PDA

View Full Version : baltimore jack vs. bill bryson

Pages : 1 [2]

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-29-2007, 18:56
OK, but Bart has to play the gear salesman.

Brrrb Oregon
03-29-2007, 19:15
Seeing that this whole WITW movie casting debate is getting rather cartoonish, I nominate Homer Simpson to play Katz.:D

OK, but Bart has to play the gear salesman.

Krusty could play Katz! And Springfield could play Gaitlinburg!

Brrrb Oregon
03-29-2007, 19:17
Krusty could play Katz! And Springfield could play Gaitlinburg!

I meant Homer could play Bryson and Krusty could play Katz. (Nobody can do a fat drunk on a mission like Krusty can.)

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 19:45
As to whether AWITW is fiction or not... well, it's somewhere in between, and it's the reader's job to sort it out. It's kinda like a long editorial. If you agree with the man's opinions, you'll think of it as mostly fact. If not, you'll think of it as a pack of lies. Editorials are the perfect analogy. A mix of fact and fiction.

Now we are getting somewhere! I think many objections over the book are raised due to the mixing of fact and fiction AND only us wizened hikers (or was that wisenheimers? :-? ) know better. The rest of the world is left to think of us hikers as those generally portrayed by HIM, not very flattering, and our experiences as being something beyond understanding why anyone who put themselves through that. In essence, some of his experiences are how he saw it, some he made up, and on a whole, they are mostly negative. This is in direct contrast to how us wisenheimers feel about the AT experience and the people in the trail community and we don't like to be ridiculed or held in any less regard than say an author who makes things up in the name of a true travel story or his supporters. :D

The Weasel
03-29-2007, 19:46
The truth isn't subjective.
Unfortunately for the truth, all of us people are! :D

" 'What is truth?' said Pontius Pilate, and washed his hands."

Brrb, truth is almost always subjective, because all we do is label things subjectively. Is Osama bin Ladin a terrorist, or a freedom fighter? I think the former; millions disagree with me. Was George Washington guillty of treason, or an opponent of tyranny? The English once thought the former, and now agree, sometimes, on the latter. Ian Paisely or Gerry Adams?

Even "facts" (such as "I am sitting in front of a computer") aren't absolute, either, but merely probable. Mr. Heisenberg pretty much established that, and no serious physicist disagrees. In a different way, Hunter Thompson described how facts should never interfere with telling the truth.

Did Bill Bryson tell 'the truth' about the AT? Well, I think, to find out, it would help if I went up to Calaveras County and asked Jim Smiley about that. He'll tell me, while he trains Dan'l Webster for the next contest. You him, don't you? Mark Twain told us all 'bout him in Roughing It. Another nonfiction "travel book". I'll tell you what Smiley says, if you want to know.

Damn, they hate Twain up there. Don't worry. I'll be careful.

The Weasel

The Weasel
03-29-2007, 19:49
Now we are getting somewhere! I think many objections over the book are raised due to the mixing of fact and fiction AND only us wizened hikers (or was that wisenheimers? :-? ) know better. The rest of the world is left to think of us hikers as those generally portrayed by HIM, not very flattering, and our experiences as being something beyond understanding why anyone who put themselves through that. In essence, some of his experiences are how he saw it, some he made up, and on a whole, they are mostly negative. This is in direct contrast to how us wisenheimers feel about the AT experience and the people in the trail community and we don't like to be ridiculed or held in any less regard than say an author who makes things up in the name of a true travel story or his supporters. :D

Yeah, what a jerk Bryson is; he makes us sound like we are obsessed with gear, eat strange foods, a lot of us smell bad, and many of us have and have had a lot of problems. Where did he come up with all of THAT? I'd write more, but I need to check out Rock's stove and dehydrate some ramps, before the medication wears off.

The Weasel

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 19:52
Yeah, what a jerk Bryson is; he makes us sound like we are obsessed with gear, eat strange foods, a lot of us smell bad, and many of us have and have had a lot of problems. Where did he come up with all of THAT? I'd write more, but I need to check out Rock's stove and dehydrate some ramps, before the medication wears off.

The Weasel

See, we are perfectly normal. It is the rest of the world that is off their rocker. :D

rafe
03-29-2007, 20:11
In essence, some of his experiences are how he saw it, some he made up, and on a whole, they are mostly negative.

Sounds like you're taking the thing waaay too personally. Do you suppose that the obnoxious character "Mary Ellen" reflects poorly on you or the "hiking community"? Do you suppose an intelligent reader would presume that all thru-hikers are as obnoxious as "Mary Ellen" -- or that thru-hikers typically "fling" their unwanted belongings into the woods?

Bryson chose to dwell on (and amplify) the dweebs and the buffoons, and gave short shrift to the clean-shaven, well-mannered, competent, big-mileage hiker types. That's his choice, and his privelege as the author.

Methinks the critics of this book take themselves toooo damned seriously.:)

Brrrb Oregon
03-29-2007, 20:22
" 'What is truth?' said Pontius Pilate, and washed his hands."

Brrb, truth is almost always subjective, because all we do is label things subjectively. Is Osama bin Ladin a terrorist, or a freedom fighter? I think the former; millions disagree with me. Was George Washington guillty of treason, or an opponent of tyranny? The English once thought the former, and now agree, sometimes, on the latter. Ian Paisely or Gerry Adams?

Even "facts" (such as "I am sitting in front of a computer") aren't absolute, either, but merely probable. Mr. Heisenberg pretty much established that, and no serious physicist disagrees. In a different way, Hunter Thompson described how facts should never interfere with telling the truth.

Did Bill Bryson tell 'the truth' about the AT? Well, I think, to find out, it would help if I went up to Calaveras County and asked Jim Smiley about that. He'll tell me, while he trains Dan'l Webster for the next contest. You him, don't you? Mark Twain told us all 'bout him in Roughing It. Another nonfiction "travel book". I'll tell you what Smiley says, if you want to know.

Damn, they hate Twain up there. Don't worry. I'll be careful.

The Weasel

You are talking like a lawyer. Please don't tell me you are a lawyer with Pontius Pilate as a patron saint.

There is more than one way to tell the same truth, yes, but there are a million ways to tell a lie. Perjury is a real crime, not a merely crime against someone else's opinion. In other words, it is possible to speak what isn't even the truth from your own angle, and you, my friend, know it. At least, I for one would argue that you should be disbarred if you don't.

There is a difference, in sports, between being sporting and being unsporting, but on most days, a foul is a foul. You may quibble about whether a day is breezy or windy or blustery, but what if a tissue won't so much is flutter? Are you going to argue that this is a hurricane wind? Do you tell the truth if you are barefoot in a swamp and yet claim that your feet are dry?

Not that this has anything necessarily to do with Bill Bryson, but there is such a thing as objective truth, and so-called "subjective truth" that has nothing to do with it is still a lie.

I may only be able to know only where the electron is or how fast it is going, and not both, but I can still know where I stand. So while our descriptions of even that bit that we know is always going to be a subjective element to it, objectivity is not a lost cause.

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 20:22
Sounds like you're taking the thing waaay too personally. Do you suppose that the obnoxious character "Mary Ellen" reflects poorly on you or the "hiking community"? Do you suppose an intelligent reader would presume that all thru-hikers are as obnoxious as "Mary Ellen" -- or that thru-hikers typically "fling" their unwanted belongings into the woods?

Bryson chose to dwell on (and amplify) the dweebs and the buffoons, and gave short shrift to the clean-shaven, well-mannered, competent, big-mileage hiker types. That's his choice, and his privelege as the author.

LOL. Not all all. Then there are the supporters of this book who take themselves toooo damned seriously. :)

Hmm, speaking of characters in the book - I recall he sings the praises of Wing Foot - egad! :eek:

ANYWAY, I thought I signed off this dang thread a long time ago. BYE. :sun

Jester2000
03-29-2007, 20:23
Please, let's not make odious comparisons.

Hey, you don't want to answer the question? That's cool. But let's not pretend that we don't all know what the answer is.

As to whether AWITW is fiction or not... well, it's somewhere in between, and it's the reader's job to sort it out.

Tragically, there is no "in-between" section in the bookstore.

Everyone on whiteblaze and in the hiking community knows that I treat every subject with the utmost seriousness. It is my hallmark.

ed bell
03-29-2007, 20:28
I have often wondered if "Mary Ellen" knows about her role in the novel/non-fiction travelogue and what she is really like.:-? r

Mags
03-29-2007, 21:00
I know....have Bryson and Katz played by Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse. They're not drunks, but they could pull it off....and they definitely have the required upholstery!

I don't know about Emirl, but Molto Mario is known to have a large appetite for EVERYTHING. Food and drink esp!

One of my favorite reads in a while is HEAT (http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Adventures-Pasta-Maker-Apprentice-Dante-Quoting/dp/1400041201/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8412106-9923030?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175216019&sr=8-2).

To quote Batali from an interview:
"You can actually drink a case of wine in one sitting. It is possible."

Now..I'd love to eat the camp chow these two guys make. :)

Back our discussion of this decade old book. ;)

(Light read, funny in parts, over long when he is off the trail,funny again in Maine. Good airport book. Get it from the library and take it on your next flight. Return it when you get back.)

Mags
03-29-2007, 21:05
....talking about gear bores him, and he's...proud of that! :eek:

What's wrong with that? I'm a a reasonably experienced backpacker and I get bored with talking about gear, more gear, and still more gear. Even when I do gear talks, I preface it with "Gear is the least imporant part about backpacking".

Though, looking at some of these threads, acquiring gear seems to be the main hobby and hiking secondary. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-29-2007, 21:28
Everyone on whiteblaze and in the hiking community knows that I treat every subject with the utmost seriousness. It is my hallmark.Jester's Hallmark
(http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/JestersHallmark.jpg)

rafe
03-29-2007, 21:30
Hey, you don't want to answer the question? That's cool. But let's not pretend that we don't all know what the answer is.

I had a more complete answer for that question, but I went for short and concise. So try this on for size: Bryson's delusions and vivid imagination (if that's what they are) haven't cost tens of thousands of lives and billions of dollars or brought international shame upon our country.

They have instead, brought him scorn from an infinitesimal subset of the US population, and book that's sold millions of copies.

Tragically, there is no "in-between" section in the bookstore.Sure there is. One of those sections is labeled "Current events" where you'll find books written by pundits -- Coulter, O'Reilly, Tom Friedman, Frank Rich, Paul Krugman, et. al. These books are neither pure fact nor pure fiction. They are interpretations. In the "Science" section is a book by Richard Dawkins called "The God Delusion." It's neither fact nor fiction... but somewhere in between. And then there's the section called "Philosophy" and the one called "Religion" -- but I think you get the picture.

Can you say, "false dichotomy?" :D

weary
03-29-2007, 22:08
I have often wondered if "Mary Ellen" knows about her role in the novel/non-fiction travelogue and what she is really like.:-? r
I doubt if she exists. At least not in a way that anyone who knows the real Mary Ellen might recognize.

Brrrb Oregon
03-29-2007, 22:23
I doubt if she exists. At least not in a way that anyone who knows the real Mary Ellen might recognize.

Who knows. When I read about her hooking up with them, I thought what you think when you see a really bad marriage: "Oh, well, at least this way there are only two miserable people, and not four." :rolleyes:

rafe
03-29-2007, 23:41
LOL. Not all all. Then there are the supporters of this book who take themselves toooo damned seriously. :)

Yes and no. I'm truly intrigued by the phenomenom of the deep loathing for Bryson that I've seen on this list and on one other AT forum that I used to be part of. I can think of a number of "easy" explanations but the ones that are most often given (e.g. factual inaccuracy) just don't wash.

Hmm, speaking of characters in the book - I recall he sings the praises of Wing Foot - egad! :eek:

Well, I don't recall that passage, and it would seem somewhat out of character for Bryson to do that. He does briefly mention Grierson, Horton, and Leonard. WF has his place in the AT pantheon, I don't begrudge him that.

Jack Tarlin
03-30-2007, 00:19
You're "totally intrigued" with a lot of insignificant things, Terrapin. Give it a rest.

And what the hell is the "AT pantheon" anyway? I don't think anyone here has ever heard of it.

rafe
03-30-2007, 00:40
Bryson ... moved back to Britain in 1995, where he accepted a post at the University of Durham, in the North of England.

Apropos errors and omissions. You say Bryson accepted a post at the University of Durham?

Perhaps a minor detail to you, sir, but the post he accepted was Chancellor (http://www.dur.ac.uk/about/governance/chancellor/) of the University. Durham has 15,000 students (3,500 post-grads) and 3,000 staff.

And the date of his departure from Hanover was 2003, not 1995.

rafe
03-30-2007, 00:47
You're "totally intrigued" with a lot of insignificant things, Terrapin. Give it a rest.

Umm, that was "truly" intrigued, not "totally" but w t f, reading comprehension was never your long suit.

But hey, aren't you supposed to be thru-hiking? They got wireless broadband at the shelters now, or what?

Oh, and Pantheon is a place you won't ever be, unless they build one in honor of heavy drinking.

Gaiter
03-30-2007, 00:47
omg, 14 pages already!!!!! and still debating on when bryson actually left hanover, does it matter that much???

I haven't really cared so much about bryson's book, yeah i read it when i first got the idea of doing a long section in my head, but then i kinda put it out of my mind (especially in reguards to his hike), now i've have to go back and read parts of it, aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh

Gaiter
03-30-2007, 00:49
They got wireless broadband at the shelters now, or what?

no but ms. janet does (i'm assuming thats where jack still is)

rafe
03-30-2007, 00:52
omg, 14 pages already!!!!! and still debating on when bryson actually left hanover, does it matter that much???

Not at all, except that in order to not mention it, I'd have had to insert yet another ellipsis in Jack's quote... and then it would have looked like I was, you know, trying to mis-quote the poor man.

rafe
03-30-2007, 01:01
no but ms. janet does (i'm assuming thats where jack still is)

Translation: he's carbo-loading in anticipation of a triumphant return to Springer... at some date/time as-yet undetermined. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
03-30-2007, 01:23
Terrapin:

You should REALLY try talking to me in person some time the way you do here.

No, really, you should. In fact, I INVITE you to.

But you know what? We both know it'll never happen, becuase you're the epitome of the gutless, Internet coward, Raphael. In fact, everyone here knows you'd never do this. Ever.

And why do you suppose this is, eh? Wanna hazard a guess?

But if you change your mind, by all means let me know. I'll be at Trail Days and the Gathering if you wanna chat.

See ya.

bfitz
03-30-2007, 01:34
Sweet! I'll be here too, if anyone wants to chat. I love chatting!

The Old Fhart
03-30-2007, 06:43
Terrapin_too-"Oh, and Pantheon is a place you won't ever be, unless they build one in honor of heavy drinking."

Jack--"......becuase you're the epitome of the gutless, Internet coward, Raphael."So what do either of these personal attacks have to do with the veracity of Bryson's book?? Personal attacks like these are the last resort of the intellectually bankrupt.

Spork
03-30-2007, 07:17
Sweet! I'll be here too, if anyone wants to chat. I love chatting!

I heard a rumor that you'll be performing some Sinatra at Trail Days. Is that true? If so, I Mein have to make a special trip...;)

Gaiter
03-30-2007, 08:45
calm down, none of my comments were to be taken seriously, have a laugh, its good for you, i try to laugh at myself at least 3 times a day

sherrill
03-30-2007, 08:48
So, to get back to subject, if Jack or Bill wins, does the other have to shave his head?:p

Outlaw
03-30-2007, 08:57
So, to get back to subject, if Jack or Bill wins, does the other have to shave his head?:p

Dang, there has been so many interesting opinions and personal attacks flying around on this thread for so long I forgot what the original question was!:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
03-30-2007, 09:34
This thread is starting to remind me of one of my favorite songs.

"And its too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around." ~David Gilmour & Roger Waters~

Brrrb Oregon
03-30-2007, 10:42

I think a better question is whether either Jack or Bill gives a rat's **s about it. I kind of doubt it.

Didn't somebody already quote Shatner on that one though? :D

bfitz
03-30-2007, 11:31
Too late, miss Janet shaved it last night.

Jack already won several times over, but if I beat him this year I get to shave his back. We'll donate the clippings to locks for love.

Lilred
03-30-2007, 11:59
Too late, miss Janet shaved it last night.

Jack already won several times over, but if I beat him this year I get to shave his back. We'll donate the clippings to locks for love.

ewwww, sorry Jack, but...ewwwwww

MOWGLI
03-30-2007, 12:35

Shave? That's what duct tape is for! Just place it on the back and let 'er r-r-r-r-r-rip! That's called a Backpacker's Brazilian!

Gray Blazer
03-30-2007, 12:37
Shave? That's what duct tape is for! Just place it on the back and let 'er r-r-r-r-r-rip! That's called a Backpacker's Brazilian!

Brazilliant!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-30-2007, 15:03
::: dino is cowling in corner over mere mention of brazillian. Run Jack, run. Worse than hearing banjos :::

A-Train
03-30-2007, 15:15
So why don't one of you (ahem, Jack) sit down and write a factual, authentic piece of non-fiction based on the experience of an entire 2172 mile thru-hike?

Oh yeah, that's right. Dozens of people have and ultimately although "accurate", most shared one thing in common: They were pretty boring.

There's a reason we talk about Bryson so much....

Jester2000
03-30-2007, 16:44
So try this on for size: Bryson's delusions and vivid imagination (if that's what they are) haven't cost tens of thousands of lives and billions of dollars or brought international shame upon our country.

I tried that on for size, and it didn't even remotely approach the beginning of answering the question I asked you. The question was, "if we were talking about a book written by George W., how many inaccuracies would you need in order to deem the book inaccurate."

Seeing as you don't want to respond to that question, and this is my third post regarding that question, I'll take your answer to be "fewer than the number already provided regarding Bryson's book."

Pirate
04-08-2007, 18:35
Bag Of Tricks left Damascus the other day and is headed south to slack Tennessee (Baltimore) Jack. Jack was complaining that his pack weighs too much. Don't stress too much Jack, help is on the way.

Fannypack
04-08-2007, 18:46
Bag Of Tricks left Damascus the other day and is headed south to slack Tennessee (Baltimore) Jack. Jack was complaining that his pack weighs too much. Don't stress too much Jack, help is on the way.
who is this PIRATE fella? is he a hiker?

Topcat
04-08-2007, 18:53

for what it is worth, check out the thread on items found on the approach trail and at the couple of shelters this year....looks like some people use it as a second income;)

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 21:22
pirate is nobody. dont worry about who he is. just do your work and keep your nose clean. why are you so interested in pirate? we dont needyour type around here. kiddind and laughing out loud or lol as its called by the young and hip. pirate is an intelectual who reads alot and smokes a pipe and has a beard. answer your question? no? he hiked the trail 16 times and is quiet and a lady killer. he hangs out with two gentlemen by the names lonewhale and weewolf. sorry, dislexsia. i ment peewhale and lonelaugh. sorry again . thie names are lonewarf and captian james t weewhale.anywho the three of them represent everything wrong with the world. sorry . my dislexia again. i ment right with the beard movement in america today.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2007, 08:29
Argh, the pirate's parrott is gonna get yer, whetstone, and leave yer ta be eaten by the werewolves.

Lilred
04-09-2007, 13:49
pirate is nobody. dont worry about who he is. just do your work and keep your nose clean. why are you so interested in pirate? we dont needyour type around here. kiddind and laughing out loud or lol as its called by the young and hip. pirate is an intelectual who reads alot and smokes a pipe and has a beard. answer your question? no? he hiked the trail 16 times and is quiet and a lady killer. he hangs out with two gentlemen by the names lonewhale and weewolf. sorry, dislexsia. i ment peewhale and lonelaugh. sorry again . thie names are lonewarf and captian james t weewhale.anywho the three of them represent everything wrong with the world. sorry . my dislexia again. i ment right with the beard movement in america today.

That's a Riot!! LOLOL

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 06:55
nothing has changed. he has 2 vehicles to choose from this year

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2009, 08:10
Two vehicles to choose from?

Not sure what that means. Trix is taking off to points unknown; Bfitz's car is being left in Franklin for awhile.

Which leaves us exactly NO cars to choose from, in case Wolf is interested.

DavidNH
04-07-2009, 09:30
Almost anyone can make it farther than Bill Bryson Did. Heck, he quit his hike just a couple hundred miles in and then just day hiked and section hiked from there (however, that does not deminish the entertainment value of his book Walk in the Woods).

As for Jack, really doesn't matter how far he gets. After you have hiked the whole trail what 8 times (or is it still more?) you have already done what ever "proving" you need to do. You are just out there to be out there.

David

the goat
04-07-2009, 09:31
have fun man, wish i was with you!

Bearpaw
04-07-2009, 17:02
Bryson made it a lot further than MANY prospective thru-hikers. Even if he did whine a lot... :rolleyes:

Of course, Jack would likely walk further just to grab a taco. ;)

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 18:06

or 15 pork chops

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2009, 18:32
I can handle the calories, Wolf.

That's what happens when one is hiking, but thanks as always for your kind thoughts.

See you in Damascus.

Chaco Taco
04-07-2009, 19:19
I can handle the calories, Wolf.

That's what happens when one is hiking, but thanks as always for your kind thoughts.

See you in Damascus.

Good luck Jack. We will see you at some random road crossing hopefully soon

Sidewinder
04-07-2009, 19:20
:confused::confused::confused: I'm confused, I thought Bill Bryson and Baltimore Jack was the same person. :D

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2009, 21:26
:-? well as you all know it's spring again and jack is headin' south for the umteenth time. my question to the masses is, "will jack make it farther than bill bryson made it on his hike.:D
Jack. Because if he doesn't make it to Trail Days for Hardcore. There will be a lot of hungry hikers ready to kill him.

Chaco Taco
04-07-2009, 23:30
Bryson made it a lot further than MANY prospective thru-hikers. Even if he did whine a lot... :rolleyes:

Uhhhh I dont think Jack would grab a taco:)

mweinstone
04-08-2009, 06:36
the man in the taco is fat. long of wind. and sits sidesadle in his pack. his neighbors are short and confused. their both known as, appalachian folk. one day jack went up a hill to a kill. thats when it all went terribly terribly wrong. for bfitz. of course he had his game on and was a sexual camel by the time fontanas fondelings came on him. then theirs jesters love of them both. and huggs that approtch going to far. and weird crunchy sausages for all. this is the tale of two worlds. billvillien vs matonian. when sprinkles are applyied liberally to baltimore jack tarlins nipple area, he dances the moon awake. simularily, bfitz can tango like its 1999. and with trail they dust. and angels fly high into a must see max type patch of our loved ones. when words and worlds collide. this is love. welcome to my word. and bacon rained down on gods hikers for fourty days and fourty syrup filled bewitchings. and all slept , one foot on another. for tarlin toss was afoot. and the owl of tricks played into the stairwell of the doyals very musical soul.

mweinstone
04-08-2009, 06:40
baltimore jack tarlin smells,hikes,eats,farts,picks boogies and eats them, scratches his arss and sniffs his finger, and is a polite respectable responsible member of a highly advanced civilization known as hikemanity.

Lemming Fleming
04-08-2009, 09:46
Well, I understand a lot of the things you guys have said about Bill Bryson and I'm sure there are a lot of untruths (or at least stretching of the truth) just as there was in his book about Britain (Notes from a small Island). But I have to say, if it wasn't for Walk in the Woods, then I wouldn't be looking on this forum less than 5 weeks away from my first section hike. If I had the time and money I know I would want to thru hike. Brysons book wasn't so negative as I remember. So, personally from me, thankyou Mr Bryson.

RITBlake
04-08-2009, 10:41
People are jealous of Bill Bryson, bottom line, clear as day.

BradMT
04-08-2009, 11:27
Have never read Bryon's book. Likely never will.

However, having had the "pleasure" of interacting with the humorless, self-obsessed Jack Tarlin, I'd take a Walk In The Woods with the obviously jovial Bryon any day over Tarlin... that's not hard to figure out.

Heater
04-08-2009, 11:36

However, having had the "pleasure" of interacting with the humorless, self-obsessed Jack Tarlin, I'd take a Walk In The Woods with the obviously jovial Bryon any day over Tarlin... that's not hard to figure out.

Yowch! That's gonna leave a bruise...

the goat
04-08-2009, 12:20

you clearly don't know jack very well.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-08-2009, 12:57
you clearly don't know jack very well.:rolleyes:

first impressions....

saimyoji
04-08-2009, 13:01

read the book. its a page turner.

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2009, 14:45
Austex:

Actually, Brad MT's comments didn't leave a bruise at all.

One risks getting bruises when one elects to insult or malign someone in public, face-to face.

I learned long ago what anonymous slags on the Internet are worth, Aus.

Which is not much.

Have a nice day there, Brad!! Always a pleasure to hear from my fans. :D

saimyoji
04-08-2009, 17:15
Austex:

Actually, Brad MT's comments didn't leave a bruise at all.

One risks getting bruises when one elects to insult or malign someone in public, face-to face.

I learned long ago what anonymous slags on the Internet are worth, Aus.

Which is not much.

Have a nice day there, Brad!! Always a pleasure to hear from my fans. :D

hey jack, i heard you were sharing those pork chops with others, like a real gentleman. good on ya.

Jester2000
04-08-2009, 17:54

Ha ha ha! "Interacting!" Priceless! For a second I thought you actually had some personal interaction with him, and I thought it strange that someone would have this reaction to Jack. Then I realized the "interaction" was a minor internet scuffle that started with Jack saying that he "strongly disagreed with you," and in which in his second post he stated:

"But since your experience is evidently different than mine, I'll happily let this one go."

One could have easily responded with, "yeah, I guess we have had different experiences" and left it at that. Alternately one could tell him he was unobservant, was making silly statements, etc., etc., which is what you chose to do.

The fact that this happened back in January and is still on your mind makes me think that Jack isn't the one obsessed with Jack Tarlin.

And speaking of old threads, how the heck did this one get resurrected?

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2009, 18:48
Thanx Jester.

I was also wondering when I'd "interacted" with this guy and it turns out our only connection was an old argument over Osprey Packs.

Brad said their quality had declined immensely in recent years. I told him I disagreed with him. And the fact that they've been amongst the top 3 packs seen on the A.T. for more years than I can remember would seem to indicate that there are plenty of folks hapy with their product, Brad's comments notwithstanding.

That's the SOLE reason for our disagreement.

I just re-read that whole silly thread, which was mercifully closed by the moderators.

That Brad finds me self-obsessed and humorous is provably half false, at least:

For starters, I'm greatly amused by his comments, so evidently, my sense of humor is still intact.

Anyway, thanx again for the kind words, Brad. Always a pleasure to hear from admirers.

LBJ
04-08-2009, 19:34
Who in the h*** is Baltimore Jim? John? Jack??

Lone Wolf
04-08-2009, 19:37

some guy that used to hike with bill bryson

Jester2000
04-08-2009, 19:57

They were neighbors. Probably went on day hikes together.

the goat
04-08-2009, 20:28
They were neighbors. Probably went on day hikes together.

no doubt followed by pleasant conversation & mochachino lattes at the dirt cowboy.

yaduck9
04-08-2009, 22:38

I thought he was Bill Bryson's editor or spell checker or something or other.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2009, 06:29
I thought he was Bill Bryson's editor or spell checker or something or other.

more like his gopher. he'd get coffee for bill

Chaco Taco
04-09-2009, 09:13
Wasnt Jack the one that was refered to as Katz?
By the way Brad, Jack is probably one of worst people on the trail and his cooking sucks! If you eat his lasagna, you will never want to eat lasagna again. He never ever helps people that need suggestions and me making it all the way to Maine has nothing to do with Jack. And he is a horrible friend.

yaduck9
04-10-2009, 10:17
Wasnt Jack the one that was refered to as Katz?
By the way Brad, Jack is probably one of worst people on the trail and his cooking sucks! If you eat his lasagna, you will never want to eat lasagna again. He never ever helps people that need suggestions and me making it all the way to Maine has nothing to do with Jack. And he is a horrible friend.

Its Universally Acknowledged.

Worldwide
04-10-2009, 10:30
Jack will make it to the first "dry county" then jump ahead for a resupply!! Just kidding Jack have fun hope all is well with you, and keep on keeping on.

weary
04-10-2009, 17:38
He's the only one who doesn't like BradMT.

Chaco Taco
04-10-2009, 22:53
He's the only one who doesn't like BradMT.

You are jumping to conclusions about Jack. I Never saw that Jack said he doesnt like Brad, just explained why Brad wouldnt like him.

Blue Jay
04-11-2009, 10:35
How could anyone consider Jack humorless? He's still a Republican.:eek:

superman
04-11-2009, 10:39
How could anyone consider Jack humorless? He's still a Republican.:eek:

Funny, but I think he said that he's an "Independent."

weary
04-12-2009, 09:17
Funny, but I think he said that he's an "Independent."
Sometinmes actions speak so loudly it's hard to hear the words. BTW Blue Jay wins the award for the funniest comment so far this week.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
04-13-2009, 13:48
Weary is easily amused. :D

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 14:02
Weary is easily amused. :D

Good lord man, where are you???? We are going to be dropping Thunder off on thursday, where will you be? We are planning a trip out next weekend, let us know where you are going to be so we can see ya.

Jack Tarlin
04-13-2009, 14:09
Chaco:

Heading out with a good friend tomorrow for a few brisk days hiking; if you remember where we had lasagna and steak last year, well that's where I hope to be on Sunday. Come find us, we might even let you cook.

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:09
Chaco:

Heading out with a good friend tomorrow for a few brisk days hiking; if you remember where we had lasagna and steak last year, well that's where I hope to be on Sunday. Come find us, we might even let you cook.

Will be in Jersey this weekend for a conference. Ill see you next week sometime. We can meet up. Hope to do a 3-4 day hike here next week. Oh I miss that place. The food was awesome, new friends, great whiskey, great people!!!! Tell your friend I said hello and I hope to see him in Hot Springs at the fest!

kyhipo
04-13-2009, 19:18
How bout Baltimore J*** off?

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 19:20
How bout Baltimore J*** off?
Play nice!!!!!!

kyhipo
04-13-2009, 19:22
Play nice!!!!!!

I know.... I was wrong???

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 19:25
Just no need for name calling

kyhipo
04-13-2009, 19:26
Just no need for name calling

I've met him....Ky

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 19:26
Good for you, you should feel accomplished

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 19:27
Just because you have met someone doesnt mean you should call them things like that.

kyhipo
04-13-2009, 19:27
Take a hike....Ky

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 19:29
Wow you sure are original. Id appreciate if you wouldnt talk about my friends like that, thats all Im trying to say