PDA

View Full Version : Gathering 2007! Woo Hoo!

Jester2000
03-25-2007, 22:28
Just got back today from the ALDHA Spring Meeting, and the board spent most of the time eating, staying dry, making fun of the town of Walnut Bottom, PA (maybe that was just me and Blister), and having much fervent debate over long-settled issues.

But here's the exciting bit.

On Friday we took a tour of the facilities for the Gathering at Gettysburg, PA. I've got to say, man was I impressed. The college, the campground, the Appalachian Brewing Company, the town, the proximity to my house, the battlefield, the hot college girls. . .I mean, what more could one ask? I know, I know, one could ask for hot college boys. I'm sure they're there too. Blister will give us a report.

If you can't tell I'm getting excited already, and this thing doesn't even happen until Columbus Day Weekend.

Hopefully I'll see a lot of you there. It may just be the best one yet.

Skidsteer
03-25-2007, 22:42
What's that?

Thought I heard somebody say Brewing Company...

Blister
03-25-2007, 22:47
:dance :dance

Sitting here just outside of Philly and awaiting my flight in the morning back to New Hampshire. I have to agree with Jester and add that this coming Gathering may be the best yet. Due to the wonderful scouting work of ALDHA members, they have obtained perhaps the most beautiful and functional spot yet for this coming years ALDHA Gathering. A beautiful campus awaits us with ample camping to rest our weary bodies.

It may be only March, the Gathering not until October, I cannot wait! The teamwork efforts at work are as impressive as the campus of Gettysburg College, Kudos to the ALDHA Board!

In addition to the beautiful campus, similar to Gatherings held in the past at Hangover, there is a wonderful town just footsteps from your favorite programs. The town is rich with historical air (and FYI Jester: the college men are just as impressive) a multitude of shops, pubs and coffee houses can occupy your time in case you may tire of hiker trash (I do not think that is possible) but there for the taking.

I cannot wait to share further information with ya'll as the plans are put into place!

Marcia - you were really missed and I hope you are feeling better!

:dance :dance

attroll
03-25-2007, 23:02
I am sort of disappointed that they do not keep The Gathering in the north one year and down south the next year like they had been doing. This may put me out of attending any future gatherings now. I do not have a three day weekend like most people do on Columbus Day every year and I am not to thrilled about driving 556 miles for a this every year. I know I drive 921 miles to go to Trail Days but that is a little different. I was just hoping they would keep the rotation like they were doing. I am sure this works out better for others and I am just bumming because I really enjoyed The Gatherings every other year in Hanover because I did not have to spend a whole day driving to them. It is just something I will have to learn to live with.

ShakeyLeggs
03-25-2007, 23:38
I am totally stoked that it will be held in Gettysburg. Almost my backyard. The last gathering I was able to attend was in Carlisle and it was a blast. I plan at this time to be there but you never know plans may change making attendance impossible. But as of now it is a go. We will see as it get closer to the time.

TJ aka Teej
03-25-2007, 23:51
Thanks for the update, Jester & Blister!
I'm really looking forward to this year's Gathering!

LEGS
03-26-2007, 00:33
I am sort of disappointed that they do not keep The Gathering in the north one year and down south the next year like they had been doing. This may put me out of attending any future gatherings now. I do not have a three day weekend like most people do on Columbus Day every year and I am not to thrilled about driving 556 miles for a this every year. I know I drive 921 miles to go to Trail Days but that is a little different. I was just hoping they would keep the rotation like they were doing. I am sure this works out better for others and I am just bumming because I really enjoyed The Gatherings every other year in Hanover because I did not have to spend a whole day driving to them. It is just something I will have to learn to live with.

TROLL, WHATS THE PROBLEM, YOU KNOW HOW FAR WE DRIVE JUST TO SEE YOU GUYS AND HELP A LITTLE WITH THE FEEDIN, SO GET WITH IT MAN, START SAVIN NOW FOR THE TRIP. YOU'LL LOVE IT, THE GATHERING IS TO MANY HUGS AND SO MUCH HIKER FUNK AND LOVE. JUST DO IT!!! SEE YOU GUYS IN MAY!!!!! TAKE CARE!

attroll
03-26-2007, 00:54
TROLL, WHATS THE PROBLEM, YOU KNOW HOW FAR WE DRIVE JUST TO SEE YOU GUYS AND HELP A LITTLE WITH THE FEEDIN, SO GET WITH IT MAN, START SAVIN NOW FOR THE TRIP. YOU'LL LOVE IT, THE GATHERING IS TO MANY HUGS AND SO MUCH HIKER FUNK AND LOVE. JUST DO IT!!! SEE YOU GUYS IN MAY!!!!! TAKE CARE!

I know Legs, the problem is that the wife gets car sick on long trips. I could not believe I talk her into going with me to Trail Days this year, but I think your wife going also has something to do with it.

Don't write me off on The Gathering yet. We will try to make it. The main problem like I mentioned is that I do not get a three day weekend like most people do on that weekend.

Sly
03-26-2007, 01:11
Troll, look at it this way, it could have been in West Virginia again. Sadly, I hope to miss this year. :( :) ;)

LEGS
03-26-2007, 02:11
I know Legs, the problem is that the wife gets car sick on long trips. I could not believe I talk her into going with me to Trail Days this year, but I think your wife going also has something to do with it.

Don't write me off on The Gathering yet. We will try to make it. The main problem like I mentioned is that I do not get a three day weekend like most people do on that weekend.

Would never write you off ,Sir!!! Just pickin at ya, know you wanna be there and probably will.I figure,you'll find a way to make it. Take care man, and drive safe. see ya in a couple months.

fiddlehead
03-26-2007, 03:00
I like the idea of a new place although Dartmouth was always a pleasure as well as Pipestem. Gettysburg campus is a nice one and i'm sure it will be a good one.
However, I must miss this coming year's gathering also for only my 3rd miss in the last 21 years. My son was born on Oct 14 here in Thailand and i am not going to miss his birthday this time. It was a heartbreaker being at the gathering last year and having to talk to him on the phone. Sorry folks, i guess my priorities are changing. The following year, 2008 I am hoping to bring them (my wife and son) to the gathering with me.

mweinstone
03-26-2007, 07:58
thanks jester for the work you do. i worked at gettysburg at 16 in the youth conservation corps, restoring the battlefeild to its 1865 look. cutting trees and lining ditches with rock, building the big roundtop trail and such. the battlefeild is spooky at night and i suggest we plan a night walk gosthunt. remember, this is a gravesite,the whole town. weird vibes abound. i dare anyone to sleep in the battelfeild alone at night. double tripple dare.

SawnieRobertson
03-26-2007, 14:02

I think we should all donate $10.00 to buy ATTROLL flight tickets, accommodations, and meals.--Kinnickinic

Fannypack
03-26-2007, 14:10
i dare anyone to sleep in the battelfeild alone at night. double tripple dare.
I hear that some hiker has stealthed there. I will not mention a name. Maybe he will come forward and fess up to the deed (illegal, I believe).

Wonder
03-26-2007, 15:01
Gettysburg is beatiful country. The fields are somber, but the campus is a party! It is a total package of an area.
Though I don't know where the winds will have blown me this fall, if I'm around I will try to organize a "ghost hunt" type thing......though they have one there already that is great.......I've done some work with the Philadelphia Ghost Hunters Socity there. Not gonna find many more in one spot! Hope I can be there!

The Scribe
03-26-2007, 15:27

Hey Legs, you tell him. LOL. Guy's if you do take up a collection for troll, let me know, I will hide in his luggage. :-?

I haven't been to one yet, and was hoping it was back in Hanover this year, but I just might have to put some thought into this.

TJ aka Teej
03-26-2007, 17:01
i dare anyone to sleep in the battelfeild alone at night. double tripple dare.
It's easy, and fun, to do! Easier to do nowadays, probably, because of budget cuts and staff reductions, I'm sad to say. Just LNT, and take nothing.

1Pint
03-26-2007, 17:40
Just LNT, and take nothing.

I know the traditional LNT saying is "leave only footprints, take only pictures" but I have to go with Teej on this.... leave nothing and take NO pictures. If you're going to commit a crime, PLEASE don't help the prosecution by providing proof of your crime. ;)

Can't wait to meet you all at the 2007 Gathering!!

saimyoji
03-26-2007, 21:15
I know the traditional LNT saying is "leave only footprints, take only pictures" but I have to go with Teej on this.... leave nothing and take NO pictures.....

What about those ghost recordings that those guys do in prison? I heard on Coast to Coast with George Noory some guys mentioning doing it at the battlefield....can't remember what they got though....spooky stuff....:dance

saimyoji
03-26-2007, 21:16
What about those ghost recordings that those guys do in prison? I heard on Coast to Coast with George Noory some guys mentioning doing it at the battlefield....can't remember what they got though....spooky stuff....:dance

I meant old no longer used prisons....

bfitz
03-27-2007, 11:03
Fannypack is a troublemaking old woman.

RedneckRye
03-27-2007, 13:43
I gotta say I'm not going to miss the 13 hour drive from Ohio and back to get to Hanover for the weekend. Hooray there are things to do around Gettysburg. Restaurants, a brewing company, not to mention the battlefield (which is a great reason to come out a day or two early). Now if only the area around Pipestem just had some of the same. Oh wait, i forgot. There is a CVS, dorm food and a pizza shop.

RedneckRye
03-27-2007, 13:46
[QUOTE=Jester2000;344858]Just got back today from the ALDHA Spring Meeting, and the board spent most of the time eating, staying dry, making fun of the town of Walnut Bottom, PA (maybe that was just me and Blister), and having much fervent debate over long-settled issues.

What, someone still moaning about the $3 dues increase?

StarLyte
03-27-2007, 13:50
[QUOTE=Jester2000;344858]Just got back today from the ALDHA Spring Meeting, and the board spent most of the time eating, staying dry, making fun of the town of Walnut Bottom, PA (maybe that was just me and Blister), and having much fervent debate over long-settled issues.

What, someone still moaning about the $3 dues increase?

Nah, no one is complaining about the $3 increase, as a matter of fact, members are so thoughtful and generous, that some have mailed in the additional $3 check for this year because they forgot the dues went up to $10 from $7. Cool eh? I love this community.

I want to do that brewery run :D Maybe we can get a group together the day before - you're talking Pottsville right?

ShakeyLeggs
03-27-2007, 16:08
I live 35 miles from Gettysburg have been there many times. Great place to visit but like any tourist town to many tourists:-?. I can't wait to go to the Gathering. :banana

Jester2000
03-27-2007, 17:32
I want to do that brewery run :D Maybe we can get a group together the day before - you're talking Pottsville right?

No, it's not Yeungling, which is in Pottsville, it's the Appalachian Brewing Company, out of Harrisburg. They make a crazy beer called Mad Elf. Their main brewery is not in G-Burg, but they have a restaurant and bar there.

Wonder
03-27-2007, 18:20
Brewing company good.....MMMmmmmm Beer

Yahtzee
03-27-2007, 19:01
I know we talked about this at the Warmer, but is Appalachian Brewing Co. (ABC) officially tied to the event or is it just a convenient bar in town?

Would love to see them pony up some proceeds to the ALDHA, ATC and the like. They do have AT stuff on the walls of their bars and on their beer labels. Seems like they jumpin' someone else's train. As it were.

Sidenote: As a lifelone Harrisburger, ABC's only really good beer is the Scottish Red. Everything else is chalky. The true Harrisburg beer is Treog's. Every beer distinct and full of alcohol by the volume.

Question #2: Jester, since I am already here in NYC and studying international law, can I be the Billville delegate the United Nations? There is a concept in international law called jus cogens. That means that there is never any justification for acts of slavery, piracy or torture. Those are the big three. I could lobby that contra-dancing be elevated to international norm of jus cogens. Whaddya say? I promise I would only use my diplomatic immunity for peace, justice and the fall of Wolf Blitzer.

Jester2000
03-27-2007, 19:27
I know we talked about this at the Warmer, but is Appalachian Brewing Co. (ABC) officially tied to the event or is it just a convenient bar in town?
Would love to see them pony up some proceeds to the ALDHA, ATC and the like. They do have AT stuff on the walls of their bars and on their beer labels. Seems like they jumpin' someone else's train. As it were.

No, it's just a convenient bar in town, although more convenient is the Pub, which is in the square (which is actually a circle). I don't know that ALDHA would want sponsorship from an alcohol related business. It's not the organization's kind of thing. It would be nice of them to maybe make a donation to ATC, though.

Sidenote: As a lifelone Harrisburger. . .

I understand that those are delicious. . .

ABC's only really good beer is the Scottish Red. Everything else is chalky. The true Harrisburg beer is Treog's.

Big fan of Troegs. Seriously, though. You've got to try Mad Elf. Think they've got it at The Doyle.

Question #2: Jester, since I am already here in NYC and studying international law, can I be the Billville delegate the United Nations? There is a concept in international law called jus cogens. That means that there is never any justification for acts of slavery, piracy or torture. Those are the big three. I could lobby that contra-dancing be elevated to international norm of jus cogens. Whaddya say? I promise I would only use my diplomatic immunity for peace, justice and the fall of Wolf Blitzer.

Yes, I think that's an excellent idea. Question, though. What language would the interpreter be speaking into your headphones?

Yahtzee
03-27-2007, 19:37
Creole, of course.

bfitz
03-28-2007, 00:11
Billville should withhold its UN dues until the UN cleans up its act.

Wonder
03-28-2007, 08:08
I second the motion

Blister
04-04-2007, 17:37
All in favor say "I"

Jimmers
04-04-2007, 21:13
The aye's have it! Next on the agenda?:D