PDA

View Full Version : A way to cut pack weight that is often neglected...

1Pint
03-26-2007, 17:59
I may be a newbie long-distance hiker, but no detail is too small for my concern as I prepare to leave (aack! 13 days!!) for my thru. The recent thread about Nicole & Michele calling the cops to report trailhead vandalism got me to thinking about packing a cell phone.

As we all know, cell phones can be heavy by UL pack standards. I weighed mine - it's a whopping 4.3 oz! However, I cleverly deleted all messages and extraneous address book entries to shave .9 oz. So, after you're done drilling holes in the handle of your toothbrush, don't neglect to go through your cell phone address book and get rid of those ex-boyfriends and such. ;)

Midway Sam
03-26-2007, 18:20
I may be a newbie long-distance hiker, but no detail is too small for my concern as I prepare to leave (aack! 13 days!!) for my thru. The recent thread about Nicole & Michele calling the cops to report trailhead vandalism got me to thinking about packing a cell phone.

As we all know, cell phones can be heavy by UL pack standards. I weighed mine - it's a whopping 4.3 oz! However, I cleverly deleted all messages and extraneous address book entries to shave .9 oz. So, after you're done drilling holes in the handle of your toothbrush, don't neglect to go through your cell phone address book and get rid of those ex-boyfriends and such. ;)

Excellent tip! I do the same with waypoints & tracks in my GPSr and "stale" music in my iPod. I once cut nearly 300 pounds out of my pack by deleting my wife's Ruben Studdard MP3s!!

Vi+
03-26-2007, 18:34
1Pint,

You ask, “How can I still have so much to do???”

For starters, you’re worrying about lightening the weight of your cell phone.

“(N)o detail is too small for my concern as I prepare to leave ... for my thru.”

Excellent. Another weight saving idea follows.

“(C)ell phones can be heavy ... I cleverly deleted all messages and extraneous address book entries to shave .9 oz.”

Stay clever. Leave the cell phone home.

While you’re anxiety causes you to ineffectually piddle about, consider getting back in touch with some of your ex-boyfriends. One may be willing to carry some of your pack weight.

Jester2000
03-26-2007, 18:46
1Pint,

You ask, “How can I still have so much to do???”
For starters, you’re worrying about lightening the weight of your cell phone.

I got the impression that she's not so much worrying about it as joking about it. Seems to be a good coping mechanism to keep her from freakin' out.

RockStar
03-26-2007, 18:50
ROFLMFAO...:p

saimyoji
03-26-2007, 19:53
Hmmm...I agree with shaving ozs. that add up....but a sense of humor can't weigh more than a gram or two....

RiverWarriorPJ
03-26-2007, 20:00
ROFLMFAO...:p

Ditto.....Good 1 One Pint...:D..

Jester2000
03-26-2007, 20:23
Hmmm...I agree with shaving ozs. that add up....but a sense of humor can't weigh more than a gram or two....

To make it lighter you could cut off the "o" and the "r." It won't be as funny, but it'll be more musical.

saimyoji
03-26-2007, 20:26
To make it lighter you could cut off the "o" and the "r." It won't be as funny, but it'll be more musical.

Well, being as I am, I usually walk around without the "h" as well.

Just Jeff
03-26-2007, 20:30
Good pint, 1Point.

And remember - smiles are more aerodynamic than frowns. They don't actually weigh less...just feels like they do.

I bet lots of folks have some extra baggage they could leave behind when they hike. Hopefully they can lose most of it along the way.

1Pint
03-26-2007, 21:29
Excellent tip! I do the same with "stale" music in my iPod.

Just don't forget, if you slather on a little of that extra peanut butter, stale music can be a tasty trail treat (also known as T3).

consider getting back in touch with some of your ex-boyfriends. One may be willing to carry some of your pack weight.

Thanks for the laugh, but anyone in the ex category is staying firmly there.

I think it depends on the person... some don't have much of one, others carry around enough for several people.

To make it lighter you could cut off the "o" and the "r." It won't be as funny, but it'll be more musical. See, now here's a man carrying around an extra sense of humor. Since you're going to be on the trail this year Jester, you might want to consider dumping some of your excess humor on some poor, humorless sole. (yes, that's the correct spelling. I did not want "soul".)

Good pint, 1Point.
And remember - smiles are more aerodynamic than frowns. They don't actually weigh less...just feels like they do.
Ahh, my former crew bud. :) There's not much about me that's aerodynamic (As the song goes: I was built for comfort, not speed.) but I have a suspicion that I'll be grinning much, much more than frowning in the coming months. I just can't wait to get out there and LIVE!! :sun :sun

But, if there are any other useful gram-cutting ideas you all have, I'm ready to take the knife to the gear, or whatever. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point to get that pack under 65 pounds even just 60 would feel better. ;)

ps - did you all know that you can't use more than 4 of the annoying little happy smiles per message? I just tried to use 6 and was told to go back and fix it. What a hoot! I say 1 dancing banana = 4 of anything else. Can we put it to a vote?

Mags
03-26-2007, 22:33
But, if there are any other useful gram-cutting ideas you all have,

WEll, you probably knew this, but a good microbrew does have more calories per ounce than a typical domestic. It is all about that weight to calorie ratio you see.

I also find that boxed wine works quite well in the backcountry. Glass weighs too much....

Hope these tips help.

emerald
03-26-2007, 22:44
See, now here's a man carrying around an extra sense of humor. Since you're going to be on the trail this year Jester, you might want to consider dumping some of your excess humor on some poor, humorless sole. (yes, that's the correct spelling. I did not want "soul".)

A sole on the A.T. would be about as much out of its element as a lobster! What do you have against sole anyway? You must be one of those flounder fans?:rolleyes: :D

Outlaw
03-27-2007, 08:39
A sole on the A.T. would be about as much out of its element as a lobster! What do you have against sole anyway? You must be one of those flounder fans?:rolleyes: :D

Fillet SOG... woops, I meant touche'!:D

Grinder
03-27-2007, 08:57

A sense of humor is like helium, and helps to lift the pounds in your pack!!

Keep on keeping on, 1 pint!!
Miles of Smiles
Tom

Lanthar Mandragoran
03-27-2007, 12:53

wow.... :D

Just Gene
03-27-2007, 21:57
Most hikers I encountered on my 2006 thru hike "wished" they had taken their cell phones along. Just remember to get a new battery that has an extended life and oh yea dont forget the charger...:) I enjoyed chattin with my wife on occation as well as some other important tasks...
Just Gene Class of 2006