PDA

View Full Version : Vandals busted at Woody Gap

Newb
03-26-2007, 09:34
Nicole Lena's Journal has an account of some vandals at Woody Gap. It's good reading...

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=169485

The Doctor
03-26-2007, 09:36
Yeah, my buddies girlfriends car had her CD's stolen out of it while they section hiked two weeks ago, also a car was stolen but the idiot got caught. Thanks for the call to the police whoever made it (Jackass Carthiefs).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-26-2007, 09:48
All I can say is I'm proud of Michele

Gray Blazer
03-26-2007, 10:31
Well done!!

Tha Wookie
03-26-2007, 11:14
That's right!

Way to go AT patrol!

And an appropriate use of a cell phone!

The Weasel
03-26-2007, 15:43
Good for them!!!

The Weasel

LIhikers
03-27-2007, 18:30
Hooray for the good guys and gals!

Rain Man
03-27-2007, 19:45
Hooray for the good guys and gals!

AMEN to that!!!!!!!!

Rain:sunMan

ed bell
03-27-2007, 19:48
Finally, something we can all agree on.:sun

orangebug
03-27-2007, 19:55
Until we learn that these dudes are Bushies who work for Halliburton, related to Gonzales and did an internship with the Swiftboat liars.

fonsie
03-27-2007, 20:34
Good going I wish someone was there to call the police when my truck was broken into at Keys Gap in west va, Jan 2006

Captain Crunch
03-28-2007, 00:05
This thread is very interesting. I started a section hike on March 18 with my daughter. We parked in the long-term lot at Neels Gap and got a shuttle to Springer. (by the way.....my daughter has "tagged" me with a new name: Captain Crunch and I tagged her "Pixie". I will change my name on this site as soon as I can figure out how).
Anyway, it took us 3 days to go from Springer Mtn. to Neels Gap. That last day we did a 15 miler (Whew!!). When we got to the Walasi Yi I ditched my pack and walked down to the parking lot.....and found that my Civic had been broken into. Not only that, but they pried up the locked hood latch and stole all loose items in my car, including my wallet. There was another vehicle in the lot with a broken window. When I called my wife, she was in quite a tizzy, since the baddies had been spending up a storm in Blairsville with my cards.
I called the cops and they came out to take a report. Luckily, my wife had a detailed report to provide that recorded specific spending locations, times and amounts. The officer left, but came back in about 25 minutes to tell me they had an identity and were on the way to make an arrest. Later, the investigator told me that this "crime spree" was getting to be a rather large deal (possibly bringing in the FBI). The crime ring had expanded to include several people, two of whom are still on the run as far as I know today.
This, of course, SUCKS. All hikers rely on the goodwill of people to enable them to get on the trail. The good news is that the people of Walasi Yi were FANTASTIC. They promptly gave me and my daughter free run of the showers and a spaghetti dinner (this was on Tuesday night). Cudos to the staff at Mountain Crossings.
The Union County Sherriffs department is also doing a great job. Hopefully, this is a rare incident and they will nab the creeps soon. I do wonder if the crooks noted in this thread are related to the crooks that broke into my car.

MOWGLI
03-28-2007, 05:06
When we got to the Walasi Yi I ditched my pack and walked down to the parking lot.....and found that my Civic had been broken into. Not only that, but they pried up the locked hood latch and stole all loose items in my car, including my wallet.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Caverdude.

Let that be a lesson to everyone. If you're doing an overnight on the AT or any other trail, take EVERYTHING of value out of your car but the spare tire, and leave it home. And whatever you do, don't leave your wallet in your unattended vehicle.

PS: It is especially important to make sure that NOTHING in your vehicle is in plain sight. No CDs, no cell phone, no articles of clothing, no spare change. Nothing.

fonsie
03-28-2007, 05:47
Well I learned my leson with keys gap. Now I test a parking lot out my sleeping in my truck on a friday night to make sure its safe. If someone try's to break in with my in my vehical well they better hope the police get there before I get out and grab hold of them. I kno its a little aggressive but someone has to teach these hood rats a thing or two.

Midway Sam
03-28-2007, 06:19
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Caverdude.

Let that be a lesson to everyone. If you're doing an overnight on the AT or any other trail, take EVERYTHING of value out of your car but the spare tire, and leave it home. And whatever you do, don't leave your wallet in your unattended vehicle.

PS: It is especially important to make sure that NOTHING in your vehicle is in plain sight. No CDs, no cell phone, no articles of clothing, no spare change. Nothing.

Great advice, Mowgli. I go so far as to COMPLETELY empty the glove box and any "cubby holes" my van has and leave them all OPEN so that someone can clearly look inside and see my van is completely empty.

Dances with Mice
03-28-2007, 06:28
When we got to the Walasi Yi I ditched my pack and walked down to the parking lot.....and found that my Civic had been broken into. Not only that, but they pried up the locked hood latch and stole all loose items in my car, including my wallet. There was another vehicle in the lot with a broken window. When I called my wife, she was in quite a tizzy, since the baddies had been spending up a storm in Blairsville with my cards. If there's a next time, may I recommend parking at Goose Creek Cabins? Once they watched my van for a week, with prior approval.

Nice meeting y'all at Gooch Mtn. You went all the way to Neels from there?!

BTW, I head about your story from the folks at Goose Creek on Friday. I thought they had the story of the breakins at Woody Gap confused. Didn't know it had happened to y'all.

Toolshed
03-28-2007, 07:22
NEVER EVER Leave WALLET in Vehicle to go hiking!!!!!! NEVER. NEVER.

StarLyte
03-28-2007, 07:26
If there's a next time, may I recommend parking at Goose Creek Cabins? Once they watched my van for a week, with prior approval.

Great idea DOM !!!

The Doctor
03-28-2007, 09:34
Well I learned my leson with keys gap. Now I test a parking lot out my sleeping in my truck on a friday night to make sure its safe. If someone try's to break in with my in my vehical well they better hope the police get there before I get out and grab hold of them. I kno its a little aggressive but someone has to teach these hood rats a thing or two.
Be carfeul doing this, some of these vandals are methed out crackheads and carry weapons(location, location)!

Sly
03-28-2007, 10:25
Nicole Lena's Journal has an account of some vandals at Woody Gap. It's good reading...

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=169485

It's good they caught the bad guys but I'm not sure how well I like the idea of hikers calling around to find shuttlers willing to deliver pizza.

jlb2012
03-28-2007, 11:22
It's good they caught the bad guys but I'm not sure how well I like the idea of hikers calling around to find shuttlers willing to deliver pizza.

Hummmm - sounds like we need a new catagory in the AT Database - for each road access we "need" to know who to call for pizza delivery. ;) Or for that matter who to call for delivered resupply. :rolleyes: Or possibly even for _BEER_ or coke. :p Too bad for the druggies however - there will never be a catagory for who to call to get the illegal drugs. :eek:

Captain Crunch
03-28-2007, 13:04
[quote=Dances with Mice;345981]If there's a next time, may I recommend parking at Goose Creek Cabins? Once they watched my van for a week, with prior approval.

Nice meeting y'all at Gooch Mtn. You went all the way to Neels from there?!

quote]

Hey Dances...actually, we went on from Gooch Mtn. shelter to Gooch Gap that night. We camped there and did the rest to Neels Gap the next day. I think it is about 13 miles from there to the top of Blood Mountain with another 2 to the trailhead.

And yeah, there were several posts about not leaving anything in the car. Now ya tell me!!! :)
I had put everything into the trunk of the car. The hood release in the car has a locking feature. Silly me. I thought that would work. The one good thing is I had one credit card, all of my cash and my driver's license in my pack.

1Pint
03-28-2007, 13:15
. (by the way.....my daughter has "tagged" me with a new name: Captain Crunch and I tagged her "Pixie". I will change my name on this site as soon as I can figure out how).

If you want to change your WB name, send a private message to ATtroll. My understanding is that he's the man for that sort of thing.

emerald
03-28-2007, 13:27
NEVER EVER Leave WALLET in Vehicle to go hiking!!!!!! NEVER. NEVER.

Don't just follow Toolshed's admonishment because you don't want to lose what you worked hard to earn. By encouraging thievery, you put others at risk of losing what they value too as well as being inconvenienced. Do your part to make trailheads unappealing to vandals and help keep insuring vehicles no more expensive than it needs to be.

emerald
03-28-2007, 13:38
Too bad for the druggies however - there will never be a catagory for who to call to get the illegal drugs. :eek:

That will help keep trailheads safer too!;)

TOW
03-28-2007, 16:33
I'm glad that dude got busted by a hiker! Right on!

Overpass
04-12-2007, 13:05

Heck, last week these guys (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=172343)apparently tried to call Miss Janet and get her to deliver pizza AND beer to them at Beauty Spot. :-?

max patch
04-12-2007, 13:17
Heck, last week these guys (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=172343)apparently tried to call Miss Janet and get her to deliver pizza AND beer to them at Beauty Spot. :-?

If what is written is the journal is correct, then I have a different opinion of Miss Janet than I used to.

Overpass
04-12-2007, 14:25
If what is written is the journal is correct, then I have a different opinion of Miss Janet than I used to.

I didn't get the impression from the journal entry that Miss Janet herself took anyone beer. Rather, that some hikers borrowed her van to deliver the goods. Miss Janet may not have even known the reason for the late-night errand other than it was a shuttle to Beauty Spot.

norub
04-12-2007, 17:56
I know that if it were me, I'd be pretty PO'd if I needed a shuttle, only to find out the van wasn't available b/c some hikers were using to to ferry beer and pizza to their buddies...

orangebug
04-12-2007, 18:11
Don't we all have far too many problems in the real world to start inventing new ones?

norub
04-12-2007, 18:38
I know that if it were me, I'd be pretty PO'd if I needed a shuttle, only to find out the van wasn't available b/c some hikers were using to to ferry beer and pizza to their buddies...

Forgot to add, that I am a beer-lover myself and have even been known to add a few cans of the good stuff into food drops/food caches. But to call a shuttle service and ask for it to be brought to me on the trail? Uh, no.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2007, 18:41
Forgot to add, that I am a beer-lover myself and have even been known to add a few cans of the good stuff into food drops/food caches. But to call a shuttle service and ask for it to be brought to me on the trail? Uh, no.

it ain't what happend. i just talked to one of the "riders"

mweinstone
04-12-2007, 19:04
dear rubmethewrongway, if beer and pizza fetching hikers are gonna be in the same town as you,.. dosnt it stand to reason thats gonna make your stay way greater? you could on the other hand call for a shuttle and while waiting, get hit by a falling peice of space debris. now that would piss you off. perspective please. pizza and beer and busy hikers means small trailtowns survival.

norub
04-12-2007, 19:10
it ain't what happend. i just talked to one of the "riders"
Then complain to mr happy or whatever, he's the one who said it happened.

trlhiker
04-12-2007, 20:24
According to the journal, they delivered it at midnight. Who would call for a shuttle at midnight. I see nothing wrong with it.

whitefoot_hp
04-13-2007, 15:14
Be carfeul doing this, some of these vandals are methed out crackheads and carry weapons(location, location)!
and let it be known that north georgia has its share of meth users... ive lived in this area all my life

Heater
04-13-2007, 17:29
According to the journal, they delivered it at midnight. Who would call for a shuttle at midnight. I see nothing wrong with it.

The call to Ms. Janets was a joke. Happy and some others at the hostel ran with it and woke up the hikers at midnight. Surprise! Not the hikers fault at all.

I don't see it is as a big deal anyway. :confused:

Lighten up. :rolleyes:

Newb
04-13-2007, 21:37
mmmm. beeer.

Riders of the Storm
04-14-2007, 22:51
RUMORFEST 2k7

Whoever started the rumor that we apparently "begged" Miss Janet to shuttle beer and pizza to us is COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS. What really happened was King Kong and the Gingerbread man hi-jacked Miss Janets van and held up a local pizza joint, but must have eaten it all on the way up because we recieved no pizza. Luckily the Gingerbread man DID NOT drink and drive, he gave the keys to Nessy the Lochness Monster and thankfully she was the designated driver for the night. We bargained with these cretons for well over 4 hours and since we spoke fluent ginger-nese no one was eaten and they handed over the rest of their beer. We then called on our old mentor Godzilla and he helped us bring peace and justice to the land. We then stabbed every witness to death with trekking poles/candy canes and re-hi-jacked Miss Janets van and dropped it safely off in her driveway.

Seriously though, we jokingly called our partner in crime "Goldenboy" who was staying at Miss Janets to bring some beer up and chill with us at Beauty Spot. He must have pulled some strings because we were awoken in our tents at 11 pm by the sweet sound of Miss Janets loud ass carborator. They shared some beers with us, we enjoyed a nice fire, and watched the approaching thunderstorm. A good time was had by all, no serious injuries....except for Gingerbread mans missing leg....We found crumbs leading into the abominable snowmans lair.

check out these pics (http://www.trailjournals.com/ridersofthestorm) for a jolly good time.

max patch
04-15-2007, 09:13
I didn't get the impression from the journal entry that Miss Janet herself took anyone beer. Rather, that some hikers borrowed her van to deliver the goods. Miss Janet may not have even known the reason for the late-night errand other than it was a shuttle to Beauty Spot.

Caption to pic of 4.7.07:

Hark! Awoken to the sounds of a terrible carborator and southern Hospitality (Partay time), Miss Janet and some fellow hikers brought us a few drinks and a good time.

Lone Wolf
04-15-2007, 09:15
it's part of the wilderness experience

Dances with Mice
04-15-2007, 10:30
Omigawd! Those pictures are horrible!

Lite beer?!!