PDA

View Full Version : How much and what provisions do you carry, food wise?

KMaha
03-27-2007, 15:35
:-? Now that I am packing for a 4 day trip it occurs to me that my food takes a lot of spce. When I hiked before, there being a time gap to now, I always had someone with me if the trip was more than two nights. They helped split the load. Now I am seeing that food doesn't compact like I had hoped. Granted it would help if I could afford to replace my 3 season 2 man tent (10yrs old) and get the hand held models I have read about on this board. It takes a lot of space in the pack and I have to work around it. Attaching it to the outside simply moves the weight to far back.
Still, four days of decent food takes a lot of space. I am using Mountain House right now but I doubt I could for a longer trip.
So what do you eat and how long can you go between resupply?? Any packing or storage secrets?

hopefulhiker
03-27-2007, 15:41
Get a used tarp tent.. You can repackage some of that dehydrated food to save space. The longest I went without ressuply was in the GSNP and the 100 mile wilderness. In other words about a week..

rafe
03-28-2007, 06:55
It sounds like you're packing too much food. Figure two pounds per person per day, max. In fact, most folks on short hikes end up eating less.

As for tents, there are lots of inexpensive solo backpacking tents that weigh around 3 lbs. (Eureka Soltaire or Spitfire, Sierra Designs Lightyear, Big Agnes SL1 among the best-known examples.) Henry Shires TarpTents are lighter still.

moxie
03-28-2007, 08:34
I pack Bagles,. peanut butter, Lipton type noodles, TVP for protien, Snickers Bars, and instant oatmeal for breakfast, add water to pouch and eat it hot or cold. Pig out when you get to town but hike light. I hike alot in black fly country so prefer a small one man tent to a tarp. I have a Mountain Hardware solo but there are several excellent one person tents that weigh 3 pounds or less. If not in bug country a tarp is an excellent choice.

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 09:07
I pack a hammock not a tent so I save room there, and use the pad to form the structure of my backpack. I use a lot of the typical dehydrated foods, I figure I go through 4 a day, then add some nuts, mix and a few bars in there as well. You can stack and roll up 5 days of the stuff to about the size of a plastic grocery bag or a little bigger then a basketball. Now I'll guarantee I'm twice your weight, so I doubt you need that much.

I also carry a few snares and a small wrist rocket or crossbow and sometimes a rod and reel. Many a time I have been able to snag a fish, rabbit, a foul or a few squirrel to supplement, but that is only if I'm staying in one spot for a day or two.

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 09:09
Also, protein supplements like Myoplex can be a 300 calorie meal in the palm of your hand, just add water and shake. You can carry 2 weeks worth easy in your bag.

The Doctor
03-28-2007, 09:25
The things you will really need on the hiike are carbs (powerbars, candy, etc.) this will be invaluable. Also, i used to use mountain house meals but they contain few essential fats and proteins. I would recomend pre-packaged chicken or tuna in a pouch mixed with some sort of freeze dried noodles, this will be great fopr dinner or lunch and is small and compact. For lunch try P.B.&J's or tuna snacks. Breakfast can be dealt with bagels and more powerbars. THat's what i've been using lately on shorter trips and they work out fine and keep me full. Experiment around and see what you can mix and match at the grocery store but remember to eat good foods instead of just junk foods(YOU WILL NEED PROTEIN, CARBS AND FATS!!!!).

KMaha
03-28-2007, 19:27
I use Cliff bars as I really like them. I am thinking the Mountain House packaging is too large. I also wish they had more available in single servings. I am going to break down the packaging.
I agree I am carrying too much food. An old habit. I will look at the pre-packaged tuna and chicken. Hadn't given it much thought before.
Thanks for the advice.

Skidsteer
03-28-2007, 19:54
I pack a hammock not a tent so I save room there, and use the pad to form the structure of my backpack. I use a lot of the typical dehydrated foods, I figure I go through 4 a day, then add some nuts, mix and a few bars in there as well. You can stack and roll up 5 days of the stuff to about the size of a plastic grocery bag or a little bigger then a basketball. Now I'll guarantee I'm twice your weight, so I doubt you need that much.

I also carry a few snares and a small wrist rocket or crossbow and sometimes a rod and reel. Many a time I have been able to snag a fish, rabbit, a foul or a few squirrel to supplement, but that is only if I'm staying in one spot for a day or two.

Four a Day? From the get-go?

Damn, you are a hoss.

Appalachian Tater
03-28-2007, 22:24
Weight is perhaps more important than volume, within reason. Mountain House and any other freeze-dried food is about as efficient with weight as you can get.

Rhino-lfl
03-29-2007, 08:23
Four a Day? From the get-go?

Damn, you are a hoss.

Well, most of the food packs are 300-600 calories, so even at 600 calories, that is only 2400 calories, then throw in another 1000 or so for other stuff and it's still a restrictive diet, considering I'm 6'3" 290 lbs, carrying 40-50lbs, hiking, drinking (oops dirty little secret), pushing down trees and wrestling with bears.

Hoku
03-29-2007, 10:39
I carry eight servings of junk food and a hot meal per day. Everything but the hot meal must have a greater than 100 calorie / ounce ratio. I have trouble eating more than 2000 calories worth a day...

Fully loaded, I carry 14 lbs of food with my 14 lbs of gear and 4 lbs of water. This will last me a week.

Midway Sam
03-29-2007, 10:52
I use the Mountain House Pro-Paks. They are slightly more than the original 1-person Mountain House meals, but slightly less than the original 2-person Mountain House meals. The perfect amount for me.

Plus, they are vacuum sealed which makes them much smaller...

http://www.rei.com/product/722466

Fannypack
03-29-2007, 11:50
try http://www.richmoor.com/download/richmoor_catalog.pdf and u will see on page 3

NO-COOK ENTREES—SERVES 4
Prepare in the pouch with boiling water only.
Entree serving size is 1 1⁄4 cups each unless otherwise noted.
------------------------------oz. -- cost
00503 MACARONI & CHEESE - 9 1⁄2 $5.50
00504 LASAGNA W/MEAT ----9 1⁄4 $9.00
00506 SPAGHETTI W/MEAT -10 3⁄4 $7.95
00505 BEEF STROGANOFF --10 1⁄2 $9.00
00502 BEEF STEW ----------7 1⁄4 $9.75
00508 CHICKEN & RICE -----11 ----$9.00
00501 TURKEY TETRAZZINI -11 1⁄4 $9.00
00514 TURKEY SUPREME -----9 ---$9.00

I have found that using a backpacker will eat a serves 2 meal so i have found that the above NO-COOK ENTREES—SERVES 4 will actually be 2 dinners....