PDA

View Full Version : First timer needs help!

FrOeKk
03-25-2007, 20:47
Hi! I'm planning a trip to the AT in mid-October and plan on being on the trail for five days. I've been camping many times and I've done a few overnight hikes, but nothing of the caliber of the AT. I was wondering if you guys could help me with planning the trip. I'm from Florida, so I was planning on driving and starting on the trail somewhere around northern NC of Southern VA. I'm also taking my dog so I have to keep him in mind. I was wondering if you could give me any idea of places to start the trail and which way to travel. I'm not to concerned with shelters because I'm carrying a tent, so a part of the trail that has good camping ground would be great. Please give some advice if you can! Thanks!

MOWGLI
03-25-2007, 21:04
:welcome

Consider going to Damascus, VA and having someone shuttle you north about 50 miles. I believe the Mt Rogers NRA Visitors Center near the Partnership Shelter is about 50 miles from Damascus. Then you can walk SOBO back into town. This will take you through Grayson Highland State Park and the Mt. Rogers NRA. It is a beautiful area, and one of the most unique and memorable places along the entire length of the trail.

The outfitter in Damascus could shuttle you. Whiteblaze member Lone Wolf has also been known to provide shuttles.

I'm sure others will offer advice. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy yourself.

buckowens
03-25-2007, 21:15
:welcome as well. You could just start at Amicalola and would not have to worry about the "no dog" rules in the Smokies. I am a bit OCD so I would have to start at the beginning:D You would then be able to easily continue on a section hike of the whole trail. Or for that matter start in Maine if you want to go south. Just my 2 cents... Good luck!!!

FrOeKk
03-25-2007, 22:00
I'd love to do the entire trail, but I only have 8 days off of work, and I don't move that fast!!!! :p

I was looking into the Damascus area and it seems like a popular place. I definitely don't want to break any of the "no-dog" rules, so I have to go somewhere where I can behave myself! LOL!! Thanks for the info guys!!!

Is 50 miles a feasible distance for 5 days, or is that too short or too long?

Groucho
03-25-2007, 22:17
I'd love to do the entire trail, but I only have 8 days off of work, and I don't move that fast!!!! :p

I was looking into the Damascus area and it seems like a popular place. I definitely don't want to break any of the "no-dog" rules, so I have to go somewhere where I can behave myself! LOL!! Thanks for the info guys!!!

The Damascus area is what I thought of when reading your post; a perfect place for a newbie. I would start at Greyson Highlands State Park (secure parking for a coupla bucks a day), and plan a loop to include the AT and the Iron Mt. Trail. Get the guide and mapset for SW VA; it has the info for the IMT too. This way you could adjust your trip as you feel your way. There are several possible loops. You might, for instance, decide to slow down and just make it to Damascus via the AT and the VA creeper trail(getting a shuttle back to Greyson), or do a loop with more than 50 miles by going into Damascus and returning via the IMT. Dogs are allowed.

jan latham
03-25-2007, 22:40
I agree---one of the nicest sections for a newbie on the trail is the section north of Damascus. The outfitter in town is Mount Rogers Outfitters and the folks there are very knowledgable about the trail, provide shuttles anywhere within 100 miles, have any equipment you might need and are just great folks to talk with and have your first taste of the AT with! They will make your first outing very easy! The scenery there is spectacular as well and the hiking goes from easy cruising to challenging---a little of everything. Have fun!

FrOeKk
03-25-2007, 22:45
Awesome info guys!! Where can I pick up some good maps of this area?

Lion King
03-25-2007, 22:47
Erwin TN (Miss J's) to Damascus, or therein.

Or from Damascus N. over the highlands to troutdale and hitch back...thats a great section

MOWGLI
03-25-2007, 23:04

What kind of shape are you in? What are you goals for this hike? To do some miles, or just spend some time outdoors unwinding? What kind of shape is the dog in?

10 miles/day shouldn't be too difficult for a hiker in decent shape. In October, you'll have less than 12 hours of daylight, so if you're a slow hiker, you'll want to break camp early and keep moving throughout the day. Also, there are wild ponies in the area, so you'll want to keep Fido leashed.

FrOeKk
03-26-2007, 00:04
Well, my pup is in good shape and he's young and full of energy, so I'm not too concerned about him. He's been training with me and has been getting used to wearing his pack.

As for me, I'm in good shape, and I've been training about three times a week with my pack so I can get used to the weight and be in good shape for the hike.

I want to relax a little and enjoy the scenary, but I also don't want to finish the trail to early. My plan was to be on the trail five days, and that's what I want to aim for. On the flip side I also don't want to be rushing and having to worry whether or not I'm going to make it to the end of the trail on time!!

Groucho
03-26-2007, 05:45
Awesome info guys!! Where can I pick up some good maps of this area?

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=54&compid=1 SW VA guide from the AT Conservancy for ~$20. You may be able to get one at an outfitters near you.

Mid to late october should be good for leaf viewing in this area.

Marta
03-26-2007, 06:23
If you start 50 miles north of Damascus and find that that's not far enough for the time you have allotted, you can always hike through Damascus, continue south, then turn around and hike back. I did that one long weekend with my college-age son when we made better-than-expected distance. OTOH, if you find you don't make the distance, you can always hitch back to town, or call for pickup.

Georgia is also full of hiker services, with lots of shuttle options. If you started at Springer, you could hike all sorts of distances, from Neels Gap to Franklin, without having to lock yourself into a schedule beforehand.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Jaybird
03-26-2007, 07:11
Hi! I'm planning a trip to the AT in mid-October and plan on being on the trail for five days..............................etc,etc,etc,.... ................................ !

Yo FrOeKk!

if youre time is limited & youre having to drive to the trail....why not start @ Springer & make it as far Northbound as you can get in your 5 or 6 days?

good luck with your hike...
see ya'll out there Apr 25-May 6 in VA:D

MOWGLI
03-26-2007, 07:12
Well, my pup is in good shape and he's young and full of energy, so I'm not too concerned about him. He's been training with me and has been getting used to wearing his pack.

As for me, I'm in good shape, and I've been training about three times a week with my pack so I can get used to the weight and be in good shape for the hike.

I want to relax a little and enjoy the scenary, but I also don't want to finish the trail to early. My plan was to be on the trail five days, and that's what I want to aim for. On the flip side I also don't want to be rushing and having to worry whether or not I'm going to make it to the end of the trail on time!!

If you want to do 15 miles/day, you could start in Atkins, VA. That's right off of I-81. (Exit is called Groseclose). It's 75 miles (by trail) from Atkins to Damascus. 15 miles/day right out of the box might be a bit too aggressive. But as others have mentioned, you can always bail and try and hitch out.

If I were you, I'd stick to about 50 miles and try and enjoy the scenery. October is a great time to be on the trail in SW Virginia.

FrOeKk
03-26-2007, 12:20
Thanks for all the help guys! You've been a big help in helping me get an idea of what area to start on for the maiden AT voyage!! LOL!

Jester2000
03-26-2007, 19:09
I like the idea of hiking from 50 miles north of Damascus back into town. Aside from the fact that it's a beautiful section, here's why:

1) By hiking back to where your car is, you won't have to worry about not getting a hitch, or having to take a lot of time getting one. It would be one less thing to fret over while you're hiking.

2)The distance seems right to me if you don't have your trail legs under you. I'm not sure how trail experienced your dog is, but he might not want to go more than 10 miles/day if he's not used to it. You may not want to either, as it's a beautiful stretch and you'll probable dawdle.

3)If you do waste time and fall behind, the last stretch is generally down, and you can always bail onto the Creeper if you need to speed up.

4)You'll be able to finish your hike with a beer at Dot's.

MOWGLI
03-26-2007, 19:21
Thanks for all the help guys! You've been a big help in helping me get an idea of what area to start on for the maiden AT voyage!! LOL!

Just one word of caution. This is a helluva place for a maiden voyage. There are few places as beautiful, so you'll be a bit spoiled from the get-go.

Not really a bad problem to have, but try to avoid comparing future sections of the AT to the Mt. Rogers area. The area is totally unique.

FrOeKk
03-27-2007, 14:16
Oh boy, so this trip is going to be a tease? Hmm........LOL!! I can't wait!! And hey, if it's that great, then there's no problem scheduling a longer hike next time and adding a portion of this one in so I still get the effect!!