PDA

View Full Version : Cup Idea

David335
03-25-2007, 22:06
I was messing around with duck tape and some of those twistie ties that you get at the super market and i got an idea to make anultra-light back packing cup. I made a cube out of the twisties and then covered it on 5 sides with duck tape on the inside and on the outside. The cup is very light and it can be crushed and then strightened outagain. It works fine. The pictures are in my gallery. ( I Think :o)

Skidsteer
03-25-2007, 22:16
How much does it weigh? :-?

I guess 2-3 oz.

David335
03-25-2007, 22:21
I don't have a scale precise enouth to measure but it weighs less than a tennis ball.

fiddlehead
03-25-2007, 22:22
A styrofoam cup is almost lighter than air and you can easily get a new one whenever you get to town. I've had them last a month already.

David335
03-25-2007, 22:25
That is a good idea but I am way too brainless in were I pack things for a flimsy cup like that not to break after the first use.

Appalachian Tater
03-25-2007, 22:28
You could invent something like this:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/Flatword%20Orikaso%20Solo%20Set/Liz%20Neely/Initial%20Report/
They are washable, too.

David335
03-25-2007, 22:31
I have used this on a backpacking trip before they are okay but are apain to fold for every meal.

Skidsteer
03-25-2007, 22:39
That is a good idea but I am way too brainless in were I pack things for a flimsy cup like that not to break after the first use.

Then you could pack it this way (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20601).

rafe
03-25-2007, 22:43
Open Country plastic cup (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=412&parent_category_rn=5760727&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC), with handle, weighs 0.8 oz. $1.35 at REI. Mine has lasted many years and hundreds of miles.

David335
03-25-2007, 22:47
That is a good idea. I might have to try that.

Terrapin_too i have one of those cups but i always find them too small for my needs. But they make great cups to add to a cook kit.

rafe
03-25-2007, 23:15
Terrapin_too i have one of those cups but i always find them too small for my needs. But they make great cups to add to a cook kit.

I hear you. I wish there were something like it, but just a bit bigger.

Footslogger
03-25-2007, 23:19
This one is a little heavier but holds 1.5 cups and fits inside my 0.9 Liter cookpot.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3822&parent_category_rn=5760727&vcat=REI_SEARCH

'Slogger

Dances with Mice
03-25-2007, 23:26
To some, using an eight fluid ounce cup for morning coffee would be like using a shot glass to drink a bottle of wine.

rafe
03-25-2007, 23:29
This one is a little heavier but holds 1.5 cups and fits inside my 0.9 Liter cookpot.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3822&parent_category_rn=5760727&vcat=REI_SEARCH

'Slogger

Yeah, I've got that one too, but I'd call it a lot heavier. (3.0 oz vs 0.8 oz.) Does that make me a gram weenie? OK, guilty as charged. :D

LostInSpace
03-25-2007, 23:51

'Slogger

I use one of these cups that GSI made out of some other plastic before they used Lexan. Still works though.

If one uses a styrofoam faucet cover as a cozy, then plugging the hole in the bottom and using it as a large cup would make it dual purpose ... eliminating the need for a separate cup. However, I prefer my margaritas in my GSI cup. Aesthetics improve the ambience!

Footslogger
03-26-2007, 08:34
Yeah, I've got that one too, but I'd call it a lot heavier. (3.0 oz vs 0.8 oz.) Does that make me a gram weenie? OK, guilty as charged. :D

==============================

Guess I'm just selective at where I cut my grams. I have several of the lighter weight plastic cups listed in an earlier post but for me they're just too small and hard to handle.

NOW ...if they could make this 1.5 oz cup in a thinner, lighter weight material I'd jump on it !!

'Slogger

Heater
03-26-2007, 08:48
Just cut off the top of a 20 fl. oz pepsi bottle and shove it in one of those thin skinned Koozies. A 16 oz insulated cup that weighs a hair over 1 oz and squishes down a lot too. Also holds cans.

Cheap too... mine was free. :sun

GlazeDog
03-26-2007, 09:50
I was messing around with duck tape and some of those twistie ties that you get at the super market and i got an idea to make anultra-light back packing cup. I made a cube out of the twisties and then covered it on 5 sides with duck tape on the inside and on the outside.

I'm just waiting for the backpack......if you really want to impress me.;)

GlazeDog

p.s. Orikaso mug

David335
03-26-2007, 11:01
that is a good idea!!
I'm in spring break so i have lots of time ^_^
-David

David335
03-26-2007, 11:07
starting a day-pack right now!!

Grinder
03-26-2007, 12:06
what the heck is a "thin skinned koozie"??

My first thought was a rather touchy woman of some kind, but that can't be right<G>.

Tom

Grinder
03-26-2007, 12:07
Never mind. Google is my friend!!

I never heard the term before.
What a sheltered life I lead.

Tom

SouthMark
03-26-2007, 13:46
Go-Paks snack cups fit in a thin skinned koozies perfectly.

David335
03-26-2007, 14:33
I have the bottom of the pack done and I am building the middle section right now!!!

David335
03-26-2007, 16:01
The middle section of the pack is almost done but i ran out of tape. ^o^
-David

Skidsteer
03-26-2007, 17:24
Go-Paks snack cups fit in a thin skinned koozies perfectly.

Good to know. I never thought of it.

Another tip: For those that are worried about plastic cups like the Go-Paks, etc. breaking down over time, you can lightly coat the the outside of the cup with something like Armour All to give it some U.V resistance.

1Pint
03-26-2007, 17:34
Good to know. I never thought of it.

Another tip: For those that are worried about plastic cups like the Go-Paks, etc. breaking down over time, you can lightly coat the the outside of the cup with something like Armour All to give it some U.V resistance.

For what it's worth: I tried using a go-pack inside a koozie for my hot drinks for a weekend trip. The plastic didn't seem to like repeated applications of boiling/almost boiling water. :(

Don't know if others have had better luck with them holding up, but I've switched to one of those 2 oz plastic "camp" cups shaped like the old Sierra tin mugs. Then I put the plastic cup inside a cut-down koozie. Keeps my beverage warm and doesn't have a problem with hot water.

Skidsteer
03-26-2007, 17:41
For what it's worth: I tried using a go-pack inside a koozie for my hot drinks for a weekend trip. The plastic didn't seem to like repeated applications of boiling/almost boiling water. :(

Don't know if others have had better luck with them holding up, but I've switched to one of those 2 oz plastic "camp" cups shaped like the old Sierra tin mugs. Then I put the plastic cup inside a cut-down koozie. Keeps my beverage warm and doesn't have a problem with hot water.

Yeah, that's the reason for the styrofoam cup liner. The Go-Paks seem too fragile by themselves.

Campbell's Soup at Hand (http://www.campbellsoup.com/images/microwav_souphand.jpg)cups work much better as a stand-alone cup and they're meant to have hot water in them.

Two Speed
03-26-2007, 18:09
I was messing around with duck tape and . . . Ah, duct tape, the backpacker's best friend. One thought: in light of the fact that many adhesives tend to soften if heated, has anyone tried this with coffee? I see a self-destruct possibility here, possibly accompanied by some impromptu break dancing. :p

Dave335, :welcome to WhiteBlaze, and I apologize if I'm coming off real negative here, but we are talking about the hiker's essential fuel: coffee. Face it, screwing up that first cuppa Joe just ain't good ju-ju.

Midway Sam
03-26-2007, 18:18
Ah, duct tape, the backpacker's best friend. One thought: in light of the fact that many adhesives tend to soften if heated, has anyone tried this with coffee? I see a self-destruct possibility here, possibly accompanied by some impromptu break dancing. :p

Dave335, :welcome to WhiteBlaze, and I apologize if I'm coming off real negative here, but we are talking about the hiker's essential fuel: coffee. Face it, screwing up that first cuppa Joe just ain't good ju-ju.

Hmmmm... not to mention the taste of "duct tape adhesive" in your drink. No thanks.

Vi+
03-26-2007, 18:55
An Orikaso Polystyrene Folding Cup weighs about 1.2 oz.

A Titanium Mug weighs about 1.6 oz.

I don’t have their volumes, but they hold sufficient amounts for me.

If the Titanium Mug falls into the fire, it's not a big deal. I prop it up next to my wood-burning stove to keep the contents warm. I've heated water in it directly over the fire for tea. When it gets dented, I straighten it out.

Spork
03-26-2007, 18:58
==============================

NOW ...if they could make this 1.5 oz cup in a thinner, lighter weight material I'd jump on it !!

'Slogger

'Slogger-
GSI's Cascadian tableware is thinner and lighter than their Lexan stuff and they make the 12 oz cup @2.1 oz and a 14 oz cup -which actually holds 16- @ 2.8 oz: http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/Cascadian/77141.html

I personally prefer to use a Ziploc 2 cup twist' n loc container that only weighs 1 oz (under 2 oz with lid) which serves as bowl, cup, rehydrator and canteen where necessary...Plus it nests nicely inside my cook pot. Kinda sad and pathetic that I derive such joy from a disposable container but there you have it!:D

Dances with Mice
03-26-2007, 20:15
Hmmmm... not to mention the taste of "duct tape adhesive" in your drink. It simply indicates that your coffee is too weak.

LostInSpace
03-26-2007, 21:26
The world needs a flexible styrofoam cup, so we could flatten it like a koozie and pop it back into shape when we want to use it. On the other hand, what would we do with all the space we would be saving in the landfills?

willyhog
03-26-2007, 21:38
I think the important thing which David335 is trying to get at is its completely free and weighs much less than something you can buy. BTW, I don't think going out and buying a "Thin-skinned Koozie" is free! :p (I certainly don't have one!) After the trail, which despite its wondrous beauty, interesting wildlife, and honest work that goes into hiking it, has downhills (arrgh knees), bug bites (scratches), and people who snore (zzz). I doubt a cup is going to make much difference in your hike! :-? Also, the negative attitude is not good! Rather than spying David335's idea, grinning wickedly, and whacking it multiple times (hard) with trekking poles, think of ways to improve it! :banana I'm not smart enough to do it, but some of you all can surely find a way to take away a simple bit of duct-taste!

Skidsteer
03-26-2007, 21:54
Also, the negative attitude is not good! Rather than spying David335's idea, grinning wickedly, and whacking it multiple times (hard) with trekking poles, think of ways to improve it

I'm pretty sure that's what we've been doing. It's just that homemade gearmakers aren't exactly known for our social graces.

It has something to do with the horrible taste of Duct tape, I'm thinking.

willyhog
03-26-2007, 22:15
:p it might, at that

Heater
03-27-2007, 00:18
I think the important thing which David335 is trying to get at is its completely free and weighs much less than something you can buy. BTW, I don't think going out and buying a "Thin-skinned Koozie" is free! :p

I have several that were free.

This one is from a Mazda dealership. Companies give them away or you can get them at some outdoor events for free. ;)

It pays to be cheap! :D

Two Speed
03-27-2007, 06:24
It simply indicates that your coffee is too weak.And the crust left by the honkin' strong coffee will reinforce the adhesive in the duct tape. Problem solved! DWM, you're a genius and Dave335's idea is validated!
Also, the negative attitude is not good! Rather than spying David335's idea, grinning wickedly, and whacking it multiple times (hard) with trekking poles, think of ways to improve it! Sooo, you volunteering to do the hot drink tests, and if so, can we get video, please?

OK, that's pretty snarky.

I think the idea, and the creative attitude that went into the idea that started this thread is great, but I have sincere doubts about the durability of this container if it's used for hot drinks.

BTW, willyhog, :welcome , and come on and join the fun. Some times the first idea has got problems, but a lot of times we come up with some great stuff. You ought to see the rig Skid's has worked up.

While we're on the subject of Skid's set up, I almost barked beer all over the keyboard when I saw that crack about using Armour All on a camp mug. Do the hiker babes get all hot and bothered if your mess kit has been detailed? Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years. :-?
I have several that were free.

This one is from a Mazda dealership. Companies give them away or you can get them at some outdoor events for free. ;)

It pays to be cheap! :DMuch like beer, my favorite gear is free.

David335
03-27-2007, 10:23
When I made gthe cup i was joking around I do have great doubts about the stability of the cup and plan to recylce it instead of useing it. And contrary to willyhog's belief I was just poseing an idea that could have evolved into something larger. But now i am focusing on a new project a duct-tape daypack which is almost complete. after that maybe a small tent??

GlazeDog
03-27-2007, 17:21
starting a day-pack right now!!

Sweet!!! I'll start duct tape version of thte Hennessey Hammock. What would be acceptable cordage/rope??? Or do I have to weave some out of the duct tape.

Though the real challenge is going to be the inflatable sleeping pad.:D

GlazeDog

Two Speed
03-27-2007, 17:55
. . . after that maybe a small tent??Actually a guy named Tyvek Man made a small tent out of . . . tyvek! May want to do a little research and see if there's some new materials to work with that TM didn't have to play with. You never know, there could be a monster innovation just around the corner.

Either that or you have a bunch of fun fooling around and learn a thing or two. Either way it's all good.