PDA

View Full Version : Inner Thigh Chaffing!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Doctor
03-26-2007, 11:18
So i've heard that inner thigh chaffing is caused by salt buildup from sweat that evaporates leaving behind the salts which later form granules that chew the skin and cause the discomfort. Is this a common problem, or does it just happen to a small percentage of folks? I have heard that regular goldbond powder and the goldbond lotion works well to halt the pain, but as far as preventative maintenance goes I have only heard of wearing tight biking shorts. Any other known ways to prevent this from happening all together?

Vi+
03-26-2007, 11:58
Droller,

I’ve heard much the same as you have, “... inner thigh chaffing is caused by salt buildup from sweat that evaporates leaving behind the salts which later form granules that chew the skin ...”

You ask, “Is this a common problem ...?”

It’s only common among people who suffer from it, usually reported during warm and hot weather. See also, “Monkey Butt” and “Crotch Rot” and other colorful names.

You also ask, “... as far as preventative maintenance goes I have only heard of wearing tight biking shorts. Any other known ways to prevent this from happening all together?”

Offhand, I can think of two:

(1) Apply a lubricant to the area(s). In summer, you may as well apply this before conditions indicate you are in need. Vaseline is the active ingredient common amongst most lubricants, which also causes the your pants/shorts to stick to you (too kinky for you?), and will also darken the fabric at least temporarily (unsightly?). "Body Glide" is often used by runners to avoid chafing.

(2) Wash the area(s) at least after hiking ten miles, or at least twice daily, whichever is more frequent. Perhaps simpler, washing the troublesome area(s) before retiring or after getting up in the morning, and then again midway through the day should help a lot; it may even resolve the problem entirely. Weary would suggest you carry a piece of Ivory hand soap for this purpose. Probably a good idea.

vipahman
03-26-2007, 13:25
...but as far as preventative maintenance goes I have only heard of wearing tight biking shorts....
It doesn't have to be tight just form fitting like base layer long underwear. It's not at all constricting while keeping your assets safe. :sun

navy111588
03-26-2007, 13:27
as somone who does suffer from chaffing i dont think that is just the salt as it is the moisture and moist underwear. ever walk around wet after swimming?-same porblem ocurrs gold bond med. powder works the best for me, but if you decide to wash regularly i would make sure that after each time you are completly dry after

Footslogger
03-26-2007, 13:27
Wear loose fitting shorts and carry wet-wipes. Whenever you take a break during the day wipe that area down well and allow it to air dry. Will work wonders for the build up of salt residue from perspiration which generally leads to the irritation and chafe.

'Slogger

Newb
03-26-2007, 13:36
Body Glide. Miracle product. Ends chafing forever.

Trailers
03-26-2007, 15:03
yep, im not scared about blisters, bears, bad weather, long miles. chafing is the scariest thing for me. if i get a bad case, im out for a couple of days. my god the pain

PJ 2005
03-26-2007, 16:17
Wore athletic boxer briefs the whole way and never had a problem.

I keep hearing the bodyglide crowd, but when I ditched deodorant, that included look-alikes ;)

The Doctor
03-26-2007, 16:39
I think i'll try body glide, it seems like a good idea. My co-hiker whitefoot_hp has tons of the stuff from his former job as a fluffer for the adult film industry.

whitefoot_hp
03-26-2007, 16:42
droller, in your case i think the butt chafe has more to do with your "odd" sexual orientation and your lack of manliness.

shoe
03-26-2007, 22:26
well for some people it is caused by big fat thighs rubbing together. sweat or no sweat doesn't always matter.

rafe
03-26-2007, 23:15
I think i'll try body glide, it seems like a good idea. My co-hiker whitefoot_hp has tons of the stuff from his former job as a fluffer for the adult film industry.

I used Gold Bond for ages, it was certainly better than nothing. But that Glide stuff beats all.

Heater
03-27-2007, 00:28
well for some people it is caused by big fat thighs rubbing together.

Also known as makin' gravy...

...but I would not recommend putting it on your stovetop stuffing mix. :eek:

Pokey2006
03-27-2007, 00:43
I got me a pair of those big ole fat thighs y'all are talking about. But I only get chafing when I'm in shorts. Solution? I always wear pants, except when it is really, really hot (over 90 degrees). The pants I have are very thin nylon, so actually very comfortable even when it's hot out.

I'll bet that Glide is great. In a pinch, Desitin diaper rash stuff will give fast relief, and is found at even the smallest stores in the smallest towns.

warraghiyagey
03-27-2007, 01:03
well for some people it is caused by big fat thighs rubbing together. sweat or no sweat doesn't always matter.

I was waiting for someone to finally say it. The only time I've dealt with the topic is when my thighs were too ummm. . . robust (fat) to cleanly pass by each other from one step to the next.
I quit my pepsi addiction and voila, no more chafing. :) :D

warraghiyagey
03-27-2007, 01:03

I was waiting for someone to finally say it. The only time I've dealt with the topic is when my thighs were too ummm. . . robust (fat) to cleanly pass by each other from one step to the next.
I quit my pepsi addiction and voila, no more chafing. :) :D

warraghiyagey
03-27-2007, 01:05
Does anyone besides me hate when your laptop tricks you into looking like a dork-ass?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Newb
03-27-2007, 08:02
Actually, it's not just thighs. Tight seams can rub a spot while you're hiking. Also, I sometimes get a little chafing of the taint. Is that 'TMI'?

Anyways. You can always use the body glide to grease the seat in a privy and watch the hilarity that ensues. :)

Outlaw
03-27-2007, 08:15
Does anyone besides me hate when your laptop tricks you into looking like a dork-ass?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A small ($10) donation to WB affords one the luxury of editing dork-ass :eek: posts. For some of us, it is well worth the de minimus investment! ;)

fonsie
03-27-2007, 10:09
under armor boxer breefs....I havent had a problem since I started to were them

bfitz
03-27-2007, 10:50
The best thing I've found for thigh chafe and monkey ass is Instant Tapioca Pudding. No kidding, it really works. As a plus, when you're done putting the stuff on, you can eat the leftover pudding.

Midway Sam
03-27-2007, 11:43
thigh chafe and monkey ass is Instant Tapioca Pudding. No kidding, it really works. As a plus, when you're done putting the stuff on, you can eat the leftover pudding.

Lemme see... "thigh chafe" + "monkey ass" + "Instant Tapioca Pudding" = "eat the leftover"

No thanks. I'm not a big fan of the desert section at the Chinese Buffets.

Jaybird
03-27-2007, 11:52
So i've heard that inner thigh chaffing is caused by salt buildup from sweat that evaporates leaving behind the salts which later form............blah,blah,blah..........chaff,chaf f,chaff......................

GOOD OL' TALCUM POWDER....my friend!:D

TN_Hiker
03-27-2007, 12:14
The best thing I've found for thigh chafe and monkey ass is Instant Tapioca Pudding. No kidding, it really works. As a plus, when you're done putting the stuff on, you can eat the leftover pudding.

That sounds like it should be a trail name. How in the heck did you discover that?

Vi+
03-27-2007, 17:43
TN_Hiker,

You ask (Post #24), “How in the heck did (bfitz) discover (the best thing ... for thigh chafe and monkey ass is Instant Tapioca Pudding)?"

Isn’t willing to eat those filthy hamsters. Too few carbs.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2007, 17:44
I've hiked with Bfitz and I never saw him actually do this.

But then again, perhaps this is just as well. :eek:

bfitz
03-27-2007, 18:04
Tapioca? I thought everyone knew about this. Jester showed me, and I think bagotrix showed him. It's a PA thing, like scrapple.

I've hiked with Bfitz and I never saw him actually do this.

But then again, perhaps this is just as well. :eek:I usually avoid diong it while you're awake, because I don't wanna share, and I know how you can be about tapioca. It really does work, the proof is in the pudding.

LIhikers
03-27-2007, 18:23
I'm pretty sue there are multiple causes, and cures, for this chaffing. I've only had it once in years of day, overnight, and multiple overnight hikes. My wife and I went into Great Barrington, MA in search of a new element for our water filter. A local family adopted us for the night and let us shower, do laundry, and fed us 2 great meals before driving us back to the AT the next morning. Almost imediately I began to feel "hot spots" on the inside of each thigh, and NOT in a "good" way. I can only guess that it was caused by laundry soap or regular soap that I wasn't used to. I now carry an ,as of yet, unused tube of Body Glide.

LIhikers
03-27-2007, 18:24
I'm pretty sure...............

bfitz
03-27-2007, 18:26
As an alternative...you can try tough actin tinactin, or "tapioca lite" as real hikers call it....plus tapioca tastes better and lasts longer.

Jack Tarlin
03-31-2007, 10:13
Just enjoyed a big bowl of leftover tapioca this moring. It was WONDERFUL!

oldfivetango
03-31-2007, 11:03
Too bad you guys don't know the blessing of being so BOW-LEGGED
that your thighs have never touched.But in the few tighter areas I
use a mix of Gold Bond and Johnson's Talc with cornstarch.Many
construction workers use just plain old cornstarch that you get at
any grocery in the summer time to stay dry.Keeps down the salt deposits
in sensitive areas dontchaknow.:banana
For those of you who use a lubricant I notice that I have never seen
Baby Oil mentioned in these discussions and can't help but wonder why?
Inquiring minds want to know.........Thanks.
Oldfivetango

BigCat
03-31-2007, 14:22
As a husky boy myself, chaffing is definitely a concern of mine. I find that underarmor compression shorts almost completely solve the issue. After all, chaffing is simply a skin abrasion caused by two surfaces rubbing together. Wearing compression shorts basically eliminates any rubbing.

Also, I like to use a little extra strength goldbond because of the cool, tingly sensation it provides my nether regions.