PDA

View Full Version : ~SNP~07 April

RiverWarriorPJ
03-26-2007, 20:51
~7 April 2007~
Just an OverNiter in ShenanDoah National Park at Big Meadows Camping Area..
Hike to the CampGround near the Byrd Visitors Center.....Will be my 1st visit to this area, but rumor has it that there are great trails & numerous WaterFalls...Just about the same run as HikerHead & HOIs last week...

Contact me 4 da details....Map link below....
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/big_meadows_map.pdf"]http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/big_meadows_map.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf)
z

Hikerhead
03-26-2007, 21:32
Take something to keep the ticks off, I found a few deer ticks on me. Check out the black berry cobler and ice cream at the wayside, yummy!

RiverWarriorPJ
03-27-2007, 07:42
Thnx 4 the tick info HH......I guess I'll start the PuPs flea/tick treatment a lil earlier this year....

jlb2012
03-27-2007, 08:04
I use permanone on my clothing - does well for keeping the ticks off - did not get any ticks on the hike - but then again I did not go off trail in the Big Meadow.

LupeLeah
03-28-2007, 07:42
Hmmm, this one might just work for me. Can I assume that pets are ok there?

jlb2012
03-28-2007, 08:11
pets on 6 foot leash are OK on most trails and campgrounds - see http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/visit.htm#pet for exceptions

LupeLeah
03-28-2007, 18:47
thnx 4 the link Hog.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-31-2007, 08:27
x
x
Sky Watch 4 SNP (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/skywatch/?sfld=waynesboro,%20va&dayNum=1)
x
x

LupeLeah
03-31-2007, 10:07
lol, kool link PJ, did you see the cat or racoon just to the left of the tent?

LupeLeah
04-01-2007, 17:43
It's looking good 4 me. I'll be leaving Fri evening, so catch up to me Sat morn. See ya out there!

Hikerhead
04-02-2007, 20:26
Hey PJ. I may come back up and do this again since I missed some of AT that I need to hike anyway. Send me some details when you get a chance. OK?

Marta
04-02-2007, 20:41
I'm planning to hike Big Meadows to Rockfish Gap over the three-day Easter weekend. Maybe I'll see some of you out there.

Marta/Five-Leaf

RiverWarriorPJ
04-02-2007, 21:02
Great guys.......I'm leaving Norfolk/VaBeach around 3 or 4 AM....When I firm it up I'll let you know.....Again....GREAT..

LupeLeah
04-03-2007, 20:18
It's looking good 4 me. I'll be leaving Fri evening, so catch up to me Sat morn. See ya out there!

Maybe I spoke too soon. SNP forecast for this weekend is Brrrrrrrrr.

Fannypack
04-03-2007, 21:07
chance of snow in Waynesboro on Sat,April 7, hi = 37 deg
http://www.wunderground.com/US/va/waynesboro.html

Marta
04-03-2007, 21:31
Yay! I get to trot out the winter gear one more time this season...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Hikerhead
04-03-2007, 21:35
Heavy pack here it comes!!

RiverWarriorPJ
04-03-2007, 21:40
[quote=Marta;348077]I'm planning to hike Big Meadows to Rockfish Gap over the three-day Easter weekend. Maybe I'll see some of you out there.

If your starting Friday @ the Meadow.....you'll probably be loooong gone b/4 we...or at least I arrive...Too bad....unPacking my winter gear also....brrr is right..lol..

Marta
04-03-2007, 22:04
We're actually starting Thursday, so I think we'll be miles away when you get there. Assuming we don't freeze in place...

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

teachergal
04-03-2007, 22:07
I was out on the AT in SNP today and it was a BEAUTIFUL day!!!!! Almost 80 degrees...almost too hot....barely a cloud in the sky....

The ice storm damage is quite remarkable....be sure to thank the Rangers and the trail maintainers for clearing things for hikers!

Enjoy your hike!

Cookerhiker
04-04-2007, 16:51
I was out on the AT in SNP today and it was a BEAUTIFUL day!!!!! Almost 80 degrees...almost too hot....barely a cloud in the sky....

The ice storm damage is quite remarkable....be sure to thank the Rangers and the trail maintainers for clearing things for hikers!

Enjoy your hike!

I was also out yesterday and the day before doing trail maintenance in the Southern section. Spent the night at HighTop Hut with 6 other hikers taking advantage of the beautiful weather (which I believe only lasted 2 days). With the sun shining through still-denuded trees, I received a good facial sunburn.

As you said, the trail crews did yoeman's service removing the ice storm blowdowns. Monday, I painted some new blazes to replace those trees casualties of the storm.

teachergal
04-04-2007, 19:02
I too managed to get sunburned yesterday...I applied sunscreen, however I , missed the backs of my hands...funny how the sun can find any spot you leave unprotected!

I was on Hightop yesterday too...I didn't go the hut, hiked up from Smith Roach Gap and stopped at the summit then hiked back down to SD and then hiked SD back to my car....great hike!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work getting the trail in ship shape! :)
This weekend is looking up for hiking...it will be cold, but there's only a 20% chance of snow! I actually like it better when it's cold so am looking forward to getting in one last cold weather hike before it warms up for good!

Hikerhead
04-04-2007, 19:28
I did a quick hike up to Hightop Mtn on Sunday night. My grandmother lives in Culpeper and on the way back I decided to stop at the SLD pull off just up past the ranger station on 33, Swift Run Gap It was strange too that no one was at the ranger station. Maybe they were taking a privy break...so anyway. If the mileage figures are right, it was almost 3 miles up and 3 miles back. I did 6 miles in 1:45 minutes. World record speed for me. I didn't get started till 7PM so coming back was in the dark. Since I left my lights at home, I stopped at a Lowes on the way and picked up this tiny little headlamp for 19 bucks made by Coast. I was pretty impressed with it. Saw 4 deer, heard an owl, saw some kind of cat like creature about a mile from the 33, it could have been a cat. The trail was in great shape. This completed the southern third of SNP for me. It was a great little hike.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2007, 22:30
I did a quick hike up to Hightop Mtn on Sunday night. My grandmother lives in Culpeper and on the way back I decided to stop at the SLD pull off just up past the ranger station on 33, Swift Run Gap It was strange too that no one was at the ranger station. Maybe they were taking a privy break...so anyway. If the mileage figures are right, it was almost 3 miles up and 3 miles back. I did 6 miles in 1:45 minutes. World record speed for me. I didn't get started till 7PM so coming back was in the dark. Since I left my lights at home, I stopped at a Lowes on the way and picked up this tiny little headlamp for 19 bucks made by Coast. I was pretty impressed with it. Saw 4 deer, heard an owl, saw some kind of cat like creature about a mile from the 33, it could have been a cat. The trail was in great shape. This completed the southern third of SNP for me. It was a great little hike.

Now if you had gone up one night later, you'd have benefited from the fresh white blazes that I painted on Monday.

Hikerhead
04-04-2007, 22:52
I know, can't imagine it looking any nicer Cookerhiker. I know you work hard out there and thanks for what you do. There was two or three hat catchers out there that I was going to mention to you....naaa. No big deal. Oh, I did see one little batch of yellow flowers coming up that someone planted long long ago.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2007, 22:55
I know, can't imagine it looking any nicer Cookerhiker. I know you work hard out there and thanks for what you do. There was two or three hat catchers out there that I was going to mention to you....naaa. No big deal. Oh, I did see one little batch of yellow flowers coming up that someone planted long long ago.

Thanks - actually I claim no credit whatsoever for the ice storm cleanup last November. I was out of town when that occurred. The trail crews did yoemen's service. I wonder what the Park will look like when summer comes with all those decapitated treetops.

Hikerhead
04-04-2007, 23:32
I think the canopy will look fine once the leaves come out but the ground is going to look like crap forever. No way to get off trail now, like walking between two fences made out of brush.

Marta
04-08-2007, 17:20
Just got back from a Big Meadows-Rockfish Gap hike. I was amazed at how much wood is down on the ground. Lots of the forest looks as if a giant Bush Hog passed overhead. Tent sites are few and far between. OTOH, if you want to have a campfire at the shelter, firewood is plentiful.

The trail crews did an incredible job of clearing the Trail. Thanks!

Marta/Five-Leaf