent is better IMO because there's lot of mice in the Shelter and I found the odor inside rather stagnating.

hikemikehike
04-08-2011, 23:27
+1 on sleeping in the tent its neat looking but not so inviting for slumber... IMO

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 12:57
Don't forget, this pond is spring-fed and the spring is in a concrete box in the woods on the north end of the pond. No need to take water from the pond itself.

I wish I had know this. We decided against filling up at the pond because the banks were overgrown with tall grass and we could have used the water hiking along the ridge.

Trail Bug
04-12-2011, 13:13
The mice own that shelter. They do not even wait for it to get dark before coming out.