PDA

View Full Version : Cable Gap Shelter

Youngblood
08-21-2003, 22:27
Photo Link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1317&papass=&sort=1

Noggin
01-30-2004, 01:13
Companion says sleeps 6, privy, reliable water in front of shelter. Any more info, likes or dislikes?

Youngblood
01-30-2004, 15:48
Well... it does have an uncovered picnic table out front.

Youngblood

Uncle Wayne
01-31-2004, 03:53
When we there in 1999 the register warned of an abundant mice population. My son and I tented but some of our friends slept in the shelter, or at least tried to. The mice were so bad one of them actually moved out of the shelter and slept on the ground. The other two said it must have been a mouse convention. They counted 23 mice at one time along the back wall.

Sleepy the Arab
02-01-2004, 20:45
Beware of skunks, and don't share the shelter with a dog.

Yes, it was a long night.

Tabasco
06-28-2005, 12:21
Any recent comments on this shelter? Looking to do a fill in section 2 day between stecoah gap and fontana dam and just curious to see what shape this shelter is in these days...

Saluki Dave
06-28-2005, 13:00
Was by there in early May. I'd give it a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 seemed fairly clean and the little stream out front was running well. Of course that is subject to change.

Brock
06-28-2005, 13:47
I stayed in Cable Gap on May 2nd this year. As I wrote in my journal "bad mice and bad sleep". But, there are some really nice camping spots away from the shelter. Just up and behind it has two spots for tents and below is a large group of pine trees that would be excellent for tents or hammocks.

With the river right there the area is nice, even with the shelter. Oh, and the privy is "unique" too and probably in this heat smells great!

TakeABreak
06-29-2005, 00:51
I remember reading an article in 1999, about a local club that was catching Black snakes and releasing them at shelters in VA., to do an experiment, to see how well it alleviated the mice problem.

Can anyone elaborate on this, does anyone know how the experiment worked out, also I may have the locatio wrong, I at least thought it was in VA., I do remeber it was on the A.T. and was almost certain it was in VA.

Tabasco
07-10-2005, 22:55
My son and I stayed there Friday night. Shelter register warned of huge mouse issues and a visit by 3 bears on June 6th. However, there were no mice. No mice>???? 1st time ever I slept in a shelter and no mice. Thank goodness no bears either.

Water source is a good stream out front, decent privy, there was NO picnic table however.

At approx 70 years old, I can see this being rebuilt soon however.

BlackCloud
10-19-2009, 00:02
Well... it does have an uncovered picnic table out front.

Youngblood

Not anymore it doesn't....

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 23:20
the shelter wont be replaced any time soon. It got a new roof a couple years ago. And it got a new moldering privy last summer. The 'Unique' privy went out in a blaze of glory. lol

wornoutboots
11-17-2010, 11:34
Great Shelter & great Setting! stream right out front & plenty of tenting areas + newer privy I stayed there October 2010

ChinMusic
11-17-2010, 13:44
I was just there last Friday night (11/12). The water source is down to a functional trickle.

I know it is considered littering, but I want to thank whoever it was that left two lawn chairs at the shelter. I had cached a couple Diet Cokes at the 1242 road crossing. The chair I got to use had one of those holders in the arm rest. I was chilling at the campfire is style.....

Phreak
11-17-2010, 19:06
I was just there last Friday night (11/12). The water source is down to a functional trickle.

I know it is considered littering, but I want to thank whoever it was that left two lawn chairs at the shelter. I had cached a couple Diet Cokes at the 1242 road crossing. The chair I got to use had one of those holders in the arm rest. I was chilling at the campfire is style.....
Just missed ya... I was camped at the shelter on Saturday (11/13).

ChinMusic
11-17-2010, 19:26
Just missed ya... I was camped at the shelter on Saturday (11/13).
Did you stake claim on one of the chairs?

We seem to just miss each other. We were a day or two apart in Yosemite too this year.

swamp dawg
11-17-2010, 19:37
Stayed there in the first week of May this year and did not have a problem with mice. The shelter was fairly dirty but the water nearby was great.
Life is good in the woods .........swamp dawg