PDA

View Full Version : How much time to plan a thru

ga>me>ak
08-22-2003, 10:03
Do you think someone could plan a thru in 2 weeks. This is excluding equipment. I know you could just haul ass and start hiking and learn along the way but .....
Thoughts and comments please

gravityman
08-22-2003, 10:15
If you have to get health insurance, that could be more difficult, as could other aspects of your "life" but as far as just planning for the actual hiking, yes. The only planning you really need to do is getting transportation to springer, check out Baltimore Jack's "must send" maildrop list, put together a bounce box, and go. No need to do any additional planning. Oh, and by your food for the first 5 days or so ;)

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
08-22-2003, 10:36
Yes. I believe most people, myself included, over plan for thruhikes. Many people I've spoken to quickly found out most of their plans turned out to be wrong, mine certainly were. Even after reading all of these forums, what works for you is often something you've never even thought of prior to you yourself having to place one foot in front of the other under completely unknown conditions. Very few items that I started with were still with me when I got to Maine.

max patch
08-22-2003, 10:38
I gave notice and "planned" for my thru nights and weekends over the next two weeks as I worked out my notice. And this was before the internet existed AND I didn't know that the Philosophers Guide (the guide before WF took it over) existed unil I ran into another thru with a copy in NC. All you really need to know before you start is where your first resupply will be.

Take WF's guide or the Companion and the Data Book and you have everything you need to plan as you go.

Peaks
08-22-2003, 17:43
There are several aspects of planning a thru-hike. All involve as much or as little time as you want.

First, tell your family and friends about your dream.

Second, give your employeer at least 2 weeks notice.

Third, research and procure equipment. That can consume months.

Fourth, plan your food. I believe that most people underestimate their need to consume 4000 calories per day. When the calorie defecit build up, you get tired and run down, and loose interest in hiking.

Fifth, make a base line schedule. Your family and friends should have some idea of when the expect to be where.

Sixth, using the base line schedule, plan you food drops and resupply points.

Lots of details to prepare for a 5 1/2 month long adventure.

bulldog
08-22-2003, 19:06
i had about a month of loose planning when i thru hiked. it really wasnt much planning. all i did was go online to various websites and see what people had to say. i also didnt have to buy much gear or use planned maildrops. the only thing you really need if you dont use much planning is the data book. that was my lifeline for resupplying. 2 weeks can be plenty of time if all you are doing during that two weeks is planning your hike.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2003, 23:43
A thru-hike is just a bunch of 3-6 day section hikes. No major planning needed. Don't do mail drops. Money is freedom.