PDA

View Full Version : Is it still thru-hiking when...

whitefoot_hp
03-26-2007, 16:22
You hire one of these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherpa#Sherpas_and_mountaineering

and have him carry a bunch of luxurios and heavy gear while you follow him with cigarrets and a camera?

The Doctor
03-26-2007, 16:33
Of course it is, as long as you pass every blaze then it counts, doesn't matter who's carrying your gear. That's just common trail knowledge you moron. Little ditty bout' jackl and diane!

saimyoji
03-26-2007, 16:57
What if you miss one blaze? Could that be forgiven? What if you don't know where all the blazes are? How would you know if you passed every blaze? How many blazes are there, so we can count as we hike? :-? :rolleyes:

emerald
03-26-2007, 19:02
What if you miss one blaze? Could that be forgiven? What if you don't know where all the blazes are? How would you know if you passed every blaze? How many blazes are there, so we can count as we hike? :-? :rolleyes:

Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions to add to those I've quoted. Since I want to hike my own purist hike on which I will drink only untreated spring water or Purist Pale Ale brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company in The Keystone State of the A.T., I wonder if you might clarify a few things for me about tagging those "friendly white markers?"

Do I need to tag blazes on trees that have fallen?
What about leaners?
Must I touch only blazes I on the south sides of trees when hiking northbound and vice-versa when hiking southbound?
Which blazes do I tag when the trail runs parallel to the lines of latitude as on Blue Mountain?
What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree nor the other?
Do double-blazes need to be tagged twice?
Are blue blazes not tagged with the left hand by those who are right-handed?
What should I do in Pennsylvania if I encounter a fat blaze on a sapling that may or may not mark a State Game Lands boundary?Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?

rafe
03-26-2007, 19:08
Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?

...or when wind-blown snow obscures all the blazes -- those on trees, and on the rocks on the footpath. (Been there, done that.)

emerald
03-26-2007, 19:16
...or when wind-blown snow obscures all the blazes -- those on trees, and on the rocks on the footpath. (Been there, done that.)

Is a purist hike under such conditions even possible? It must have taken you forever under such conditions! Did you have the coordinates for each blaze and carry a wisk broom and small shovel? Guess you needed extra food too.

rafe
03-26-2007, 19:26
Is a purist hike under such conditions even possible? It must have taken you forever under such conditions! Did you have the coordinates for each blaze and carry a wisk broom and small shovel? Guess you needed extra food too.

I do very little winter hiking/camping and this experience is one of the reasons why. I spent way too much time trying to find the trail or reassure myself that I was still on it. It would have been very easy to get lost, and if I had, it would have been a seriously bad situation. FWIW, this was on the Centennial Trail, the AT between Rte. 2 and the summit of Mt. Hayes, just east and north of Gorham.

emerald
03-26-2007, 19:33
I guess that winter hiking stuff is for more experienced hikers. Maybe I should stick to 3-season hiking until I get hiking under those conditions sorted out.;)

Lion King
03-26-2007, 20:45
I hear if you miss any blazes in PA the ghost of Earl shaffer will snore beside you all the way through till CT.

Im still haunted....

freefall
03-26-2007, 21:30
Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions to add to those I've quoted. Since I want to hike my own purist hike on which I will drink only untreated spring water or Purist Pale Ale brewed by Appalachian Brewing Company in The Keystone State of the A.T., I wonder if you might clarify a few things for me about tagging those "friendly white markers?"
What about leaners?
Must I touch only blazes I on the south sides of trees when hiking northbound and vice-versa when hiking southbound?
Which blazes do I tag when the trail runs parallel to the lines of latitude as on Blue Mountain?
What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree or the other?
What should I do in Pennsylvania if I encounter a fat blaze on a sapling that may or may not mark a State Game Lands boundary?Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?

What about just having hikers purchase those fast pass thingies you see stuck to windshields in areas with toll roads? We could embedd all the white blazes with sensors and wear the fast pass thingie on our foreheads. That way there's no question.

rafe
03-26-2007, 21:36
What about just having hikers purchase those fast pass thingies you see stuck to windshields in areas with toll roads? We could embedd all the white blazes with sensors and wear the fast pass thingie on our foreheads. That way there's no question.

Now I'm thinking of the toll booth in Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a whole *****tload of dimes!"

whitefoot_hp
03-26-2007, 21:41
so, is it still thru hiking if you have a sherpa?

emerald
03-26-2007, 22:14
so, is it still thru hiking if you have a sherpa?

Sherpa, van, what's the difference? Is an ascent of Mt. Everest supported by Sherpas not a legitimate, recognized ascent?

Newb
03-26-2007, 22:16
You're all on drugs. I'm convinced. Don't deny it. :)

emerald
03-26-2007, 22:22
You're all on drugs. I'm convinced. Don't deny it. :)

I deny it completely. I will admit I've not been right and can't seem to get right since MinnesotaSmith Update was closed! I also seemed more normal when posting after mweinstone.:rolleyes: ;)

freefall
03-26-2007, 22:47
Now I'm thinking of the toll booth in Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a whole *****tload of dimes!"

:DLMAO:D good one!

Joshrm78
03-26-2007, 22:50
Can i ship a sherpa to the us ? would be nice to have how much u think they cost lol...

freefall
03-26-2007, 22:51
Sherpa, van, what's the difference?

Does Sherpa Van have a WB account? :welcome

Oh, wait. Sherpa. Van. I get it but I don't think you can get a van up Everest.:D

emerald
03-26-2007, 23:07
Can i ship a sherpa to the us ? would be nice to have how much u think they cost lol...

Sure a Sherpa would be nice, but could you handle the burden of the shipping?:D

weary
03-26-2007, 23:08

What about leaners?
What about those blazes that seem to be on neither one side of the tree nor the other?
The proper protocol is to kick the blazes on fallen trees. If in doubt about whether a blaze is for north or south bound hikers, hug the tree. Cut down any confusing blaze trees. If in doubt about the meaning of a blaze, call Harpers Ferry on you cell phone.

freefall
03-26-2007, 23:12
Sure a Sherpa would be nice, but could you handle or bear the burden of shipping?:D

USPS has those flat rate global boxes, just poke a few holes in it.

Cookerhiker
03-26-2007, 23:16
Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions to add to those I've quoted. .........Also, I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?

Hey, it ain't just New England. I did a week of section hiking in SW Virginia where some snow drifts were waist high. I know I missed some blazes, especially where the trail crossed an open field (exposed to winds, high drifts) and some of the posts with blazes were buried. In fact, the very first photo I placed on WhiteBlaze entitled "Deep Depth" illustrated this.

My club's (PATC) guidance for maintainers says not to make blazes too high or too close together. Whoever wrote that piece certainly hasn't hiked much in deep snow.

woodsy
03-26-2007, 23:22
[quote=Shades of Gray I plan to hike only when there's no snow on the ground. How do you guys who hike in the winter in New England tag the blazes when the snow gets above breast height?[/quote]

When the snow is that deep, we use an electronic blaze finder. It can detect a paint blaze of any color through several feet of snow. We never lose the trail or miss a blaze, ever.:rolleyes:

ed bell
03-26-2007, 23:29
How about this method?:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=183894&postcount=1
Gasoline engine probably excludes it on quite a few sections.:D

emerald
03-26-2007, 23:29
My club's (PATC) guidance for maintainers says not to make blazes too high or too close together. Whoever wrote that piece certainly hasn't hiked much in deep snow.

I suspect PATC would get more complaints from summer hikers about blazes painted too high by some Paul Bunyan that caused them neck injuries than winter hikers for whom they weren't painted high enough.

emerald
03-27-2007, 01:07
What about just having hikers purchase those fast pass thingies you see stuck to windshields in areas with toll roads?

You must have learned about E-Zpass in Warren's 1-page book, where he talks of flowing with the trail.;)

bfitz
03-27-2007, 01:56
I don't know what thru-hiking is. I'm never through.

freefall
03-27-2007, 02:09
I don't know what thru-hiking is. I'm never through.

I was thinking this weekend how I could hike more. So, I decided that on nights I don't have school, I walk home from work. Door to door- 6 miles along the stunning South Platte River.
Tonight was my first night- not a bad walk and I even saw a couple of white blazes.

Didn't use a Sherpa though.

The Doctor
03-27-2007, 09:11
I think the sherpa's cost of shipping would be more than the cost of the sherpa for the venture. But w/ all the xtra money Whitefoot_HP has saved from the his job as a fluffer in the adult film industry I think he could afford it. After hiking with his slow ass I would suggest he does hire a sherpa if he wants to complete the full 2100 miles in a single year. Wut Wut!

The Doctor
03-27-2007, 14:08
Just kidding, much love whitefoot!

leeki pole
03-27-2007, 14:39
The proper protocol is to kick the blazes on fallen trees. If in doubt about whether a blaze is for north or south bound hikers, hug the tree. Cut down any confusing blaze trees. If in doubt about the meaning of a blaze, call Harpers Ferry on you cell phone.

Weary! Totally out of character for you. LMAO!!!!:)

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2007, 15:16
It never fails to strike me that the people who are most outspoken about criticizing or making fun of those who insist on hiking the entire Trail are those who either haven't done the Trail yet, or those who did......and skipped chunks while doing so.

But one of their major pastimes is busting the chops of those who felt it was important to hike the whole thing without cutting corners or intentionally skipping anything.

A good shrink would have fun with this.

bfitz
03-27-2007, 18:21
It never fails to strike me that the people who are most outspoken about criticizing or making fun of those who insist on hiking the entire Trail are those who either haven't done the Trail yet, or those who did......and skipped chunks while doing so.

But one of their major pastimes is busting the chops of those who felt it was important to hike the whole thing without cutting corners or intentionally skipping anything.

A good shrink would have fun with YOU. And a great shrink would use whiteblaze and hikers as source material for a dissertation.

bfitz
03-27-2007, 18:22
Jack's looking over my shoulder and just said he's gonna rip me a new one. Stand by.

weary
03-27-2007, 18:38

We have one. Right here on Whiteblaze. How about it. OB?

atkentucky
03-27-2007, 22:33
Ugh so the 100 miles i used a moped in Virginia or riding the moose in Maine doesnt count?

leeki pole
03-28-2007, 10:02
Ugh so the 100 miles i used a moped in Virginia or riding the moose in Maine doesnt count?
After further review: Moose, yes. Moped, no.:cool:

freefall
03-30-2007, 00:30

After further review: Moose, yes. Moped, no.:cool:

But was there gas in the moped?:-?

Grampie
03-30-2007, 12:11
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin;345673]It never fails to strike me that the people who are most outspoken about criticizing or making fun of those who insist on hiking the entire Trail are those who either haven't done the Trail yet, or those who did......and skipped chunks while doing so.

Jack, You are right again. I too have discovered that the folks who find fault in walking the whole way without skiping any, are the ones who ridicule those of us who have.:)

bfitz
03-30-2007, 13:37
I find no fault in anyone's hike or lack thereof. I enjoy mocking certain folks for a variety of other reasons, though.

mudhead
03-30-2007, 19:11
Good picture of a guy riding a moose at the KI gate heading in to the Gulf Hagas area. Not worth hitching from the Pleasant River to see, but if you are driving in that way it's a hoot. On the counter, under glass.

emerald
03-30-2007, 19:23
I find no fault in anyone's hike or lack thereof.

Nor do I. I was merely having a bit of fun with my earlier posts in the event some misunderstood. When I hiked the A.T. in 1980, I hiked with the widest range of people imaginable and got along fine with all of them.

freefall
03-30-2007, 21:38
I find no fault in anyone's hike or lack thereof.
I agree. Hike how you wanna , I ain't gonna stop ya. Sherpa, having resupplies brought to ya so you don't leave the trail, aquablazing, `tsall good in da hood!

I enjoy mocking certain folks for a variety of other reasons, though.

When I was a wee lad, I learned that some ants were great to watch all by themselves. But other ants, well sometimes they needed to be poked at with a stick.

emerald
03-30-2007, 21:58
When I was a wee lad, I learned that some ants were great to watch all by themselves. But other ants, well sometimes they needed to be poked at with a stick.

I agree that watching ants is great entertainment. They can move mountains and they aid in the dispersal of some of my favorite native plants.

It's good they're not bigger. When they don't like what you're doing, they bite!:eek:

I did enjoy the earlier posting regardless!:D

freefall
03-30-2007, 22:15
I agree that watching ants is great entertainment. They can move mountains and they aid in the dispersal of some of my favorite native plants.

It's good they're not bigger. When they don't like what you're doing, they bite!:eek:
Yeah but sometimes it's worth it! :D

I did enjoy the earlier posting regardless!:D

which? the quoted one? or...

emerald
03-30-2007, 22:17
The wacky posts nearer the beginning.

freefall
03-30-2007, 22:39
The wacky posts nearer the beginning.
OK.

But would the shepra be ready for the all the issues involve for just being in AmerKia?
Visa. It's hard to get more than 3 month visa in the USA since 9/11. "Yeah, I'm gonna hike from Springer Mtn in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in ME. "
" So you can do this in 3 moths?"
" I was thinking more like 6 months".
"Oh." " But that would be more than our limit."
"I know but could you make an exception?"
"Well, it's a national treasure and all but I just don't know."
"All I' m gonna do is carry some guys pack up the mountain for him, not move here, not illegally squat here, just carry his pack."

"Well, do you have Visa?"

" And a Mastercard but my US Visa is only good for 3 months, I need 6 months!".

"So, you need a Visa?"

"GD!!! yeas, just a Visa. I just need to be here for about 6 months. After that , I'll leave and you don't have to worry. "

"Ok, so do you have any nuclear waepons on you?"....

fiddlehead
03-30-2007, 23:54
There are plenty of Sherpas already living here in the states. If anyone really wants one, let me know, i can possibly hook you up.
But a better idea would be to go to Nepal and hike their territory. it is much more scenic and interesting. and over there, you can get them for around $10 a day. (again let me know, i can hook you up) They can teach you some amazing things about backpacking. (one of my Sherpa friends, came to America and was teaching some mountaineers in Colorado and was asked to teach them how to wipe your butt with a rock. he thought that was pretty strange. )

Here's a picture of some of the sherpas we used a few years ago. Taken at lower elevations:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1649&stc=1&d=1175313053

bfitz
03-31-2007, 01:48
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................sherpa.......... ....?