PDA

View Full Version : Man Vs. Wild and his canteen

Rhino-lfl
03-25-2007, 10:56
Has anyone ever seen that show? Anyway, he as this canteen that is made of some type of metal and has the part with the cap, but somehow converts to a cup that you can boil water in and stuff. Does anyone know what this is or where to get one?

DareN
03-25-2007, 11:54
I love the show. Check at an Army Navy type store, they have them. It is a regular hard plastic canteen with a separate mug with handles that slips up right over the bottom of it so that it is hardly noticeable at all. I want one also, they just aren't the lightest option available. I think that he has one up on Survivorman, even though Survivorman carries all his own camera equipment. While you are there, buy some paracord!

Rhino-lfl
03-25-2007, 12:01
I love the show. Check at an Army Navy type store, they have them. It is a regular hard plastic canteen with a separate mug with handles that slips up right over the bottom of it so that it is hardly noticeable at all. I want one also, they just aren't the lightest option available. I think that he has one up on Survivorman, even though Survivorman carries all his own camera equipment. While you are there, buy some paracord!

I like survivorman better actually. Bear is way to risky and does stupid stuff to be dramatic on TV. Les actually is more about survival then shock and awe, but it is still a good show.

mts4602
03-25-2007, 13:11
(Opinion) I think the survivorman show is pretty boring actually. Remember it's TV. Yeah bear does do risky stuff, but he's obviously a bad *** and seems to know what he's talking about.

I like the cravass example in the mountains "here's something you definitly don't want to fall into, but here's how you get yourself out in case you do"...and then he jumps in it....amazing!

Joshrm78
03-25-2007, 13:13
Yea i always scream at the tv when i watch man vrs wild he does a lot of things that i think arent really smart. IMO But i cant help but watch.

Lion King
03-25-2007, 13:34
Surviorman is better as he does things that can keep you alive, the other dude... he tries to show off and the things he talks about or does, if joe blow in danger did them, they would end up dead.

You cant blame the majority of the people out there who just dont have any sense and believe everything they see on TV...
"Oh, he jumped off a cliff into a raging river with a sweatshirt and blue jeans on altough its 40 degrees and snowing..so I can do that too and live..."
maybe, but he has a crew with him.

My question on him most of the time is this...why doesnt he look for alternative routes down instead of slidding, jumping, or rappeling when all it would take is a little extra time to get down going a different way..oh yeah...TV

DawnTreader
03-25-2007, 15:23
Your spot on Lion King.. I think as boring as it may be, Surviorman tells it like it is. Keep yourself warm and hydrated.....Bear Grilles puts himself into situations that are suicidal, and then gets himself out somehow. I hope nobody that watches this show thinks that free-climbing down the flow of a waterfall is somehow uselfull in a survival situation... what a loon.. Why don't you just find a different way down?

tripp
03-25-2007, 16:31
long time lurker, first time poster here... I love watching the show, Bear Grylls offers great entertainment value. But like others have said already, there's no way your average lost hiker can do most of the things that he advocates. Climbing a root system down into a cave and using vines to rapel down a waterfall and climbing out of a canyon up a corner... not possible for your average person...

mweinstone
03-25-2007, 19:02
ive been taught skills that sound like death to try but arent cause the teachers do it for a living and there so skilled. heres how i learned what to do if you slip and fall on severe angle ice head first on your back. first we got up at dawn and hiked the glacier to a spot with a safe runout at the bottom and a steep face at the top. about 13 000 feet in the wind rivers. next, standing just at the angle where progress stops without crampons and chopping steps is no longer safe. at this place we dig a cave into the face with a slightly sloping floor sloping downhill. we lay the student or friend, on there backs in the snow cave with head out the entrance and hold there ankles then let go. the person drops down the steep slop gathering tremendous speed quickly. they hold a ice axe rigid over their chest and we yell, now! and they shove the axe into the snow and flip into a braking position and either stick to the slop like a gymnast sticking a landing, or they skid and slowly come to a sliding stop. in any event, its freightening for some. and the first time you learn what body glasading out of control at fast speeds feels like, you practice self arrest religiously. some will anger at this but i must. the guy who got killed recently by the alligater allways made me scream at the tv, stop risking your life! and i knew his time would come. just like this other guy your talking about . i watched him and felt so sad for his kids. their dad risks it all for cash. not cool at all. and way the wrong way to study survival. it must be approched with a zen like calm not a barnum bally circus. that guys days are numbered as are all risk takers who instead of risking for gain, risk for fame. bad choice. i take my training seriously. wolf 2300? i imagine you do to. i think we share this respect.

RockStar
03-25-2007, 20:59
I would like to see man vs Wild do what he does but, with someone like me with him. Pretending to be hurt. now THAT would make a good show. Sure HE can do all that stuff but, what if you are with someone who isnt as athletic or hurt? I miss the shows, both of them but, can see where they would be running out of ideas. Sad. :(

RiverWarriorPJ
03-25-2007, 21:11
Has anyone ever seen that show? Anyway, he as this canteen that is made of some type of metal and has the part with the cap, but somehow converts to a cup that you can boil water in and stuff. Does anyone know what this is or where to get one?

As the norm.....u ask a question & everyOne has sum inPut, but nothing on the subject....As said previously any A-N store should have them....no longer issue cause that canteen/cup was compatable w/ NBC (nuc junk) & the MRE's of the era.......Since I assume u aren't runnin from the Soviets & don't have any 80's issue MRE's.....go w/ a regular hydration vessel...

Bob Baker
03-25-2007, 22:54
I stopped watching Man vs Wild when Bear was floating down the river and the outline of a lifejacket was clearly visible under his shirt. If he does something like that then how do you know they arent sneaking him food or something of the sort.

Rhino-lfl
03-27-2007, 14:04
Ok, I bought this one for giggles and maybe it'll be useful.

http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

amazing4sg
03-27-2007, 15:13

It is a canteen cup, they also make them for the Nalgene bottles the same size and you just slip them on the bottom of the water bottle or canteen. The one for the Nalgene bottle is lighter but you cannot put as much in it.

amazing4sg
03-27-2007, 15:18
I stopped watching Man vs Wild when Bear was floating down the river and the outline of a lifejacket was clearly visible under his shirt. If he does something like that then how do you know they arent sneaking him food or something of the sort.

I remember that same one and I thought the same exact thing you did. But I do have to say when he was in the African bush and he drank the water from the elephant dung I thought this man is tough as nails.

Rhino-lfl
03-27-2007, 15:45
I just wanted a canteen with a cup I could boil water in.

soad
03-27-2007, 16:55
How long would it take for hypothermia to set in floating down a 40 degree river in a sweatshirt?? Then the idiot gets out of the river, makes a fire (real quick) and goes to sleep. What a JOKE.

His show is to survival as "A Walk in the Woods" is to AT hiking, a humorous story that has no real life value.

Survivorman is the best program on television.